The Dark Tower

Graphic novels. Weekly rags. The @$$holes.

The Dark Tower

Postby athenabodicea on Sat Oct 29, 2005 12:13 pm

http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=21683

This will be cool huh??? Now if I could just finish the books...
ImageImageImage
athenabodicea
GEEK GODDESS

Postby John-Locke on Sat Oct 29, 2005 12:21 pm

These will be the first Comic's I've bought in over a decade, do you think it's best to preorder to get good first issues that may be collectors items or are comics worth jack shit these days?
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby athenabodicea on Sat Oct 29, 2005 12:31 pm

John-Locke wrote:These will be the first Comic's I've bought in over a decade, do you think it's best to preorder to get good first issues that may be collectors items or are comics worth jack shit these days?

Comic books are only worth what someone is willing to pay for them....

But you love this story & should get them just to have... not as an investment... Then who knows, someday, maybe you will be the only one with them left and someone will offer you the big bucks for them... HUH???
ImageImageImage
athenabodicea
GEEK GODDESS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sat Oct 29, 2005 3:59 pm

John-Locke wrote:These will be the first Comic's I've bought in over a decade, do you think it's best to preorder to get good first issues that may be collectors items or are comics worth jack shit these days?

I don't know how good Marvel is at mailing stuff out but D.C. is notorious for fucking up mail orders. Support your local comic shop!

And you're missing out if you haven't bought any comics in a decade.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Sat Oct 29, 2005 4:07 pm

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yes, yes, yes.

I love these stories, I hope the comics do them justice. And I can't wait to get more Roland Deschain backstory.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby Flumm on Sat Oct 29, 2005 4:49 pm

I noticed the story when it came out, and I have to say, I'm really liking the art. It's cinematic, and looks inventive enough to stop it being too retro and cheesey.

(Deffer all cheese based comments to the CHEESE thread please. Unless you can contain it to cheese-from-a-tube based scenerios. Thank you.)
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Sat Oct 29, 2005 5:08 pm

you mean like a comment about...GOUDA?!

wait...no...i didn't mean it....NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

(Lord Voldemoo has been cast into a pit of fiery oblivion. Not really because he was off-topic, but because I have grown weary of his obsession with cheese. End of line.)
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby athenabodicea on Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:15 pm

Has anybody heard or seen anything else about this... I still have not finished the books... So I think I will definitely buy these when they come out in April.... Just curious if anyone has heard anything...

And when are they going to make the movie already???
ImageImageImage
athenabodicea
GEEK GODDESS

Postby The Ginger Man on Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:11 pm

I haven't heard anything else about this, which is strange since it's connected to the Marvel Hype Machine.

Honestly, not too excited about this project, and I love the book series. It's one of the few works by King I've read and the only one I've re-read. I enjoyed the last 3 books, but felt they were weak. I hate to question the author, but I don't know if he still has the needed edge.

Also, and I'm sure it's been said before, but shouldn't this be a Vertigo title? I mean seriously, Dark Tower is violent, gory, metaphysical, and in many places quite sexual or even perverted. What the hell is this doing at Marvel? Even when Marvel publishes books that contain these things, they feel more like little kids getting excited b/c they had the stones to use the word "fuck."

One last gripe, I don't like the art. Correction, I don't like how it's colored. Jae Lee's work is great. But the inking is just so....shiny, glossy, pretty. The Dark Tower should feel dark, rough.

Check out these fine shots from various comics.

http://anime.zu.org.ru/0pic/zilich1/preacher_13saint.jpg

http://anime.zu.org.ru/0pic/zilich1/preacher_12seraphim.jpg

http://thedeadend.free.fr/picts/hellblazer.jpg

http://home.c2i.net/deagol/transmet/3smashmouth01_250pw_q3.JPG

The inks they're using on Dark Tower make it look like Hollywood-ized. Which of course makes me beg that no one ever try and adapt these books to film.
The Ginger Man
Hong Kong Drizzle

Postby thomasgaffney on Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:03 pm

athenabodicea wrote:Has anybody heard or seen anything else about this... I still have not finished the books... So I think I will definitely buy these when they come out in April.... Just curious if anyone has heard anything...

And when are they going to make the movie already???

I haven't heard anything about this since the first story on AICN, but it is a title that will get me reading comics again.

A movie would kick so much ass. But the stories are so long and detailed, the Dark Tower would best be served as an HBO series or something.

Athena, what are you up to in the books? How can you not be done???
find me: twitter and goodreads
find my book: amazon and apple and barnes & noble
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby burlivesleftnut on Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:40 pm

The comic was delayed and there is still no word on whether King is actually going to write this or just supervise.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby athenabodicea on Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:59 pm

thomasgaffney wrote:I haven't heard anything about this since the first story on AICN, but it is a title that will get me reading comics again.

A movie would kick so much ass. But the stories are so long and detailed, the Dark Tower would best be served as an HBO series or something.

Athena, what are you up to in the books? How can you not be done???

I know... I know... It's a tragedy really...
I started The Wastelands but didn't get through it.... I have no idea why I never finished.. I think it was just the time in my life where I didn't have the time to.... I really, really did love them though...

HBO series is a great idea btw.... I was totally thinking about who could play Roland and call me crazy but I think Sawyer from Lost (Josh Halloway) would be perfect.... He is almost as I imagined Roland in my head....

Anyway... maybe once I pick up the comics it will inspire me to go back and finish the books....
Last edited by athenabodicea on Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage
athenabodicea
GEEK GODDESS

Postby thomasgaffney on Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:35 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:The comic was delayed and there is still no word on whether King is actually going to write this or just supervise.

That sucks. Thanks for the head's up, Burl.
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby thomasgaffney on Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:36 pm

athenabodicea wrote:HBO series is a great idea btw.... I was totally thinking about who could play Roland and call me crazy but I think Sawyer from Lost (Josh Halloway) would be perfect.... He is almost as I imagined Roland in my head....

Anyway... maybe once I pick up the comics it will inspire me to go back and finish the books....

Sawyer is a good pick. I can see it...
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby athenabodicea on Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:48 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:The comic was delayed and there is still no word on whether King is actually going to write this or just supervise.

Well that sucks....
I was really looking forward to this... :(
ImageImageImage
athenabodicea
GEEK GODDESS

Postby wonkabar on Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:49 pm

Yeah, I like that pick too, along with it being on HBO
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby athenabodicea on Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:55 pm

Whoo hoo!!!!

So many wonderful characters to cast....

ImageImageImage
athenabodicea
GEEK GODDESS

Postby Amithraldur on Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:06 am

As for the movie/mini-series, I'm pretty sure King has stated that the rights will never be for sale. Dark Tower is his baby, and I very highly doubt that he will allow it to be decimated in film format. King novels just don't make good movies. There is far too much internal, character stuff going on that doesn't work on screen.
Amithraldur
GLIB

Postby Fievel on Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:33 pm

Oh Discordia!

From the link....

THE DARK TOWER: THE GUNSLINGER BORN is two short months away. Get a first look at the most eagerly anticipated comics release ever in this exclusive sketchbook featuring character designs, penciled pages,
commentary, and a primer on the world of the Dark Tower. Best of all, much like CIVIL WAR: OPENING SHOT, this is FREE to get everyone prepared for the coming year's biggest event! In 2007, a Gunslinger will be born; will you be ready?
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Fievel on Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:36 pm

And another one...

Come Reap Some More!!

In this month's issue of MARVEL SPOTLIGHT, we'll shine the light on STEPHEN KING'S DARK TOWER! We'll talk to the creative team that will unite Marvel Comics with the concepts of one of the giants of modern fiction, getting an inside look at Robin Furth, Peter David and Jae Lee and we'll even talk to Stephen King himself! So if you're a longtime fan of DARK TOWER or curious as to what it's all about, you'll want to check out this issue of MARVEL SPOTLIGHT!
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby wonkabar on Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:30 pm

Amithraldur wrote:As for the movie/mini-series, I'm pretty sure King has stated that the rights will never be for sale. Dark Tower is his baby, and I very highly doubt that he will allow it to be decimated in film format. King novels just don't make good movies. There is far too much internal, character stuff going on that doesn't work on screen.

This is true
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby Fievel on Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:47 pm

I refuse to believe that King will NEVER allow the Dark Tower series to come to life, regardless of what he says. I think it's more likely than George Lucas making Episodes 7-9. If given the right medium, scripts, producers, directors*, actors, blah blah blah... I think King would make it happen. The only thing I'd be worried about is his love of B-movies and the possibility of the overall project looking like ass.

But these comics have me pumped. Who would have thought the world would ever have another DT project to look forward to? Bring on the back stories!!!!!!

*ABG - Anyone But (Mick) Garris.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Brit Pop on Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:06 pm

If its got Kings stamp on it - then I'll buy these with aplomb!

Roland can finally wind his horn in glorious technicolor.

Hope King has final and total say on everything visual - I've always wanted to know exactly how he thinks a lobstrosity looks like... pics anywhere anyone?
Brit Pop
AIRWOLF

Postby dimnix on Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:00 pm

I'm obsessed with the Dark Tower series, so I thought I'd give my thoughts.

The comics - I cant wait. Apparently the first few issues are just a retelling of Wizard & Glass. It'd be better to start off with a new, unseen bit of story but at the same time I love the Wizard & Glass story and if it's beautifully drawn it'd be great.

A Dark Tower movie...

I dont get all the calls for an HBO miniseries. I mean really, thats all you want from the Dark Tower books? A miniseries? The franchise deserves better. It deserves alot of time and effort, and enough money to capture the epic scope.

These books could totally be made into films. There's a great cinematic quality to all of them (especially Waste Lands), and while you'd have to cut chunks out of the last three (or maybe ditch Song Of Sussanah altogether, or extend the overall story to make that feel like a full chapter of the story), I think the potential is insane.

And the most interesting casting idea I've heard is Guy Pearce for Roland (especially if he's allowed to age a bit more before the films are made).

So, I was absolutely love to see a well done Dark Tower film series. But at the same time... the thought of a badly done Dark Tower film series, that would suck pretty bad.
dimnix
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Fievel on Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:50 pm

From an interview with Joe Quesada:

When Mr. King came to the offices -- and yes, I totally fan-boyed out on him, we had a meeting to discuss story ideas, and during that, he started thinking about what kinds of Dark Tower stories he could tell, and where things were left untouched. There were a few of us from Marvel, Mr. King, his agent, and on the phone was Robin Furth. Robin is pretty much the keeper of the Grail when it comes to The Dark Tower -- in comic terms, she's the continuity cop for the series, and has written the official Concordances on the series, which track all the characters, the lands, the history -- everything.

Mr. King just kind of looked up at the ceiling, and off the top of his head, started rattling off stories and stories and stories. He was telling about parts where Roland would go and do this and such, and then meet the villain here, and on and on. Literally, in ten minutes, he rattled off enough stories fill up roughly four or five trade paperbacks. He just did it offhand -- the stories just poured out of him, and all of them middle, beginnings and ends. It was amazing to watch, and basically, hear Stephen King tell us original stories that no one, before then had ever heard before.

Of course, on the phone, you could hear Robin typing madly, trying to keep up.

After he told the stories, Robin encapsulated them all and has done her best to break them down into issue-by-issue chunks. After she's done that, I took a pass at it and broke things down into page-by-page structure to give to Jae -- something written in the Marvel style. From there, Jae and Richard Isanove will be collaborating on it to produce the look that they're famous for when they get together. And of course Mr. King was involved each step of the way.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Fievel on Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:01 pm

dimnix wrote:A Dark Tower movie...

I dont get all the calls for an HBO miniseries. I mean really, thats all you want from the Dark Tower books? A miniseries? The franchise deserves better. It deserves alot of time and effort, and enough money to capture the epic scope.

That's exactly why HBO would be the perfect place for it. The perfect example of this would be Band Of Brothers. Sure, they could have made a 2-2.5 hour Band Of Brothers movie detailing Easy Company's tour of duty in Europe, but it wouldn't have had the impact that it did as a "miniseries" when they stretched it out over 10 hours.
I think the term miniseries is misleading. It makes people think of network television and their low-budget excuses for entertainment of the 80's and 90's (see any made-for-tv King movie). HBO would allow every detail to make it to the screen. We'd see Jake fumbling with his report in class, we'd see Rhea sticking her finger where it ought not be (ewwwwww!), we'd see Roland struggling to eat food in NYC, Roland destroying Sylvia's baby, The Dixie Pig, etc. etc.
Think of all the little details about the stories that you loved.... HBO would allow that to happen without compromise.
With a standard cinematic production, you'd end up missing out on so many details that brought meaning to the books. This has happened before with most of King's books (Dreamcatcher most recently).

The only problem in ANY Dark Tower production other than animation is getting Jake to not age too much over the course of the 7 books.

But at least we have the comics coming.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby dimnix on Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:58 am

But I'm not wanting just one Dark Tower movie, so the Band Of Brothers as a movie thing doesnt really work.

I can imagine 7 great Dark Tower movies.

And you know what? The books have alot of f@t. Great little details and subplots, and as books they work great, but if it were a long miniseries that was able to get in every detail... I think you'd sacrifice alot of pacing and turn it into this long, muddled mess.

7 movies means 7 structured stories. All a part of one bigger story, but each of the films has it's own beginning, middle and end. That way each chapter stands along instead of just being hour whatever in some long miniseries.

I do dig band of brothers. But I dunno, I'd just be really disappointed if The Dark Tower only managed to make it as a miniseries.

6 or 7 epic movies though, that'd be great.

And Jake's age is the major hurdle.
dimnix
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby tfactor on Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:36 am

This didn't start yet did it? I so want these books put onto film, god damn it! but I was interested to see what this Marvel series did for the books.

I'm not even opposed to a miniseries because I think they could accomplish a lot more by stretching this out over more than 6 parts. That being said the first book doesn't really deserve its own movie I don't think. It was to establish the character of Roland and that could easily be merged (at least to some degree) with Drawing of the three and since that would involve breaking off near the begining of book 2 a miniseries would probably be ideal. Though as said already this would have to be on HBO or Showtime or some other movie channel that doesn't have the language restrictions or requirement to remain at a PG rating.

HEY FUCKING HOLLYWOOD - just give the project to Guillermo Del Torro along with several million dollars and say go freaking nuts pal. Him or Christopher Nolan.
tfactor
KING SMARMY

Postby Fievel on Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:30 am

tfactor wrote:This didn't start yet did it? I so want these books put onto film, god damn it! but I was interested to see what this Marvel series did for the books.

Oh gads no, we're just speculating! :)
Although, I think I heard that Uwe Boll and Paul W.S. Anderson were looking into it. :oops: Sorry, it's not even April Fools Day. That wasn't even nice.
Here's some covers for the link lazy:

Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Fievel on Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:37 pm

I guess the sketchbook is now available. You can pre-order the first issue (and a signed/numbered edition signed by Jae Lee). Some sites have full subscriptions available as well.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Fievel on Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:01 am

According to a chat at Newsarama:

...Checking my notes, the first seven are the flashbacks from Wizard & Glass retold; the next five are Roland & Co.'s journey home from Hanbury; and the final twelve are his adventures between his return and the fall of Gilead (and the beginning of The Gunslinger).

THE FALL OF GILEAD!!!! HELL YEAH!!!! Although, whoever that guy is saying that... It's Hambry, not Hanbury. He got his info from Robin Furth - King's assistant and a co-author of the comics. His interview will be in the January issue of Marvel Spotlight.

Oh, have a Q&A with King while you're at it! There's a nice pic there.

Check out the cover for the second issue:
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Fievel on Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:02 am

Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Chairman Kaga on Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:07 am

Cool.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby dimnix on Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:25 am

Fievel wrote:Check out the cover for the second issue:

Sweet... though with the first 7 issues basically being Wizard And Glass... I wonder what the hell that's meant to be a picture of.

Is that the Crimson King? With the spider being some reference to Mordred?

Love it.
dimnix
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Vegeta on Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:14 am

I'll be honest... I've only read the first three "Dark Tower" books, but found them infinetly engaging... til I tried to read "The Wizard and Glass" (title?).
That book was very difficult and ruined the series for me, unfortunately...

However, I think a graphic novel version could be teh awesome... here's to me crossing fingers!
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby dimnix on Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:53 am

"Wizard And Glass" definetely slows the pace of the main Dark Tower quest with the whole gang, the main storyline...

but the flashback story that is told, of Roland and Susan and whatnot... I think it's some of the best, most engaging writing Stephen King has ever done.

I remember feeling disappointed at first, realising that the 4th book was almost entirely a flashback... but then I got to a point where I couldnt put it down.

The end wizard of oz stuff is a bit odd, though.
dimnix
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby doglips on Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:44 am

Well I've flicked through the sketchbook and Jae Lee's art is stunning. I have not read the books, so I'm not sure wether the characterisations are on the nose, but they look pretty sweet.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby unikrunk on Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:57 am

Yes, I may actually have to start my first pull list at the local shop. I am totally down with this.

The trailer on the site was pretty damned good, with the exception of the V.O. work. Bad 'cowboy' voice there guy.

if you have not read the books; SPOILAGE HO!!!

I wonder if this takes place, in a linear way, after the reboot at the end of the series, or if it informs the cyclical pilgrimage towards an end. It would be very cool if either element were used in the comics.
He can't' love you back...
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fievel on Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:37 am

unikrunk wrote:Yes, I may actually have to start my first pull list at the local shop. I am totally down with this.

The trailer on the site was pretty damned good, with the exception of the V.O. work. Bad 'cowboy' voice there guy.

if you have not read the books; SPOILAGE HO!!!
I wonder if this takes place, in a linear way, after the reboot at the end of the series, or if it informs the cyclical pilgrimage towards an end. It would be very cool if either element were used in the comics

Spoilers continued if you haven't read all of the books....

If it shows anything past the Fall Of Jericho Hill and Roland still has his horn, then you know it's set "after" the books and that he's finally getting through.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Fievel on Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:33 am

I have already pre-ordered issues 1&2 and for both issues I also ordered one of each that is signed by Jae Lee. There are also a couple of cover variants out there and those are expensive. This could get costly fast.

I remember when comics had one cover, and cost less than a dollar. :cry:
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby athenabodicea on Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:14 pm

Just one more month!!!

Whoo hoo!!

I was at my local comic store this weekend & the owner had a poster up on the wall.... I cant believe it is almost here.. It seems like so long ago that I first heard of this series...

I was just over at Marvel.com checkin out the Dark Tower page & everything looks/sounds amazing...

I seriously cannot wait for this....
ImageImageImage
athenabodicea
GEEK GODDESS

Postby Chairman Kaga on Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:26 pm

Amithraldur wrote:As for the movie/mini-series, I'm pretty sure King has stated that the rights will never be for sale. Dark Tower is his baby, and I very highly doubt that he will allow it to be decimated in film format.

This, while maybe true in King's mind now, I doubt is set in stone. I would have said the same thing 4 years ago about Frank Miller and Sin City.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:14 pm

Not sure if anyone saw this but it appears that Marvel and 150 participating Comic Shops are going to hold DARK TOWER MIDNIGHT OPENINGS

Basically, several comic stores are going to open at 12:01 Wednesday morning/Tuesday evening to sell the first issue of the Dark Tower comic.

You can find participating locations using the link. So my question is...will anybody be going to this?
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chairman Kaga on Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:57 am

None close enough for me to bother....I doubt it's going to sell out immediately.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby athenabodicea on Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:12 pm

None near me either.... (only 2 in my whole state)
But I dont think I would go at midnight for it anyway....

My comic book guy will hold it for me if they start selling out real quick... Cuz he's kewl like dat... :)
ImageImageImage
athenabodicea
GEEK GODDESS

Postby Chairman Kaga on Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:13 pm

I love the difference between here and the TB over this release.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby unikrunk on Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:32 am

First issue -

The art is great, but where is the new shit? This was a great intro to the series if you have not read the books, but having read them makes this a slightly disappointing read.

Here's hoping the remaining six issues show us something new.

The book earned its money with the The Sacred Geography of Mid-Earth - and the over all production is great; nice solidly constructed book.
He can't' love you back...
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Great Script, But What If on Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:09 am

I honestly can't get my head around how some of you think the guy who plays Sawyer is a good casting choice for Roland. How could you have read the series and actually pictured him as looking anything like Josh Holloway? Mind-boggling.
Great Script, But What If
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Chairman Kaga on Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:08 pm

It's probably the eyes.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fievel on Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:30 pm

unikrunk wrote:The art is great, but where is the new shit?

As far as I remember, the first 7-issue series is more or less a retelling of Wizard & Glass. The next 7-issue series details the trio's journey back to Gilead, and the final (?) series is the Fall of Gilead and the battle of Jericho Hill.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Next

Return to Comic Books