Page 1 of 5

Your Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man Thread

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:42 pm
by Neo Zeed

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:44 pm
by TonyWilson
That....







.... is fucking weak.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:46 pm
by Adam Balm
:shock:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:54 pm
by Bob Samonkey
Adam Balm wrote::shock:


I SECOND THAT

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:58 pm
by Adam Balm
Image

Image

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:04 pm
by ONeillSG1
Why?

Why is this the necessary?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:06 pm
by The Garbage Man
From Marvel.com:

Joe Quesada wrote:It's inspired by a sketch that Chris Bachalo did that showed a new Spidey costume with <CLASSIFIED>. I thought that was brilliant, especially since it echoed one of Spidey's greatest villains, and I took the idea and imagined it as though seeing it through the eyes of Tony Stark.


Anyone want to take a guess at the <CLASSIFIED> word(s)?

"no sense of style" perhaps?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:06 pm
by cinephile2000
Wont they ever get it through their heads we like our heros with their original suits. Take Superman why would you even try the electirc blue outfit.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:07 pm
by Adam Balm
ONeillSG1 wrote:Why?

Why is this the necessary?


Image

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:23 pm
by Ribbons
cinephile2000 wrote:Wont they ever get it through their heads we like our heros with their original suits. Take Superman why would you even try the electirc blue outfit.


More and more, I think that whole "Superman 2.0: Electric Boogaloo" thing was just a stunt.

This? Eh. Not too worried. Is it goofy? Yeah, but it's not going to go over well anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:24 pm
by docfalken
Hmmmm ... gold tipped Spidey costume? Maybe the Beyonder is going to be a villian.

I can understand how basketball teams switch up jersey colors to sell more of them, but damn, who the fuck dresses up like Spiderman and goes to the club?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:51 pm
by Brocktune
so... spidey is going to start working safety patrol at his friendly neighborhood elementary school then, eh?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:54 pm
by Adam Balm
I don't think you guys are feeling the Spidey spirit here.

Say it with me:

BOLD NEW DIRECTION!

THINGS WILL NEVER BE THE SAME!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:19 pm
by wonkabar
So when did Peter Parker get hooked on meth?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:22 pm
by Adam Balm
Since he met Tony Stark.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:24 pm
by bluebottle
just another costume they can make into an action figure. he'll be back in his red + blues by summer.

i think his whole affiliation with The Avengers is short-lived, and he'll have some kind of a falling out with them, and return to his old suit.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:35 pm
by Adam Balm
But Blue! Think about all the hard work that Joe Quesada put into both designing this costume and the self-congratulation that soon followed.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:05 pm
by ONeillSG1
Adam Balm wrote:But Blue! Think about all the hard work that Joe Quesada put into both designing this costume and the self-congratulation that soon followed.


I think he might have pulled a muscle in all the self-back patting.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:07 pm
by Adam Balm
I know. Then he had to call up all his friends and tell them about what a brilliant idea he just had.

We're talking hours here, folks. Now that's effort....

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:12 pm
by burlivesleftnut
That's just fucked up. And I was actually enjoying this storyline.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:13 pm
by bluebottle
oh god, you're right.

we're going to be stuck with this costume forever!

because he worked for hours!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:19 pm
by Kilgore
Y'know, the black-and-white costume took off so nicely they had to rip it off him and create Venom out of it, thus creating a use for Eddie Brock.

So apparently when he sheds this one due to plummeting sales in a year or so, and he is forced to fight his 'new evil-incarnate' costume, apparently Webhead will finally be doing the long-awaited Transformers cross-over...

I know somehow Bendis is behind this. And for that reason, I am eternally grateful he and Joey Q are locked down at Marvel, thus sparing me from the pain of a bionic Batman with laser-targeting eyeballs assisted by a half-bird/half-monkey Robin who is the reincarnation of the Spoiler.

Breathe easy for the next couple of years...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:28 pm
by bluebottle
I actually liked Ben Reilly's costume. I always hoped for more Scarlett Spider.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:33 pm
by ONeillSG1
Kilgore wrote:Y'know, the black-and-white costume took off so nicely they had to rip it off him and create Venom out of it, thus creating a use for Eddie Brock.

So apparently when he sheds this one due to plummeting sales in a year or so, and he is forced to fight his 'new evil-incarnate' costume, apparently Webhead will finally be doing the long-awaited Transformers cross-over...

I know somehow Bendis is behind this. And for that reason, I am eternally grateful he and Joey Q are locked down at Marvel, thus sparing me from the pain of a bionic Batman with laser-targeting eyeballs assisted by a half-bird/half-monkey Robin who is the reincarnation of the Spoiler.

Breathe easy for the next couple of years...


Ditto. It makes me glad for the Infinite Crisis storyline going on now. What's all this Civil War talk? Is this going to be another X-Men/Avengers tease fight-team up or is it on a more universal level?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:35 pm
by burlivesleftnut
DAMN YOUR EYES, Q! DAMN THEM!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:36 pm
by ZombieZoneSolutions
WTF?! Man, that's terrible...

Oh well, they'll switch it back later.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:46 pm
by Shane
Couldn't it just go back to black?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:46 pm
by Kilgore
I know there's a ton of Marvel marks out there, but right now all you have to do is put Infinite Crisis up against House of M to see who's actually planning and thinking ahead to a decent conclusion. And I say this still liking Bendis' stuff from a couple years ago, but Crisis seems to have been thought out, and may actually have lasting ramifications in DC for years to come....M has so many f&^%ing loopholes and easy-outs to EVERYTHING they've changed that I got bored reading it. It just feels like any goofy-ass thing anyone can think of sticks when it's thrown against the wall, suckage as it might be.

Um, and if you were going to kill Hawkeye and all, how about leaving him dead for six months or so...as Steve Martin said in Planes, Trains and Automobiles: 'Here's a suggestion; when you tell these little stories of yours --- have a point! It makes it so much more enjoyable for the listener.'

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:58 pm
by Kilgore
Oh, and my guess as to the <CLASSIFIED> words:

'the hope that Rey Mysterio Jr. wears a version of it at Wrestlemania when he jobs out to some no-neck flavor of the week in a little-man/big-man showdown to start off the show while people are still getting nachos. It's synergy. man...'

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:03 am
by austenandrews
So, what, Spidey loses his powers and Iron Man builds him a super-suit?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:03 am
by ZombieZoneSolutions
Shane wrote:Couldn't it just go back to black?


Or just stick to the classic costume! Why mess with what ain't broke?

Costume changes don't make the hero, good stories make the hero!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:08 am
by ONeillSG1
austenandrews wrote:So, what, Spidey loses his powers and Iron Man builds him a super-suit?


He lost his powers again?? Ugh.

Damn you Quesada! You're raping my childhood worse that Lucas ever did.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:09 am
by Adam Balm
He's Spider-Man...no more!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:32 am
by buster00
Needs a hoodie.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:44 am
by bluebottle
buster00 wrote:Needs a hoodie.


ipampilash sir, ipampilash.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:49 am
by DennisMM
So, Peter comes back from the dead with absolutely no fashion sense? That must have taken Bachalo all of an hour to brainstorm and JQ ten minutes to sketch.

"The sky's the limit with respect to gadgetry when it comes to Tony inspired costumes."


I remember Iron Man's helmet with a nose! The shoulder-pad years! The silver and red suit! Built-in roller skates! When he relinquished his Tony identity and built a new suit from parts he bought on the electronics market!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:58 am
by austenandrews
It doesn't help that in the picture, Spider-Man has the dorkiest looking physique in recent memory.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:23 am
by MasterWhedon
Bluebottle wrote:I actually liked Ben Reilly's costume.

Couldn't agree more. I LOVE this costume.

Image

EDIT: And WTF happened in The Other that was so SHOCKING? Someone care to PM me with that? Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:45 am
by buster00
DennisMM wrote: I remember Iron Man's helmet with a nose! The shoulder-pad years! The silver and red suit! Built-in roller skates! When he relinquished his Tony identity and built a new suit from parts he bought on the electronics market!


Maybe you'll remember, Dennis...Web of Spider-Man #100, right? The "Spider-Armor" that lasted all of ONE ISSUE...before...I think Doc Ock smashed it apart...

Where did Peter get that ugly piece o' shit from? I can't remember. Like it matters, but it's one of those things that'll bug me...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:59 am
by Ribbons
Bluebottle wrote:I actually liked Ben Reilly's costume. I always hoped for more Scarlett Spider.


Me too! Hug! Remember impact webbing?!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:01 am
by burlivesleftnut
DennisMM wrote:So, Peter comes back from the dead with absolutely no fashion sense? That must have taken Bachalo all of an hour to brainstorm and JQ ten minutes to sketch.

"The sky's the limit with respect to gadgetry when it comes to Tony inspired costumes."


I remember Iron Man's helmet with a nose! The shoulder-pad years! The silver and red suit! Built-in roller skates! When he relinquished his Tony identity and built a new suit from parts he bought on the electronics market!


Man you just reminded my of why I have loathed Iron Man these long years.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:30 pm
by dark wesley
its bullshit.
smells of joe q's balls

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:12 pm
by austenandrews
MasterWhedon wrote:EDIT: And WTF happened in The Other that was so SHOCKING? Someone care to PM me with that? Thanks.

This thread has a spoiler warning. Let's hear it!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:35 pm
by Shane
ZombieZoneSolutions wrote:
Shane wrote:Couldn't it just go back to black?


Or just stick to the classic costume! Why mess with what ain't broke?

Costume changes don't make the hero, good stories make the hero!


When I started reading spidey regular it was around the secret warstime, so my fondest memories of spidey were in the black suit, I want it permenent.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 4:59 am
by The Garbage Man
austenandrews wrote:
MasterWhedon wrote:EDIT: And WTF happened in The Other that was so SHOCKING? Someone care to PM me with that? Thanks.

This thread has a spoiler warning. Let's hear it!


I believe after the main villain of the arc ripped out Spider-Man's eye, Parker ate his head. Pete then proceeded to "die" by placing himself in a cocoon before emerging and shedding his skin, finding himself completely healed of all past and present injuries.


For all the bitching about the costume, well, it's not like he always picks winners:
Image

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:38 am
by DennisMM
I've only been flipping through "The Other," but I don't remember any partial consumption of villain. Wow.

The cocoon came after Peter "died" and MJ found his body opened up like a dried snake skin. Uggh.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:14 pm
by austenandrews
Shed his skin..? Ate a villain's head?! What are they smoking at the Marvel offices these days??

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:35 pm
by Adam Balm
I know that arachnids molt to regenerate limbs or damaged body parts, but do they make cocoons? This is the first I've heard of it...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 2:22 am
by The Garbage Man
Spiders make cocoons for their young, but for themselves? Uh... not so much, AFAIK.



New pic courtesy of Newsarama reveals the secret enhancements they were hinting about:

Image

[quote]NRAMA: In that same vein, you’ve talked to us a couple of times about how you expect Civil War to garner significant mainstream attention, any concerns having Spider-Man appear in this new costume in Civil War will leave more mainstream observers and new readers wondering who that guy is and where the Spider-Man they know and love is at?

JQ: Don’t worry, we have a plan [laughs]…

Whoa, hold the presses. JMS just passed me a note. Joe simply says:

“Between the physical changes to Peter that follow the aftermath of The Other, he gets a second power upgrade courtesy of the ‘Iron Spider’ suit from Stark. What he will discover is that with great power comes not just responsibility but one heck of a price tag. Peter will have to decide if he can pay that price in loyalty to Tony, when the loyalty may cost him things he holds dearest. He will find himself caught in the middle of the Civil War, seeing all sides of the argument, but will be eventually forced to make a decision that will change both his life and the whole Marvel Universes.â€

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 2:55 am
by buster00
Peter's New Prime Directives:

1. Serve the public trust.
2. Protect the innocent.
3. Catch thieves just like flies.
CLASSIFIED FOURTH DIRECTIVE: Daily compliment Aunt May on the quality of her wheatcakes...or experience immediate system shutdown.


Has anyone here ever HAD wheatcakes? Who the fuck do you even ASK? That's something to do today: Consider the wheatcake.