Charles Burns' BLACK HOLE Hardcover

Graphic novels. Weekly rags. The @$$holes.

Charles Burns' BLACK HOLE Hardcover

Postby Colin on Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:34 am

The BLACK HOLE hardcover collecting all 12 issues of Charles Burns' masterpiece came out today (10/18/05).

Collecting the entire twelve issue run of Charles Burns's masterpiece -- ten years in the making! -- this hardcover edition is an incredible value and is -- at least in our opinion -- the most important graphic novel release of the year. It is a work that transcends the generic conventions it employs to tell an exquisitely haunting tale of teenage alienation that cuts to the core of what it is like (or, at least, was like, in the 1970s) to grow up in the United States of America when forced to confront and come to terms with the animal being that every human being contains within. Even though during its original publication it was nearly a year between issues on average, every issue was worth the wait. Charles Burns is an artistic genius who, through applied, long-term, disciplined focus, has managed to channel what could have remained simply an obsession, into a great body of work of which this series is the climax.

From Publishers Weekly
Starred Review. The prodigiously talented Burns hit the comics scene in the '80s via Raw magazine, wielding razor-sharp, ironic-retro graphics. Over the years his work has developed a horrific subtext perpetually lurking beneath the mundane suburban surface. In the dense, unnerving Black Hole,Burns combines realism—never a concern for him before—and an almost convulsive surrealism. The setting is Seattle during the early '70s. A sexually transmitted disease, the "bug," is spreading among teenagers. Those who get it develop bizarre mutations—sometimes subtle, like a tiny mouth at the base of one boy's neck, and sometimes obvious and grotesque. The most visibly deformed victims end up living as homeless campers in the woods, venturing into the streets only when they have to, shunned by normal society. The story follows two teens, Keith and Chris, as they get the bug. Their dreams and hallucinations—made of deeply disturbing symbolism merging sexuality and sickness—are a key part of the tale. The AIDS metaphor is obvious, but the bug also amplifies already existing teen emotions and the wrenching changes of puberty. Burns's art is inhumanly precise, and he makes ordinary scenes as creepy as his nightmare visions of a world where intimacy means a life worse than death. (Oct.)
Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

Product Details
Hardcover: 368 pages
Publisher: Pantheon
Language: English
ISBN: 037542380X

Amazon has it right now for less than 17 bucks. It's almost 400 pages. Hardcover. That's a fucking steal.

I flipped through one of the issues months ago and fell in love with it. I inquired about it more and found that this hardcover was coming out collecting them all. I'm getting mine this weekend.
Colin
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Pacino86845 on Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:41 am

Thanks for the heads up Colin, I'll be on the lookout for that one!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Colin on Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:45 am

Here's some covers and stuff from the individual issues.

Colin
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby burlivesleftnut on Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:13 am

Wow, bad ass. I just bought it.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

BLACK HOLE by Charles Burns (SPOILERS)

Postby jeffkantoku on Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:45 am

(SPOILERS included below)

I read this book this graphic novel but don't own it, so I can't use it for reference...

I'm forgetting a couple of things...

I just wanted to know what is the mutation Keith manifests?

And what mutation does Rob's old girlfriend (before Chris) manifest?

Anyway, I was quite blown away by the story... quite moving in parts with some very powerful imagery. I highly recommend it.

If anyone wants to discuss the book, please add your comments to this thread. What are your favorite parts of the book?
jeffkantoku
GLIB

Postby Theta on Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:52 pm

I'm thinking about picking this up...other opinions? I trust Amazon about as far as I can throw it.
This comment is in no way meant to insist your opinion is wrong or be considered an edict, solely this poster's opinion. That said, you are still a fool and will kneel before me in supplication.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby jeffkantoku on Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:36 pm

Check out the comments about the book in the Talk Back here: http://www.aintitcool.com/tb_display.cgi?id=22661#1107685
jeffkantoku
GLIB

Return to Comic Books