Comic Solicitations for March 2006

Graphic novels. Weekly rags. The @$$holes.

Comic Solicitations for March 2006

Postby Colin on Wed Dec 14, 2005 4:20 pm

Colin
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby burlivesleftnut on Wed Dec 14, 2005 4:49 pm

That re-envisioning of the Silver Surfer seems particularly lame. Wasn't their a Led Zeppelin album cover with that character on it?

And does anyone have an idea what Spidey's new costume is going to be like? I am dying to laugh at it.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Colin on Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:08 pm

A lot of the covers have me going OMFGWTFLOL? but there are a couple of nice ones in there. DC used to put out better covers than Marvel but now they're both pretty much in the same boat. Eye candy for the sake of eye candy, like Maxim. I guess if sales have been getting better lately then more power to them. It's a shame, though.

I'll have my picks for best covers next post.
Colin
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Colin on Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:19 pm

For Marvel, the best cover for March has got to be Fantastic Four: First Family #1.

Beautifully composed, it's a perfect set-up for a 'Year One' story with the FF. What really excites me is that it's gonna be illustrated by Chris Weston. If you've seen his Ministry of Space or The Filth work you'd know why.

For DC, I've got two, both by the same artist. Frank Quitely's All-Star Superman #3 and American Virgin #1.

I know Lois Lane's gotten super-powers a million times before, but this cover really did make me raise my eyebrows much like Clark has standing behind her. It gives you everything you need to know about what you're going to get without actually telling you anything at all. Awesome.

American Virgin's cover is just sick and arousing at the same time. It's also a cleverly composed cover for a first issue. Makes you at least want to pick it up and see what it's about.
Colin
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Pacino86845 on Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:23 pm

Wow, good picks Colin!
I'm also partial to the Sam Kieth, Matt Wagner, and Paul Pope covers... all Batman titles, as I'm partial to him as well.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Colin on Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:32 pm

I'm a huge Pope fan, but what exactly is he trying to get across with his cover that I don't already know? Granted, there isn't much you can do with Batman anymore, having been around for 65+ years and all, but there are other approaches.

Wagner's cover is nicely composed though.

And I consider Sam Keith more of a storyteller than a cover artist. It's the guts of the book where he shines. Would have been nice if they got someone like Simon Bizley or even Kelly Jones to do the covers.
Colin
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Pacino86845 on Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:38 pm

Yeah, totally. I love those loons! I used to buy those Batman vs Bane issues just for the Kelley Jones covers!

And no one drew Lobo better than the Biz! Val Semiecks (sp?) did a fair job for the ongoing series, but the Biz has style like no one else! Inimitable, I say!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby scottgreen on Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:40 pm

Does every big two comic have to taught that its going to change everything forever? You don't need to be a cynic to figure out that these are properties that make the bulk of their money on licenses, nothing is going to substancially change.

Its not manga whether its going to have a run and at some point, even if its terribly overextended, it's going it end.

Does this stuff really sell better than just a good story? Marvel and DC seem to think so to the extent that they cut off good creator runs on titles. I didn't read any, but that seems to have been what happened with Greg Rucka's DC titles.
scottgreen
GLIB

Postby Colin on Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:50 pm

From what little I can understand of your comments, I'd suggest you visit here with that.
Colin
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby DennisMM on Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:04 pm

I scanned through both quickly but can't see the Surfer. Is he not there, or am I more blind than usual?
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby Colin on Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:20 pm

It's Ultimate Silver Surfer, Dennis.

Ultimate Extinction #3

Even though I'm not a fan of the wings I'm still a huge Silver Surfer fan, so I can't help but feel a little giddy about this. Shame it's written by Ellis. He did an all right job with Mar-Vell, though, so this might not be that bad. I bet you 5 dollars when he flies, his wings play music. Nay, not music, but MUSIK.
Colin
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby buster00 on Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:38 pm

Ya know, Quitely's art just might grow on me yet! KAZOWIE! Too cool.

Like everyone else here (ja?) I LOVED WE3. But most of the time, I just can't get my eyeballs around the way Quitely draws the human form.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Adam Balm on Thu Dec 15, 2005 2:51 am

Ooooooh, it's wings. (Although it looks like they ran out of budget and had to bolt together plumbing pipe.) That's, like, angelic and stuff! Whoah! Glad to see Ellis is still about as subtle as being tea-bagged in the face. I can imagine him stroking his beard and drinking his red bull, congratulating himself on being the edgy genius mommy always said he was.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby buster00 on Thu Dec 15, 2005 2:54 am

GodDAMN, Adam! I pissa YOUR pants, I laugha so hard!

Uh, you would've preferred the, urm, surfboard, it's safe to presume?
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Adam Balm on Thu Dec 15, 2005 2:58 am

Nah, I'm not even that much of an SS fan really. My life has just sunk to a point where I look for any opportunity to bash Ellis... :oops:

It probably won't be that bad. I mean, this whole story-line plays to the man's strong suits, so who knows...
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Colin on Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:21 am

A lot of the stuff he's been doing in this Ultimate Trilogy of his is pretty practical. Dropping the cheesy name "Silver Surfer" and just calling the character his real name, "Norrin-Radd of Zenn-La." Simple stuff. It worked well with Captain Marvel (now Mahr Vehl). I like it.
Colin
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby burlivesleftnut on Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:06 am

Regardless... those wings look really dumb.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby dark wesley on Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:42 am

i dont like the way he changed galactus, he said that there was nothing cool about a giant inter stellar being who eats planets, i mean WTF?
giant inter steallr beings who devour worlds are cool as fuck!
i wish my middle name was tiberius.
dark wesley
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Colin on Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:48 am

Ellis is lying. Or else he wouldn't have taken the job. Either that or he's desperate for work.
Colin
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby DennisMM on Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:04 am

Colin wrote:Ellis is lying. Or else he wouldn't have taken the job. Either that or he's desperate for work.

BAD SIGNAL has seemed a little economically desperate of late. Wasting too much on whiskey and Red Bull. Does the fucker eat?

Why the freaking wings? Just left the guy body-surf.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM

Postby magicmonkey on Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:15 am

The dude looks like "The Angel of the North"

magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Adam Balm on Fri Dec 16, 2005 2:12 am

Colin wrote:A lot of the stuff he's been doing in this Ultimate Trilogy of his is pretty practical. Dropping the cheesy name "Silver Surfer" and just calling the character his real name, "Norrin-Radd of Zenn-La." Simple stuff. It worked well with Captain Marvel (now Mahr Vehl). I like it.

Witness the brilliance of spelling things out phonetically to make them seem more alien... :shock:

Ignore the unlikelihood that any alien species will have a tongue and soft palate remotely similar enough to ours to comprise the sounds that make up the the human languages. (FYI, Homo neanderthalensis, one of our closest relatives, didn't even have this. Let alone a species evolved on some other world. Which is why one of the theories for Neanderthals dying out is them being out-competed by homo sapiens, who had the advantage of language over them.)

Fuck. I just turned into the Simpson's comic book guy.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Agent Alonzo on Fri Dec 16, 2005 2:35 am

Just?
alonzo..... my apologies you ho-bag! - banthafodderUK

...that was the funniest post I've ever read at AICN. Comedy gold. I'm stealing it and shooting it in nothing other than a static two-shot. - Kevin Smith
Agent Alonzo
UMAGAA OMBONGO

Postby bluebottle on Fri Dec 16, 2005 2:55 am

reading this stuff makes my heart sink... Spidey's got a new costume thanks to tony stark? uhh... do we have to go through this again?

and wtf is this!??!

Kara and Power Girl have become the dynamic duo of the bottle city of Kandor as the new Flamebird and Nightwing!

ugh.
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Adam Balm on Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:06 am

I can't read comics news anymore. Too painful. My only comfort lately is having read Ultimates 8 and 9 and being reminded of how good comics can still be.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:12 pm

Adam Balm wrote:
Colin wrote:A lot of the stuff he's been doing in this Ultimate Trilogy of his is pretty practical. Dropping the cheesy name "Silver Surfer" and just calling the character his real name, "Norrin-Radd of Zenn-La." Simple stuff. It worked well with Captain Marvel (now Mahr Vehl). I like it.

Witness the brilliance of spelling things out phonetically to make them seem more alien... :shock:

Ignore the unlikelihood that any alien species will have a tongue and soft palate remotely similar enough to ours to comprise the sounds that make up the the human languages. (FYI, Homo neanderthalensis, one of our closest relatives, didn't even have this. Let alone a species evolved on some other world. Which is why one of the theories for Neanderthals dying out is them being out-competed by homo sapiens, who had the advantage of language over them.)

Fuck. I just turned into the Simpson's comic book guy.

Ahem! That would be ME, my good man. In comic books we enter a vast reality different from our own, in which alien females not only have mammaries but they often are larger than gallon milk jugs, yet ride high and show their nipples at all times. My understanding is that sometimes these women have three or more mammaries.

Don't look at my computer!
Last edited by DennisMM on Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DennisMM

Postby bluebottle on Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:18 pm

IMPAMPILASH!!!!
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:35 pm

Adam, you're more like Mr. Spock -- a polymath, able to judge situations cooly and knowing when to kill with a single touch.
DennisMM

Postby bluebottle on Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:38 pm

dennis, i'm so... ashamed... i went to my comic shop and dropped a lot of money on books i wanted to catch up on, and then...

i started a pull list.
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:47 pm

DennisMM

Postby bluebottle on Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:50 pm

HAHHAHA, yeah... i know...

i managed to stay away from it all for so long... SO LONG... but then, after The Ultimates, House of M, and now the new Crisis series... I've been PULLED BACK IN.
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Fri Dec 16, 2005 8:11 pm

Get Powers. Fuck Bendis's other stuff. Get Powers.

If you can stand Ellis, check out Fell. It's not super, not ridiculously quirky in his sometimes irritating way. They're doing a reprint of the first two as a single to push the book, I think.

Buy Planetary volume 1 in the TP. Trust me on this. Don't listen to Adam.
DennisMM

Postby St. on Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:32 pm

Planetary=comic gold.

I can't believe no one is showing the love to the cover of Marvel Zombies #4.
St.
GLIB

Postby Colin on Sat Dec 17, 2005 5:28 am

Yeah, Planetary's definitely the best thing Ellis is doing right now. I find that what he's really good at is superhero stuff. That fact must piss him off, since he's such an advocate of creator-owned books.
Colin
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby The Garbage Man on Sat Dec 17, 2005 6:03 am

St. wrote:I can't believe no one is showing the love to the cover of Marvel Zombies #4.

That cover is GOLD. I've got the big Alex Ross X-Men #1 poster, and I'm dying to add that image along side it.
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby buster00 on Sat Dec 17, 2005 8:44 am

Don't stop at "Planetary." DEMAND that the entire run of "Transmetropolitan" show up under your fucking Christmas tree or hostages WILL be held and dismembered. Let people know that you ARE serious about it.

Let them KNOW.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Shane on Sat Dec 17, 2005 10:10 am

Surfer is more of a silver angel, why did they use wings?
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby Colin on Sat Dec 17, 2005 11:06 am

buster00 wrote:Don't stop at "Planetary." DEMAND that the entire run of "Transmetropolitan" show up under your fucking Christmas tree or hostages WILL be held and dismembered. Let people know that you ARE serious about it.

Let them KNOW.

Yeah, you're definitely one who reads Transmetropolitan.
Colin
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Colin on Sat Dec 17, 2005 11:07 am

Shane wrote:Surfer is more of a silver angel, why did they use wings?

Because he's more of a silver angel.
Colin
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sat Dec 17, 2005 11:11 am

But why wings that are so impractical. The more I think about this new Norin Radd the more I want to take his power cosmic and shove it up his asshole... but he doesn't have one so I am luckless.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Colin on Sat Dec 17, 2005 11:15 am

But he's A PART of the power cosmic...therefore the power cosmic IS his asshole.
Colin
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sat Dec 17, 2005 11:17 am

burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Shane on Sat Dec 17, 2005 11:47 am

Colin wrote:
Shane wrote:Surfer is more of a silver angel, why did they use wings?

Because he's more of a silver angel.

So how is he still considered a surfer?

wouldn't he now be silver angel?
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby Colin on Sat Dec 17, 2005 12:03 pm

I guess.
Colin
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Shane on Sat Dec 17, 2005 12:04 pm

well that's better than a skate board |I guess.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby DennisMM on Sat Dec 17, 2005 2:53 pm

It's better than skis and giant ski poles.

DennisMM

Postby Shane on Sat Dec 17, 2005 3:12 pm

Dude the black racer was the shit
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby Adam Balm on Sat Dec 17, 2005 3:15 pm

"Don't let him touch you!"

He's got a NAMBLA sticker on his skis!
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Sat Dec 17, 2005 3:22 pm

It's funny that Jack didn't bother to put him in black clothing. His racial identity was enough. lol.
DennisMM

Postby Colin on Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:45 am

Colin
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Next

Return to Comic Books