I love this artist!

Graphic novels. Weekly rags. The @$$holes.

I love this artist!

Postby DennisMM on Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:41 pm

Take a few lines to promote the artists you love. Right now, in the past, whenever.

I love John Cassaday. Nothing I've seen him draw was less than well-done. No slacking that I can remember.

He has a great line. He uses tones and color holds expertly in partnership with Laura Martin. He seems able to step back and say, "Laura, you know exactly what we're doing here."

He draws seams! I love that he draws actual seams. From a distance they might be little more than a short line. Up closer they are obvious. Close up they are stitched, for gods' sakes. They roll a bit. His Captain America had sometimes hundreds of bits of metal in his coin-mail overshirt!

Besides this, he draws great, individualized faces. Yes, he tends to work from a limited number of faces overall, but the number is large enough to encompass a group of the size seen in Astonishing X-Men. In a smaller context, like Planetary, the faces are unique.

I love John Cassaday. Thank you, comics editors, for giving me his art.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby MasterWhedon on Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:56 pm

I completely agree about Cassady. The guy draws his figures like you're looking at a film still. Really love him.

I'm also and incredibly huge fan of Chris Bachalo, Joe Mad and Roger Cruz. These are all guys I've seen work on various X-titles and knock them waaaaay out of the park. They're over-stylized, for sure, but they make them work. They make each frame, each page, each issue dynamic. Can't praise them any higher.
Last edited by MasterWhedon on Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby bluebottle on Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:56 pm

I love John Byrne.

When i was a little kid, still living outside the city, when i was still buying comic books at the variety store, if the cover of the comic had John Byrne's work, it was probably worth the read.

Man, that guy worked his ass off in the 80's, but he generally worked on the best books.

I don't think he was outstanding, I think he was basically following a trend the Neal Adams started, but he was good, and he clearly had a passion for his work.

Whatever... He was the guy who was drawing the stuff that got me hooked, and that's all it takes for me to say, "I love this artist!"

good thread, Dennis.
Last edited by bluebottle on Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:57 pm

I thinkCassady's talented, but it always seems so static to me.
Last edited by burlivesleftnut on Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby burlivesleftnut on Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:00 am

Bluebottle wrote:I love John Byrne.

I <3 U

I especially love Byrne's early work on the Fantastic Four. It was so detailed that my young mind was boggled. He even drew the Thing like I had never seen before.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby bluebottle on Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:05 am

:)

Yeah, I think he pretty much defined the FF for an entire generation. I loved the way he drew the Thing, and then... She-Hulk.

Ahh, man... I loved that first run of She-Hulk he did. I was working in a comic shop by that point, and that was a hot book. Everyone was blown away by it...
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:10 am

Why is dr3w now turning into "Grande Rojo's favorite person"? I'm probably way behind the curve here.

Byrne was spectacular. He defined a generation. His hair and his female eyes taught dozens of other artists how to handle those features.

He was a pretty damned good writer, too.

For me, his greatest achievement was redesigning the FF uniforms. First he extended the collars in both directions, then he pulled the "Negative Zone" effect that changed black to white and medium blue to dark blue. The uniforms went from boring to startling.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM

Postby ONeillSG1 on Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:19 am

For me it is Byrne and Alex Ross.

Jim Lee is up there behind them because he was big during my teen years.

Why Alex Ross, per se?

'Nuff said.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby magicmonkey on Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:03 am

Eddie Cambell's work in "From Hell".

Even though the pictures were rendered in black and white, the texture and form of carnal and mutilated flesh of the victims can almost be tasted, you can smell the urine soaked alleys and feel the dread dripping from Whitechapel's Hawksmoor architecture.

Character frame of mind was well captured too, I particulary remember a childish "innocent" drawing of Gull stood knife in hand looking back over his shoulder, that man, out of his depth and thus rendered as a child before an inconcievable infinity through his actions and his place in them.

The characters all flicker and fade and emerge through the use of shading whether it be for juxtapostion or merely mood.

I remember Harry rumbling on about the goodies on display in the shops in the first hairy Potter film, I wanna do the same for the shops in this. That sweet shop at the start, those gobstoppers. Sorry, sweets, carnal thoughts and stiffness just oozes from this work and its this that adds to the essentially comic (but ultimately tragic) nature of Victorian repression, all communicated and aluded to in Cambells most bodacious drawings.
Last edited by magicmonkey on Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby doglips on Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:12 am

I love P. Craig Russell, his version of Wagners ring cycle is a fantastic achievment. Both artistically and in the fact that he manages to create such a faithful interpretation and bring an opera to life in a comic book. He fits an awesome amount of narrative onto each page, and his skill of conveying emotion through the way he draws each characters eyes is amazing.

I only read the two TPB's because my father in law is an absolute Wagner enthusiast and as a painter and printmaker has illustrated his own books of the four parts of the ring cycle. It was after reading Russell's books that I made myself listen to the opera itself ( I am an opera heathen ) and realised that the artwork not only told the story but reflected the music and it's tempo as well..........These books are genius.

I agree with Dennis, Cassaday is fantastic. I only know his work on Planetary but the amount of detail he adds to each page really is amazing. His work on 'Night On Earth' the Batman / Planetary crossover is fucking amazing, Batman looks incredible in all his different timeline suits.

My favourite artist outright is Mignola. From 'Gotham by Gaslight' and his covers for 'A Death in The Family' through to the current Hellboy 2 parter 'The Island' his work ( for me ) has been nothing short of breathtaking. No one else can get a story across with such bleak and dark panels. I think many people find his work very static, especially in the Hellboy fight scenes, but for me each frame is akin to a snapshot of action. He can suggest detail for your minds eye to fill in brilliantly, so even though some pages can look really sparse, the imagery you come away with is much richer.

I am looking forward to seeing what Lee Bergemo and Duncan Fegredo do with Hellboy, but I am glad that Mignola has not left drawing him forever.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:07 am

Byrne, he did work a himself a silly inna the 80s, eh? SO much a so that he hadda to do a the "White Out" issue for a the Alpha Flight, eh? Where page after a the page it was a just a the white panels with the dialog bubbles a 'cos a he dinna have a the time a to draw the funny book, eh? Snowstorm a my old anna wrinkled ass!
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby DennisMM on Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:58 pm

That was absolutely ridiculous, and he got slammed for it at the time. Marvel loved him so much they didn't force a real story out of him, or a fill-in artist. Utter bullshit.
DennisMM

Postby docfalken on Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:20 pm

Byrne defined the Xmen for me. His Fantastic Four run was also formative for me as a young comic book reader.

When the Image guys came around and the idea that artists could run their own titles, I was totally on board with McFarlane, Lee and yes Liefeld.

Was that period comics golden age? Computers were just coming online for coloring. Artists were running with their own titles away from the big two. And the content matter covered in the books seemed to involve more than just capes and damsels in distress.
Last edited by docfalken on Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
docfalken
HAGGIS?!?!!?!!?!

Postby Pacino86845 on Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:23 pm

Yeah, I also got into that whole Image wave, big times... I might have more comics from Image than any other publisher.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:30 pm

Thing about Alex Ross is that as much as I love looking at his stuff, I never like it in a traditional comic book. I love his work for posters and covers and iconic, grand images, but it doesn't do it for me with word balloons.

Also, Jim Lee is pretty much amazing. I dug a lot of his X-Men work, though I thought some of it was a little busier than necessary. His work on Batman with "Hush" was absolutely perfect though.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby DennisMM on Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:38 pm

docfalken wrote:When the Image guys came around and the idea that artists could run their own titles, I was totally on board with McFarlane, Lee and yes Liefeld.

Was that period comics golden age? Computers were just coming online for coloring. Artists were running with their own titles away from the big two. And the content matter covered in the books seemed to involve more than just capes and damsels in distress.

My exposure to the early Image comics came only an issue or two at a time, because I quickly lost interest, so what follows obviously is biased.

The Image group proved that most (not all) artists need writers. (And vice versa, if you've seen any of the books Jim Shooter laid out (gods, I typed "layed" there and didn't notice for over an hour!) from '77-'85 at Marvel).

Early Image was exciting visually, yes, but with stories written in such a way that the artists could show off with large panels and lots of full-page shots, to the detriment of character and cohesive plot. There were some interesting ideas, but lots of them weren't developed. Erik Larsen seemed to handle story very well, but the others had trouble. Notice that after a while almost every title went to a traditional writer/artist breakdown.

Before the Image creators split off, there were complaints inside Marvel that some of them were going off-plot/script, and most of that came from overlarge panels or action scenes lengthened or inserted where the script did not indicate. These bigger-paneled, action-packed pages would bring better prices when sold at cons.

This is not to say most of the Image artists weren't talented. Jim Lee, especially, was a find. Silvestri was pretty sharp. Valentino was not. As for Liefeld, he just can't draw the human figure and he doesn't understand perspective. Or if he can and does, he's terribly lazy. I was thrilled to see him the first time, under Karl Kesel's inks on Hawk and the Dove. After that I was truly disappointed, because I thought he had promise.

For me, a great comics artist must, first, be a good storyteller.

As I said, my biased opinion.
Last edited by DennisMM on Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DennisMM

Postby Pacino86845 on Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:47 pm

DennisMM wrote:This is not to say most of the Image artists weren't talented. Jim Lee, especially, was a find. Silvestri was pretty sharp. Valentino wasn not. As for Liefeld, he just can't draw the human figure and he doesn't understand perspective.

I wholeheartidly agree with every count of your biased opinion here. I was really into Silvestri's work on Cyber Force. I saw a cover for an X-Book he's doing, where everyone is a skeleton, and that looked pretty cool, though I generally have no idea what any of these guys is up to these days.

Sam Kieth, I'd say, developed a style of storytelling that I found worked quite well, when he was doing The Maxx... but yeah, some of those guys just had really crappy books: Dale Keown, Valentino (as you mentioned), Steven Platt (sp? remember when this guy was thought to be the second coming of MacFarlane? Hahahaha!)... I think the title Jae Lee worked on was generally considered to be one of the better ones, though I'd never read it myself.

One of the late comers that enjoyed terrible success (and still does to this day, I believe) was, at the time newcomer, J. Scott Campbell with Gen 13... those books had no story, and I really didn't like the characters, but he was nonetheless a good artist, and so the value of those books skyrocketed.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby DennisMM on Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:48 pm

Let's start another round of furry faces, shall we? lol. When Byrne and Dave Cockrum dr3w Nightcrawler, the area under his eyes often was black, indicating the light was being soaked up by something less shiny than skin. It was a nice effect.
Last edited by DennisMM on Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DennisMM

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:55 pm

Yeah, that's a why a the body paint inna the X2, she bug a me so much, eh?
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby burlivesleftnut on Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:26 pm

WHAH!
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby so sorry on Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:03 pm

I don't have much to add to this topic beings that my comic book days are years behind me, but at the height of my adult comic-book-buying days, i was super into William Tucci and the Shi series, as well as Silvestri /Witchblade.

And from a totally differnet angle, i think Bill Waterson /Calvin and Hobbes is arguable the best comic strip artist. he really nailed the innocence/devilry of a little boy in such a simple yet powerful style.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby DennisMM on Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:07 pm

This may be controversial. Bill Sienkiewicz.

In my opinion, he is the most technically adept artist I've ever seen work in comics. Dave McKean is a close second, but Sienkiewicz blows away the rest.

Years before other mainstream comics artists were using collage, he was gluing clock works and circuit boards onto pages. He made Warlock seem plausible in New Mutants, something even Arthur Adams couldn't quite manage.

In Elektra Assassin he brought together just about everything he had worked with previously -- line art, mixed-media painting, collage, photography, fibers -- and went completely nuts with it.

The book dr3w harsh criticism and over-the-top applause (from me, at the time), but it told the story Frank Miller wrote, in the full-script style Sienkiewicz received, and broke new ground.

Also, Sienkiewicz is a nice guy and a good dancer.
DennisMM

Postby docfalken on Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:13 pm

I agree with you Dennis. If his name was easily spelled or pronouncible, he'd have ruled the universe. Honestly my biggest barrier with him was actually talking to anyone about him. If he was Bill Sands, we'd have a bunch of guys copying his style today.
docfalken
HAGGIS?!?!!?!!?!

Postby DennisMM on Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:15 pm

SinKEVitch

ETA: He corrected me himself, if I can recall that mutually drunken moment in the Ramada O'Hare bar, after hours at the '86 ChicagoCon (aka SweatCon).

Time to work.
DennisMM

Postby bc1970 on Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:49 pm

These artists at these times made me love comics:
George Perez - Titans, Jim Starlin - Dreadstar, Romita JR - 80's Spiderman and X-Men, Brian Boland - Camelot 3000, Walt Simonson - Thor, also Howard Chaykin, Adam Hughes, Kelly Jones - Batman, Frank Cho, Mike Manley.

Perez and Wolfman made The Titans so so incredible.
bc1970
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Seppuku on Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:50 pm

Captain Beefheart can draw purtier than he can sing.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Seppuku on Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:53 pm

Ah you guys meant Comic Book artists, well I'm gonna have to be real adventurous here and say my fave's Jack Kirby. Let's just say I dug the hell out of The Marvellous World of Marvel when I was a wee one.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby burlivesleftnut on Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:57 pm

Yeah Kirby. It's funny, when I was a kid I thought his stuff was so corny, but now I think its magnificent.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Sleazy G on Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:58 pm

Among many, many others I'd have to say Kelley Jones, whose work I praised in this week's column, is always a standout. Chris Ware is phenomenal--I love the feeling I'm looking at somebody who went to design school, not somebody who grew up reading Marvel books. Also Eric Powell--this guy came from outta nowhere, and he's got one of the most expressive, individualistic styles out there right now. There are plenty more--I'll add as I think of 'em, maybe.

I signed up for the forums back in July, but didn't think they were gonna get off the ground. I'm really glad to see they have. Nice work, guys.

P.S. How the hell do I reply directly to a post instead of just getting dumped at the end like in the TB's? Anyone?
Sleazy G
GLIB

Postby burlivesleftnut on Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:09 pm

You can't. But if you want to QUOTE a post there is a button over to the right of the post you want to quote.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby griff311 on Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:35 pm

bc1970 wrote:These artists at these times made me love comics:
George Perez - Titans
Perez and Wolfman made The Titans so so incredible.

The New Teen Titans #16 was the first comic book I bought with my own money. I fell in love with it after the first few pages. Perez and Wolfman are my comic book gods and started a 25 year obsession with comic books.
griff311
GLIB

Postby MasterWhedon on Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:39 pm

Check out Roger Cruz's gallery on his website HERE. Of the modern guys working, he's one of my absolute favorites.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby St. on Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:22 am

Art Adams.

The covers to Classic X-Men were fantastic and what got me to look at stuff outside Spider-Man and G.I. Joe as a kid. To this day I've never been disappointed in anything I've seen from him.
St.
GLIB

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:26 am

Longshot is one of my favorite moments in comicdom, St.

Where is Art now?!?!?@
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Ribbons on Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:00 am

I don't know if I have a favorite artist, but I know I used to love Mark Bagley's stuff on Amazing Spider-Man and Thunderbolts.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Lyonaz on Sat Dec 10, 2005 4:35 am

Stopped reading comics, but back then I liked Joe Madureira and especially Carlos Pacheco, his work on X-men was awesome.
Lyonaz
GLIB

Postby St. on Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:52 am

Art is still drawing. He drew(WTF?) a Composite Supergirl sketch for charity or something just a couple of months ago. He was also drawing Johnni Future in Tom Strong's Terrific Tales while that was running. One of the big two really should get him on an ongoing. They employ Pat Lee and Rob Liefeld but not Art Adams?!?!
St.
GLIB

Postby rserocki on Sun Dec 11, 2005 11:51 am

I like Gary Gianni's work. Check out his galleries here (if you like) http://garygianni.com/

I found out about him when he was drawing for Dark Horse's release of The Shadow.
rserocki
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Spenworks on Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:02 pm

Michael Golden
Last edited by Spenworks on Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spenworks
GLIB

Postby Spenworks on Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:03 pm

Dave Stevens
Last edited by Spenworks on Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Spenworks
GLIB

Postby Spenworks on Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:03 pm

jim Starlin
Last edited by Spenworks on Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spenworks
GLIB

Postby Spenworks on Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:04 pm

Jim Steranko
Spenworks
GLIB

Postby Spenworks on Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:05 pm

Bogdanave and Janke did my favorite Superman
Spenworks
GLIB

Postby Spenworks on Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:06 pm

Of course, Bernie Wrightson
Spenworks
GLIB

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:21 pm

Goseki Kojima Some of the greatest brush work I have ever seen in my life.

Jaime Hernandez Beautiful. I've been in love with Hopey since I first discovered Love and Rockets at my local comique repository as a childe.

Paul Pope Not the best writer in the universe, and kind of an egotistical prat, but goddamn can this man draw.
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby Spenworks on Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:32 pm

Don't forget Beto! personally Beto Hernendez's work really resonated with me. he took the style of the Archie Comics artist and put in into the stratosphere! Some of the best work about provincial Mexican life ever commited to page in any medium.

IMHO.

Spenworks
GLIB

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:37 pm

Hey Spen, thanks for contributing, but you could have put alot of this in ONE post as opposed to posting again and again and again.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Spenworks on Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:42 pm

true, but i kept thinking of other artists i like. Sorry

Last edited by Spenworks on Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spenworks
GLIB

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:44 pm

It's no problem. I am sure it was a legitimate attempt to share... we just are a little concerned about post fluffers.

I have never even heard of some of these artists, so you have given me a lot to research.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Spenworks on Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:45 pm

go to www.lambiek.net. Its an AWESOME resource
Spenworks
GLIB

Next

Return to Comic Books