I love this artist!

Graphic novels. Weekly rags. The @$$holes.

Postby The Vicar on Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:03 pm

DennisMM wrote:
The Vicar wrote:What, no Neal Adams love?

Neal Adams invented modern comics storytelling. He is a god among men, even if he spent 20 years forcing other artists to draw just the way he did.

Enough love for ya?

It'll do. :wink:
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby The Vicar on Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:04 pm

Ju? wrote:By the way, before anybody gets all worked up; I'm joking, Neal Adams is a treasure to comicdom. He was part of the advancement of realism in comic book art, and I commend him for that. John Byrne is not really on his level. I just wanted to say that to get shit riled up, but I couldn't hold in the truth much longer.

Memo to self - call off the DZAS on Ju's ass.......

:wink:
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby Ju? on Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:13 pm

Who is that?
Ju?
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:54 pm

Ju? wrote:Who is that?

The DZAS stands for Deadly Zonette Assassination Squad. They are a group of extremely well trained femme fetales who will kill anyone if the price is right.

Check out there very own thread right here
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:57 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:

The DZAS stands for Deadly Zonette Assassination Squad. They are a group of extremely well trained femme fetales who will kill anyone if the price is right.

I can vouch for their precision, poise and professionalism.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Ju? on Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:03 pm

My penis will stop them right in their tracks.
Ju?
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:07 pm

Ju? wrote:My penis will stop them right in their tracks.

That is exactly what Teh Balm thought...and we haven't seen him in months.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby papalazeru on Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:27 pm

yeah....Balm is finding it difficult to find the the specific cream for the 'unspecified' infection he caught...

so if anyone knows an ancient tibetan remedy for purple boils on the head and a strange rainbow like discharge...let Balm know.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby DennisMM on Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:36 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:

I inserted the bold, Leck. Please look at my sig below. :wink:
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:47 pm

DennisMM wrote:
Leckomaniac wrote:

I inserted the bold, Leck. Please look at my sig below. :wink:

:oops: I had to go to my profile...allow signatures...come back to this thread...just so I could have my grammatical error corrected.

*hangs head in shame...grasps his sword...leans slightly fowards...and...SEPPUKU*
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:54 pm

:oops:

My crusade of the month. I'm sorry.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM

Postby Ju? on Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:02 pm

Back on subject, here are my honorable mentions for greatest artists of all time:

*Sam Kieth
*Bill Sienkiewicz
*Walt Simonson
*Erik Larsen
*Todd McFarlane
*Frank Miller
*Mark Silvestri
Ju?
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby DennisMM on Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:11 pm

A world where Joe Mad and Jim Lee are better artists than Bill Sienkiewicz (a great dancer, BTW) and Sam Kieth. We must be in .... The Phantom Zone! No, Bizarro World, that's it. IMO, of course.
DennisMM

Postby Ju? on Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:23 pm

Sorry. It's just a personal preferrence. As you see, he is one of my top 10 however. His run on New Mutants is one of my favorite of any artists run on any comic.
Ju?
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby DennisMM on Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:04 pm

I was being silly, of course. Also, IMO. I personally consider Bill S. to be the most accomplished artist with technique -- he handles multiple media in a way no one but Dave McKean has even tried. I only wish he worked more.

End of threadjack.
DennisMM

Postby Ju? on Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:40 pm

Bill S. can do it all.

By the way, I think Alex Ross is the most overrated artist in history. He can't do action.
Ju?
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby DennisMM on Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:29 pm

I'd say he's far from the most overrated. That would have to be some of the Image losers like Liefeld, who were praised as the new heroes of comics 15 years ago. Ross is stiff, mostly because he works from photos of friends who model for him. That does make portraying the superhero action more difficult. He's wonderful at emotional moments and "still" images, if that makes sense. The same can be said for my beloved John Cassaday (and was above, by burlivesleftnut), but I'll take some stiffness over more kinetic artists whose storytelling and handling of the human face and form is weaker.
DennisMM

Postby Ju? on Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:18 pm

OMG. You have a point. When I was younger I was one of them, but now that I'm older, I don't understand what the craze was about Liefeld. Let's make a list of his flaws, me and you. You can continue after me:

*What is up with the Dumbledore crotchlines?
*What is up with the lines on the foreheads?
*Why do the women all look like they have fake breasts?
*Why can't Liefeld draw feet?
*Why do the original Younglblood look like the first incarbation of X-Force?
*What is up with guys hair sticking up?
*What is up with guys lips?
*Why do his characters have to have their chest sticking out, male or female?

Go ahead, the floor's all yours.
Ju?
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby DennisMM on Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:35 pm

-Why do Fighting American and his female robotic sidekick look like Captain America and Bucky? (Because he recycled them from his aborted/canceled CA issues.)

-Why did Liefeld actually stop drawing hands and feet on some figures while doing New Mutants and X-Force? (This news from Louise Simonson.)

-Why did Liefeld's art look so different on Hawk and Dove from everything else he ever drew? (Answer: Karl Kesel inks instead of Liefeld inks.)

-Why did any of this stuff make Levis think Liefeld would be a good figure for a commercial?
Last edited by DennisMM on Sat Sep 16, 2006 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DennisMM

Postby Ju? on Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:47 pm

Yeah. I have 1 issue of Hawk & Dove, and Kesel's inks do make a difference. Also, those Levi's ads didn't last long, so that should tell you something. But, then again, why not Lee, McFarlane, Kieth, Breyfogle, or any of the other artists that were hot at the time?

Back to the inks, the greatest inker of all time, Terry Austin, who inked for just about everybody in the Marvel camp, it's funny how he brought the best out of other people's art. For example, Rick Leonardi's art is shit without Terry Austin. Their work on Cloak & Dagger was beautiful.
Ju?
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Jim Steranko

Postby TheButcher on Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:36 am

From Comic Book Resources:
Big Apple Comic-Con: Jim Steranko Q&A
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: I love this artist!

Postby MadCapsule on Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:25 am

I know this thread's pretty much dead, but I figured I'd throw in some of my favorites as well. Please keep in mind that I don't reads comics with any kind of frequency anymore.

Jeff Darrow: Good lord, this man's attention to tiny little details simply boggles the mind. He can illustrate destruction like no one else I can think of. Check out his work with Frank Miller in Hard Boiled if you don't believe me.

Mark Texeira: One of my favorites from my pre-teen years. Very stylized, perhaps too stylized for some. I loved his heavy use of blacks. I always found his women to be beautiful and they always had Farrah Fawcett hair. His rendition of Ghost Rider from the 90's remains my favorite. I was also a huge fan of his work on The Punisher. I never felt like he stayed around on a title long enough, though; it seemed like he would always move on to something else after 5 or 6 issues.

Bill Seinkeiwicz: Already been mentioned multiple times. I didn't care for him as a youngin', but I really grew to appreciate his incredibly unique style as I grew older. I had a huge geekgasm when I bought season 1 of the Venture Bros. and his work lovingly splashed all over the inside of the packaging.

John Romita Jr: Where do I even begin? He must have worked on all my favorite Marvel titles from my teen years at some point or another. I simply loved his blockier style of drawing characters. Several years ago he drew what, in my opinion, is the best (and angriest) looking Hulk ever: bald Hulk. Banner had shaved his head in an effort to help conceal his identity and the resulting bald Hulk looked ten times more menacing than any other version of the Hulk in my eyes. A quick glance over a Comic Art Community would indicate that his work is getting even better. He seems to have simplified his lines and dialed back the feathering/stippling (I'm not sure what the correct term is here) a bit. This is simply stunning. It warms my heart to know that he is still working regularly.

Jim Lee: Also already mentioned. Easily the most talented artist of the original Image guys. His work on Batman: Hush was breath-taking. He is another one that seems to be continually improving his work.

Chris Bachalo: Another one that might be a bit too stylized for some people's taste, but I always enjoyed his slightly cartoonish style. Thee always seems to be a sense of fun in his art, which I rather enjoy. I think I first discovered his work in Marvel's Ghost Ride 2099 title. Wow! Who remembers the 2099 titles!?

Frank Miller w/Klaus Janson on inks: They both compliment each others' work so well. I never realized just how much Janson's inks cleaned up Miller's pencils until The Dark Knight Strikes Again was released. Miller's style of penciling worked in Sin City because it fit the gritty, dirty feel of it. But when you add color to Miller's pencils (aside from just red or yellow) without Klaus there to reign it all in a bit, it just doesn't work for me. Speaking of...

Klaus Janson: It took me a very long time to appreciate him as a penciller, but I have always respected him as an inker. He is immensely talented and I can think of no one else in the comics industry that can pull off doing pencils and inks as well as Janson can. I hear he's like the Wolf character from Pulp Fiction and can be called in at the last minute to clean up someone else's mess.
MadCapsule
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby TheButcher on Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:01 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:40 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:24 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:03 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:36 am

Daytripper–How much is too much?
How much is too much? That’s my constant question while telling a story. There’s a delicate balance between words and pictures in a comic book story, and it’s easy to get carried away in one direction or the other and flood the reader with too much.

That’s why I like doing sketches. They help me understand how this world I’m portraying will work visually. I’m studying the characters to understand - maybe determine - how they look, move, behave and act. I go and research places and try to translate somewhere I’ve been, or a picture I’ve seen, into a drawing, figuring out how many details to include and what to leave out.

I did a lot of sketches for DAYTRIPPER. They helped me bring our story to life.

Fábio Moon
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:09 am

Sequence: Frank Quitely's "Blackheart"
ROBOT 6's newest contributor Matt Seneca casts an analytical eye over a three-panel sequence by acclaimed artist Frank Quitely in his story from 1995's "Dark Horse Presents" #92.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:37 am

Critical acclaim for XOMBI, plus some brand new Frazer Irving art
The first issue of John Rozum and Frazer Irving’s XOMBI arrived to a lot of great reviews from the comics press. What did the critics have to say about XOMBI #1?

Here’s a sampling…

“I haven’t read a book this intriguingly and engagingly weird since I first dropped into Grant Morrison’s THE INVISIBLES.”
-Ain’t It Cool News

“We’re getting into Grant Morrison-esque avant-garde weirdness here, and somehow, the nanite-injected, super-powered, and immortal David Kim is the calm epicenter at the eye of this weirdness, and the reader’s doorway into the world. I love it.”
-Newsarama

“The team-up of John Rozum and Frazer Irving, for this book, makes it a must read. It’s a refreshing break from all the super-hero books swarming the shelves, and it will captivate you from the get-go.”
-Comic Vine

“The story that Rozum has begun to craft is intriguing, and should engage readers old and new alike … Everything has a sense of the surreal, and Irving’s knack for creating disturbing facial imagery is put to great use.”
-IGN

“Irving can draw the dark and gloomy, but more importantly the crazy and fantastic. So when a Rustling Husk shows up out of nowhere, it’s creepy and surprising, and his depiction of Mr. Hyde is gruesome. But at the same time, Irving’s people are rooted firmly in reality, looking remarkably life-like. I think that’s a perfect touch for “Xombi,” since it makes the nastiness rising up around them feel that much more dangerous.”
-Comic Book Resources

“Xombi is away to the races with a first issue that’s gorgeous, gripping and something different to everything else in my weekly stack.”
-iFanboy

“Rozum does a great job at reintroducing the character to both new and old audiences, and Irving’s artwork is amazing … a great starting point.”
-Platform Nation

“I’m going to recommend picking up Xombi #1. The groundwork is firmly in place for an adventure and some solid storytelling. I believe wrier John Rozum and artist Frazer Irving will take us readers on a great ride.”
-ScienceFiction.com

“We could have a real winner on our hands.”
-Comics Bulletin

It’s not too late to jump on board – XOMBI #2 hits stands later this month.

We have an extra treat for Frazer Irving fans here: his variant cover to BATMAN INC. #6, on sale in May!
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue May 03, 2011 3:04 am

From Newsarama:
Marvel First Look - THE MARVEL ART OF MIKE DEODATO HC
Press Release

Marvel is pleased to present your first look at The Art Of Mike Deodato HC, a stunning chronicle of the Marvel Architect’s life and work for the House of Ideas! Since breaking into the industry in the early 1990s, Mike Deodato has established himself as one of comics’ most celebrated superstar artists. Now, in one oversized tome, follow Deodato’s artistic evolution from his iconic early work on Avengers and Thor through his now legendary successes on Amazing Spider-Man, Incredible Hulk, Thunderbolts, Dark Avengers, and much, much more.

"Since I was a kid, I'd loved art books collecting my favorite artists. More recently, I've been thrilled to see works of comic book artists taken more seriously,” said Deodato. “To be featured among talents such as Joe Quesada and Marko Djurdjevic in a book like this makes me awfully happy. My dad, who bought me all my early Frazetta hardcovers, was beaming with pride when I told him Marvel was doing one about me. I feel honored."

Also catch rare insights in the creative process from many of Deodato’s collaborators, including writers Mike Benson, Charlie Huston and Marvel Editor In Chief Axel Alonso! From Thor’s clash with the World Engine to the fall of Norman Osborn, relive the greatest artistic triumphs of this superstar artist, only in The Art Of Mike Deodato HC!

THE MARVEL ART OF MIKE DEODATO HC (FEB110649)
Written by JOHN RHETT THOMAS
Pencils & Cover by MIKE DEODATO
On-Sale 7/6/11
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:50 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: I love this artist: Fábio Moon

Postby TheButcher on Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:11 pm

Fábio Moon inking the CASANOVA GULA trade cover:
Last edited by TheButcher on Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: I love this artist: Gabriel Bá

Postby TheButcher on Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:13 pm

Umbrella Academy Dallas Trailer HQ
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: I love this artist: Frank Quietly

Postby TheButcher on Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:17 pm

DC Vertigo: WE3 pt. 2 - Ya Shola S Uma
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:30 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:59 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:44 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:00 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: I love this artist! MOEBIUS

Postby TheButcher on Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:54 am

Fro io9:
WE STILL MISS MOEBIUS | Just one of the absolutely stunning images by the late, lamented Jean Henri Gaston Giraud, aka Moebius, gathered over at Concept Ships. Moebius died on March 10, but his loss is still keenly felt.

From Concept Ships:
Selected works by Moebius
It is super hard for me to believe that Mobeius is gone. Jean Henri Gaston Giraud passed away at the age of 73 on March 10, 2012. I remember reading The Incal graphic novels by EPIC and thinking that he had some of the best compositional flow of any artist that I've ever read. I also remember that a lot of his technical stuff was so amazingly simple and complex at the same time. Just searching for his art on the web made me realize what an incredible amount of work he has produced in his lifetime. I know there was a time when Katsuhiro Otomo and him were discussing making an animated version of The Airtight Garage, which I was so freakishly stoked on. Unfortunately, that never happened but I am thrilled he left so many works behind for us to enjoy and I can't wait to discover them all. Thank you so much! Your work will live on to inspire generations of artists forever. Pour Moebius... Merci beaucoup pour le voyage.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: I love this artist! MOEBIUS

Postby so sorry on Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:09 am

From Concept Ships:
Selected works by Moebius

wonder what that spiderman one was for?
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Al Shut on Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:26 pm

My guess would be spiderman.
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby DennisMM on Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:41 pm

Moebius did a number of Marvel character shots back in the '90s. I don't know if they were for covers, or posters, but there are Iron Man and Thing paintings, as well.

He also did a Silver Surfer graphic novel, as fans of The Hunt for Red October know.
DennisMM

Postby TheButcher on Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:35 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:43 am

The Artwork of Ralph McQuarrie
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Darwyn Cooke