The Walking Dead

Graphic novels. Weekly rags. The @$$holes.

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:08 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:
Leckomaniac wrote: Um...WOW.

Anyone keeping up with this book? This last issue was just...savage. Robert Kirkman continues to deliver one of the most brutal comics out there. I couldn't stomach this issue. Man does Kirkman know how to pack a punch. Its crazy how the zombies have really taken a back seat. This is a story about human nature first and foremost...and its brilliant.

Quite liked it, but was not sad to see that character get that fate. I am just glad Michonne isn't dead. Yeah!

I am not sure if I was sad, so to speak, I was just kind of shocked. So expertly rendered, was his fate. I hope this book is back on its monthly track, because it has gotten crazy good. Issue #50 is apparently going to see a huge shift in the status quo and with preview images showing carl leading a zombie version of his father...I wonder what that change is going to be? A drastic shift forward in time?
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fievel on Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:16 am

If you thought it was savage before........
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

can you say "Reboot"???????
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:23 am

Leckomaniac wrote:
burlivesleftnut wrote:
Leckomaniac wrote: Um...WOW.

Anyone keeping up with this book? This last issue was just...savage. Robert Kirkman continues to deliver one of the most brutal comics out there. I couldn't stomach this issue. Man does Kirkman know how to pack a punch. Its crazy how the zombies have really taken a back seat. This is a story about human nature first and foremost...and its brilliant.

Quite liked it, but was not sad to see that character get that fate. I am just glad Michonne isn't dead. Yeah!

I am not sure if I was sad, so to speak, I was just kind of shocked. So expertly rendered, was his fate. I hope this book is back on its monthly track, because it has gotten crazy good. Issue #50 is apparently going to see a huge shift in the status quo and with preview images showing carl leading a zombie version of his father...I wonder what that change is going to be? A drastic shift forward in time?

Oh God no, not Rick!
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Re: The Walking Dead

Postby instant_karma on Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:26 am

I picked up the first couple of hardback volumes of this series a while back and only just got round to reading them last week. I finished reading them that day and couldn't stop thinking about it, so I had to get caught up to date.

I haven't been a monthly buyer for years, but this series is really testing that. Hell, if they brought this thing out daily, I'd get it.

Right now, I'm thinking this is probably the best zombie story I've encountered in any medium. When he says that no character is safe, he really fucking means it.
instant_karma
Comes in 4 exciting flavours

Postby Fievel on Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:57 pm

Why hasn't HBO bought the rights to this as a weekly series?!?!?
I love this story.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Peven on Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:45 pm

when i saw the title of this thread at first i thought it was a comic book about middle-aged married men.........

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Fievel on Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:19 pm

Peven wrote:when i saw the title of this thread at first i thought it was a comic book about middle-aged married men.........

Genius!!!
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby beast2121 on Thu May 21, 2009 5:03 am

hey dont read my post if you dont want the whole jail arc spoiled.

I just picked up all the trades recently and have been out of the comic book game for a while but I really got into this one and didnt realize it was a montly so I was expecting an ending when i roared through all nine trades but anyway the series is badass and all but I think it went downhill and kirkman fucked it up by killing off Ricks wife lori and the child which had been a part of the first...ohh forty issues or so. Now the series has branched on to another new cast of characters and I think he needs to revisit that situation as its getting a little lame. Whats everyone else think?
beast2121
GLIB

Postby Fievel on Thu May 21, 2009 10:17 am

I am 100% on board with what Kirkman is doing with the series. I love the fact that he's not afraid to completely shake things up at an instant like he did at the end of the jail arc.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu May 21, 2009 4:46 pm

Totally. I mean, it is pretty realistic to expect anyone to survive for any length of time in the world Kirkman has created. It was getting so far fetched that none of the family had been killed. It had to happen eventually. So, I see no problem with it. I have taken a break from reading the series (which constantly happens with Walking Dead). I consider it a cool down period. Shit just gets so tense that I need to step back before I subject myself to it once more.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fievel on Thu May 21, 2009 4:54 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:Totally. I mean, it is pretty realistic to expect anyone to survive for any length of time in the world Kirkman has created. It was getting so far fetched that none of the family had been killed. It had to happen eventually. So, I see no problem with it. I have taken a break from reading the series (which constantly happens with Walking Dead). I consider it a cool down period. Shit just gets so tense that I need to step back before I subject myself to it once more.

Not a bad way to go considering that every issue seems to end on a pretty intense cliffhanger and you never know when the next issue is coming!
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu May 21, 2009 5:09 pm

It is gut wrenching. And I am too much of a softie to handle it regularly. Seriously, I am like a marshmallow. That decapitation shook me raw.

I took a break after the first Gov. arc, too. I'm sure to be back though.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Hemi on Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:08 pm

I think the Walking Dead is still good. Sure maybe it dosen't have the impact it did when it first started. But thats the whole point - a story about what happens to people AFTER the initial zombie hullabaloo. I still look foward to it coming out. I don't buy the monthlies, I wait for the collected issues because i find that the monthlies (in any comic really) are like a snack whereas I want a zombie meal thats going to take me more than 5minutes to finish. Anyone know how long the series is going to go for?
Hemi
GLIB

Postby Fievel on Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:20 am

The Walking Dead Map (on Google Maps)

I don't get it.
It doesn't work for me..... but the screenshot they posted looks cool.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby TheButcher on Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:27 am

From CBR:
Revisiting Kirkman's Creator-Owned Manifesto
The AMC adaptation of Robert Kirkman, Tony Moore and Charlie Adlard's Image Comic "The Walking Dead" has already proven to be a smash hit on TV, but the writer behind the blockbuster zombie serial is keeping his hand firmly at the rudder on a huge amount of comics product. The week's leading up to the premier of "The Walking Dead" were met with waves of news on the comic itself including word that the series would move to a day-and-date digital and print distribution model, that it would receive its own dedicated iPhone app and that the original issues of the series would be reprinted for comic shops and sold weekly.

And those aren't the only waves Kirkman has been making in comic shops over the past few months. Stretching back to his establishment as a partner at Image Comics on through the founding of his own Skybound imprint not to mention big time story moves like "Invincible's" Viltrumite War, the spinoff "Guarding The Globe" and the Todd McFarlane co-production "Haunt," the writer's output of and advocacy for creator-owned comics has never been higher.

To help bring the recent moves full circle, CBR wanted to revisit what was in many ways ground zero for his current aggressive run at the market: Kirkman's 2008 "manifesto" video on the need for A-list talent to take a stab at creator-owned comics. Below, check out the full video along with the writer's original support essay where he describes what he'd like to see happen in the comics industry, then sound off on the CBR message boards on how successful Kirkman has been at meeting those goals!
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Fievel on Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:52 pm

Anyone here still keeping up with this?

I have to say, I love how different the worlds are between the comics and TV show. But then, I hate it when the show fucks up characters like Andrea. But then they give wonderful voices and expression to people like Glen. Herschel has become a badass compared to his comic self! And it was good to see a different Carol, but now what's to become of her?

But back to the comic.....

If you're caught up..... I have to say.... Glen's death was easily THE most crushing moment out of the entire series for me. More than when Rick's baby was shot (that was just pure shock - no emotion there). I don't know if it was the way they died, or the gore. I don't know if it was the liking of the TV character. But when that character died I wanted to vomit. My stomach just dropped and I felt nauseous.

I like RIck & Andrea hooking up. Not to get all soap opera-ish, but it's one of those "about time" couplings. They are the two bad-asses of the group. They SHOULD be together.

But the whole Ezekiel/Jesus/Hilltop groups and their war with Negan that's about to go down..... wow. Cool groups. And Negan is a great guy to hate. I just hope it makes for a great story when it's all done with - that it's all worth it.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Fievel on Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:57 pm

If Negan hits the TV show, I'd love this guy to play him (although bulked up just a touch).
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:34 am

Fievel wrote:If Negan hits the TV show, I'd love this guy to play him (although bulked up just a touch).

i could see that. I don't know him that well as an actor though holy crap he's been in a lot of tv.

this reminds me, i need to get caught up on the comic
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Previous

Return to Comic Books