"Turd Blossom"

Graphic novels. Weekly rags. The @$$holes.

Favorite Comic Strip

Poll ended at Wed Aug 03, 2005 2:26 pm

Bloom County
25%
The Boondocks
No votes
Calvin and Hobbes
17%
Dilbert
No votes
Doonesbury
17%
The Far Side
42%
Garfield
No votes
Non Sequitur
No votes
Other
No votes

Total votes : 12

"Turd Blossom"

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:26 pm

Ah, the funnies. Comic strips. A veritable institution in newspapers, a guilty pleasure, or something you look over when you can't solve the godd@#$m crossword puzzles. This topic was inspired by...

http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1000992006

...and my daily comic strip site running "Classic Bloom County", for my money the funniest, craziest, most heartfelt comic of all time.

These are obviously more "modern" comic strips. Anyone who grew up with Dick Tracy, Peanuts, Lil Abner can of course just vote other. And obviously I've left some out that you may love.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:55 am

I have to go for "Doonesbury." It was the first and should have been the only strip to win the Pulitzer. "Bloom County" was funny and warm and occasionally politically stinging, but it couldn't hold a candle to the satire of "Doonesbury."

Of course, if you're not looking for the political satire, it's an entirely different story. YMMV.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby thomasgaffney on Fri Jul 29, 2005 11:00 am

Dude, The Far Side totally rocks. The one where the three poodles are sitting around the living room, talking about their old lady owner who is in the kitchen. And the one poodle says, "Well, yes there is a downside, Fluffy... When we kill her, the pampering will end."
find me: twitter and goodreads
find my book: amazon
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby Nordling on Fri Jul 29, 2005 11:13 am

Calvin and Hobbes. There are no others. And if your car has a counterfeit Calvin pissing on a logo, find a wall, and run into it until I say stop, which I won't.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby DennisMM on Fri Jul 29, 2005 11:19 am

My favorite "Far Side" is the one with the duck and the scientist on the tiny desert island. "But this time, the advantage is mine!"
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM

Postby TonyWilson on Fri Jul 29, 2005 11:22 am

Damn it Dennis, I love it too. And I love that particular cartoon.
Have you seen the one where with the baby in a bottle?
It's sick.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby thomasgaffney on Fri Jul 29, 2005 11:22 am

Good one, DennisMM. I also like the one where it's close up of two guys faces and it says something to the effect of "At the worst possible time, Fred and Joe ruin the funniest cartoon of all time"
find me: twitter and goodreads
find my book: amazon
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby DennisMM on Fri Jul 29, 2005 11:23 am

Nordling wrote:And if your car has a counterfeit Calvin pissing on a logo, find a wall, and run into it until I say stop, which I won't.

I keep forgetting to make up a bunch of labels for the bootleg Calvin praying stickers. They would say something like,

"I am certain you, a good Christian, would not condone theft. This Calvin sticker is an illegal item, not approved by the copyright holders. I have pasted a difficult-to-remove adhesive label over the sticker, so that the sight of it will no longer offend God."

Am I just being mean? Does it matter?
DennisMM

Postby DennisMM on Fri Jul 29, 2005 11:24 am

TonyWilson wrote:Damn it Dennis, I love it too. And I love that particular cartoon.
Have you seen the one where with the baby in a bottle?
It's sick.

And he threw in the stand for free!
DennisMM

Postby DennisMM on Fri Jul 29, 2005 11:26 am

thomasgaffney wrote:Good one, DennisMM. I also like the one where it's close up of two guys faces and it says something to the effect of "At the worst possible time, Fred and Joe ruin the funniest cartoon of all time"

I don't remember that one, dammit. I do have a solid Christmas wish on "The Complete Far Side," so I'll see it in time.

Another great one -- a truly lame cartoon, badly drawn, poor joke. Underneath, Artist: Gary Larson. Title: It was late and I was tired.

Now I must go look for missing books. Back before too terribly long.
DennisMM

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Fri Jul 29, 2005 11:26 am

DennisMM wrote:"I am certain you, a good Christian, would not condone theft. This Calvin sticker is an illegal item, not approved by the copyright holders. I have pasted a difficult-to-remove adhesive label over the sticker, so that the sight of it will no longer offend God."

GENIUS!!!!
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby burlivesleftnut on Fri Jul 29, 2005 11:42 am

My favorite Farside is the one where the dog mowed the lawn really eratically, and his owner is pointing at him telling him he did a bad job. But I love all the dog ones. Larson knows dogs.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Fri Jul 29, 2005 11:49 am

"First your pants...then your shoes!"
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Fri Jul 29, 2005 12:21 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:My favorite Farside is the one where the dog mowed the lawn really eratically, and his owner is pointing at him telling him he did a bad job. But I love all the dog ones. Larson knows dogs.

What you say to your dog v. what your dog hears. Brilliant.
DennisMM

Postby Guest on Fri Jul 29, 2005 12:25 pm

DennisMM wrote:
burlivesleftnut wrote:But I love all the dog ones. Larson knows dogs.

What you say to your dog v. what your dog hears. Brilliant.

I would a say, Larson knows a the dog OWNERS even a better than a he knows a the dogs, eh?

Postby Nordling on Fri Jul 29, 2005 12:25 pm

Great FAR SIDES:

The Dog Translator: Turns out all dogs say is "Hey! Hey! Hey!"

Moses eating breakfast cereal.

The farm animals all collected at the phone booth, crankcalling Farmer Bob: "Hey, Farmer Bob! Barn door's open."

The cows all standing upright and talking, until one yells, "Car!" and then they go on all fours until the car passes.

The cow (Far Side + cows = great) that cheerfully proclaims, "Whaddaya know. We taste like chicken."
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Fri Jul 29, 2005 12:26 pm

Hey, that a was me uppa there... forgot a to log in, eh?

As a iffa you didn't a know....
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby DennisMM on Fri Jul 29, 2005 12:32 pm

Three fish -- two in a bowl, one in a diving-type helmet, walking on the piano: "That fool! He's on the keyboard."

Bunch of scientists: Just then, Professor xxx's cerebral cortex blew. Head deflating like a balloon.

"Hey, buddy! Wanna buy a hooved mammal?"

Elephant lurking under the stairs, to a guy picking up his mail: You shouldn't start something you can't finish.

The farmer catching the animals with a diagram of his body sliced up like cuts of meat.

Cops gathered around a giant handkerchief, wondering who the monster might be. Giant "KK" emobroidered on hankie.
DennisMM

Postby DennisMM on Fri Jul 29, 2005 12:33 pm

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:Hey, that a was me uppa there... forgot a to log in, eh?

As a iffa you didn't a know....

I didn't know you could post without logging in. It never let me do so. Hmmm.
DennisMM

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:08 pm

Cops gathered around a giant handkerchief, wondering who the monster might be. Giant "KK" emobroidered on hankie.

Oh man, I posted this on Wed., thought it would make for some good conversation and then...nobody gave it any love. Then Dennis, Dino et. al. start up this loveyly trip down "Far Side" memory lane. I can still visualize each one of the panels mentioned. That quote up top was also the basis of a joke in Simpsons Halloween Special IV, the third segment with Burns as a vampire.

Kent Brockman: "Another local peasant has been found dead, drained of his blood with two teeth marks on his throat. This black cape was found on the scene (monitor shows cape with "Dracula" written on it)...Police are baffled."
cut to Wiggum
Wiggum "We think we're dealing with a supernatural being most likely a mummy. As a precaution I've ordered the Egyptian wing of the Springfield Museum destroyed."

Great homage to the Larson. And if you have the Simpson DVD's, how funny is Conan on the commentaries? People who work on the show say he was the funniest mofo in the room, if not the world.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:40 pm

My favorite current comic strip is probably "Foxtrot." I save that one for last! And then I do the connect-the-dots.

[wishes he were kidding...]
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Fievel on Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:41 pm

Thanks to the honorable Ribbons and righteous brother Brocktune, I have been shown the light to this ancient, yet valuable thread (the topic title does no justice for the content). So let's clear the dust off and get on with it!!!!
-------------------------------------------------- -----
Repost from my douche-induced thread. (Indouched?)
-------------------------------------------------- -
After the Funky Winkerbean thread, I started to think about what makes me actually open up the funny pages with a grain of anticipation. Here's my list with comments.

Get Fuzzy - It's what Garfield wishes it could have been. A slacker, a dopey dog, and an asshole cat. I laugh outloud almost every Sunday. I hate cats with a passion, and this cat makes me love to hate him and his kind.

Mutts - The Peanuts of today in my opinion. A very "nice" cartoon that still cracks me up.

Opus - After the embarassment that was Outland, Berke Breathed returns to form. Steve Dallas' hairline is receding and now has a son. Bill the Cat makes an appearance usually once a month (Sunday only strip). But the political/current even humor is right there. I'd love to see some of the Bloom County kids show up all grown up. Perhaps even a Christmas strip with the Ghost Of Cutter John.

Boondocks - Aaron McGruder is retiring the strip, and that's a damn shame. I hope the television show comes back with a 1-2 punch to make me forget my sorrow regarding the strip's demise.

One Big Happy - Doesn't kill me like it did, say 6-7 years ago, but it still makes me laugh.

Frazz - I work with school kids (percussion instructor), and a lot of the conversations Frazz has with the kids hit home with me. A good, smart strip.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby The Vicar on Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:43 pm

Loved The Far Side,
but Calvin & Hobbes is my strip.

I've got about all of the collected C & H books.
I wish there were some legit C & H merchandise on the market.

I had to go to Calvin College in Grand Rapids, get one of their sweat shirts & insert the Hobbes part.

Pain in the ass, and I'm barred from the city of Grand Rapids now. Sod them. It was worth it....
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby The Vicar on Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:47 pm

"Frazz - I work with school kids (percussion instructor), and a lot of the conversations Frazz has with the kids hit home with me. A good, smart strip."

That strip is done by the husband of a lady I work with.
My complaint is that he sure seems to be stealing from Calvin & Hobbes - the main character in Frazz is a dead ringer for Calvin. All the characters look like they were drawn by Watterson....check it out -

Wait a minute ( shit )
The Vicar

Postby buster00 on Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:43 pm

"Zippy the Pinhead" is the best comic strip in the world.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby unikrunk on Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:36 pm

The Far Side 'School For the Gifted', with the kid pushing on the clearly marked 'pull' door. Still cracks me up.
He can't' love you back...
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby unikrunk on Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:40 pm

At first I thought this was the Karl Rove thread, so I stayed away...
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Vicar on Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:41 pm

buster00 wrote:"Zippy the Pinhead" is the best comic strip in the world.

Props for Zippy!!!!!

Good on ya, matey!
The Vicar

Postby unikrunk on Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:44 pm

Big Baby was another classic...used to run in Art Spiegelman's RAW in the early 80's.
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby minstrel on Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:57 pm

Calvin and Hobbes
Bloom County
Far Side

... and I have a soft spot for Dilbert. Hits close to home.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:20 am

Big Nate
Fox Trot
Calvin & Hobbes
Far Side
PvP

One of my favorite Far Sides was "Cow Tools," my favorite C&H story has to Calvin's report on bats. Say it with me, "Bats aren't bugs!"
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fievel on Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:48 am

One of my all-time favorite Far Side's:

The real reason dinosaurs became extinct
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Return to Comic Books