The Dark Tower

Graphic novels. Weekly rags. The @$$holes.

Postby Hollywood_Bob on Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:03 pm

I thought that the first issue was vastly entertaining. I haven't been to familiar with any of the Dark Tower books but this has definatly peeked my intrest in seeking out the books and seeing whats what.
"The only way to rid yourself of tempation...is to yeild to it." Oscar Wilde

Hollywood_Bob
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby Giant Fish on Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:55 pm

I always imagined Roland as looking like Scott Glenn or Lee Marvin; a bony, haggard, death on legs kind of character.
Giant Fish
GLIB

Postby Great Script, But What If on Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:38 pm

Giant Fish wrote:I always imagined Roland as looking like Scott Glenn or Lee Marvin; a bony, haggard, death on legs kind of character.

Exactly, the complete opposite of Sawyer.
Great Script, But What If
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby unikrunk on Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:30 am

Fievel wrote:
unikrunk wrote:The art is great, but where is the new shit?

As far as I remember, the first 7-issue series is more or less a retelling of Wizard & Glass. The next 7-issue series details the trio's journey back to Gilead, and the final (?) series is the Fall of Gilead and the battle of Jericho Hill.

Gah! I want some newness!

:wink:
He can't' love you back...
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tfactor on Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:36 am

FYI to all, I called my local comic store guy yesterday and was told that the Dark Tower issue #1 was sold out by the end of business on Wednesday of last week (yes, the same day it was released). He said if you seriously want to keep up on these (collect all) you're going to need to be at the store before 1pm on Wednesday.

I just thought you should all know. Tomorrow when you're driving around in a panic because you waited until the last minute to get flowers and everyone is sold out - remember to stop and get issue #2

that is all
tfactor
KING SMARMY

Postby tfactor on Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:59 pm

ok for real this time, #2 came out on Wednesday - unlike my above post this one is not a mistake :? :)

Anyway comic book guy said he's got plenty in stock, no worries of running out like last time. Sorry for the false alarm.
tfactor
KING SMARMY

Postby Fievel on Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:04 pm

People still reading this?
How do you like it?

I'm such a Dark Tower freak that they could put out a comic of Roland taking a dump and I'd pay too much for it and call it genius.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Leckomaniac on Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:15 pm

Fievel wrote:People still reading this?
How do you like it?

I'm such a Dark Tower freak that they could put out a comic of Roland taking a dump and I'd pay too much for it and call it genius.

I actually hear that happens in issue 5.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chairman Kaga on Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:10 pm

I forgot to pick up issue 2.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby RezE11even on Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:47 am

Great stuff so far.. can't wait for the ambush at the thinney.
RezE11even
GLIB

Postby Fievel on Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:02 am

Artwork from the new series!!!!!

This is going to have all NEW stories.
CAN.... NOT.... WAIT!!!!
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Fievel on Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:58 pm

Brief article with listing of initial variants.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Chairman Kaga on Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:48 pm

Spoilers

I wonder if they will cover how Roland and Cuthbert had to kill Alain....or was it Roland and Alain killing Cuthbert?
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fievel on Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:42 pm

Wasn't one of them killed accidentally and the other fell at Jericho Hill?

They're going to eventually cover Jericho Hill, so that part's going to be two clicks past "awesome".
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Chairman Kaga on Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:57 am

Fievel wrote:Wasn't one of them killed accidentally and the other fell at Jericho Hill?

Roland thinks about it in a quick sentence in the Drawing of Three while thinking about if Eddie and he would at some point have to kill Detta Walker if they can't get her under control. I don't remember anything later about it being an accident or not though.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fievel on Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:01 am

Chairman Kaga wrote:
Fievel wrote:Wasn't one of them killed accidentally and the other fell at Jericho Hill?

Roland thinks about it in a quick sentence in the Drawing of Three while thinking about if Eddie and he would at some point have to kill Detta Walker if they can't get her under control. I don't remember anything later about it being an accident or not though.

I have absolutely no recollection of that then.... I think everything I was thinking about happened at Jericho (possibly Jamie DeCurry's death?).
Another reason to re-read the series.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Fievel on Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:19 pm

Review of the 1st issue of the next series The Long Road Home.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Chairman Kaga on Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:31 pm

Fievel wrote:
Chairman Kaga wrote:

I have absolutely no recollection of that then.... I think everything I was thinking about happened at Jericho (possibly Jamie DeCurry's death?).
Another reason to re-read the series.

I just got up to this in Wolves of the Calla. Apparently it was Alain returning the night before the Battle of Jericho Hill and Roland and Cuthbert "accidentally" shot him in the dark. Roland remembers this while thinking of Jericho Hill and The Eld's horn he didn't bother to pick up. He also remembers that they were betrayed by someone while he dreams of himself back in the battle (I'm not sure if this means Cuthbert or Alain or someone else entirely)
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby unikrunk on Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:33 pm

Yeah, I dug the hell out of it; from the comic tracker thread

uni-tard wrote:
Dark Tower: The Long Road Home
I have been waiting for this bitch for a long time, and it was worth every tortured second of the wait. Picks up right where we left our boys, and then goes into fucking awesomeville riding a black, blood frothed stallion.

Thanks for slamming my dick in the car door, dudes. This is the shit. Howzabout we don't wait another year before you put another of these series out, eh? Sound good?

So, yeah. A hell of a lot more could be said, particularly about the appendices, and the growing richness of Gilead gone and the days Roland's world 'moved-on'.

But I am high and lazy, so those words will have to suffice.
He can't' love you back...
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fievel on Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:49 pm

A couple of really cool moments in the new one.
What the hell happened to Sheemie!?!?!?

This is the type of book that can't be judged from issue to issue, but rather the series as a whole. But having said that, they're off to a fine start!!
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Re: Dark Tower series for Marvel

Postby Raziel on Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:46 pm

Yeah, nice dramatic note to finish on the current run!
Raziel
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Raziel on Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:53 pm

*megabump*

Missed the last issue, now I'll have to go hunting for it. Actually, a guy working in Forbidden Planet told me that Jai Lee had been really ill for a while, and that #4 had been delayed.
Raziel
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Fievel on Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:08 pm

DARK TOWER: THE FALL OF GILEAD #1

A horrified Steven Deschain learns that the deadly seeing sphere called Maerlyn’s Grapefruit has been stolen from his chambers! Far worse, when he enters his wife’s rooms to arrest her for the theft, his son Roland is standing over her body with a gun in his hand. The youngest gunslinger has perhaps committed the most hideous crime of all!
Continuing the epic saga based on the best-selling Dark Tower novels by the master Stephen King. It’s the first chapter in the most incredible storyline yet.
Cardstock Cover/Parental Advisory…$3.99
©2009 Stephen King. All rights reserved.

This..... should be awesome.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Re: The Dark Tower

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:22 pm

I like the comics too.

(mostly i'm just bumping this so the top 3 threads would all have the same title)

EDIT: I'm going to change all topic titles to "The Dark Tower"
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:29 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:I like the comics too.

(mostly i'm just bumping this so the top 3 threads would all have the same title)

WHAT!?!?!?
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Fievel on Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:32 pm

I'm a bit behind with The Fall of Gilead, but I'm loving the comic series. I find that there is very little that I don't like about it.
One big thing that I don't like is Cort's niece. I have a feeling that they're going to build her up to be a bad-ass just to kill her off before the series ends with Jericho Hill.

Jericho Hill is going to be like Revenge of the Sith.....just about everyone dies.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:33 pm

Fievel wrote:I'm a bit behind with The Fall of Gilead, but I'm loving the comic series. I find that there is very little that I don't like about it.
One big thing that I don't like is Cort's niece. I have a feeling that they're going to build her up to be a bad-ass just to kill her off before the series ends with Jericho Hill.

Jericho Hill is going to be like Revenge of the Sith.....just about everyone dies.

I haven't started The Fall of Gilead yet, but I'm really looking forward to reading it. It's the one story I've wanted to know more about since starting book 1 way back when...
Lord Voldemoo

Postby Fievel on Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:34 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:

WHAT!?!?!?

Kirks - there is currently a Marvel Comics series that fills the gaps between the events of Wizard & Glass and will ultimately end at Jericho Hill.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:36 pm

Fievel wrote:
Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:

WHAT!?!?!?

Kirks - there is currently a Marvel Comics series that fills the gaps between the events of Wizard & Glass and will ultimately end at Jericho Hill.

heheh, the part you missed is that I started a Coaxial thread, a Music thread and an Animation thread all titled "The Dark Tower" and I think I threw Kirks for a loop...

check your custom rank, Kirks.
Lord Voldemoo

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:39 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:
Fievel wrote:
Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:

WHAT!?!?!?

heheh, the part you missed is that I started a Coaxial thread, a Music thread and an Animation thread all titled "The Dark Tower" and I think I threw Kirks for a loop...

check your custom rank, Kirks.

WHAT'S GOING ON!?!?!?!?!?
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Fievel on Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:01 pm

The Zone, like Ka, is like a wheel.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby BuckyO'harre on Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:59 pm

Fievel wrote:I'm a bit behind with The Fall of Gilead, but I'm loving the comic series.

They have audio comics again?!

I thought they died out in the 70's...

:wink:
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fievel on Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:19 pm

Ha! I actually READ comic books........... because they have pictures & stuff. :D
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Ribbons on Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:24 am

I bought a TPB of the first (?) arc the other day. Pretty sure it was only seven issues, which would be the Wizard & Glass thing you guys were talking about earlier (it ended with Susan's death).

Anyway I liked it, it had a lot of character, but I kept feeling like all this stuff was going over my head. For example, I thought it was set in some ancient-ish fantasy world, albeit with guns, and then all of a sudden they're talking about oil tankers and Citgo. WTF? It piqued my curiosity enough to pick up the other two arcs, but I have a feeling it's more interesting to people who are already familiar with the Dark Tower. Still, the art by Jae Lee and Richard Isanove was gorgeous, and there were a couple pages at the end with pencils by Lee and Isanove's coloring process that prove just what tremendous talents the two of them are.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Fievel on Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:44 am

Interesting to get the perspective of someone who hasn't read the books!
The land where this takes place is best described as just being somewhere else.... some"when" else.

Lee and Isanove do make a great team. Unfortunately Lee was absent on the most recent chapter (Fall of Gillead) as he was devoting all his time to the final chapter.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:30 pm

There's an interesting and odd mix of 'time' in each particular world that is in The Dark Tower 'universe'. A bit like dogs and cats living together. Mass hysteria!

From what I can tell thus far on the 6th book, it gets even freakier, which may be a bit of an understatement.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Dark Tower

Postby inanegeek on Tue May 25, 2010 4:18 pm

I remember going on holiday a couple of years back and my brother lent me a copy of the first book in Stephen Kings Dark Tower saga.

Now that holiday i also read Neil Gaimans American Gods which just blew me away so I kind of forgot the Dark Tower and didn’t continue to read any of the other books.

Marvel Comics has been publishing Mini-Series since February 2007 based on flashbacks that the main Character Roland Deschain has in the novels. And so far I have collected each one. Having just re-read the latest series the battle for Jericho Hill I thought I would bring you all up to speed and recommend this as a comic for non comic book fans.

The setting is a world that incorporates a cross between Fantasy and Westerns. In the books a Gunslinger called Roland is on a quest to find the Dark Tower. I’ve not read a lot of Stephen King but my brother tells me that along his journey Roland meets and interacts with various people from other Stephen Kings books. So far there have been seven books.

The comics are set as prequels to the Novels and explain why Roland became....Roland.

So far there have been 5 minis and a one shot. The first series was the 7 issue Gunslinger Born. I remember buying the first issue on the basis alone it was written by Peter David who is one of my favourite writers and illustrated beautifully by Jae Lee.

The art in these books is absolutely breathtaking. Each comic at the end has some more details revealed in standard prose about the Word of the Dark Tower and usually you get some of Jae Lees pencil work. These are worth the cover price alone to look at.

There are some great characters in the books too. Roland the Gunslinger is probably the worst. Always serious and boring its the characters around him that bring the entertainment. The Bad guys the Good Man Farson and Maerlyn the wizard are just pure evil, men who want to see the world burn just because they can.

It’s such a delight to read and full of twists and surprises it is difficult to tell you anything without spoiling it.

I seriously recommend jumping on board with these comics as soon as possible and buying the trades. They are rich and multi layered and will appeal to Stephen King fans, comic fans who like a little less Superhero and fans of the game Fallout (you’ll see what I mean if you read them).
inanegeek
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Re: Dark Tower

Postby Fievel on Tue May 25, 2010 10:04 pm

Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Previous

Return to Comic Books