Newbie comic must haves.

Graphic novels. Weekly rags. The @$$holes.

Postby Shane on Tue Dec 27, 2005 8:12 pm

Then go for trades of newer stuff. Don't try to jump in until you find something you can catch up on.

Comics have improved imensly since then.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby Adam Balm on Tue Dec 27, 2005 8:41 pm

I'd go for Ultimate X-Men and Ultimate Spider-Man, Carolian. As much as they were talking about simplifying continuity when Joey Q came on board, the main Marvel universe titles are a mess with crossovers and events and it's impenetrable to the new reader looking for a jumping on point. Believe me, I've tried and failed by getting others interested in the current main Marvel universe.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Shane on Tue Dec 27, 2005 8:47 pm

And the Ultimates

That is a great book and a good starter.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby Adam Balm on Tue Dec 27, 2005 8:49 pm

Oh Carolian, you totally have to try the Ultimates. Even if you're not an Avenger fan. By far the greatest thing Marvel has produced since Joe Quesada took over.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Carolian on Tue Dec 27, 2005 10:13 pm

OK, so is the Ultimate line in general a good bet then, or are there any titles I should avoid at all costs? Looking around at the Ultimate stuff, it's a lot more interesting than I thought it would be back when it launched. Now I feel like a tool for not giving any of it a chance, heh.
The whole world's wild at heart and weird on top.

This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality, and my belief... in personal freedom.
Carolian
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby Ribbons on Tue Dec 27, 2005 10:26 pm

Ultimate X-Men has been the most inconsistent of their ongoings, I think. The way Millar and Vaughan have written that book has been supremely annoying. Bendis too, to some degree.

I'd go in for Ultimate Spider-Man and the Ultimates. Maybe pick up Warren Ellis' "N-Zone" run on Ultimate Fantastic Four.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Kilgore on Tue Dec 27, 2005 10:42 pm

Ultimates is a definite must-have, and easy enough to catch up on, as opposed to Ult. Spidey or X-Men. Not a huge fan of Ult. FF, but that's a personal thing.

And if you happen to like Millar's scribing, and don't have a problem with the gnarlier side of comics, track down Wanted. Very bleak, very funny on the twisted side, and good story.
Kilgore
AIRWOLF

Postby Nachokoolaid on Tue Dec 27, 2005 10:57 pm

I know it was said in the second post, but PREACHER is worth another mention. Get the entire run (all available in TPB) if you can aford it.

But if you want some fun, pulpy stories, without having to know the back stories, check out PREACHER: ANCIENT HISTORY. It has three fun stories of some of the side characters, such as the Saint of Killers (the best, hands down), Jody and TC, and Arseface. They're a blast.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Adam Balm on Tue Dec 27, 2005 11:09 pm

The only two Ultimate titles I'd recommend avoiding at all costs would be the ill-fated 'Ultimate Adventures' and Ultimate Team Up.

Ultimate Fantastic Four isn't the deepest or most well written of the Ultimate titles, but it's without a doubt my favorite. To paraphrase Kilgore, it's a personal thing. And for a long time Ellis hater, painful though it is to admit it, Ellis's run is the high point of the series. If I were you, I'd start with the Doom arc and decide after that if you want to read on after that. (It really is the best jumping on point. Everything is explained on the first page and you jump right into the story.)

Alot of people gave the FF movie a lot of shit for being so close to the Ultimate book, but honestly, the movie would have been alot better if they followed Ellis's story of Doom instead.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Garbage Man on Tue Dec 27, 2005 11:29 pm

Ribbons wrote:Ultimate X-Men has been the most inconsistent of their ongoings, I think.

Agreed, although I much prefer Millar's run, which added some much-needed edge to Xavier in particular and the universe as a whole.
Bendis' issues were too light for my taste, and despite the fact that I love everything else Vaughan writes, I stopped reading after he came aboard.
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby Adam Balm on Tue Dec 27, 2005 11:43 pm

Well, UFF has been damn inconsistent as well, from Millar-Bendis to Ellis to Carey to solo-Millar. Very haphazard and sloppy and there's still stuff that remains to be explained and sorted out from all the divergent directions.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:04 am

Carolian, go for Morrison's first New X-Men TP to jump into the continuity. Frankly, I don't give a damn about the alternate timelines, and most of that has been ignored for a while. If you want to go newer, get the first Whedon TP of Astonishing, which is Gifted. I haven't done more than flip through most X-books in a long fucking time, but Whedon was instantly accessible.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby Adam Balm on Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:09 am

Burl begs to differ on New X-Men. He's reading it now and is decidedly non-plussed.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:19 am

Well, I didn't have a lot of trouble. Actually, I don't remember having a lot of trouble, but my brain doesn't work properly. I've had some weird times these past few years, between medication problems and memory difficulties.

Whedon definitely is teh hot shit for jumping-on.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM

Postby Adam Balm on Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:23 am

DennisMM wrote: I've had some weird times these past few years, between medication problems and memory difficulties.

That would explain your PMing me asking me if I could hide a package for you. Did I ever get back to you on that one?
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:29 am

Adam Balm wrote:
DennisMM wrote: I've had some weird times these past few years, between medication problems and memory difficulties.

That would explain your PMing me asking me if I could hide a package for you. Did I ever get back to you on that one?

No, and I'm damned offended. No matter the favor asked, it's courteous to reply.
DennisMM

Postby Carolian on Wed Dec 28, 2005 5:40 pm

OK, I went ahead and read the three ULTIMATES trades today, and picked up the issues that weren't collected. Good stuff indeed. I gotta admit it: I'm hooked.

As for what comic I dive at next, we'll see. Good suggestions, all, though.
Carolian
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby cinephile2000 on Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:16 pm

Thank you guys for all your suggestions. I think I'm going to buy two or three more but I just wanted to say I got the first Sandman Trade and I'm halfway through it. I love the story. I also bought the Ultimates collected hardback which I will be picking up later this week. Thank you all I am on my way to comic geekiness.
Just remember, your special like everyone else.
cinephile2000
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby Ribbons on Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:21 am

Guess this would be as good a place as any to mention that I went to my local comic shop yesterday and The Goon #15 is now on the stands.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Pacino86845 on Sun Jan 01, 2006 3:44 pm

Great, I'll be looking for it as soon as I'm back from my holidays!!!!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Luke Cage on Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:39 am

DennisMM wrote:...

It's too bad you don't have more to spend, because if you did the first volume of Kozure ÅŒkami (Lone Wolf and Cub) would be near the top of my list of suggestions.

I second that!
Absolutely. positively one of the most beautiful and best stories ever written - be it novel or comic -and non of that big eyed manga bullshit.

I also suggest you read James Robinsons GOLDEN AGE and STARMAN.

WORD!
Luke Cage
GLIB

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sun Mar 12, 2006 4:18 pm

Light Brigade, Tomasi and Snejbjerg.

I don't know what my fascination is with G*d related comics and literature (Lucifer in comics, The Golden Compass Trilogy) seeing how I'm an avowed agnostic, but just picked up the tpb of the Light Brigade and thought it was smashing.

Not the greatest art (Snejbjerg's ok, just sometimes couldn't tell which grunt from which, no widescreen ultraviolence, but some good gore nevertheless) but the story...oh man, that hooked me. Mystical sword that can topple G*d, being sought by a hard luck group of G.I.'s (given some cosmic powers (i.e. can get shot...a lot) by an angelic warrior), led by the Roman Centurion who jabbed Christ on the Cross in the ribs (and who in the process regained his defective right eye...can't argue Jesus, man was so forgiving that even given a deathblow, he'll still heal ya...cool chap in my book); their opposition? A virtually indestructible ('cept for Iron) Nazi whorde of half humans/half demons, led by a right evil angel, who's got some issues with his creator.

Some good character moments, great attention to detail (soldiers pissing on their frozen weapons to unfreeze them) and an ending that got me all choked up.

Good stuff, check it out if ya' get the chance.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby nodforlife on Sun Mar 12, 2006 6:32 pm

It's too bad you don't have more to spend, because if you did the first volume of Kozure ÅŒkami (Lone Wolf and Cub) would be near the top of my list of suggestions.

Depending on where you live, you might want to try your local library for these. The one near my house had all 27 volumes. It's a long read, but absolutely worth it. DAMN YOU RETSUDO!

According to IMDB Darren Aronofsky is doing a film version of Lone Wolf and Cub, anyone know anything about it? I heard it's gonna be a western.
nodforlife
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Luke Cage on Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:38 pm

Depending on where you live, you might want to try your local library for these. The one near my house had all 27 volumes. It's a long read, but absolutely worth it. DAMN YOU RETSUDO!

And that's the truth, Ruth!

According to IMDB Darren Aronofsky is doing a film version of Lone Wolf and Cub, anyone know anything about it? I heard it's gonna be a western.

Well, brotha, I read some time ago that Aronofsky is planning to embed the story into modern times. Don't know if this is still up to date, but I do trust Darren Aronofsky.

WORD!
Luke Cage
GLIB

Previous

Return to Comic Books