Best and Worst of '05 [could be spoilers]

Graphic novels. Weekly rags. The @$$holes.

Postby burlivesleftnut on Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:02 am

This is your space for the your fave of faves (or the stuff that made you plotz) for 2005. It can be whole books, whole miniseries, or just moments that kicked your nuts in a good way.

I will start off by saying that hands down my favorite moment of 2005 happened during issue 3 of Spider-man and Human Torch. The two heroes stop for a snack break while pursuing some Super-Apes and Human Torch questions Spider-man's obsession with Hostess Pies. The meta-joke had me laughing for about 10 minutes straight.

My favorite team up of the year goes to the heroes of Shadowpact. Day of Vengeance made this group of z-listers a thrill to read. I have always been a fan of Blue Devil, so it was great to see him get some love. I hope we get to see more of Detective Chimp and and rest after this Infinite Crisis hullabaloo is finished.

And best new comic for me this year was Dan Slott's the Thing. Another of my all time favorite characters handled in a way that was lovingly attentive and brilliantly edgy. Andrea DiVito who handled art chores has given us the definitive version of the Thing in my opinion. And I can't wait to see where this series goes.

Those are just a few of the things that had me excited this year.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Shane on Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:10 am

Astonishing X-|Men was the best X-book I ever read. I was not a huge X-fan, and rarely read the book, but this book got me hooked.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby bc1970 on Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:24 am

<b>Villains United</b>. I picked up the trade last nite and read it through before I slept. It was ChrisFarleyawesome. I also like <b>Wolverine</b> Enemy/SHIELD in a broad way, but the Northstar thing was pointless and Elektra was weird. You never get to see Reed Richards slapping his head and say <b>"GOD, I'M SO STUPID AND CARELESS!"</b> It ended up not really affecting anything, but it looked beautiful. <b>Shanna</b> looked fantastic also.
bc1970
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Shane on Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:40 am

Yeah Shanna looked good it was Frank Cho, he has such a clean look.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby Shane on Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:43 pm

Worst of 05 for me was the onslaught of crossoversand events. couldn't they just tell a few self contained stories again?
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby Shane on Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:27 pm

wonkabar wrote:I'm a putz

um that's not in the comic arena really

is it?
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby burlivesleftnut on Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:27 pm

wonkabar wrote:I'm a putz

WTF?... putz.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Shane on Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:28 pm

|I remember old ass ones at the time of the origional.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby buster00 on Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:21 am

Vertigo's DMZ is whippin' the shit outta me. Can't wait to see where this one goes in '06.

If Marvel keeps the MAX line going just so The Punisher can be done like it's been done this year, by all means do it. Frank's crazy, madcap hijinks have never been better depicted.

Maybe if MAX got the gratuitous thrill of naked titties and "The Fuck Word" out of their collective system, and then concentrated on using those elements to augment a good story (like DC's Vertigo line has done sucessfully with titles like Y: The Last Man, Preacher, DMZ, and others), they wouldn't have painted themselves into a corner with the imprint. People aren't staying away from MAX titles because they're "too raw"... it's because we're getting horseshit like Shang Chi: Master of Kung Fu.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MasterWhedon on Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:49 am

I was discussing this with someone else a little while ago--I think House of M was a bit disappointing (though I wouldn't call it worst of the year), but the aftermath being dealt with in Decimation is one of the best things of the year. It's had a really nice impact all across the Marvel U that I hope they continue.

Best books of the year were Astonishing X-Men, Runaways and X-Factor (best first issue I've read in a LONG time).
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby wonkabar on Fri Dec 30, 2005 3:16 pm

I-am-a-total-putz. I'm so guilty of PWI (posting while intoxicatad) How embarrassing.
Last edited by wonkabar on Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby burlivesleftnut on Fri Dec 30, 2005 3:20 pm

I'm revoking your everlasting gobstoppers.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby BabiesCoffin on Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:01 pm

Desolation Jones and Fell. I have to rub one out anytime i get something new from Ellis.
BabiesCoffin
GLIB

Postby Shane on Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:19 pm

buster00 wrote:Vertigo's DMZ is whippin' the shit outta me. Can't wait to see where this one goes in '06.

If Marvel keeps the MAX line going just so The Punisher can be done like it's been done this year, by all means do it. Frank's crazy, madcap hijinks have never been better depicted.

Maybe if MAX got the gratuitous thrill of naked titties and "The Fuck Word" out of their collective system, and then concentrated on using those elements to augment a good story (like DC's Vertigo line has done sucessfully with titles like Y: The Last Man, Preacher, DMZ, and others), they wouldn't have painted themselves into a corner with the imprint. People aren't staying away from MAX titles because they're "too raw"... it's because we're getting horseshit like Shang Chi: Master of Kung Fu.

no truer words were ever spoken.

BabiesCoffin wrote:Desolation Jones and Fell. I have to rub one out anytime i get something new from Ellis.

I heard alot about Fell, what is it all about?

it's supposed to be good.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby BabiesCoffin on Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:51 pm

BabiesCoffin wrote:Desolation Jones and Fell. I have to rub one out anytime i get something new from Ellis.

I heard alot about Fell, what is it all about?

it's supposed to be good.[/quote]

Its your basic detective in a new city story. But Ellis is doing it as a budget comic. Its cheaper than normal and all of the issues are self contained stories. He wanted to write something people could buy with the change in their pocket and something they didnt need every issue of to follow.
BabiesCoffin
GLIB

Postby buster00 on Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:17 pm

I LOVE Fell!
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby buster00 on Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:49 pm

Let's start seeing some of the bile that made AICN famous...

"What, are you DENSE? Are you ALF or something? It's the GODDAMN WORST OF '05!"

All Star Batman and Robin should go without saying...and STAY left unsaid. Every time a new issue comes out, I punt my neighbor's Cocker Spaniel in the ribs. The sad part is, I don't even feel sorry for the little fucker. THAT'S how bad this book is.

Fact is, ALL of the Bat-titles except Gotham Central got a D grade or lower in my book this year. Jason Todd? Come ON. This had better end up with him going somewhere very, very dead again. Very, very soon.

You guys type for a while. I've got to puke.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Adam Balm on Sat Dec 31, 2005 2:46 am

Fredo, you're nothing to me now. You're not a brother, you're not a friend.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby buster00 on Sat Dec 31, 2005 3:23 am

Dig the sig, Balm...toldja that Mad Thinker bitch would bloody yer nose...

Ultimate FF (especially the Namor storyline) was a big highpoint this year...and I thought the X-Men crossover mini is off to a good start, too. Ultimate Wolverine Vs. Hulk REALLY got it goin' on.

Warren Ellis disciples had to be pleased with Jack Cross. His JLA: Classified run looked like shit compared to The Ultimates, but I didn't think it was horrible. I just think Ultimates (and, for that matter, Ellis' Ult. FF run) were SO, SO, GOOD in '05.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby bastard_robo on Sat Dec 31, 2005 9:21 am

Huh.. Kinda hard....

For me.... My pick im going with hasnt even been out that long, but im sticking to it...

JOHNNA HEX! Im picking that as the best book of 05'

You can bash House of M, or priase Crisis or what ever indy book or Y the last man, but Johnna Hex just kicks fucking ass!

Worst....

So far, All Star Batman has really dissapointed me... Im sticking with that...

Other books of 05 i liked...

TEEN TITANS is in second place,
EXILES right next to it.
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Re: Best and Worst of '05 [could be spoilers]

Postby bastard_robo on Sat Dec 31, 2005 9:23 am

bastard_robo wrote:Huh.. Kinda hard....

For me.... My pick im going with hasnt even been out that long, but im sticking to it...

JOHNNA HEX! Im picking that as the best book of 05'

You can bash House of M, or priase Crisis or what ever indy book or Y the last man, but Johnna Hex just kicks fucking ass!

Worst....

So far, All Star Batman has really dissapointed me... Im sticking with that...

Other books of 05 i liked...

TEEN TITANS is in second place,
EXILES right next to it.

FUCK! I forgot ASTONISHING XMEN!!! Put that ontop of Titans~
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Colin on Sat Dec 31, 2005 11:23 am

buster00 wrote:People aren't staying away from MAX titles because they're "too raw"... it's because we're getting horseshit like Shang Chi: Master of Kung Fu.

Does that have tits in it?
Colin
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Adam Balm on Sat Dec 31, 2005 4:34 pm

Colin wrote:
buster00 wrote:People aren't staying away from MAX titles because they're "too raw"... it's because we're getting horseshit like Shang Chi: Master of Kung Fu.

Does that have tits in it?

IPAMPILASH
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby fried samurai on Sat Dec 31, 2005 4:37 pm

I cant get enough of 100 Bullets.God I love that book.

Didnt care much for the first Astonishing X-Men trade.There was nothing there that Claremont didn't do better years ago.
fried samurai
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby buster00 on Sat Dec 31, 2005 7:16 pm

[quote="Colin"][quote="buster00"]People aren't staying away from MAX titles because they're "too raw"... it's because we're getting horseshit like [i]Shang Chi:[/i] [i]Master of Kung Fu[/i].[/quote]

Does that have tits in it?[/quote]

I THINK so...I've tried to forget...
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ONeillSG1 on Sat Dec 31, 2005 7:21 pm

EDITED FOR MY SHEER STUPIDITY!

THESE ARE NOT THE DROIDS YOU'RE LOOKING FOR.

Move along.

Move along.
Last edited by ONeillSG1 on Sat Dec 31, 2005 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby thomasgaffney on Sat Dec 31, 2005 7:26 pm

ONeillSG1 wrote:Can we start a worst of 2006 thread yet?

Because I already got three potentials for it:

Big Momma's House 2
Bloodrayne
Grandma's Boy

And that's just January. Hell, I didn't even get to the rest of the year yet.

Wow, ONeill. You really read some fucked up comic titles.....
find me: twitter and goodreads
find my book: amazon and apple and barnes & noble
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sat Dec 31, 2005 7:43 pm

Yeah why anyone would by a Big Momma's House comic is beyond me. What garbage.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby ONeillSG1 on Sat Dec 31, 2005 9:42 pm

LOL!!!

AIRWOLF STRIKES AGAIN!!!

I thought this was a movie thread.

I feel dumb.

Continue. I will edit.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Postby buster00 on Sat Dec 31, 2005 10:55 pm

[quote="burlivesleftnut"]Yeah why anyone would by a Big Momma's House comic is beyond me. What garbage.[/quote]

I know it's a TV show, not a movie, but have you ever picked up the "CSI: Miami" comic?

It's hilarious -- DAVID CARUSO EVEN OVERACTS ON THE PRINTED PAGE. How is that even POSSIBLE?
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ONeillSG1 on Sat Dec 31, 2005 11:15 pm

Did anyone read the Serenity three parter they did in conjunction with the film?

It was really good.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Postby DennisMM on Sun Jan 01, 2006 1:56 am

What little came out of Planetary. Every time I think Ellis can't surprise me, he does. (Yes, Adam, I like him. Get used to it, my friend.)

Ex Machina isn't genius, but Brian K. Vaughan's characters are interesting and the art by Tony Harris is great. I like that Mitchell Hundred thinks his work as a politician is even more important than flying around and stopping one of the planes that hit the World Trade Center towers.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby Adam Balm on Sun Jan 01, 2006 2:35 am

DennisMM wrote:What little came out of Planetary. Every time I think Ellis can't surprise me, he does. (Yes, Adam, I like him. Get used to it, my friend.)

Honestly, for Ultimate Fantastic Four he lands on my best of the year list too. He's up there with Waid for me as one of the best FF writers ever now. The only thing that gets my goat is these info dumps he does where he thinks he's being all profound, but he's either A) Ripping off Stephen Baxter yet again or B) Either googling for his science or regurgitating a half-understood article from the New Scientist, which itself is a half-understood regurgitation of some paper or research.

When it comes to satire, irreverence, dark humor, and technofetish, he's the man. I'm not going to deny him his props. I'm thinking of picking up Planetary now.

Anyway, my best of the year:

Eightball 23
Ultimates v. 2
New Frontier
Ex Machina (agreed there. And Dennis, to find out where Hundred's powers come from, look up a physicist named Edward Witten. And remember the line: "It's Witten on the brane, or...written on the brain?")
Ultimate Fantastic Four
Optic Nerve
Ultimate Iron Man
Last edited by Adam Balm on Sun Jan 01, 2006 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Sun Jan 01, 2006 2:43 am

Adam Balm wrote:When it comes to satire, irreverence, dark humor, and technofetish, he's the man. I'm not going to deny him his props. I'm thinking of picking up Planetary now.

Go for it. Try to ignore the early tie-ins to the Wildstorm universe. Planetary exists in its own realm now.

Anyway, my best of the year:

Eightball 23
Ultimates v. 2
New Frontier
Ex Machina (agreed there. And Dennis, to find out where Hundred's powers come from, look up a physicist named Edward Witten. And remember the line: "It's Witten on the brane, or...written on the brain?")

My ignorance of Edward Witten haunts me again. Thanks, Adam.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM

Postby DennisMM on Sun Jan 01, 2006 2:54 am

This is a comics thread, man. That scene in the comic was over ten years ago.
DennisMM

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sun Jan 01, 2006 3:03 am

Uuh. Feels like yesterday. Yeah.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sun Jan 01, 2006 8:41 am

Jesus, how many weirdos are we going to get stumbling into the COMICS FORUM to share their favorite tvshow or movie. DOUCHE BAGS!
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby DennisMM on Sun Jan 01, 2006 8:18 pm

Adam, I have no idea where to start reading after my google search for "Edward Witten" in the exact phrase field and "brane" in the top field returns nearly 12,000 pages.

Can you point me to a particular piece?

Edit to add: string theory is not one of my strengths.
DennisMM

Postby Adam Balm on Sun Jan 01, 2006 8:49 pm

Well basically [possible spoilers]

he came up with 'm-brane theory' which is an extension of string theory. So my thinking is that the bomb either came from one of the 10 X 500 other universes that it predicts, or that it's from the future where our future descendents have mastered travel through it.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Sun Jan 01, 2006 8:54 pm

Adam Balm wrote:Well basically [possible spoilers]

he came up with 'm-brane theory' which is an extension of string theory. So my thinking is that the bomb either came from one of the 10 X 500 other universes that it predicts, or that it's from the future where our future descendents have mastered travel through it.

Interesting. I wonder if Vaughn read about this and decided to build an idea around it but leave it in the background.

Or did he encounter this and file it to use it if he ever created something where it would fit inside the larger construct? Not unlike Ellis? But without constantly trumpeting his "discoveries"?

EDIT TO ADD: Before Adam's post reached the board, I started to edit the hell out of my post, as I thought it was difficult to read. If any of Adam's post seems not to connect to anything I changed, it's my fault.
Last edited by DennisMM on Sun Jan 01, 2006 9:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DennisMM

Postby Adam Balm on Sun Jan 01, 2006 8:57 pm

Yeah, it's weird because Vaughn mentioned in an interview how bad he was at math, and after finding the Witten mention I was all 'NOOOOOOOOO!!!'. So he's probably not a physics buff, maybe it just suited the story.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Return to Comic Books