Your Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man Thread

Graphic novels. Weekly rags. The @$$holes.

Postby bluebottle on Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:58 pm

Gwen was actually the first clone way back in the day... Part of the cloning experiment that created Ben Reilly... That story was good. And Reilly's return was interesting, if only for the controversy (and the badass Scarlett Spider suit) it just got really bad...

Really, really bad.

But I say, "bring it on!"

I've always preferred Gwen.

I didn't mind the Gwen's children with Osbourne story that much, that's how much I like the character (although they should have been Peter's kids - as JMS intended - stupid old douche that he is ;))
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:49 pm

You know, I really like the storyline for One More Day, but it is so tainted with Quesada's constant blabbering about how MJ and Pete shouldn't be married that it's kind of ruined for me. Plus, Quesada's art just doesn't do it for me. I am looking forward to post JMS Spidey, though. Actually I guess I am really looking forward to the period after this 3 issue a month thing ends... I just hope Slott survives that long. And I hope Slott stays away from maudlin stories like some of the boring shit he did in The Thing and She-Hulk.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Leckomaniac on Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:26 am

Figured I would ressurect this thread and not the OMD thread...and bring the focus to BND Spidey.

We are a few months in now...having seen Slott, Guggenheim, and now Bob Gale's first issue.

This is by far the worst issue of BND. FREAK feels like a real throwback to late 80s early 90s villains...and including Doc Conners did make me smile...but this issue just didn't do it for me. And the Jimenz's art kind of irked me.

I'd give this recent issue a 2.5/5

Anyone else feel like chiming in?
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby buster00 on Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:32 am

Because dead horses taste better when they're tenderized.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:43 am

Leckomaniac wrote:Figured I would ressurect this thread and not the OMD thread...and bring the focus to BND Spidey.

We are a few months in now...having seen Slott, Guggenheim, and now Bob Gale's first issue.

This is by far the worst issue of BND. FREAK feels like a real throwback to late 80s early 90s villains...and including Doc Conners did make me smile...but this issue just didn't do it for me. And the Jimenz's art kind of irked me.

I'd give this recent issue a 2.5/5

Anyone else feel like chiming in?

One thing I like about this new format is that even if something really stunks, it won't be around for long. Freak does seem ALF, but maybe something really cool will happen in the next two issues. And if not, then we move onto something else.

I at least want to give credit to Marvel for trying to come up with some new rogues for Spider-Man. Menace was interesting... coming across like a amateur Goblin wannabe. Like I said, maybe something cool will happen with Freak, the fucking evil Dalmation.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Leckomaniac on Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:29 pm

I also like that Marvel is focusing on creating new rogues for Spidey. Even if some of them fall flat.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:57 pm

Holy cow!

Zeb Wells' first issue is outstanding! By far, my favorite issue by the new creative team. Dan Slott and Zeb Wells should be the main writers on the title with Guggenheim and a rotating member filling in every two arcs or so.

EDIT: And the art was EQUALLY as fantastic. No one was more surprised by that than me.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MasterWhedon on Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:20 pm

Yeah, I really, really dug this issue. Thought the note in the back about the iffy continuity timeline was pretty funny too.

I've loved Chris Bachalo since Generation X, and though his action direction and paneling can get occasionally a little confusing, I LOVE the man's style when he's on. His super-stylized, cartoony nature is a natuarl fit for Spider-Man, IMO.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Leckomaniac on Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:43 am

MasterWhedon wrote:Yeah, I really, really dug this issue. Thought the note in the back about the iffy continuity timeline was pretty funny too.

I've loved Chris Bachalo since Generation X, and though his action direction and paneling can get occasionally a little confusing, I LOVE the man's style when he's on. His super-stylized, cartoony nature is a natuarl fit for Spider-Man, IMO.

Just a little tidbit...

Glad to see you haunting the Comic book forum as of late, MW. It does my heart good.

Back to Spidey, I was so shocked at how much I enjoyed this. I actually broke my embargo against this title and bought this issue. My first Spidey purchase post-OMD. I held out three months. Pretty good, if you ask me.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby bluebottle on Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:53 am

the zeb wells/chris bachallo arc was easily the best since they launched BND.

i still hate what they've done to spidey, but that was a great little run.
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Spifftacular SquirrelGirl on Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:07 am

Do you think the further they get into just doing Spider-Man books that doesn't seem like it has to reference the whole BND stuff will only make it better?

Only mentioning it because a lot of people seem to really dig the whole Wells/Bachallo arc a lot.
Spifftacular SquirrelGirl
AIRWOLF

Postby bluebottle on Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:02 pm

it's hard to know... this arc really felt like a stand-alone... there wasn't much to tie it into the overall story... very little to do with spider-man being wanted for murder, very little to do with the sale of the daily bugle... and not a lot of mention of the major continuity changes.

i don't know if they can do every story like that...

i thought the jackpot storyline was garbage...

(although, maybe i just think that because i wish it had been a spidey/black cat story)
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:06 pm

I actually liked the Jackpot storyline... especially the mysterious ending. I mean what's not to love about a female superhero zipping through New York after an OBVIOUS Goblin-inspired villain and claiming, "he's my arch-nemesis."
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby MasterWhedon on Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:35 pm

ANTI-VENOM?!!

Looks like he's the new Big Bad, and the storyline that introduces him (by Dan Slott and John Romita, Jr.) is supposed to get into the new Peter/MJ status quo. Sounds like fun.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Captain Craig on Thu May 08, 2008 3:02 pm

Anti-Venom is just another ploy, like the Wolverine gimmick, to lure BND haters back to the book.
Since its release the average issues of BND has steadily declined.
It averaged 107K for the first 3 issues
Then it fell to 94K after 6 issues.
March #s show it falling to 84K.
I can't wait to see if April figures have it dipping down into a 70K type average.

BND sucks! It'll take lost for Joey Q to admit it so don't anybody cave and buy this Anti-Venom crap in a few months. If your still buying it...WHY? Bittorrent is your friend. Don't buy till BND is retconned out.
Captain Craig
GLIB

Postby bluebottle on Thu May 08, 2008 3:05 pm

Captain Craig wrote:If your still buying it...WHY?

Because I'll need the paper to line the walls of my house when the apocalypse hits...

That's why I held on to all my clone wars off-shoots!
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Amazing Spider-Man # 585 CHARACTER ASSASSINATION

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:48 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Amazing Spider-Man #585 spoilers

Postby TheButcher on Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:09 pm

From Newsarama: The Weekly Webbing With...Tom Brevoort
Matt Brady wrote:It’s another week, and another installment of The weekly Webbing with Wacker is upon us.

Or rather, upon Tom Brevoort...

We’ll let Amazing Spider-Man editor Steve Wacker explain...

Well another week another bunch of answers for ya. This time I roped in my boss Tom Brevoort, superstar Executive Editor of books like Civil War and Secret Invasion and of course, Amazing Spider-Man.

Tom’s probably best known for his work last century as a writer on seminal classics like Fantastic Force and Funeral for an Octopus.

He’s a bearded monstrosity of man and I think you’re gonna love him. The only way this interview would be better is if it were filmed in DiDio’s office next to a scene-stealing V for Vendetta mask!

Take her a way, Brev.

-Steve

PS: Before I go...Final Crisis #7 was great. You guys are crazy!
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

THE SPIDER-MAN ROUND TABLE

Postby TheButcher on Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:28 am

From Wizard: THE SPIDER-MAN ROUND TABLE
Kevin Mahadeo wrote:We snare creators Marc Guggenheim, Joe Kelly, Dan Slott, Mark Waid and the Marvel editorial Webheads for an 'Amazing' Q&A covering 2009's Spider-plans
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

NYCC '09 - Weekly Webbing with Wacker

Postby TheButcher on Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:43 pm

Amazing Spider-Man editor Steve Wacker sits down with Newsarama to talk about the coming year of Spider-Man, Sinister Six, Doc Ock and more

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/020908-Wacker-Spider.html
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

NYCC '09 - Mondo Marvel/70th Anniversary Panel

Postby TheButcher on Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:48 pm

Moving to Spider-Man, "Spidey brain trust" member Joe Kelly joined the panel and talked about "American Son," beginning in Amazing Spider-Man #595. It's a 5-issue arc written by Kelly and drawn by Phil Jimenez. "I'm very excited about this arc," Kelly said, adding that it's a "Dark Reign" crossover where the "father/son dynamic really explodes" between Harry and Norman Osborn.

"It's everything that I look forward to in a Spider-Man comic," said Jimenez. "It's one of the most fun things I've had to draw, literally, in years."

Quesada asked Wacker to talk about Amazing Spider-Man #600 in July, which will be the return of Dr. Octopus. "You're going to see all these classic Spidey villains come back. Several of those villains." Wacker said it's leading into a big story in 2010 called "The Sinister 666."

Amazing Spider-Man: The Short Halloween, drawn by Kevin Maguire, was announced, as were its two writers, who made a "surprise" appearance at the panel: Saturday Night Live cast members Seth Meyers (also its head writer) and Bill Hader. Meyers explained that Marvel approached them during the writers' strike.

Meyers credited Hader for coming up with the title, adding "This [a comic book convention] is the only place where that would get a laugh."

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/090208-nycc09-mondo-marvel.html
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Your Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man Thread

Postby TheButcher on Sat May 16, 2009 2:47 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:42 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

"Jazzy" John Romita returns

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:17 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Amazing Spider-Man #600

Postby TheButcher on Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:07 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Spider-Man: Enter the Gauntlet

Postby TheButcher on Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:33 pm

From IGN:
Spider-Man's Classic Villains Return
Richard George and Jesse Schedeen wrote:"The Gauntlet" pits the wall-crawler against his most famous rogues. Is a Sinister Six reunion in the works?

June 20, 2009 - At both Heroes Con and Wizard World Philly this weekend, Marvel is peeling back the curtain and offering glimpses of upcoming Amazing Spider-Man storylines. Undoubtedly the biggest Spidey-related reveal this weekend was the announcement of The Gauntlet. This is not one storyline, but rather a unified story direction that will guide every arc of the series for many months forward. A variety of classic Spider-Man villains are poised to return and make life miserable for Peter Parker. Think of it like Dark Reign for the Spider-Man universe.

The Gauntlet officially kicks off in November with Amazing Spider-Man #611. Written by Mark Waid and drawn by Paul Azaceta, this storyline brings Electro back to prominence. This arc will be followed by another written by Marc Guggenheim. These two arc are only the beginning of a long-term change for Spidey.

We talked to both Waid and Guggenheim, as well as editor Steve Wacker, for more details on The Gauntlet. Though this new direction is still many months off, we're already eager to see just how hard the Brain Trust can make life for poor Peter Parker.

From IGN:
Returning classic villains make Spidey's life a living hell.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Your Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man Thread

Postby TheButcher on Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:40 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:27 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:30 pm

From CBR:
C2E2: Cup O' Joe
Quesada then confirmed that "O.M.I.T." stands for "One Moment In Time" which will be a sequel to "One More Day." "This is a story I promised Marvel readers I'd get to, and we're finally getting to it," he said. "It answers all the questions left over from 'One More Day.'" The E-i-C and Brevoort went on to express confidence that they'd answered every single question out there with the run of issues in "Amazing Spider-Man" that retell the events of Peter Parker and Mary Jane's wedding day by incorporating classic pages from "The Wedding!" annual of the '80s with new art by Paolo Rivera.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:43 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Todd McFarlane's Spider-Man: Torment

Postby TheButcher on Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:00 pm

From Comics Bulletin:
Tormented by Spider-Man: Torment
Alex Rodrik wrote:In the spirit of yesterday's True Believer Tuesday, today we'll be looking at Todd McFarlane's Spider-Man: Torment. I've had this trade on my bookshelf for longer than I can remember and have to admit that until recently I'd actually never gotten around to reading it. After flipping through it for years and being taken by the art, my squirrelly ignorance blinded me into the hopes that the story would be just as amazing. Sadly... it was not.

I Present to You, the Shortest Synopsis Ever!!

Spider-Man battles the Lizard who's being controlled by Calypso. (Did I mention that this happens for 5 whole issues? ...just throwin' that out there...)
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:15 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Spider-Man: Ends of the Earth

Postby TheButcher on Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:21 am

From CBR:
Slott Takes Spidey to the "Ends of the Earth"
Steve Sunu wrote:Yesterday, Marvel pulled back the curtain on Marjorie Liu and Mike Perkins taking over "Astonishing X-Men" with Issue #48. Today, the House of Ideas revealed details on a key "Amazing Spider-Man" 50th Anniversary story arc in a conference call with writer Dan Slott. CBR News was on hand to bring the details on Slott's brainchild, "Ends of the Earth."

Moderator and Junior Sales Administrator James Viscardi kicked things off by speaking on the status and lead-up to Slott's story. "Really what this is … is the road to Spidey 700 which is coming down the line," said Viscardi. The storyarc starts in March with Issue #682 for a six issue story where the first two and the last two issues will have Stefano Caselli on art.

Slott kicked off the call by recapping the events leading up to Doc Ock's life clock ticking down all the way back when he first showed up in Issue 600 and teasing the villain's big bid for control of the entire world. "He's got one shot for one master plan. He's going for the whole thing. He's going for the world. … This is Otto Octavius's big grab for the greatest master plan of all time." Slott further said that the story would rival ("Rivals? Ha! Ha, I say!" said Slott) the scope of Spider-Island and this would be "Otto Octavius Earth," which would see Spider-Man operating globally to stop Doc Ock.

"We will see Spidey supporting cast and characters," he said. "This whole giant, epic story is taking place inside of Amazing Spider-Man." The event will be self-contained within the book and all readers will have to do is pick up "Amazing Spider-Man" to get the whole story.

As for Dr. Octopus himself, the villain has shown up in a number of other titles, which Slott said has been building to the story he has planned. "We've seen Doc Ock and the Sinister Six slowly building and percolating this master plan," he said. "On the way it's stretched out into the Marvel Universe proper. We've seen Doc Ock totally smack down Iron Man. He totally wiped the floor with Hank Pym's team in 'Avengers Academy.' Over in 'Spider-Man' during an FF team up, Doc Ock pwned Reed Richards! He took over the Baxter Building and stole all kinds of stuff. Doc Ock's been taking out the biggest brains on his stomp to global domination."

On December 21, there will be a Sinister Six issue, which will be only the Sinister Six with no Spider-Man, where Doc Ock will take on the Marvel U's biggest brains, according to Slott.

The writer also praised Caselli's work on the bookend issues of "Ends of the Earth." "When people see the art, they're going to freak," the writer said.

Slott also spoke on the lineup of the Sinister Six -- and that it might change by the end of the story. "The Sinister Six you start out with in 'Ends of the Earth' will not be the Sinister Six you're left with by the end," Slott said. Chameleon, Rhino, Mysterio, Electro and the Sandman will all start off as being part of Doctor Octopus' Sinister Six and Slott will be drawing quite a bit from the developments in "The Gauntlet" storyline, and Sandman will get some particular attention in between Caselli's bookend issues. "The one thing you'll see in the Sandman issues, I don't think we've ever seen the Sandman operate on this level before."

Additionally, Spidey will get some cool new gadgets for his "Ends of the Earth" adventure. "We're going to see some pretty cool new Spider-tech," he said. "Spidey has known the Sinister Six are a-coming. … Spider-Man has had all this time to prep and bring specific tech to all the members of the Sinister Six. ... Spider-Man has designed a new suit and this is a suit specifically designed to go to war with the Sinister Six."

As for Spidey himself, Slott said that the events of the past year won't really be changing the hero, but that a future issue would explore how it has affected him. "The world's at stake. All you need is one shake of that Etch-a-Sketch and it means nothing," he said. "Is he cocky? I think we're going to see some of that in upcoming issues of 'Spider-Man.'"

The writer was cagey about Peter's destiny as of the end of "Spider-Island" and Madame Web's huge prophecy. "Something is going to be happening and something is happening this year." Spidey's vow of "No one dies" will also be tested during this arc. "So far, Spider-Man has kept that up."

Iron Man and the Avengers will also play a role in "Ends of the Earth," but right now it is not that likely that other peripheral Spider-Man characters like Black Cat and Venom probably will not, despite the teaser image in last year's Free Comic Book Day issue.

"I've never done a Spider-Man story on this scope before," Slott said. "I think a lot of the stuff I do is on character, but this one I think the focus is a lot more on action and adventure. It's so big and the fallout from it is going to be huge. It's going to be neat at the end of the day when this is over where all the pieces are on the table. They're going to be in a lot of interesting spots."

In terms of tie-ins to the "Amazing Spider-Man" movie, there will be an "epic Spidey/Lizard" battle, but there will won't be any resurrection of Gwen Stacy.

As for the self-contained nature of the story, Slott commented on some previous early events like the Kree-Skrull War. "That's a part of Marvel history and why we're so awesome."

Slott again referenced "The Gauntlet" and how Spider-Man's villains have gone from being slightly goofy to really "credible threats." "Oh definitely, Doc Ock in this story, there is nothing goofball about it," he said. "Anyone who's read the Rhino stories recently, wow, what a character. Where these characters are going, I would love to-- there's only so much I can tip my hat about."

The Sinister Six issue coming out on December 21, Slott described as "Fried butter on a sick. You'll get so many calories from reading this. I can't wait until people read that issue!"

Peter's now ex-squeeze, Carlie Cooper, will change from the love interest to police contact moving toward the future. "If Spider-Man's Batman, then Carlie is Jim Gordon," said Slott. "But she's his ex." Carlie will be Spidey's cop friend in the spirit of Captain Jean deWolfe, with their added uncomfortable romantic past. "Keep an eye on Mary Jane, though. There are some interesting developments with her in 'Ends of the Earth.'"

"Ends of the Earth" is something that has been building since "Brand New Day" began, according to Slott, and was influenced by an edict from Marvel editors Steve Wacker and Tom Brevoort. "Steve Wacker and Tom Brevoort decided that nobody got to use the main Spider-Man villains for a year. When we bring them back, we'll bring them back big. … Six months in, when we did 'New Ways to Die,' we opened up the toy chest. … I was the lucky guy who got Doc Ock and I had these evil machinations of what I wanted to do with Doc Ock."

Slott also talked about his favorite Doc Ock stories, including the Death of Captain Stacy, which was the first comic that made him cry. "That's one of my most pivotal stories. There was another one where Spider-Man had to fight Doc Ock with the flu. … There's a lot of stuff. The biggest one that's influenced me [for 'Ends of the Earth'] has got to be the 'Master Planner' storyarc, which is a lot of people's favorites."

Before "Ends of the Earth" takes place, Slott still has stories to tell, including a tale that comes right after the "Amazing Spider-Man" Point One issue. "We have an epic story, a two-parter, where Spidey is going into space." While Spidey will be joining forces with another character during the arc, the team-up is being kept hush-hush. The story takes place on the Apogee One, the Horizon Labs space station that Dr. Octopus previously infiltrated with Octobots. "Doc Ock has smuggled Octobots onto the space station because he needs Octobots on the space station, so we will see the payoff for that."

With a quick recap of the release details and a tease to look out for Gabrielle Dell'Otto's villain variant covers in the beginning of 2012, the call wrapped, leaving fans to look forward to a truly epic year for the web-slinger.

Stay tuned to CBR for more news on Dan Slott's "Ends of the Earth" storyarc and Spider-Man's 50th Anniversary
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Dan Slott's "Spider-Man"

Postby TheButcher on Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:57 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Your Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Men Thread

Postby TheButcher on Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:59 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Amazing Spider-Man #700

Postby TheButcher on Mon May 21, 2012 7:06 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby minstrel on Mon May 21, 2012 9:22 pm

Hmm. Generally, seismic events wreck stuff and cause tons and tons of damage. I hope that isn't what this guy means.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby TheButcher on Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:35 am

From BC:
Fox News Reveals Spider-Man’s New Sidekick – Alpha
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:56 am

The secret hero of Spider-Man - Elusive artist Steve Ditko never got full credit for co-creating Spider-Man – NYPOST.com
REED TUCKER wrote:Steve Ditko was born in Johnstown, Pa. He moved to New York in 1950 and began drawing comics, mostly horror and sci-fi. It wasn’t until he hooked up with Marvel Comics and Lee in 1955, however, that he took a step toward becoming a legend.

The creation of Spider-Man is muddied by the years, conflicting points of view and the fact that no one involved paid much attention at the time because they never thought the adventures of a teenager who gains the powers of an arachnid would amount to anything.

What we do know: In 1962, Lee, the co-creator of the Fantastic Four and Iron Man, had an idea for a new hero and passed a synopsis on to artist Jack Kirby. The story involved a teen who gained spider powers via a magic ring. Lee was underwhelmed by Kirby’s overly heroic take and went to Ditko.

Not only did Ditko design the iconic costume, he may have contributed many of the elements that have made Spidey so popular over the decades. Unlike the godlike other heroes of the time — Superman, for example — Spider-Man and his alter ego, Peter Parker, had very human, relatable problems.

“Ditko took what was a very good superhero comic strip and really turned it into something revolutionary,” Bell says.

“It was Ditko who wanted to ground the strip in reality, to see what it was like to be a hero through the eyes of a teenager and to struggle.”

The direction put Ditko at odds with Lee, but because the writer-editor was so busy running Marvel, he increasingly turned over more story control to Ditko. By about issue No. 10, the artist was also plotting the stories, with Lee just filling in dialogue after the pages were drawn. By No. 25, the two were no longer speaking. Bucking the comic-book formula of the day, Ditko focused less on action scenes involving Spider-Man and more on the troubled life of Parker.

“The Amazing Spider-Man” No. 18 featured almost no costumed Spidey. In a letter column run in other Marvel books at the time, Lee took a jab at Ditko, writing, “A lot of readers are sure to hate [No. 18], so if you want to know what all the criticism is about, be sure to buy a copy.”

Spider-Man ultimately became a giant hit, but with issue No. 38, Ditko quit, reportedly walking away with no notice. Bell says the artist was angry with Marvel Comics for failing to deliver on promised royalties.

To this day, Ditko has probably made very little off his billion-dollar co-creation. He has no ownership of the character and was paid a modest per-page rate at the time. He does collect royalties each time the comics are reprinted, but he says he has not earned anything off the films, despite his name appearing in the credits.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:04 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:24 am

minstrel wrote:

Hmm. Generally, seismic events wreck stuff and cause tons and tons of damage. I hope that isn't what this guy means.

From Spider-Man Crawl Space:
Amazing Spider-Man #700…FINAL ISSUE?!?!?!

From BC:
Dan Slott Says Retailers Haven’t Ordered Enough Amazing Spider-Man #698

Morbius The Living Vampire #1 For January From Marvel… And More
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:35 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:57 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: The Amazing Spider-Man Year One

Postby TheButcher on Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:40 pm

Slott And Perez Revisit Spider-Man’s Early Years In ‘The Amazing Spider-Man Year One’
Joseph Hughes wrote:Since the release of Frank Miller and David Mazzuchelli’s seminal Batman: Year One, DC has used a similar model and title with several of its heroes, often to great acclaim. Now Marvel has decided to do the same with its flagship character. To coincide with the return of Peter Parker, Marvel has announced The Amazing Spider-Man Year One: Learning To Crawl, a five issue miniseries from Dan Slott and Ramón Pérez that looks back at the wall crawler’s earliest adventures.

Talking to the AP, Slott said the story will pay homage to the work of Stan Lee and Steve Ditko, while also further examining Spider-Man’s development in those early years, from becoming a hero to dealing with the death of Uncle Ben. “When you’re looking at things in those issues, you’re going: ‘Wait a minute! How did this happen?”, says Slott. “How did he get this? Where did this come from? Why didn’t Aunt May ever wonder about that?’”

The story will follow Marvel’s “point one” publishing style, starting with Amazing Spider-Man #1.1 and concluding with #1.5, with each issue featuring a painted cover by Alex Ross. Although the story will add to those early years, Slott indicates it won’t fundamentally change anything: “You start looking at it closer and closer and you go, ‘There’s a story here that we’re not seeing. A very pivotal and crucial story that lovingly respects everything that went on but tells you more, so much more about Spider-Man and so much more about Peter Parker.”

One addition will be a never before seen antagonist, another teenage who’s inspired by the appearance of Spider-Man, a “Ditko-esque” character who Slott did not name, describing their eventual fight as “a troubled teen hero fighting a troubled teen villain!”

The Amazing Spider-Man Year One: Learning To Crawl begins May 7.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Spiderman And His Amazing Friends

Postby TheButcher on Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:43 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Adi Granov's Spider-Man Thread

Postby TheButcher on Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:04 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Your Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Men Thread

Postby TheButcher on Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:29 pm