The Walking Dead

Graphic novels. Weekly rags. The @$$holes.

The Walking Dead

Postby bluebottle on Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:10 am

Anyone reading this? It started off really well, but it's gotten a little lame in the last couple issues.

Yes, I get that humans are the REAL monsters.

Still, a fun series.
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Ginger Man on Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:09 am

Dude, I read it (past tense). I grabbed an issue in the middle (while they were holed up in the prison). Thought it was great. Grabbed the 1st two trades and was bored out my skull. Just could not make myself care about these characters or their troubles. Love the art though.
The Ginger Man
Hong Kong Drizzle

Postby bluebottle on Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:15 am

yeah, the art is fantastic... i find the writing had a lot of promise in the beginning, but he didn't really know where he was going with it and it petered out.
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Ginger Man on Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:35 am

I don't think the premise allows for the length of story he wants to write. Works great for a 2 hour film. But for 70+ issues of a comic? Eh...
The Ginger Man
Hong Kong Drizzle

Postby bluebottle on Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:38 am

yeah, that's kind of what i was worried about when i started reading it... But that's the trick with a lot of comic books, isn't it? You set the world, you set the hero, and then you throw things in his/her way. That's it. The premise is either strong enough to sustain years of stories, or it isn't.

And i found that there are too many characters... He should have taken a page out of Y: The Last Man. Core group of three (four counting the monkey).
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Ginger Man on Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:45 am

Yeah, but even Y is getting old for me. Each trade seems to follow the same basic story structure and are starting to wear thin.
The Ginger Man
Hong Kong Drizzle

Postby bluebottle on Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:50 am

well, it's better when the writer knows where's he's going and has a plan how to get there, and when he should finish.

they shouldn't get obsessed with the idea of making it a long running series. If the writer for The Living Dead had, like 24 issues (2 years) to tell the WHOLE story, it would be fantastic. But everyone want these things to run forever. So, we won't get a wrap up until the comic is cancelled or the writer has had enough (which might not be the death of the comic since it could be handed off to someone else)

it's the same in tv. A show like Lost knows where it's going, and the writers know what the ending is going to be, but we won't get it until they decide to wrap up the show... In what, 4, 5, 8 years? All depends on the readers/viewers.
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Trade Paperbacks

Postby Mimekiller on Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:27 am

I follow this series through trade books only becuase of the lack of comic books stores in my area. The first three books have been very solid and Im sad to hear that its dipping in quality as the story goes on.
The Atom Bomb:Made in America, tested in Japan
Mimekiller
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby bluebottle on Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:32 am

it's still worth reading. I mean, it can dip, right, but then it can always get better. I'm still picking it up.
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby rumblecat on Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:35 am

While the last volume was a little bit of a disappointment, for me it was only because the first three (especially the first twio) were so good.

The main problem I have is remembering who everyone is. Sometimes the artwork on the faces looks a little bit samey. Occasionally someone has bitten the dust, and I've found myself peering at the page, wondering if it was someone I liked or the guy who kind of looked like him.

Apparently from # 25 onwards it's heading in a new direction- not in a "they get wacky superpowers" kind of way, but in a way that's meant to be a good jumping on point for new readers.

Still my favourite book out today. Might have to start getting the issues, the six month wait for the TB is starting to turn me into a zombie... :)

:D
rumblecat
GLIB

Postby RapedByKong on Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:40 am

I do enjoy this comic but I really thought the prison arc bogged things down. Havent read the most recent issue so here goes!
RapedByKong
GLIB

Postby Alex DeLarge on Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:35 am

I really like this series, ive only read until vol. 3 though so i havent read the slow parts that everyone is talking about, ill probably pick up the latest volumes after christmas.
Alex DeLarge
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Nabocho on Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:43 am

I love this comic, never been really bored with it yet, but something creepy must happen in that prison right now! At first the prison thing seems cool, but now they are too safe, and no zombies in #23 and #24 :?

Another great comic about zombies is Remains :P
Surry phor my krappy inglish xD
Nabocho
GLIB

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:51 am

is the comic really that good? believe it or not, i've never read it. i flipped through it a few times and it didn't grab me. should i re-evaluate?
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby zombieslayer on Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:21 pm

anyone read Marvel Zombies by the same writer yet? I dug the UFF that set up the premise... can't go wrong with Hulk eating people's heads...
zombieslayer
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby HoodedAvenger on Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:26 am

heh read the first three trades last night ... I'm liking the series so far nicely hopeless
I Tire Of This
HoodedAvenger
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby dark wesley on Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:45 am

just finished the 4th trade, i dont see the dropping off of quality, just the opposite, i think there was real development of characters and situations, and we see rick making choices about how to survive that dont sit right with anybody, including him, i thought it was excellent and cant wait for more and morre.
i wish my middle name was tiberius.
dark wesley
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Malachi Constant on Thu Dec 15, 2005 3:46 pm

The creators honestly can not get them out fast enough for me to read. I love the writer's notion of "what happens after the credits roll on a zombie flick". They really delve into alot of questions that pop up once all of the usual stuff is explored in the two hours or so a zombie flick runs.
Malachi Constant
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Nitro13 on Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:51 pm

I like Walking Dead very much, but the whole prison thing is getting boring, I agree. I truly hope it's going to get better...

Still better than anything else I've read in the past.
Nitro13
GLIB

Postby Chairman Kaga on Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:06 pm

Best Zombie comic in my opinion....though I have only read the first two tpbs...
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Colin on Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:46 pm

I think the first 3 issues were shit, but then it really took off. I find it gets better and better with every issue, rather than the other way around. It's really cool to see the cast fall apart as time goes by.

There's a lot of scenes with people yelling at each other, aren't there?
Colin
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Re: The Walking Dead

Postby Theta on Fri Dec 30, 2005 6:31 pm

Bluebottle wrote:Anyone reading this? It started off really well, but it's gotten a little lame in the last couple issues.

Yes, I get that humans are the REAL monsters.

Still, a fun series.

I like the human drama aspect. I also think you're missing something important...namely, that in two issues or less, those fences are coming down and the shit's hitting the fan. Kirkman loves nothing better than to misdirect us and make us forget about the zombies and then BAM! Goodbye developed character!

Since the only person who won't get eaten is Rick, I'm thinking Rick's son and probably Dale and Andrea are the zombie fodder.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby Theta on Fri Dec 30, 2005 6:33 pm

zombieslayer wrote:anyone read Marvel Zombies by the same writer yet? I dug the UFF that set up the premise... can't go wrong with Hulk eating people's heads...

Shit, KIRKMAN's writing that? His work for Marvel is so blah and uninspired, either he's doing it for the paycheck or Joe Quesada is making him write like Bendis. I could have done without the zombie powwow in the middle of the book.

Love the title, though.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby bluebottle on Fri Dec 30, 2005 6:41 pm

Marvel Zombies is actually really good. I enjoyed the hell out of it.

I mean, when you've got a zombie spider-man whining, "oh god, i ate aunt mae and mary-jane... what's wrong with me?!" you know you're in for a treat.

it's really disgusting. it's awesome.

<spoiler>
The Hulk eats... umm... someone, I can't remember who, and he turns back into Bruce Banner and all the bones from his victim burst through his stomach</spoilere>
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Toey on Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:14 pm

Well, first post for me.

I have read all the series and really enjoyed it. I did get a bit lost with the CHaracters, but the think I like, is they aint afraid to off a few characters here and there.

The art works is good, the facial expressions are well done.

Can't wait to see what happens next.....
Toey
GLIB

Postby MasterWhedon on Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:00 pm

Hey, all this zombie fever has gotten me interested in this comic. Is it worth my time?
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby R0BTRAIN on Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:33 pm

Robert Kirkman actually lives really close to me, and I know for a fact he plans these arcs months in advance. He also talks a lot about how its way more difficult to write this book than it is Superhero stuff because the people are just normal folks that are thrown into this terrible situation. To be honest with you guys I only read the comic at first because I was friends with the guy (and because he gives me all the issues for free) but now its actually my favorite comic.
Chuck Norris fact #1 - Chuck Norris' tears cure cancer. Too bad he has never cried.
R0BTRAIN
GLIB

Postby Kilgore on Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:37 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:Hey, all this zombie fever has gotten me interested in this comic. Is it worth my time?

Abso-fucking-lutely.

That about sums it up.
Kilgore
AIRWOLF

Postby rumblecat on Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:32 pm

Yeah, well worth picking up the TPBs. I have to say I'm one of those people who think this comic has gone a little off the boil in the past year and a bit- but that's only because it set such a high standard for itself. As for where it's going, after the cliffhanger of the last issue, I have no idea. But I like the fact that Kirkman isn't scared to fuck with his characters, and it's the only comic book I can't wait to pick up.
rumblecat
GLIB

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:40 pm

rumblecat wrote:As for where it's going, after the cliffhanger of the last issue, I have no idea. But I like the fact that Kirkman isn't scared to fuck with his characters, and it's the only comic book I can't wait to pick up.

what issue are you on?

#30 was a bit of a let-down, but after the heinous display of humanity on display in #28-29, I was sorta glad for it.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby magicmonkey on Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:09 am

Read about the first 25 issues. That badass beyach with a sword and chained up zombies needed a spin off comic. I will keep reading... It is grim and I must admit I want it grimmer and grimmer and... you get the point.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:09 am

Just got through reading Walking Dead volume 1. I will be writing up a review soon in the Comic Review Thread...as soon I post it I will edit this post to include a link to it. In short, I enjoyed volume 1. I was bit underwhelmed...because of all the high praise the book has recieved. But I was entertained. I would definitely classify it as one of my favorite popcorn comics out there right now. I am in the process of hunting down volume 2.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Silent Shout on Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:09 pm

So has anyone found Volume 5 yet? I know it supposedly shipped to stores this week, I'm still unsure when it will hit shelves (as Amazon's removed their date/post-dated it).
I just want your music tonight
Silent Shout
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Flumm on Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:19 pm

I can't help you there, SilentShout, but if I can be all bold for a second, may I say you have excellent taste in tunesmithery?

:o

Perhaps I'll see you around the music threads, sir, so untill then, that's kind of all I'm thinking, thanks for having me, and as you were, comic bookers...
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Silent Shout on Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:21 pm

Flumm wrote:I can't help you there, SilentShout, but if I can be all bold for a second, may I say you have excellent taste in tunesmithery?

:o

Perhaps I'll see you around the music threads, sir, so untill then, that's kind of all I'm thinking, thanks for having me, and as you were, comic bookers...

You will definitely see me there. I was trying to think of a cool screen name and Silent Shout came on, the choice was made.
Silent Shout
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Flumm on Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:35 pm

Well, I can understand those sentiments completely. ^^

If you felt like it, SS, you could introduce yourself at the Welcome New Zoners thread if you felt like it, let folks say hey, or not and just mingle as you may, it's your call, matey.

If you're new to the forum thing, which you probably aren't, but just incase, say you can't find the soloution to a problem with the search button, you can just PM one of the boys in green at the bottom of the page, and they'll do their best to help you on your way...

Generally, anything goes, but kind of maintaited beneath a no hate just debate kind of attitude, which is kind of an adage from old when the forum was young, and we find it works pretty well... anyhows, I think that's all you need to keep you going, have fun with it all, and I hope you find your way to stickin' around, dude.
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Silent Shout on Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:21 pm

So what's the general consensus on TPB #5? Part of me was a bit let down by it, not sure why. I read the first 4 back to back, so maybe it was just that I was reading this one out of place. I like that the story finally found itself outside of the prison a bit, but I'm not sure what I think of it all. Granted, it was supposed to be brutal and disturbing, but yuck. A lot of stuff did happen that I wasn't expecting, which makes the series pretty cool and exciting. The 2 page spread of the zombies feeding was AWESOME, I also really liked the "new gear" they find. Overall I still liked it, but I probably enjoyed it slightly less than any of the previous issues. Some of my complaints/issues with this volume (with some spoilers) can be read below). That said, I'm definitely looking forward to where the series is headed, and how they'll "get out" of the predicament they're now in.

*some minor spoilers in here*
I also couldn't help but feel like there was a lot from TPB #5 that was a little predictable/derivative of zombie movies, particularly the original Romero Dawn of the Dead (the helicopter, people coming from a news station, the insane/evil group of survivors, etc). Part of me wondered if was supposed to be an homage to zombie flicks/Dawn of the Dead, or if Kirkman seriously just realized he had to throw something different in, so he threw in what's been done in a number of zombie flicks with the other survivors being criminals/insane/out of control/evil/etc.
Silent Shout
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Coheed_and_Cambria on Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:41 am

I enjoyed volume 5..I think the book is fantastic, and I have read them all over and over. My local borders carries these very rarely. I had 1+2, which I had for a while, then recently I saw Borders had 3+4, which I picked up immediatly, and then the other day I was able to get 5. I have liked this book from the beginning, It's dark, its a downer, but dammit you have to cheer for these people who are surviving.

Though**SPOILERS**

The death scene of Herschel's children was brutal, I have NO issues with gore, but they went very far for that one.

But overall, I love the series, and I will continue to purchase the GN's, until they just are not made anymore.
Coheed_and_Cambria
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Stinny on Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:17 pm

I love this series and I'm a huge fan of almost everything kirkman's doing these days. For me the thing that keeps me coming back is he doesn't seem to have any fear at all about offing characters if he thinks it makes sense. So every issue I keep expecting rick to be killed and even then, it wouldn't end the book, it would just be a "what the fuck do we do now" kinda thing for the rest of the survivors.

All of the stuff in the current arc with the governor is amazing too. Even kirkman's villains aren't really villains, they're just really really fucked up people. The zombies are a side plot at this point, something the prison was essential for, which I love. It gave all of the characters a minute to catch their collective breaths and really develop as a group (something the fist fight illustrated).

All in all I love it and I LOVE the zombie renaissance, which if I HAD to put a starting point on, I'd have to say happened somewhere around the dawn of the dead remake or shaun of the dead, ever since then it's been ZOMBIES all the time baby.
Stinny
GLIB

Postby Silent Shout on Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:34 am

Amazon has the cover to TPB6 up:

I'm interested to see what's going to happen in it.
Silent Shout
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby silentbobafett on Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:55 am

One of three TPB's that is responsilbe for getting me back into comics!

i so fucking love this series!

I have no idea whats going to happen in this as I try my best to keep away from it!

Any idea on a release date for this yet?
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby Silent Shout on Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:39 pm

silentbobafett wrote:One of three TPB's that is responsilbe for getting me back into comics!

i so fucking love this series!

I have no idea whats going to happen in this as I try my best to keep away from it!

Any idea on a release date for this yet?

I seriously read the entire series at the time (1-4) in 2 or 3 days. Once I started, I couldnt stop. It also definitely contributed in me getting back into it all too. I definitely didnt expect the events of 5, kinda really messed up the "perfect" little world they had going.

Amazon is saying February 25.
Silent Shout
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:27 am

oh man, how can you guys NOT buy the monthlies?

I won't spoil nuthin', but the brutal, shocking, sick and twisted nature of the story kicks into overdrive with This Sorrowful Life.

Depravity at it's absolute finest.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby magicmonkey on Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:45 am

Cannot wait to catch-up with this series. Last time I read they were still based in the gaol, must catch up with this depravity you speak of KC.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Leckomaniac on Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:41 am

Just finished up through volume 4. What an excellent series and it has been written with excellent percision by Robert Kirkman. This really is one of the better series going on at the moment. I can't wait to get entirely caught up with the series.

Too bad Kirkman's work on Ultimate X-Men is awful. Walking Dead and Invincible are outstanding.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Silent Shout on Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:40 pm

I've heard Battle Pope is decent too, in a funny sort of way.
Silent Shout
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Silent Shout on Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:52 pm

Tony Moore, the artist for the first 6 issues (entire first TPB) has an art gallery of his covers for the series up here:
http://tonymooreillustration.com/v-web/gallery/album01?page=1

This one is just so good:

I really wish he would have stuck with the series longer, the art in those first 6 issues is fantastic.
Silent Shout
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:20 am

Um...WOW.

Anyone keeping up with this book? This last issue was just...savage. Robert Kirkman continues to deliver one of the most brutal comics out there. I couldn't stomach this issue. Man does Kirkman know how to pack a punch. Its crazy how the zombies have really taken a back seat. This is a story about human nature first and foremost...and its brilliant.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chairman Kaga on Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:30 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:oh man, how can you guys NOT buy the monthlies?

Because monthlies suck ass.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:02 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:Um...WOW.

Anyone keeping up with this book? This last issue was just...savage. Robert Kirkman continues to deliver one of the most brutal comics out there. I couldn't stomach this issue. Man does Kirkman know how to pack a punch. Its crazy how the zombies have really taken a back seat. This is a story about human nature first and foremost...and its brilliant.

Quite liked it, but was not sad to see that character get that fate. I am just glad Michonne isn't dead. Yeah!
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Next

Return to Comic Books