Hey, Doc!

Graphic novels. Weekly rags. The @$$holes.

Hey, Doc!

Postby Dave F. on Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:49 am

Glad you mentioned the Byrne interview thingee in the current TalkBack. Been thinking on such a thing for quite some time now, and spurred by your post, I decided to drop the man an inquiry.

Long story short:

The interview is a go! Repeat, the interview is a go!

-Dave
Dave F.

Postby Pacino86845 on Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:55 am

Some comic drawer gettin' asked for interviews??!!! Nobody asks me for interviews no more, and I got an Osca'...
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby docfalken on Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:02 am

Holy crap!!!

If I sent you a picture of myself, can you have him draw me and She-Hulk ... like holding hands?

I'm serious though. I really love John Byrne. If you talk to him, ask him if he has any plans to do anything in 3D (I'm not talking about that Batman 3D thing either). I would love to see one of his faces in a 3D rendered format.

Don't feel bad Pacino. Gossip mags have you hitting up an Olsen Twin this week. Lay off the blue pills gramps. Your photo looks like Violet Beauregard.
docfalken
HAGGIS?!?!!?!!?!

Postby Guest on Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:21 am

Question duly noted, Doc, and thanks for making the post that finally gave me the impetus to act on something I'd been mulling over for quite some time.

And make no mistake, I'm gonna bust my ass to make this one a winner. I'm a Byrne fan from back in the early '80s, so I know my stuff on the guy. Gonna ask the hard questions, ask the fun questions, and hopefully, ask a lot of questions that haven't been asked before.

D'you ever catch the Brian Vaughan interview I did a year or two back, Doc? http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=17832 I'm planning to emulate that one a bit, though maybe with a touch less geeking-out if I can help it. I'm pretty proud of the fact that it's one of only three interview links Vaughan has on his own board. I'd love to do something as sweeping with Byrne, though I don't know if he'll be as receptive as Vaughan was to the tidal wave of questions I'm cooking up. ;)

-Dave

Postby docfalken on Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:57 am

I didn't remember your interview but I did read it tonight. I was on a decade and a half hiatus from comics until I got involved with this site. The Walking Dead and the subliminal power of Ambush Bug brought me back.

I checked the Wikipedia on John Byrne and they had some interesting factoids and links. Turns out that Byrne has been working things out in Strata.

http://www.stratacafe.com/profiles/profile_detail.asp?profileID=1427

Also the Wiki spends entirely too much time trying to decide if he is an egotist or talented curmugeon. I just think he has a reverence for our heroes. Even the She-Hulk fun never tread on the respect he had for her role in the universe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Byrne
docfalken
HAGGIS?!?!!?!!?!

Postby docfalken on Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:04 am

And since it is early morning and I'm blathering.

I'm very fascinated about his insistence that everyone on his message board use their real names. Yet everyone on the board is ripping off somebody's creative work without attribution for their avatar, but that seems to be fine. Not that we are any better, but geez, at least I can be Doc "I'm going to Sizzler" Falken when I'm online.

It doesn't make me feel like saying something I wouldn't say to a person's face, it just keeps Google from telling my future bosses that I'm really into She-Hulk.
docfalken
HAGGIS?!?!!?!!?!

Postby burlivesleftnut on Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:38 am

Huh? My avatar is 100% me baby.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Dave F. on Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:40 am

Doc, for better or worse, Byrne's stringent rules about using real names on his forum stem from the fact that he's had some crazy stalker-types infiltrating his forums for years now under different aliases. There's this one guy - I think he still posts over on Joe Quesada's board - and that dude literally does nothing but post anti-Byrne stories. Been doing it for years, and at least for a while, it seems like he was doing it on a daily basis. It's really creepy actually, and the name rules are intended to create an atmosphere that discourages such trolling.

Now there are probably better ways to do discourage trolling, but Byrne's kind of Old World in his views. It's a matter of honor for him that folks stand by their word with their name, and the lighter side of internet posting - the giddy freedom of anonymity - doesn't seem to register much for him.

-Dave
Dave F.

Postby Pacino86845 on Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:52 am

I think most people here have revealed their real identities over on The Meet the Phantom Zoners forum... I was pretty surprised how many people did that.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby docfalken on Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:54 am

I had no idea about the stalker-types. Now I just feel like an ass for mocking the guys old world conventions.

Dave, you should also click the register button and formerly add yourself to our pirate nation. Arrgggghhh!!
docfalken
HAGGIS?!?!!?!!?!

Postby burlivesleftnut on Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:58 am

Oh you weren't talking about our board. Sorry.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Return to Comic Books