What Director?

Graphic novels. Weekly rags. The @$$holes.

Postby Shane on Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:23 am

|I wouldlove to see big directors put aside egos to do sequals to comic films. It would revitalize and help the franchise. Spielberg should step up after singer leaves superman to keep it going. And Cameron, Iswore him off years ago. The best GL director would be ........................

ME
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby MisterCynic on Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:29 am

Alex DeLarge wrote:Maybe Chan-Wook Park directing a Wolverine Origins movie... that's all i can think of.

that is so perfect its sickening.
MisterCynic
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Shane on Sat Jan 14, 2006 1:25 pm

|It just came to me.

I was watching the dark Crystal

And

Jim Henson's Co should do the Maxx the old image book that had the mtv show.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby Peven on Sat Jan 14, 2006 1:46 pm

Peter Jackson-Swamp Thing
Tarantino- Wolverine
Spielberg- Captain America
Besson-Silver Surfer
Toney Scott- Punisher

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Shane on Sat Jan 14, 2006 2:40 pm

Why Besson on Surfer?

And why Jackson on swamp thing?

I'd almost rather see him go with a heavy hitter character or team.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby Peven on Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:25 pm

i think Jackson's penchant for grossing people out would work well with Swamp Thing. and with his close association with WETA, and remembering the work they did with the Ents, that makes him the best choice as a name director doing Swamp Thing, imo. i didn't read a whole lot of comics as a kid, and mostly read DD, but always got a kick out of Swamp Thing.

as for Besson making Silver Surfer, its just a gut feeling i guess, a hunch, though the 5th Element comes to mind as his past work as a reason, that he would give it a look and feel that would set it apart from other comic movies and he has a real ability to put a lot of heart and soul into his pictures that would meld well with Silver Surfer.

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Shane on Sat Jan 14, 2006 6:32 pm

I love Besson, and would love to see what he would do with it, but I would have put Jackson on Surfer before Besson even came to mind. Now that you mention it, I would get all psyched up over that.

I would have put Besson on Daredevil before anything, and forget MSJ did that affleck movie.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby Gheorghe Zamfir on Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:38 pm

When Ben Edlund started writing for various Whedon shows, it hit me that I'd love to see Whedon direct a movie version of the Sonnefeld produced live action Tick. With superhero movies coming back in vogue, The Tick is more ripe for production than ever, though I imagine there's already a deluge of parodies on the way, but c'mon, I wanna see it, just for Warburton and those antennas (and Batmanuel!).
Gheorghe Zamfir
REAL DRAGON

Postby Peven on Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:54 pm

Shane wrote:I love Besson, and would love to see what he would do with it, but I would have put Jackson on Surfer before Besson even came to mind. Now that you mention it, I would get all psyched up over that.

I would have put Besson on Daredevil before anything, and forget MSJ did that affleck movie.

you know what, i think the director's cut edition of DD is a decent movie, but i also like your idea of Besson doing a DD movie too. he has the right kind of sensibility to do DD justice, imo. nice call.
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Shane on Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:19 pm

John Landis needs to get in the game too. He could have done spidey good I think, but it's a bit late for that, but if Rammi leaves Landis needs to step in.

I also think He could take over the FF and make a big improvement. Because the guy can make a light hearted feel with interesting characters you care about and keep it entertaining.

Maybee Marvel could talk him into doing the Avengers, or the next Hulk, seeing him do Hulk 2 would kick ass.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby Pacino86845 on Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:25 pm

Gheorghe Zamfir wrote:When Ben Edlund started writing for various Whedon shows, it hit me that I'd love to see Whedon direct a movie version of the Sonnefeld produced live action Tick. With superhero movies coming back in vogue, The Tick is more ripe for production than ever, though I imagine there's already a deluge of parodies on the way, but c'mon, I wanna see it, just for Warburton and those antennas (and Batmanuel!).

Man, I loved that show!! I'm so disappointed in its demise!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Shane on Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:17 am

Roman Polanski's Doctor Strange staring Johnny Depp.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby fried samurai on Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:22 am

100 Bullets by David Mamet
fried samurai
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Shane on Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:17 am

I wouldn't mind seeing Peter Jackson take on Green lantern, New Gods or Silver Surfer.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:49 am

Alex Proyas...Iron Man?
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Shane on Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:48 am

|I think Singer should start up one more comic franchise. Maybee Green Lantern would be the one for him.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby Theta on Sat Mar 18, 2006 12:20 pm

Iron Man: James Cameron, obviously. Only a gadget geek could make Iron Man right

Agent X: my personal favorite humor comic from recent years, and I think with a script by Gail Simone, Kurt Wimmer ("Equilibrium", "Ultraviolet") would be perfect. Simone could write the perfect satire of action movies using this character.

And the only GL movie I want to see is either hand or CGI, and directed by Brad Bird.
This comment is in no way meant to insist your opinion is wrong or be considered an edict, solely this poster's opinion. That said, you are still a fool and will kneel before me in supplication.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby Shane on Sat Mar 18, 2006 12:54 pm

I would have loved to see Fantastic Four done by Brad Bird, all CGI. That's what I wish he did instead of Incredibles.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby unikrunk on Sat Mar 18, 2006 1:45 pm

Spielberg directing The Adventures of Tom Strong – great franchise potential. Needs to be done camp, fun, and just like the books.

David Lynch directing Gregory – ‘nuff said

Jared Hess directing Dan Clowes’ 8-Ball – collection of interwoven shorts
He can't' love you back...
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Theta on Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:52 pm

unikrunk wrote:Spielberg directing The Adventures of Tom Strong – great franchise potential. Needs to be done camp, fun, and just like the books

This I'd love to see, although I personally feel that the books play it straight. :)
This comment is in no way meant to insist your opinion is wrong or be considered an edict, solely this poster's opinion. That said, you are still a fool and will kneel before me in supplication.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby Shane on Sun Mar 19, 2006 7:24 pm

unikrunk wrote:Spielberg directing The Adventures of Tom Strong – great franchise potential.

|I feel it would be a great move to get Spielberg to breath lifeinto an existing Franchise. I know he would never pick up a sequel at this point, and possibly feels above that, but I would stand to see him direct Spidey after Rami leaves, or The next Hulk. He could make a decend film, we know that, and it would Bring alot of hype and attention that a sequel would not otherwise recieve.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu May 11, 2006 5:31 am

Edgar Wright...Scott Pilgrim?

Terry Gilliam...Transmetropolitan? Nextwave?

David Lynch...The Sandman?
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Shane on Thu May 11, 2006 8:03 am

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:Edgar Wright...Scott Pilgrim?

Terry Gilliam...Transmetropolitan? Nextwave?

David Lynch...The Sandman?

I couldn't agree more
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby Alex DeLarge on Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:25 am

Sorry for making a Lazarus out of this thread, but I was just thinking about it and wanted to put some of my ideas down somwhere. Most of these are series I'm reading or read recently

Ronin directed by Darren Aronofsky- not very original considering he was lined up to direct this, but I think it would work well

The Walking Dead- hmmm... this is a tough one.. my initial thought was Innaritu because of his penchant for ensembles.. but I dont think his directing style would work well... maybe PTA?? weird choice but who knows...

Bones directed by Peter Jackson

Lone Wolf and Club or The Punisher directed by John Hillcoat and written by Nick Cave

Elephantmen directed by David Fincher or Rian Johnson

The Eternals by Mel Gibson???

Fear Agent by Geuijust to see

Avengers- J.J. Abrams

Preacher- Andrew Dominik

Venture Bros. by Wes Anderson- yeah its a cartoon, by I heard Publick say this is who he would want to direct it and think its perfect.
Alex DeLarge
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby thebostonlocksmith on Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:06 am

I think a paul greengrass superhero movie would be pretty cracking, maybe something like the punisher would have been a good shout...

J.J.Abrams would also make a good director for the genre too so good work alex...
thebostonlocksmith
AIRWOLF

Postby Chilli on Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:50 am

Paul Verhoeven - The Ultimates
Bison: [to his architect] The temple above us was the wonder of the ancient world. Bisonopolis shall be the wonder of my world. But I think the food court should be larger. All the big franchises will want in.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:14 pm

Chilli wrote:Paul Verhoeven - The Ultimates

At a first, I thought a the Chilli, he offa his a rocker, eh? Anna inna some ways, I think a he still is... while I donna think a the Verhoeven is a right for a the material, the project, she would a need a someone with a the... "balls" a to make a the movie as inna your face as a the funny book, no? With a the Hulk cannibalism anna everything...
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:12 pm

The Boys - Matthew Vaughn
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Alex DeLarge on Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:31 pm

Is the boys any good, what about Ennis' work on 2000AD?
Alex DeLarge
MONKEY BUTLER

Re: What Director?

Postby TheButcher on Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:59 pm

Comic Book Resources:
Director Joe Carnahan Releases His "Daredevil" Sizzle Reel
DAREDEVIL NC-17
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:13 pm

Damn, I'd like to see that. However, I am not going to hold my breath Marvel will be calling Joe when they get to a Daredevil movie.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheButcher on Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:03 am

David Slade Discusses ‘Complex’ ‘Daredevil’ Reboot that Never Happened
Hannah Shaw-Williams wrote:This time last year, Twentieth Century Fox’s reboot of Daredevil still appeared to be on track, albeit with a few wobbling wheels, to head into production within a few months. Talk of a reboot began with Frank Miller and Jason Statham expressing an interest, and Hitman director Xavier Gens later tried pitching the project with Sam Worthington pencilled in to play the lead. Fox, who still owned the rights to the character since producing the Ben Affleck-led version in 2003, began turning the gears on a reboot a few years ago in order to ensure that Matt Murdock remained their property.

Fox chose David Slade – director of the gruesome, low-budget thriller Hard Candy and comic book adaptation Thirty Days of Night – to direct the project early on, and Slade was attached for a couple of years before scheduling conflicts forced him to walk away from the Daredevil reboot. The Grey director Joe Carnahan later made a sizzle reel to pitch his own reboot to Fox, but by that point the studio had lost their temporarily renewed interest in using the property. With the various delays and changing of hands, Fox eventually missed their fall 2012 deadline to begin production on the film, and the rights reverted back to Marvel in October.

The Daredevil reboot might happen one day, but Fox’s hand in it – along with Slade’s version of the film – are officially done. The good news is that this leaves Slade free to share details on the Daredevil movie that might have been, and in an interview with Film School Rejects he teases that it would have been everything the comic book fans wanted to see:
“[I saw it as] really complex and exciting. It was complicated [Laughs], and in the most unimaginable Fox way possible … It’s in the 70s, Kingpin is going through New York dealing with the Irish mafia, and there’s Daredevil in the yellow suit. It was all there!”

The yellow suit mentioned was part of Daredevil’s original design when the character debuted in 1964 (and was later revisited for Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale’s Daredevil: Yellow), but it lasted for only a few issues before Matt Murdock began donning the better-known red suit, modelled by Affleck in Mark Steven Johnson’s film. From the way he describes it, Slade’s Daredevil movie sounds like it would have enjoyed a similar tone to Carnahan’s sizzle reel, which had a very retro feel and integrated classic 1970s songs like “Superfly” into its ultra-violent action. Slade also commented on the similarities:
“It’s funny, I remember Joe Carnahan went after it hard when the rights were about to go. He cut together that thing that was great and exciting, but it was kind of sad, in a way, because everything in that trailer we had attempted to do [Laughs]. Every single thing.”

From the way Slade describes it, it seems as though the Daredevil reboot suffered through the same struggles that have been plaguing the (hopefully) forthcoming Deadpool movie: a darker, more complex, and potentially R-rated plot that would have represented a risk for the studio. The script, which was based on Frank Miller’s often-brutal “Born Again” story arc, underwent an attempted rewrite shortly before Slade left the project, and Carnahan’s pitch included a second sizzle reel titled “Daredevil NC-17“, which featured a greater volume of bloody violence.

With Daredevil back in Marvel’s hands and no current plans from the studio to attempt another movie based on the comic books, Slade has accepted that his shot at presenting the yellow-suited “Man Without Fear” in the planned period setting has been and gone:
“[I'm] moving forward, yeah. You have to. If you don’t, you’ll just go crazy.”

Does hearing about Slade’s originals plans make you sorry to see the Daredevil reboot die? Which actor should have played the starring role, and who should have played the Kingpin? Share your thoughts in the comments.

-

Source: Film School Rejects
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Joe Carnahan's "Daredevil"

Postby TheButcher on Tue May 06, 2014 11:15 pm

TheButcher wrote:Comic Book Resources:
Director Joe Carnahan Releases His "Daredevil" Sizzle Reel
DAREDEVIL NC-17

Joe Carnahan Reflects On Planned DAREDEVIL Trilogy And How NEMESIS "F*cks With The Genre"
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:08 am

IGN:
What Makes a Great Superhero Film Director?
Auteur or gun for hire? What do we expect from our directors and have those expectations changed over time.
From the talkback:
Edgar Wright doing Captain Atom movie?
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Previous

Return to Comic Books