I love this artist!

Graphic novels. Weekly rags. The @$$holes.

Postby Pacino86845 on Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:46 pm

Hi Spenworks, welcome to the Zone.

I noticed that you posted several images that not only have nothing to do with your posts, but that they are in fact related to your own projects. We have a dedicated space where you can promote your own work, and you can find this at The Shameless Promotion Room. I've removed these images from your posts.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Spenworks on Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:49 pm

http://www.geocities.com/Area51/5484/GG.html

This is a link to a Michael Golden gallery

of course www.davestevens.com. He is most well known for creating the Rocketeer, but his pinups are the of the finest caliber.

And of course, check out my own work, of course, i am nowhere near he level of the others i listed, but i have a chop or 2.

Peace
Spenworks
GLIB

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:57 pm

Oh wow Spen, that She-Hulk cover and Rom cover are two of my favorites believe it or not!
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Colin on Sun Dec 11, 2005 1:12 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:Check out Roger Cruz's gallery on his website HERE. Of the modern guys working, he's one of my absolute favorites.

HAHAHA DISOWNED!
Colin
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:05 pm

Spenworks wrote:Don't forget Beto! personally Beto Hernendez's work really resonated with me. he took the style of the Archie Comics artist and put in into the stratosphere! Some of the best work about provincial Mexican life ever commited to page in any medium.

IMHO.

oh yeah, i love Beto too, but i LOVE Jaimez work. The Death of Speedy arc, and the stories about the Jerusalem Crickets on tour are some of my favorites comix stories EVER. how LnR hasn't been picked up by an indie studio for a live action film i'll never figure out. it would be HUGE.
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby DennisMM on Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:06 pm

A few lines about why you like a particular artist would be great, but if you prefer a list, so be it.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby fried samurai on Sun Dec 11, 2005 4:00 pm

My fav artist is Eduardo Risso.I think the stuff he's doing in 100 Bullets is amazing.

Every character he draws looks different and he never neglects the surrounding objects.Very noir like.I love his work.
fried samurai
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby DocPazuzu on Sun Dec 11, 2005 4:24 pm

Neal Adams, Simon Bisley, Ross Andru, Jim Aparo, Jack Kirby, Frank Thorne and Bernie Wrightson.

DocP
Now cough.
DocPazuzu
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Ribbons on Sun Dec 11, 2005 4:41 pm

DennisMM wrote:A few lines about why you like a particular artist would be great, but if you prefer a list, so be it.

My bad. I really don't know what it is I like about Bagley. There was just something about the way he drawed Spider-Man that sort of got me hooked on his style. Maybe because it's sort of cartoony, but also sort of not, which makes it more accessible? I don't know. I think his work has gotten sloppier since joining USM, but that he's gotten better at creating story and mood with his choices.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby DennisMM on Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:21 pm

I really enjoyed Bagley's work on Thunderbolts. His art nicely balances cartoon styles and realism, as you wrote. He's open and fresh and his art is fun to look at, which isn't always a plus for other artists.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM

Postby MasterWhedon on Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:45 pm

Colin wrote:
MasterWhedon wrote:Check out Roger Cruz's gallery on his website HERE. Of the modern guys working, he's one of my absolute favorites.

HAHAHA DISOWNED!

You disapprove. That's cool, but Cruz is still my guy.

I first fell in love with the guy's stuff on his Age of Apocalypse and X-Man run a few years back. It was around the same time Joe Mad was drawing Uncanny and Jeff Matsuda was drawing X-Factor. They each had such a great left-of-center, slightly-manga style coupled with near-flawless layouts and and a really great feel for character and emotion.

Roger Cruz was my personal favorite of the three. Here are a few examples of his work:

Wonder Woman and Flash Cover
Cyclops and Emma Page
Magneto Page
Wonder Woman Page
"No Kiss" Sketch
"Phone Call" Sketch
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Colin on Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:00 pm

Cruz is a guy who I'll admit has gotten a lot better both as a technical artist and a storyteller, but I find that he hasn't evolved much in terms of style and atmosphere. He started out swiping quite a bit from Joe Mad, and I commend him for growing above that. But when I see his stuff I still don't find anything interesting or exciting about it. His range of body-types and facial expressions is still very limited.

I can understand while you and others would findhis work appealing, as you said it has a nice dash of manga influence and the characters are all portrayed very 'supermodel'-like. It still works and is vital in the superhero genre.
Colin
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Colin on Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:04 pm

Ribbons wrote:
My bad. I really don't know what it is I like about Bagley. There was just something about the way he drawed Spider-Man that sort of got me hooked on his style. Maybe because it's sort of cartoony, but also sort of not, which makes it more accessible? I don't know. I think his work has gotten sloppier since joining USM, but that he's gotten better at creating story and mood with his choices.

I think his storytelling skills have gotten a lot better because he's had to pump out two, two and a half books a month. He's having to rely more on mood and emotion of the characters to tell the story and less on eye-candy. If he slowed down a bit more I'm sure he'd be at the top of his game.
Colin
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Colin on Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:14 pm

DennisMM wrote:This may be controversial. Bill Sienkiewicz.

In my opinion, he is the most technically adept artist I've ever seen work in comics. Dave McKean is a close second, but Sienkiewicz blows away the rest.

Years before other mainstream comics artists were using collage, he was gluing clock works and circuit boards onto pages. He made Warlock seem plausible in New Mutants, something even Arthur Adams couldn't quite manage.

In Elektra Assassin he brought together just about everything he had worked with previously -- line art, mixed-media painting, collage, photography, fibers -- and went completely nuts with it.

The book dr3w harsh criticism and over-the-top applause (from me, at the time), but it told the story Frank Miller wrote, in the full-script style Sienkiewicz received, and broke new ground.

Also, Sienkiewicz is a nice guy and a good dancer.

Truth.

Have you read his Jimi Hendrix: Voodoo Child? His greatest work ever.
Colin
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby DennisMM on Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:19 pm

Colin wrote:
DennisMM wrote:This may be controversial. Bill Sienkiewicz.

EDIT

Truth.

Have you read his Jimi Hendrix: Voodoo Child? His greatest work ever.

I've looked through it but never read it in full. It was fabulous stuff.
DennisMM

Postby bc1970 on Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:05 am

Sienkiewicz's Jimi Hendrix is insane. There's this scene where he's in Nam, looking out of a copter... it pans down, pulls back, and there's a lake under the copter in the shape of a guitar.
bc1970
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Colin on Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:26 am

Yeah, man! And there's one page where you can even almost tell what note he's playing for Belly Button Window...
Colin
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby dark wesley on Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:32 pm

got to say paul chadwick,
i love the way he infuses concrete with so much soul, i think his ability to render a big rock with holes, as a truly fragile human amazing!
i wish my middle name was tiberius.
dark wesley
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Pacino86845 on Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:05 pm

Good call on Chadwick, dark wesley! I only read the first volume of the Concrete "adventures," but was fairly impressed with what I saw.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby DennisMM on Wed Dec 14, 2005 3:12 pm

You should get the various miniseries TPs, Pacino. Chadwick's writing and art have matured as he's aged. In the most recent ms there's a tremendously erotic sequence between Ron and Maureen.
DennisMM

Postby Pacino86845 on Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:42 pm

Concrete is definitely one of those titles I'll keep an eye out for on my next comic-purchasing excursion.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby dark wesley on Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:34 am

theyre really doing an amazing job with those collected editions as well, they're really well designed and quite the bargain, especially for the quality of material!
i wish my middle name was tiberius.
dark wesley
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Gheorghe Zamfir on Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:35 am

Thought I'd bump this with some love for a couple guys I didn't see. Gene Ha's work with Moore on Top Ten and Forty Niners immediately launched him into my favorites, just really detail oriented, energetic, vibrant stuff, I just love how big he managed to make that world. Have picked up anything else by the guy though (though the preview stuff of his earlier work like Batman: Fortunate Son left me a bit underwhelmed), be interesting to see how he fares from here on out on projects without Moore.

And Gabriele Dell'Otto! I love this guy's stuff! He's another painter jumping into the comics world, which I know a lot of people can give or take in the panelled world of comics, but I find it completely stunning. Bendis didn't do much for me with Secret Wars, but I loved Dell'Otto's work throughout most of this, and the stuff I've seen of Batman: Europa looks equally jaw dropping and I cannot wait to see it.

Did I miss Europa by the way? I can't say I keep the closest watch on comics so its very possible it came out already while I was blinking, but I remember reading about it forever ago and haven't seen or heard much since.
Gheorghe Zamfir
REAL DRAGON

Postby Colin on Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:47 am

Gene Ha's gonna be doing The Authority with Grant Morrison. I think he'll do fine.
Colin
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:08 am

Colin wrote:Gene Ha's gonna be doing The Authority with Grant Morrison. I think he'll do fine.

my boner-made-out-of-punching material just punched me.

wow.

I say again, wow.

now that, that project right there sounds promising.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Colin on Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:09 am

Yeah, Morrison's gonna be doing more stuff for Wildstorm this year, and I can't fucking wait. Wildcats with Jim Lee, too.
Colin
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Ju? on Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:22 pm

Does anybody have any desktop backgrounds of the art of either Jim Lee, Arthur Adams or Joe Madureira? Preferrably in 1024x768 resolution.
Ju?
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Ju? on Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:24 pm

I just want to give a shout-out to one of the greatest comic book artists of all time. Your work on Longshot was way ahead of it's time back in '85. You blessed the FF with your awesome rendition of Joe Fixit, which you actually Grande Rojo's favorite person for me on a comic board back when I was 11 (1991), which I have since lost . Your influence on J. Scott Campbell is very evident. God bless you, and please make a return trip to FL so I can get another sketch.
Ju?
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Ju? on Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:24 pm

Thank you Jim Lee, for reviving every comic book you put your mark on. Fo that, I can even forgive most of your original work, although, in my opinion, Deathblow was a good book. Thanks for Omega Red. Basically, thanks for taking comic book art to the next level, and for inspiring wannabes.
Ju?
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Ju? on Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:25 pm

Thank you Joe Mad for bringing your anime/graffiti style to comic books. Like Jim Lee, you have spawned many copycats, but you are the pioneer. Although I've heard you're a lazy-ass when it comes to deadlines, the wait is worth it. I hope the rumors that you're taking over a Spidey book are true. The original Astonishing X-Men is one of my favorite limited series of all time, and Deadpool was great too.
Ju?
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Flumm on Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:27 pm

I'm not all that familiar with the work of the artists invovled Ju?, but I thought I'd just take a moment to say - I appreciate you for saying that.
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:32 pm

Ju? wrote:Does anybody have any desktop backgrounds of the art of either Jim Lee, Arthur Adams or Joe Madureira? Preferrably in 1024x768 resolution.

Comic Art Community has a really great selection of covers, pages, splashes, etc. Not sure what they have for wallpapers, but it's probably worth a look.
Last edited by MasterWhedon on Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Ju? on Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:33 pm

Ju?
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Ju? on Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:33 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:
Ju? wrote:Does anybody have any desktop backgrounds of the art of either Jim Lee, Arthur Adams or Joe Madureira? Preferrably in 1024x768 resolution.

Comic Art Community has a really great selection of covers, pages, splashes, etc. Not sure what they have for wallpapers, but it's probably worth a look.

Thanks. I'll check it out now.
Ju?
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby unikrunk on Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:38 pm

Flumm wrote:I'm not all that familiar with the work of the artists invovled Ju?, but I thought I'd just take a moment to say - I appreciate you for saying that.

Flumm, I appreciate you for your appreciation of Ju?

/Just wanted to put it out there.
He can't' love you back...
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ju? on Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:40 pm

:lol:
Ju?
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Ju? on Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:40 pm

By the way, thanks to whoever edited my post. I was actually gonna do that once I saw how big that pic turned out to be.
Ju?
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby DennisMM on Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:44 pm

Ju?, thanks for reviving this thread, if only indirectly. Always nice to see people talk artists.
DennisMM

Postby unikrunk on Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:52 pm

Everyone should check out Brandon Bird. I love his stuff.

Also, Mark Ryden.

/Top Drawer.
He can't' love you back...
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ju? on Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:57 pm

DennisMM wrote:Ju?, thanks for reviving this thread, if only indirectly. Always nice to see people talk artists.

No prob, but you can thank MasterWhedon for that too.
Ju?
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby The Vicar on Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:02 pm

What, no Neal Adams love?

The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby King Psyz on Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:11 pm

this thread needs more funny book pictures

my appologies... had to be done.
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby The Vicar on Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:17 pm

Jesus, had no idea Cap was hitting the 'roids.
Yikes.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby King Psyz on Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:18 pm

no it's just Liefeld hitting the crack (click on the picture to read the wikpedia article)
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby DennisMM on Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:09 pm

The Vicar wrote:What, no Neal Adams love?

Neal Adams invented modern comics storytelling. He is a god among men, even if he spent 20 years forcing other artists to draw just the way he did.

Enough love for ya?
DennisMM

Postby Ju? on Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:10 pm

When Neal Adams was hot, John Byrne was better. I think Arthur Adams did more for the modern comic book art movement in the '80s.
Ju?
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby DennisMM on Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:14 pm

Neal Adams was hot when Byrne was drawing clunky robots in the back of E-Man, and while Byrne is one of the better artists of the past 30 years, he did not innovate at all in the way Neal Adams did. Arthur Adams I recognize for the "lots of lines" movement that continued through the '80s and '90s. Fantastic artist, but I wouldn't credit him with any breakthroughs. IMO.
DennisMM

Postby Ju? on Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:20 pm

How many artists is Neal Adams' style evident in, and how many have admitted it?
Ju?
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Ju? on Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:27 pm

St. wrote:Art is still drawing. He Grande Rojo's favorite person(WTF?) a Composite Supergirl sketch for charity or something just a couple of months ago. He was also drawing Johnni Future in Tom Strong's Terrific Tales while that was running. One of the big two really should get him on an ongoing. They employ Pat Lee and Rob Liefeld but not Art Adams?!?!

At this point in his career, Art Adams can do whatever he wants. I don't think it's that nobody's hiring him, because he still does art for every company there is, even in 2006.
Ju?
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Ju? on Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:29 pm

By the way, before anybody gets all worked up; I'm joking, Neal Adams is a treasure to comicdom. He was part of the advancement of realism in comic book art, and I commend him for that. John Byrne is not really on his level. I just wanted to say that to get shit riled up, but I couldn't hold in the truth much longer.
Ju?
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

PreviousNext

Return to Comic Books