Your Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man Thread

Graphic novels. Weekly rags. The @$$holes.

Postby The Ginger Man on Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:58 pm

Bluebottle wrote:in the latest issue of amazing, he discovers some new powers when looking for a lost girl under a collapsed building.

<SPOILERS>

- he can see in the dark
- he can feel vibrations through his webbing
- he puts the girl on his back, and she sticks to him like a spider carrying it's young.

</SPOILERS>

A perfect example of how Marvel doesn't pay attention to their character's histories. The last two aren't even new powers (or shouldn't be). I believe it's been established that Spider-Man can make any part of his body stick, back included. This is b/c his sticking power is based on his pores, not barbs in his fingers like in the film (not bitching about changes in the movie, just pointing out the difference).

And the feel vibration through webbing thing. The man has the heightened sense of a spider. Why is this something he was never able to do before?

So they're making him more like a spider. I get that. But why? People don't call him Spider-Man b/c he doesn't have the powers of a spider! Boo Hiss!
The Ginger Man
Hong Kong Drizzle

Postby DennisMM on Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:07 pm

Adam Balm wrote:It's still uber-XXXTreme edgy! I say get Warren Ellis on board now. This design is perfect for him. They just need to put spidey in a trenchcoat with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth, and stubble somehow poking through the mask!

That'll get the kids on board! And Warren Ellis, a 40 year old balding man, knows what the kids want!

WE's mother died a few days ago. His partner and daughter are visiting USA family, and he didn't want to pull them away, so he's alone for about 2 weeks. I think I'll try to go easy on him for a bit.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:11 pm

I could a be way off onna this a one, but dinna they establish that a the stick-to-a-the-walls power, she was a from a the static electricity, no? Anna I believe it was a the Electro who figured a this out, anna mess with a the Spiderman's ability to do so? I'm a talking like a the 15-20 years ago or a something...
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby DennisMM on Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:11 pm

In the old, old '80s, the Marvel Universe official handbook stated that Pete stuck to walls because his body was interacting with the surfaces he touched on a sub-atomic level. All kinds of paraphysical stuff was in those books, written by Eliot Brown if memory serves. They talked about how characters who got bigger drew mass and returned mass to an unknown dimension.

All that crappy physics, and Warren Ellis wasn't involved! (One last dig)
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM

Postby Adam Balm on Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:12 pm

damn..
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Ginger Man on Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:13 pm

Yeah, god knows what actually makes spidey stick to things. Point being though, he could always stick things on his back. Goddamn Joey Q.

And thoughts and prayers to Ellis. Hopefully he doesn't go over the edge while he's alone.
The Ginger Man
Hong Kong Drizzle

Postby Adam Balm on Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:20 pm

I don't know if I mentioned this Dennis, but I am reading Planetary right now, and mostly digging it.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:23 pm

STAY ON TOPIC!!#
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby The Ginger Man on Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:24 pm

STAY ON TARGET!!!

god i'm such a dork.....
The Ginger Man
Hong Kong Drizzle

Postby The Garbage Man on Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:37 pm

Having not read the arc myself, one thing that's unclear to me is, does Peter still have his original powers?

I've heard it implied that he doesn't, hence the need for a Stark suit.
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby burlivesleftnut on Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:16 pm

The Garbage Man wrote:Having not read the arc myself, one thing that's unclear to me is, does Peter still have his original powers?

I've heard it implied that he doesn't, hence the need for a Stark suit.

He still has his original powers. You guys should avoid posting in the same thread. It's too confusing. Ginger Man/Garbage Man. Stop trying to confuse us.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Adam Balm on Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:24 pm

They should both have the same avatars, and wear matching t-shirts and baseball caps, and ride those two-seater bicycles...
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Seppuku on Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:28 pm

I'm not joking when I say I thought they were the same person. I think that somebody should make a movie about them in which they both play cops trying to crack down on the new wave of crime, it should be called The G-Men.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Adam Balm on Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:29 pm

But then in the end, it turns out that both G-Men and the criminal are the same person. It's like man against nature, like technology vs. horse....
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:31 pm

No one can be two people in the Zone. Not permitted. Unless you're smart enough to get around it, which I am not.
DennisMM

Postby burlivesleftnut on Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:37 pm

What does it get for you guys to stay on topic?

burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby DennisMM on Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:38 pm

Adam, I'm glad you are enjoying Planetary. Apart from Transmetropolitan, I would say it's Ellis's most personal and heartfelt work. You're on the TPs, I take it? The end of The Fourth Man was a not-complete but significant surprise to me.

End of threadjack except to say -- oooo! who's the bear?
Last edited by DennisMM on Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DennisMM

Postby Seppuku on Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:40 pm

Oooh, that was below the belt Dennis, leftnut's gonna be mad.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby DennisMM on Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:56 pm

burl likes bears, in case you didn't know. I, meanwhile, AM a bear.

END OF THREADJACK!
Last edited by DennisMM on Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DennisMM

Postby bluebottle on Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:03 pm

Spidey has all his original powers PLUS new powers that make him more "spider-like".

The whole "Other" arc was about him coming face to face with "The Spider within"... Embracing his gifts.

It's not terrible, really, it just took a long time to get there.

And the reason Tony Stark is making a new suit for him is because he was down to one suit after the destruction of their house, and it's coming apart at the seams... And Stark is making him a "re-birthday present".
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:07 pm

And Peter will be able to get up to Spider-Speed on the ugly machine in mere minutes, no doubt, negating his need for another standard costume -- which Tony could have made in minutes.
DennisMM

Postby bluebottle on Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:19 pm

in the latest new avengers...

<spoilers>

the Avengers come out to the public. There's a touching scene where Captain America calls JJJ in to try and persuade him to accept Spider-man as one of the good guys in exchange for exclusive interviews and whatnot. JJJ and Spidey shake hands, it's beautiful. Then of course JJJ goes back on his word and prints an article about how low the Avengers have sunk.

</spoilers>

it IS possible that Stark thinks that by Spidey having a new life, a new image would be suitable; the colours make him look like Iron-Man, thus more like an Avenger.

<spoilers>

another thing that's interesting, is that all his old wounds have healed, he has an entirely new body. MJ says that his "emotional" wounds have healed as well, and that he can let go of all his baggage. You know, like this is Spidey WITHOUT the weight of the world on his shoulders... Which is great, IMHO, because they're setting him up to really knock him down.

</spoilers>
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:32 pm

I loved that Jameson scene in New Avengers. Then he pwnd them all. I also liked the idea of Jameson slamming the entire group from now on. Very clever, Mr. Bendis. Perhaps too clever!
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby The Garbage Man on Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:46 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:He still has his original powers. You guys should avoid posting in the same thread. It's too confusing. Ginger Man/Garbage Man. Stop trying to confuse us.

Adam Balm wrote:They should both have the same avatars, and wear matching t-shirts and baseball caps, and ride those two-seater bicycles...

seppukudkurosawa wrote:I'm not joking when I say I thought they were the same person. I think that somebody should make a movie about them in which they both play cops trying to crack down on the new wave of crime, it should be called The G-Men.

Adam Balm wrote:But then in the end, it turns out that both G-Men and the criminal are the same person. It's like man against nature, like technology vs. horse....

From now on I'm going to follow Ginger around the Zone, posting immediately after he does but saying the exact opposite.

(Sorry for the re-threadjack).
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby reneritchie on Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:18 pm

The spider gods idea is interesting, although I liked the old science angle and the supernatural avatar concept has been done often enough in other books.

Likewise, his new "stingers", as Spidey himself is given to say in the last chapter, are very Wolverine...
reneritchie
GLIB

Postby burlivesleftnut on Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:41 pm

reneritchie wrote:The spider gods idea is interesting, although I liked the old science angle and the supernatural avatar concept has been done often enough in other books.

Likewise, his new "stingers", as Spidey himself is given to say in the last chapter, are very Wolverine...

I like that they are running all these tests on Peter and no one has said, "wtf what is that big pointy thing in your forearm lol?"

I really don't mind the idea of Peter evolving, but this is so ALF in the way it was handled. It's like they don't just want to spell out what his new powers are. Perhaps they will drag it on for months.

Peter: "Wow, I just ate a fucking sun." --Spider-Man #550.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Iconoclastica on Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:54 pm

This just in:

Comicscontinuum.com wrote:Marvel Comics announced that Spider-Man's new costume, designed by Tony Stark, will debut in Amazing Spider-Man #529, which also lays the groundwork for Marvel's Civil War.

"Amazing Spider-Man #529 begins a three-issue arc that will justifiably be cover-blurbed as part of the 'Road to Civil War,' as Tony Stark and his new protégé Peter Parker journey to Washington to debate superhuman legislation in the wake of ŒDecimation,'" said executive editor Tom Brevoort. "And for readers who aren't as into parliamentary procedure, there'll also be a smackdown between Spidey in his spiffy new costume and a villain from Iron Man's past!"

According to Marvel, the costume is actually armor, equipped with several pieces of advanced weaponry, including pincer claws and other surprises.

oy vey

I am Jack's broken heart
Iconoclastica
DEADLY ZONETTE

Postby Bob Samonkey on Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:01 pm

Iconoclastica wrote:Image

What is that coming out of his bottom? Spidey but claw? Man that is a bad placement of those things.
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Adam Balm on Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:52 am

Worst case of tapeworm I've ever seen...
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chairman Kaga on Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:39 am

Adam Balm wrote:Worst case of tapeworm I've ever seen...

It was on a night just like this.....
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Coheed_and_Cambria on Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:42 am

i just hope this costume ends b4 we know it...
Coheed_and_Cambria
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Leckomaniac on Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:24 am

This costume won't last...I happen to be a fan of JMS...moreso for the FF than Amazing Spider-Man, so I have faith that this won't last long. I am kind of getting sick of the whole Spider-Man/Avengers cross over stuff...which is why I enjoy Ultimate Spider-Man. I like stand alone Spider-Man issues the best. But back on topic, this costume won't last at all. It will be gotten rid of a few story arc's from now.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Colin on Sun Feb 05, 2006 4:04 am

It'll be gone by or during Civil War.
Colin
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Adam Balm on Sun Feb 05, 2006 4:28 am

Definitely gone by the time Spidey 3 rolls its way into theatres.

EDIT: Holy shit Colin, your post count is exactly 314 right now....
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Colin on Sun Feb 05, 2006 4:41 am

...what?
Colin
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby The Garbage Man on Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:43 am

The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:01 am

Adam Balm wrote:Definitely gone by the time Spidey 3 rolls its way into theatres.

EDIT: Holy shit Colin, your post count is exactly 314 right now....

burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby MasterWhedon on Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:02 pm

Okay, major bumpage going on here, and I figured this news was worthy. I found the following image posted over at Silver Bullett Comics and thought it'd be something you all would like to see.

Be warned: MAJOR, MAJOR, MAJOR SPOILERS THAT WILL DRASTICALLY CHANGE THE LIFE OF SPIDER-MAN!!

If you want to see what it is, click HERE.

Exciting, no?

Please remember SPOILER warnings and tiny text in discussion!!
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Bob Samonkey on Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:09 pm

Who does it?
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Chairman Kaga on Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:17 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:Okay, major bumpage going on here, and I figured this news was worthy. I found the following image posted over at Silver Bullett Comics and thought it'd be something you all would like to see.

Be warned: MAJOR, MAJOR, MAJOR SPOILERS THAT WILL DRASTICALLY CHANGE THE LIFE OF SPIDER-MAN!!

If you want to see what it is, click HERE.

Exciting, no?

Please remember SPOILER warnings and tiny text in discussion!!

Not all that exciting to me.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MasterWhedon on Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:25 pm

SPOILERS!!

Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:Who does it?

Don't know. My money's on one of these guys.

SPECULATION!!

Methinks she's going to be killed by one of those goons during Civil War, and Peter's going to sever his ties with Tony. He's going to say registration just CAN'T work with the villains out there. And thus, we don't see Spider-Man on the cover for issue #1 of Mighty Avengers. Methinks he'll be on Cap's roster over in New Avengers.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby DennisMM on Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:29 pm

Not a big fan of Spidey anyway, so this doesn't affect me at all. However:

I don't see how it can be considered a shock either to the readers or the book's cast. It's one obvious problem with being "out," no matter who your friends are. Supers have had secret identities since the '40s specifically to protect their loved ones from danger. It's not as if May and M.J. were followed by Stark security every time they left the building. (Were they?)

This lets Marvel reset Parker the way they wanted to with the clone. After a period of mourning, Peter can be a saddened but single man -- much closer to the original concept and supposedly an easier character with whom the youngish male reader can identify.
DennisMM

Postby MasterWhedon on Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:34 pm

DennisMM wrote:Not a big fan of Spidey anyway, so this doesn't affect me at all. However:

I don't see how it can be considered a shock either to the readers or the book's cast. It's one obvious problem with being "out," no matter who your friends are. Supers have had secret identities since the '40s specifically to protect their loved ones from danger. It's not as if May and M.J. were followed by Stark security every time they left the building. (Were they?)

This lets Marvel reset Parker the way they wanted to with the clone. After a period of mourning, Peter can be a saddened but single man -- much closer to the original concept and supposedly an easier character with whom the youngish male reader can identify.

Very true. It's the "genie in the bottle" thing Quesada talks about all the time, finding a way to take it back to the original concept.

And it can work nicely to reinforce his mission, same as the deaths of Uncle Ben and Gwen Stacy did.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:19 pm

Everyone knew that this was coming. It has been discussed WAY too much over the past year...it had to be on its way.

Now...Joe Q. has been pimping his Spidey mini-series that he and JMS are doing...perhaps it deals with the aftermath of this situation??!?!?!?!
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby buster00 on Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:06 pm

Maybe Spidey goes all psycho because of it. Grim n' Gritty. Like The Punisher, only with wittier one-liners when he bumps someone off.

And spider powers.

And web-shooters that spray M-16 rounds.

Until he runs out of M-16 fluid.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Sat Sep 02, 2006 2:05 am

A new Joe Friday just got posted over at newsarama and among other interesting tid bits...Joe Q. talked about that leaked image of Spidey hugging MJ's grave..EDIT: A third correction...it isn't from the Joe Q./JMS project...it isn't from an upcoming issue of Amazing Spider-Man...but it is in fact from the new Spidey mini-series REIGN. Click the link below to read the interview.

NEW JOE FRIDAY!
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby r8hitman on Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:18 pm

*Not Work Safe*

Spiderman in Oz

http://youtube.com/watch?v=akhcUfT5KUg
r8hitman
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby MasterWhedon on Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:48 pm

Anyone else check out Part 3 of One More Day? They kinda lay out EXACTLY how they're going to pull off the retcon of all retcons.

ONE MORE DAY SPOILERS

Mephisto taking their marriage for the life of Aunt May works for me, or at least well enough for me to buy the new status quo. I know Joe Q has had it in for their marriage for a while (which made it all the more deliciously evil when the Joe Q-drawn Mephisto was all, "I'M TAKING YOUR MARRIAGE!! MWAHAHAHAHA!!"), and I agree with him to a certain extent that Spider-Man as a grown-up is a little alienating to young kids who can't relate to that. But, at the same time, I think that mentality leads to harmful character stagnation where nothing ever changes, decade after decade.

Anyway, it looks like the marriage is over, that Peter and MJ will never remember, and that in her "other," new life, MJ will become the superhero Jackpot. She and Peter will probably start dating as superheroes--which is a nice way to pull his personal and professional worlds together--and in ten years we'll end up with them married again.

Here's the kicker of all kickers: this might just actually get me to buy Spider-Man again. I'm so that guy... :roll:
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby bluebottle on Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:43 pm

They're going to bring back Gwen's clone. She survived the clone wars and she's out there somewhere.

They've been really laying on the "gwen was peter's TRUE love" stuff pretty thick the last few years... and i think there's nothing more basic than a love triangle.
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MasterWhedon on Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:51 pm

Wait, there was a GWEN CLONE?! A GWLONE?! :shock:

Man, those clone stories sucked... :roll:
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

PreviousNext

Return to Comic Books