The Official X-Thread (Now w/ Messiah Complex!)

Graphic novels. Weekly rags. The @$$holes.

Postby DennisMM on Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:38 pm

X-Force certainly will be filled with animal characters.

Even if the cover didn't show Rahne's departure, I doubt they'd have kept her in both books. Only Logan, Scott, Emma and Henry seem able to bilocate and almost always it's just Logan.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:42 pm

I was really hoping that X-Factor could make it out of Messiah Complex relatively unscathed. I just love that book so much and I get nervous when changes have to be made because it got bowled over by an event...even if it is a good one like Messiah Complex.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:19 am

I think X-Factor is in for a shake up. Hopefully one that will make me interested in this book!

I have to say, the Jamie and Layla scenes in the last issue of Messiah CompleX gave me chills. Real heartbreaking stuff to me.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:21 am

burlivesleftnut wrote:I think X-Factor is in for a shake up. Hopefully one that will make me interested in this book!

I have to say, the Jamie and Layla scenes in the last issue of Messiah CompleX gave me chills. Real heartbreaking stuff to me.

I can't comprehend how you would be uninterested in X-Factor! I absolutely adore that book. It has single-handedly made Jamie Madrox my favorite character in the Marvel U.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:14 pm

A) I don't know ANY of the characters except Jamie and Rahne. B) It's snooze inducing.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Spifftacular SquirrelGirl on Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:20 pm

And how refreshing would it be if Wolverine was just on X-Force exclusively? No more X-Men/Avengers/Power pack or whatever other comic feels like they need the sales boost. Wishful thinking I know.

I really like X-Factor as a book. The only X-Books I even take a look at right now are X-Factor and occasionally New X-Men (or is it supposed to be Young X-Men soon?)
Spifftacular SquirrelGirl
AIRWOLF

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:21 pm

See, I like X-Factor a lot, but I don't think it's completely lived up to its potential. It got waaaaay too wrapped up in the Decimation (which should've been handled by the X-books proper), the Civil War and now Messiah Complex.

What I want to see is a more self-contained book about mutant detectives, that takes traditional film noir story types and twists them into the X-world.

I'd also like more Madrox. The issues of him tracking down his rogue dupes were maybe my favorite of the new run.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Spifftacular SquirrelGirl on Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:25 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:See, I like X-Factor a lot, but I don't think it's completely lived up to its potential. It got waaaaay too wrapped up in the Decimation (which should've been handled by the X-books proper), the Civil War and now Messiah Complex.

What I want to see is a more self-contained book about mutant detectives, that takes traditional film noir story types and twists them into the X-world.

I'd also like more Madrox. The issues of him tracking down his rogue dupes were maybe my favorite of the new run.

Which sadly isn't really Peter David's fault. Marvel keeps tossing these giant crossovers that affect X-Factor quite a bit and it takes a little away from what I believe he's trying to do with his own storylines.

Oh and I can't believe I left out Astonishing X-Men out of my favorite X-Books comment from earlier. I've been a bad Whedon fan lately.

:P
AIRWOLF

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:28 pm

MW, LS EDIT: or Spiffy, or someone else...can you fill me in on where we are with Astonishing? Not the story line. I started quite late to the series, bought a few books, and then haven't bought anything for 7 months (which means I missed, what, like 2 books, heh).

What book are we on now? How much longer is Whedon going to keep going? And most importantly, should I finally go and pick all of these up? If Whedon's done with his run soon, then I might wait until they all get packed up in a couple of compilations...
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:32 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:MW, LS EDIT: or Spiffy, or someone else...can you fill me in on where we are with Astonishing? Not the story line. I started quite late to the series, bought a few books, and then haven't bought anything for 7 months (which means I missed, what, like 2 books, heh).

What book are we on now? How much longer is Whedon going to keep going? And most importantly, should I finally go and pick all of these up? If Whedon's done with his run soon, then I might wait until they all get packed up in a couple of compilations...

#23 was the last to ship. We've only got #24 and Giant-Sized Astonishing X-Men #1 left. Expect them in early 2014.

If you can, I'd suggest waiting until it's all wrapped-up to read them in trade. It's been brilliant, but the wait between issues is maddening and the story will read much better when collected.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:33 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:MW, LS EDIT: or Spiffy, or someone else...can you fill me in on where we are with Astonishing? Not the story line. I started quite late to the series, bought a few books, and then haven't bought anything for 7 months (which means I missed, what, like 2 books, heh).

At the moment we are at #23 with #24 coming out this month. After that we only have one more issue left, which is Giant Size Astonishing X-Men #1. It is massively oversized and completes the Whedon/Cassiday run on the book. After that, Warren Ellis and Simone Binachi take over the reigns.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:34 pm

Jinx!
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:42 pm

Excellent, thanks guys! I'll probably wait for the trades...
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby DennisMM on Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:07 pm

Whedo, Spiff is 100% correct. David has had the X-overs forced on him. That's exactly why he quit X-Factor the first time around, but they seem to be fucking him a bit more gently right now. Only Whedon seems immune from forced X-over tie-ins.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM

Postby Fawst on Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:17 pm

Wow, the days of the X-titles have changed so much since I read the funny-books... I think I gave up somewhere around Executioner's Song (X-ecutioner?). I bought X-Force #1 because I was that kid who bought all the gatefold, die-cut, hologram, foil-print, poly-bagged, collector card included #1s. I started reading X-Men with Jim Lee's #1. I had no idea what the fuck was going on because I didn't read X-Men at all prior to that. All these characters in the middle of a crazy situation... what a horrible way to start a #1.

Anyways, it sounds like AXM is in good hands. I'll actually check it out once it hits trades I think. It'll be one of the first comics I've purchased in a loooooooooong time.
Prince of the Land of Stench!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:40 pm

It was "X-Cutioner's Song." Bleah.

New X-Factor has a few interesting moments, though there's a horrible expository monologue that's essentially unmotivated.

Question for those who read a wide range of X-books. There are currently a few hundred mutants, reduced from millions first by the Genosha massacre, then M day. Mutations occur naturally due to cosmic radiation, chemical exposure and DNA replication errors. I've got the idea things are similar in Marvel 616. So why aren't the 6 billion humans on earth producing mutants? Did Wanda somehow suppress, worldwide, genetic change? Seems a stretch.
DennisMM

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:49 pm

She wiped the mutant X-gene away in all but a scant few, yeah.

"It's magic. Don't worry about it."
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby instant_karma on Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:04 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:She wiped the mutant X-gene away in all but a scant few, yeah.

I'm surprised burl didn't mention Scarlet Witch in the X-Men vs Jedi thread.

"Scarlet Witch re-writes reality. Mutants win."
instant_karma
Comes in 4 exciting flavours

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:08 pm

instant_karma wrote:
MasterWhedon wrote:She wiped the mutant X-gene away in all but a scant few, yeah.

...except she was never actually an X-Man.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby instant_karma on Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:18 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:
instant_karma wrote:

Wasn't she in her daddy's X-Men team in the Age of Apocalypse?
instant_karma
Comes in 4 exciting flavours

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:34 pm

instant_karma wrote:
MasterWhedon wrote:
instant_karma wrote:

Wasn't she in her daddy's X-Men team in the Age of Apocalypse?

AGE OF APOCALYPSE?!!!

...I think so.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby DennisMM on Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:09 pm

What I meant was, is she somehow suppressing the creation of the X-gene in embryos today? Those 16 million mutants killed in Genosha and however many more Wanda depowered didn't all come from mutant parents by any means. That mutation doesn't breed true has been established in the past. Mutants don't necessarily have mutant children. This means that before M-Day there had to be a great many spontaneous mutations appearing in embryos without mutant parents. Why haven't such mutant children been born since M-Day?

I know, magic.

Fuck M-Day, fuck Mephisto. I'm with Tony Stark.
DennisMM

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:22 pm

DennisMM wrote:I'm with Tony Stark.

Now you're talkin'...
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby DennisMM on Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:25 pm

When it comes to technology.

Cap lives!
DennisMM

Postby Leckomaniac on Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:08 am

For the few still reading it...

Heroes writer/producer Aron Coleite will take over writing duties on Ultimate X-Men after Kirman finishes up his run.

Interview here
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Spifftacular SquirrelGirl on Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:09 am

I figured this is the best place to ask this question....

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

S

So Prof. X gets shot in the head by Bishop and there's the page of Charles laying dead (?) until the last panel when he seems to have mysteriously dissappeared.

Question is if this was an artist mistake that the editor missed or was there a method to the madness?

I tend to think it was done on purpose. It'd seem to be too big of a mistake to just not draw such an important part of art. So either Xavier himself wanted the X-Men to believe he was dead or someone else did. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.
AIRWOLF

Postby Chilli on Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:19 am

Xavier can astral project, I think.
Bison: [to his architect] The temple above us was the wonder of the ancient world. Bisonopolis shall be the wonder of my world. But I think the food court should be larger. All the big franchises will want in.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:52 pm

So, Messiah Complex kicked many kinds of ass.

The solicitations for "Divided We Stand" are up HERE, and I have to say I really like the direction the books are taking. Feels much more like The Initiative aftermath of Civil War than the kinda crappy Decimation aftermath of House of M. Like, the entire mutant world was changed by one really, really big event and the fallout is where we're going to set out stories for the next few years. The formation of the teams and the directions of the new books aren't "traditional" for the X-Men, necessarily, but I think that works for it. It's a world turned upside down, and that's a fun place to be for a while before we inevitably get back to Cyclops deciding to rebuild the school and put the students back in class, etc. etc.

Also, Astonishing... is love. I say they should've made Giant-Sized #1 into a double-sized #25 and gone out on a big anniversary bang, but that's me. It's all climax from this point out, and it's all been brilliant. I still wish the book was ending with this storyline, as I don't see Astonishing fitting into the Divided mold. But whatev, if they can keep making standalone stories like these, I'll be there every time.

EDIT: Oh, and Xavier's not dead. Mike Carey discusses X-Men: Legacy--Xavier's book--HERE.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Spifftacular SquirrelGirl on Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:32 am

Here I was thinking that Cyclops was going to make a deal with Mephisto to bring Xavier back... only problem is that he has to break up with Emma Frost to do it.

The next day after making the deal, Cyke wakes up a teenager and holy cats... Jean's alive?! Xavier is making wheatcakes and Angel now has webshooters. It'll be great!

^^
AIRWOLF

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:26 am

Messiah ended well, but wtf is with all this THE X-MEN ARE NO MORE bullshit? It makes no sense.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Spifftacular SquirrelGirl on Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:27 am

burlivesleftnut wrote:Messiah ended well, but wtf is with all this THE X-MEN ARE NO MORE bullshit? It makes no sense.

I didn't get that either. It's not like Xavier hasn't "died" before.
AIRWOLF

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:28 am

No shit, and we had scene after scene of Scott telling him to go away anyhow.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Spifftacular SquirrelGirl on Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:32 am

I'm kind of hoping that when the X-Men get back together that it's just one team. It gets kind of confusing when there are like 3 teams running around and they're all called the X-Men.
AIRWOLF

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:12 am

Or they should start referring to themselves with the descriptors:

CYCLOPS: All right Astonishing X-Men, let's do this!
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby DennisMM on Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:35 am

Completely random thought: One of the coolest moments for me of the entire Whedon run was the last page of AXM #23. Not because Cyke sat up and had red eyes. It's because he thought, "To me, my X-Men." That was Xavier's first (telepathic) line in the original X-Men #1.

I guess it should have been, "To me, my Astonishing X-Men."
DennisMM

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:34 pm

Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:32 pm

Not dead again. Is she Jean? Is she Phoenix? Is she Jean with the power of Phoenix? Is Cassandra no longer a slug?

Thirty years of this crap is getting ridiculous. Magneto killed her. She's dead. Unless this is the Phoenix force, let it rest.
DennisMM

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:40 pm

DennisMM wrote:Magneto killed her.

Actually, officially, that was Xorn. Kuan-Yin Xorn, to be specific. Not Shen Xorn.

:?
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Lady Sheridan on Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:46 pm

I wonder if it's going to follow up from Warsong? Which sucked, but it did set the stage for an epic Emma and Jean bitch fight...which is NOT what I want to see at all.
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby DennisMM on Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:18 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:
DennisMM wrote:Magneto killed her.

Actually, officially, that was Xorn. Kuan-Yin Xorn, to be specific. Not Shen Xorn.

:?

I knew that, but I blocked it out. Really. Obviously I knew Magneto was alive post "Planet X" and had his head back, so he couldn't have been decapitated by Logan.

This is why I haven't followed the X books except for Morrison's New X-Men and Astonishing. A very good story was retconned into typically overcomplicated Marvel Mutant Mush.
DennisMM

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:30 pm

Leckomaniac wrote: Phoenix Rising?

Source

One of the guys in the CBR forums nailed it: it's gotta be a Legacy cover. Finch is drawing all of the other covers for that book, mostly featuring prominent X-villains of the past. Dark Phoenix, the Brood, Cassandra Nova, some zombie thing (?!)--methinks that's it.

And I could swear Mike Carey said recently there was no intention of brining Jean back any time soon, even with the maybe-hints of her as the baby in Messiah Complex. I think it'll be a long while before we see her again outside of another Endsong/Warsong.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Spifftacular SquirrelGirl on Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:22 am

MasterWhedon wrote:
Leckomaniac wrote: Phoenix Rising?

Source

One of the guys in the CBR forums nailed it: it's gotta be a Legacy cover. Finch is drawing all of the other covers for that book, mostly featuring prominent X-villains of the past. Dark Phoenix, the Brood, Cassandra Nova, some zombie thing (?!)--methinks that's it.

And I could swear Mike Carey said recently there was no intention of brining Jean back any time soon, even with the maybe-hints of her as the baby in Messiah Complex. I think it'll be a long while before we see her again outside of another Endsong/Warsong.

I don't know if it's so far out of the question if only it seems they've been printing off a lot of covers/comics with the Jean Grey Phoenix for a while now. There was a promo image for the Secret Invasion where she was featured with a group of other still living characters and they're also using her in Marvel Zombies 2.
AIRWOLF

Postby MasterWhedon on Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:31 pm

Spifftacular SquirrelGirl wrote:I don't know if it's so far out of the question if only it seems they've been printing off a lot of covers/comics with the Jean Grey Phoenix for a while now. There was a promo image for the Secret Invasion where she was featured with a group of other still living characters and they're also using her in Marvel Zombies 2.

Right, but the fact that it's a Finch cover featuring seemingly-unrelated villains leads me to believe it's not a new story about them all combining forces, but rather another of the "Xavier's splintered consciousness" stories where his mind keeps jumping around in the past and present.

If Jean does return--I think she will with time--I don't think it will be for quite a while, at least not until we discover the true nature/identity of the mutant baby. Five more years, is my bet.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby ONeillSG1 on Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:52 am

Anyone care to comment on X-Force #1 or is there another thread for it already?

I'll wait for you to respond before I go on a diatribe.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:01 am

ONeillSG1 wrote:Anyone care to comment on X-Force #1 or is there another thread for it already?

I'll wait for you to respond before I go on a diatribe.

You can discuss it here...or write a review in the Comics Review thread. I reviewed it. It was better than I expected, but my expectations were quite low. Not sure it justifies a new on-going, but we'll see.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:30 pm

NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO!

Please don't tell me...

Kitty's dead?!?#?!?

Please.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Leckomaniac on Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:50 pm

I didn't click the tiny text, because I was afraid...

but are you referring to Uncanny spilling the beans for Astonishing?
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:33 pm

Yes :(.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Leckomaniac on Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:45 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:Yes :(.

Yeah it sucks for many reasons. For one, I hate the fate of the character. Just sucks. Especially after what Joss had done for the character.

Second, I hate how it was spoiled outside of Astonishing. I mean, I get that Astonishing is SUPER SUPER SUPER SUPER late and that if it does fit into Marvel continuity that they can't hold out forever and slow down their plans considerably to accommodate this one book...but at the same time is just fucking blows to have such a major plot point ruined. And I didn't even read Uncanny, I just stumbled onto a message board that posted the fucking spoiler in the title thread (which I fucking loathe btw. Newsarama's message boards are the domain of satan).

So, to sum up, bummer all around.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:17 pm

Sons of bitches.

She'll be back, though.

Fucking sons of whores.

And, on that note, let's talk X-Force #2. It's crap. It's not the great tureen of vomit I'd been expecting, but it's crap. First, any comic that revives Nimrod/Bastion is a loser in my book. Nimrod was boring 20 years ago and he's boring today. The Marvel Universe needs a Crisis so it can write out all of the alternate timeline X-stories.

So, Rahne has already been shot in the knee and gets off at best with a limp, according to Logan. Sure. How long will that last? Will she return to X-Factor, a non-fight comic where a limping lycanthrope remains useful? Not from what we've heard. Will she at least be leaving X-Force immediately because of it? Doubtful. She'll somehow be better within a few months.

The members of X-Force wear black. This can be useful in night operations. However, they are as likely to operate during the day as at night, not to mention that regardless of light conditions they're running around in black SUPERHERO COSTUMES with lenses that make their eyes red. They're so inconspicuous I can hardly see them while I'm reading.
DennisMM

PreviousNext

Return to Comic Books