Would you rather...

Graphic novels. Weekly rags. The @$$holes.

which doyou preffer?

Issues
21%
Graphic Novel / TPB
79%

Total votes : 19

Would you rather...

Postby Shane on Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:39 am

So you are buying a new comic, and you've heard good stuff about it, but it's new and you'venever read an issue. Would you rather buy issues, a trade/graphic novel format, or something else?

The reason I ask is because I finished an issue and don't know if I would rather try to hold on and just make it a graphic novel, or push for individual issues.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby Neo Zeed on Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:05 am

I'm old school so I still buy single issues. If a comic really knocks my socks off, I can't be bothered waiting for the trade. For example, I bought Preacher and Y: the last man in single issue form.

I guess the smart move would be to release a graphic novel. The single issue indie guys are getting squeezed out every day. Plus if you're doing stuff in the can anyway, you might as well release it all at once. At least then you could spend time promoting it (going to conventions, contacting websites and press)..instead of drawing up the next issue. You could even spend time drawing promo pics and pin-ups too.

Good question..What does anybody else think?
Neo Zeed
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Adam Balm on Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:16 am

Yeah, I agree. Mostly I wait for the trade, but if every once in a while you get something like the Ultimates where each issue kind of is an event.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Shane on Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:24 am

Yeah and Ifeel the story works better not restricted to only 30pages.

It's intended to be read as a larger piece.

http://shanethayer.com/undying/undying.htm
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:37 am

I'm a the busy man, eh? I stopped a reading the funny books for a the years a 'cos I could not a keep uppa with alla the weekly releases anna the crossovers anna alla the crappa, eh?

With a the TPs, I can a weed out a the good stuff anna read it alla at a the once, no?
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:41 am

I like me some self-contained goodness. Although I may start buying the Ultimates in single issues, because I'm also an impatient bastard.
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby fried samurai on Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:47 am

Cool thread.One thing I learned coming to the Zone is that a lot of people read their comics in TPB form.I used to read single issues but the trades are so convenient and look nice on my book shelf plus the stories flow better.

I was talking to the guy who owns the comic shop by my house and he said he makes most of his $$$ off trades.
fried samurai
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby thomasgaffney on Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:49 am

I've gotten out of comics years ago, but when I did collect, I was an issue guy. I loved going to my local store every Tuesday and picking out the newest issues of my favorite titles. Also, I'm impatient as all hell.....

EDIT - Yes, I'm the single vote for Issues
find me: twitter and goodreads
find my book: amazon and apple and barnes & noble
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby DennisMM on Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:57 am

I buy "pamphs" because it's how I grew up and I'm impatient.

I catch up on "cool" recommended stuff by going back and buying TPs. So I have the first two Planetary hardcovers but have been reading the book since an issue or two before the last material in v.2.

Some things I just decided to let run their course, such as Transmetropolitan, because it was already into the forties when I started TPs. I figured waiting a couple of years for the last of the books was all right.

One less reason to buy issues is that they format stories very tightly these days, specifically for the TPs. You might get a five-issue story, but it's followed by a done-in-one so they can slam six into all the TPs (or eight, with stories of appropriate length, etc.).
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby CthulhuKid on Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:33 pm

When I was an addict I did the single issues (as many as 60 titles a month). Now that I'm all grows up and don't have time to get to shop as often as I'd like, I have to do the trade thing.

Besides, there's so much crap out there you're better off waiting to see if the book is going to be any good in the first place.
CthulhuKid
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Iconoclastica on Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:09 pm

I far prefer the single issues . . . but the thing is, anyone I know (including myself) only buys single issues of established favorites . . . new stuff takes time to achieve any substantial following . . . hence why I'd agree that graphic novel format is far safer, if only for the sake of standing the test of time (especially considering that the majority of comic fans, no matter how loyal to the single issue ideal, are still helpless slaves to the powers of instant gratification).

I am Jack's broken heart
Iconoclastica
DEADLY ZONETTE

Postby DennisMM on Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:07 pm

I don't believe I will come down on the side of TPs until they are mostly original material. If I enjoy a title and the creator wants to tell a story every year or 18 months in OGN form, I'd buy that. But if stories are to published so they stretch out over years, I want to keep up with the installments.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Return to Comic Books