The Official X-Thread (Now w/ Messiah Complex!)

Graphic novels. Weekly rags. The @$$holes.

Postby Vegeta on Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:49 am

Does anyone know when the last Astonishing X-Men comes out?
User avatar
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY
 
Posts: 6274
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:22 am
Location: U.S.S.A.

Postby RogueScribner on Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:58 am

Last as in ever or last as in Whedon's last issue? What'd I miss?!
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
User avatar
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger
 
Posts: 9609
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:52 am
Location: Melbourne, FL

Postby DennisMM on Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:59 am

Giant-Size Astonishing X-Men #1 was announced for May 21. I'll believe it when I hold the comic in my hands. Expect the comic to become even later starting with #25 and the new team.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING
 
Posts: 16808
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:02 pm
Location: Watchin' the reels go 'round and 'round

Postby Vegeta on Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:04 pm

Thanks Dennis!
User avatar
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY
 
Posts: 6274
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:22 am
Location: U.S.S.A.

Postby DennisMM on Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:36 pm

You're welcome. Actually, I should have said expect the new team to be on time for about four issues, then become progressively late. Then the book should disappear for half a year or more - unless Marvel pulls in a replacement for Ellis. If I were Marvel I wouldn't give Ellis any more work until he's up to speed on existing projects.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING
 
Posts: 16808
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:02 pm
Location: Watchin' the reels go 'round and 'round

Postby burlivesleftnut on Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:54 pm

So I don't entirely understand everything that happened in ASM Giant Size. I am going to read it again. But I will say that the Kitty Pryde stuff was AMAZINGLY sad. She's always been one of my favorites, and what a stellar way to let the girl prove her worth as a hero and an X-Man. God damn, it makes me sad though.
Image
User avatar
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA
 
Posts: 10626
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:28 am
Location: Port Angeles, WA

Postby Leckomaniac on Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:18 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:So I don't entirely understand everything that happened in ASM Giant Size. I am going to read it again. But I will say that the Kitty Pryde stuff was AMAZINGLY sad. She's always been one of my favorites, and what a stellar way to let the girl prove her worth as a hero and an X-Man. God damn, it makes me sad though.


I definitely had to go back and read the previous issue to fully understand the stuff with Colossus and the other guys. However, I agree with Burl 100% of the Kitty Pride stuff. It was so damn heroic. My jaw just dropped as the bullet reached Earth. So expertly written and major, major kudos to Cassaday for adding the much needed cinematic art that made the whole thing feel that much more epic.

I damn near broke down at the: "Astonished, Ms. Pride" line. Hot damn can that Whedon guy write.
Image
User avatar
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 11031
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:32 pm
Location: Chicago, IL

Postby burlivesleftnut on Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:42 pm

Yeah... Whedon needs to return for a Kitty Pryde mini or something. I hate how that fucker breaks my heart every time. He's a fucking asshole (and I mean that as a compliment.).
Image
User avatar
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA
 
Posts: 10626
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:28 am
Location: Port Angeles, WA

Postby XOMuffintop on Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:14 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:
burlivesleftnut wrote: I think X-Factor is in for a shake up. Hopefully one that will make me interested in this book!

I have to say, the Jamie and Layla scenes in the last issue of Messiah CompleX gave me chills. Real heartbreaking stuff to me.


I can't comprehend how you would be uninterested in X-Factor! I absolutely adore that book. It has single-handedly made Jamie Madrox my favorite character in the Marvel U.


Quoted for truth. I think a law should be passed making it illegal for anyone but PAD to write Jamie Madrox. Great book.
Image

Laugh and the world laughs with you....
XOMuffintop
GLIB
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 12:23 pm

Re: The Official X-Thread (Now w/ Messiah Complex!)

Postby inkgeek on Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:29 pm

with X-Men #500 looming on horizon, i have a question....why all the hate for greg land? maybe i'm in the minority here, which i usually am, but i like greg land's work. is it always good, no. couldn't stand it on endsong, but thought it was awesome on his run on Ulitmate Fantastic Four.
User avatar
inkgeek
GLIB
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:58 pm
Location: The Big "O"

Re: The Official X-Thread (Now w/ Messiah Complex!)

Postby burlivesleftnut on Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:40 pm

I am unbovvered by his art.
Image
User avatar
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA
 
Posts: 10626
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:28 am
Location: Port Angeles, WA

Re: The Official X-Thread (Now w/ Messiah Complex!)

Postby RogueScribner on Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:35 pm

I think I need to reread the entire run of Astonishing 'cause they came out at such odd intervals I found it hard to keep everything straight.

That being said, Kitty Pride in the last issue rocked my socks off! :)
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
User avatar
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger
 
Posts: 9609
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:52 am
Location: Melbourne, FL

Re: The Official X-Thread (Now w/ Messiah Complex!)

Postby inkgeek on Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:48 pm

i've been a kitty fan since way back when and the end of astonishing really pissed me off, just have to say.
User avatar
inkgeek
GLIB
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:58 pm
Location: The Big "O"

Re: The Official X-Thread (Now w/ Messiah Complex!)

Postby optimous on Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:02 pm

Now that Ellis is two issues and the TalkBackers have sounded off, what do you guys think of the new Astonishing work coming out?

http://www.aintitcoolnews.com/node/38006#1

I already wrote about 700 words on it, so forgive me for not repeating.
Read Optimous Douche each Wednesday in the comics section of Ain't It Cool News.
If you want to read more Optimous ramblings during the week head over to http://www.theybannedme.com
optimous
GLIB
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:35 pm
Location: Schwenksville, PA

Re: The Official X-Thread (Now w/ Messiah Complex!)

Postby tacosauceletters on Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:49 am

man im bummed i havent been able to catch up with my xmen comics lately. i dont even know whats been going on lately. i wish theyd make another xmen cartoon series. but none of that xmen evolution bullshit, although i admit that i do watch it online from times to time. but something real legit with really great animation with a more serious undertone and really being true to the comics. YOUR MOVE MARVEL!
tacosauceletters
GLIB
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:24 am

Re: The Official X-Thread (Now w/ Messiah Complex!)

Postby BuckyO'harre on Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:40 am

tacosauceletters wrote:man im bummed i havent been able to catch up with my xmen comics lately. i dont even know whats been going on lately. i wish theyd make another xmen cartoon series. but none of that xmen evolution bullshit, although i admit that i do watch it online from times to time. but something real legit with really great animation with a more serious undertone and really being true to the comics. YOUR MOVE MARVEL!



There is going to be a new cartoon.
Wolverine and the X-men.
I think it's already airing in Canada, but won't show in the US until spring.

As for the rest of it...
the animation would, at best, be described as "enh",and it's going to be shown on Nicktoons.
I would be surprised if it's anywhere close to Avatar's quality, but here's hoping.
Thank you, Zoners, for the kindness, tolerance, and enlightenment you've shared with me. It may not have been deserved, but it was greatly appreciated nonetheless. Soupy twist.
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 3724
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:14 am

Re: The Official X-Thread (Now w/ Messiah Complex!)

Postby bastard_robo on Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:19 pm

BuckyO'harre wrote:
tacosauceletters wrote:man im bummed i havent been able to catch up with my xmen comics lately. i dont even know whats been going on lately. i wish theyd make another xmen cartoon series. but none of that xmen evolution bullshit, although i admit that i do watch it online from times to time. but something real legit with really great animation with a more serious undertone and really being true to the comics. YOUR MOVE MARVEL!



There is going to be a new cartoon.
Wolverine and the X-men.
I think it's already airing in Canada, but won't show in the US until spring.

As for the rest of it...
the animation would, at best, be described as "enh",and it's going to be shown on Nicktoons.
I would be surprised if it's anywhere close to Avatar's quality, but here's hoping.



Ive been told of damn good things of the new Xtoon
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

Image
User avatar
bastard_robo
SCANK BARON
 
Posts: 4631
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:59 am
Location: Hello Kitty Adventure Island

Re: The Official X-Thread (Now w/ Messiah Complex!)

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:50 pm

bastard_robo wrote:
BuckyO'harre wrote:
tacosauceletters wrote:man im bummed i havent been able to catch up with my xmen comics lately. i dont even know whats been going on lately. i wish theyd make another xmen cartoon series. but none of that xmen evolution bullshit, although i admit that i do watch it online from times to time. but something real legit with really great animation with a more serious undertone and really being true to the comics. YOUR MOVE MARVEL!



There is going to be a new cartoon.
Wolverine and the X-men.
I think it's already airing in Canada, but won't show in the US until spring.

As for the rest of it...
the animation would, at best, be described as "enh",and it's going to be shown on Nicktoons.
I would be surprised if it's anywhere close to Avatar's quality, but here's hoping.


By who?


Ive been told of damn good things of the new Xtoon
Image
User avatar
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA
 
Posts: 10626
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:28 am
Location: Port Angeles, WA

Re: The Official X-Thread (Now w/ Messiah Complex!)

Postby Fievel on Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:13 am

Wolverine & The X-Men IS pretty cool so far.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
User avatar
Fievel
Mouse Of The House
 
Posts: 11895
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:07 pm
Location: White Lake, MI

Re: The Official X-Thread (Now w/ Messiah Complex!)

Postby BuckyO'harre on Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:27 am

Here's the official thread for the show.


I don't know if we can trust Fievel. He's a criminal after all. :wink:

I just want Colossus to be a part of the frikkin' team for once, instead of simply being a cameo player.
Camp factor and Aussie Wolverine type goofs aside, it's a shame that Pryde of the X-men didn't make it.
Thank you, Zoners, for the kindness, tolerance, and enlightenment you've shared with me. It may not have been deserved, but it was greatly appreciated nonetheless. Soupy twist.
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 3724
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:14 am

Re: The Official X-Thread (Now w/ Messiah Complex!)

Postby Fievel on Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:22 am

BuckyO'harre wrote:Here's the official thread for the show.


I don't know if we can trust Fievel. He's a criminal after all. :wink:

I just want Colossus to be a part of the frikkin' team for once, instead of simply being a cameo player.
Camp factor and Aussie Wolverine type goofs aside, it's a shame that Pryde of the X-men didn't make it.


Mea culpa!
Like I said in that thread, I thought it aired here and I just missed it.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
User avatar
Fievel
Mouse Of The House
 
Posts: 11895
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:07 pm
Location: White Lake, MI

Re: The Official X-Thread (Now w/ Messiah Complex!)

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:40 pm

Has anyone been reading the magnificent mini-series Magneto: Testament? The Third issue just came out and I am blown away. Pak continues to assert himself as one of Marvel's best writers. Furthermore, it demonstrates the strength of the Marvel Knights line for mini's (like Silver Surfer: Requiem). I imagine it will be amazing as an oversized HC. If you haven't been reading this excellent mini, do yourself a favor and check it out. It really is quite spectacular.
Image
User avatar
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 11031
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:32 pm
Location: Chicago, IL

Re: The Official X-Thread (Now w/ Messiah Complex!)

Postby burlivesleftnut on Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:45 am

Leckomaniac wrote:Has anyone been reading the magnificent mini-series Magneto: Testament? The Third issue just came out and I am blown away. Pak continues to assert himself as one of Marvel's best writers. Furthermore, it demonstrates the strength of the Marvel Knights line for mini's (like Silver Surfer: Requiem). I imagine it will be amazing as an oversized HC. If you haven't been reading this excellent mini, do yourself a favor and check it out. It really is quite spectacular.


I would, but Magneto is about as exciting to me as a sock full of buttons.
Image
User avatar
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA
 
Posts: 10626
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:28 am
Location: Port Angeles, WA

Re: The Official X-Thread (Now w/ Messiah Complex!)

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:25 pm

MMMkay. I am no HUGE fan of wolverine because I think his shit has played out. Or it HAD been played out. Anyway, the current run of Wolverine: Old Man Logan written by the attention-spaz Mark Millar is really a classic in the making. Every beat of the story has been pretty fantastic. For those not in the know, the story takes place many years after a super-hero holocaust. Villains are running a dystopian future America now. Logan has given up the super hero fun and now lives on a farm with his family, when a blind Hawkeye comes accalling asking Logan to help him transport something way the fuck across America. The comic not only gives us a view into this wacky future, but also has some stellar moments for Logan along the way. The most recent release, Issue 70, goes into details as to why Wolverine is dead as a super hero, and it's a jaw dropper.

Similarly, Jason Aarons mini series Wolverine: Manifest Destiny is a great fun read. The comic focuses on Wolverine returning to China Town in SF now that the X-Men have relocated there. He's trying to correct a grievous decision he made 50 years ago, and it's fun because the entire story actually challenges Wolverine not just in physical ways, but also in how he should act as the supposed most bad ass dude in the Marvel U. The third issue of the four-part is out now and Wolverine has an exchange with his old Martial Arts master Po that makes you consider the character differently. When Logan claims he's the best at what he does, Po replies, "and what is that? getting hit? bleeding all over the place?" It made me realize that Wolverine, for all his bad-assery has only been that way because of his healing factor and not his skill as a fighter. Very illuminating, and enjoyable.
Image
User avatar
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA
 
Posts: 10626
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:28 am
Location: Port Angeles, WA

Re: The Official X-Thread (Now w/ Messiah Complex!)

Postby Leckomaniac on Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:28 am

burlivesleftnut wrote:MMMkay. I am no HUGE fan of wolverine because I think his shit has played out. Or it HAD been played out. Anyway, the current run of Wolverine: Old Man Logan written by the attention-spaz Mark Millar is really a classic in the making. Every beat of the story has been pretty fantastic. For those not in the know, the story takes place many years after a super-hero holocaust. Villains are running a dystopian future America now. Logan has given up the super hero fun and now lives on a farm with his family, when a blind Hawkeye comes accalling asking Logan to help him transport something way the fuck across America. The comic not only gives us a view into this wacky future, but also has some stellar moments for Logan along the way. The most recent release, Issue 70, goes into details as to why Wolverine is dead as a super hero, and it's a jaw dropper.

Similarly, Jason Aarons mini series Wolverine: Manifest Destiny is a great fun read. The comic focuses on Wolverine returning to China Town in SF now that the X-Men have relocated there. He's trying to correct a grievous decision he made 50 years ago, and it's fun because the entire story actually challenges Wolverine not just in physical ways, but also in how he should act as the supposed most bad ass dude in the Marvel U. The third issue of the four-part is out now and Wolverine has an exchange with his old Martial Arts master Po that makes you consider the character differently. When Logan claims he's the best at what he does, Po replies, "and what is that? getting hit? bleeding all over the place?" It made me realize that Wolverine, for all his bad-assery has only been that way because of his healing factor and not his skill as a fighter. Very illuminating, and enjoyable.


Wolverine #70 was a well done issue. Not a surprise, really. It has been predicted on message boards since the run began, but well executed regardless. And the art is beyond stunning.

Haven't read Manifest Destiny, but Aaron is a tour de force. Scalped is one of the best series going right now and his issues of Wolverine have been some of the best in the character's recent history.
Image
User avatar
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 11031
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:32 pm
Location: Chicago, IL

X-Men Manifest Misprint

Postby optimous on Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:13 pm

Hey Guys,
Just got back from the LCS and we discovered that X-Men Manifest Destiny #5 are actually the pages of X-Men/Spider-Man #3.

Just thought I would mention it for those that like that sort of thing....
Read Optimous Douche each Wednesday in the comics section of Ain't It Cool News.
If you want to read more Optimous ramblings during the week head over to http://www.theybannedme.com
optimous
GLIB
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:35 pm
Location: Schwenksville, PA

Re: The Official X-Thread (Now w/ Messiah Complex!)

Postby DennisMM on Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:03 pm

I just read X-Factor #39. Peter David specifically requested that reads not spoil the book in any fashion, even with spoiler tags, so I won't.

This is big, for anyone who cares about Jamie Madrox. This is tragic. This is a personal tragedy that eclipses most anything else, as a mutant analogy to the real world. It's different, it's shocking, but in the end it's something we all can relate to. I recommend the issue highly.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING
 
Posts: 16808
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:02 pm
Location: Watchin' the reels go 'round and 'round

Re: The Official X-Thread (Now w/ Messiah Complex!)

Postby Leckomaniac on Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:10 pm

DennisMM wrote:I just read X-Factor #39. Peter David specifically requested that reads not spoil the book in any fashion, even with spoiler tags, so I won't.

This is big, for anyone who cares about Jamie Madrox. This is tragic. This is a personal tragedy that eclipses most anything else, as a mutant analogy to the real world. It's different, it's shocking, but in the end it's something we all can relate to. I recommend the issue highly.


Wow!

I love Jamie Madrox, but I stopped reading Marvel when the economics precipitated a choice between Marvel, DC, and Independent books. I believe I dropped X-Factor right as Rahne moved to X-Force. Will I be completely lost if I try and read this? I am very interested now.
Image
User avatar
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 11031
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:32 pm
Location: Chicago, IL

Re: The Official X-Thread (Now w/ Messiah Complex!)

Postby DennisMM on Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:37 pm

They wrapped up the crossover storylines a while back, and the awful art has been replaced by workmanlike if not outstanding art. The story at this point is fairly easy to jump into with two bits of information.

1. X-Factor, after taking over Mutant Town, was driven underground by Val Cooper and the O*N*E. They established themselves as an investigations agency and are scraping by. Cooper is searching for them.

2. Siryn is pregnant with Jamie's child. Very pregnant.

One other, nonessential but bothersome bit of information: Still no Layla, damn it.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING
 
Posts: 16808
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:02 pm
Location: Watchin' the reels go 'round and 'round

Re: The Official X-Thread (Now w/ Messiah Complex!)

Postby Leckomaniac on Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:53 pm

DennisMM wrote:They wrapped up the crossover storylines a while back, and the awful art has been replaced by workmanlike if not outstanding art. The story at this point is fairly easy to jump into with two bits of information.

1. X-Factor, after taking over Mutant Town, was driven underground by Val Cooper and the O*N*E. They established themselves as an investigations agency and are scraping by. Cooper is searching for them.

2. Siryn is pregnant with Jamie's child. Very pregnant.

One other, nonessential but bothersome bit of information: Still no Layla, damn it.


Really? No Layla?? Still?

Ugh.

How much does the title interact with the greater Marvel U? I want to start getting it again, but I don't want to read any other titles to do so, you know?
Image
User avatar
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 11031
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:32 pm
Location: Chicago, IL

Re: The Official X-Thread (Now w/ Messiah Complex!)

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:03 pm

Jesus what a pointlessly grim occurrence. Peter David is so over-rated.
Image
User avatar
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA
 
Posts: 10626
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:28 am
Location: Port Angeles, WA

Re: The Official X-Thread (Now w/ Messiah Complex!)

Postby DennisMM on Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:08 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:
DennisMM wrote:They wrapped up the crossover storylines a while back, and the awful art has been replaced by workmanlike if not outstanding art. The story at this point is fairly easy to jump into with two bits of information.

1. X-Factor, after taking over Mutant Town, was driven underground by Val Cooper and the O*N*E. They established themselves as an investigations agency and are scraping by. Cooper is searching for them.

2. Siryn is pregnant with Jamie's child. Very pregnant.

One other, nonessential but bothersome bit of information: Still no Layla, damn it.


Really? No Layla?? Still?

Ugh.

How much does the title interact with the greater Marvel U? I want to start getting it again, but I don't want to read any other titles to do so, you know?


David tries to keep down crossovers. He had to go into the mutant baby story (name escapes me), but he fights not to have the book interrupted by crossovers if possible. And, yeah, Layla's still trapped in the future, possibly forever.

Lecko, if you want, I can spoil the big end in a PM and you can decide if you think it's worth it.

burl, I have to disagree. It's about personal tragedy. Byrne did something similar in FF 25 years ago, and it was good but not half as shocking as this. Yeah, it's a gimmick, but he's using the mutant gimmick to speak to issues most anyone can relate to.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING
 
Posts: 16808
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:02 pm
Location: Watchin' the reels go 'round and 'round

Re: The Official X-Thread (Now w/ Messiah Complex!)

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:17 pm

Yeah I am a little confused on the "issue" you are relating too. And since I don't care about Peter David: Siren has the baby, and then asks Jamie to hold it. Jamie promptly absorbs the baby. His only excuse is: "I was pretty drunk that night you got pregnant and I think it might have been a dupe. So I guess a dupe's baby is just as real as a dupe" or something like that.
Image
User avatar
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA
 
Posts: 10626
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:28 am
Location: Port Angeles, WA

Re: The Official X-Thread (Now w/ Messiah Complex!)

Postby Leckomaniac on Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:20 pm

No, you don't have to spoil it for me Dennis. I will just have my LCS set aside a copy for me to read when I go there Friday to pick up my books.

I am sure I will like it. I am a huge fan of Peter David. I disagree with burl about him being overrated. I do think he swung and missed BIG TIME with She-Hulk. However, X-Factor was outstanding when I read it and his Dark Tower stuff is superb. Not to mention that run on Hulk, which I find to be quite enjoyable. I have never read his indie work or his DC stuff.
Image
User avatar
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 11031
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:32 pm
Location: Chicago, IL

Re: The Official X-Thread (Now w/ Messiah Complex!)

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:39 am

All kinds of X-Men news here thanks to NYCC.

I particularly love this cover:

Image
Image
User avatar
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA
 
Posts: 10626
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:28 am
Location: Port Angeles, WA

Re: The Official X-Thread (Now w/ Messiah Complex!)

Postby Ribbons on Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:41 am

Pretty snazz-ay; what comic is that for burl?
User avatar
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG
 
Posts: 13521
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:00 am

Re: The Official X-Thread (Now w/ Messiah Complex!)

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:42 am

I think an X-Force Special with Wolverine and Domino. Read the damn link. I can't be expected to remember everything.
Image
User avatar
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA
 
Posts: 10626
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:28 am
Location: Port Angeles, WA

Re: The Official X-Thread (Now w/ Messiah Complex!)

Postby Ribbons on Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:43 am

Fix the damn link first, you!

[shakes fist]
User avatar
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG
 
Posts: 13521
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:00 am

Re: The Official X-Thread (Now w/ Messiah Complex!)

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:27 am

hahahahaha... I am so dumb.
Image
User avatar
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA
 
Posts: 10626
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:28 am
Location: Port Angeles, WA

Re: The Official X-Thread (Now w/ Messiah Complex!)

Postby DennisMM on Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:33 pm

X-Factor #40 - not on the same shock level with the previous issue, but that one coming I did not see.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING
 
Posts: 16808
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:02 pm
Location: Watchin' the reels go 'round and 'round

Re: The Official X-Thread (Now w/ Messiah Complex!)

Postby thefraze on Mon May 18, 2009 6:00 pm

I just picked up the TPBs (1-4) of Astonishing X-Men and just finished reading the first one - pretty impressed.
"I've seen "The Exorcist" about a hundred and sixty-seven times, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT... "
User avatar
thefraze
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE
 
Posts: 388
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 3:29 pm
Location: Charlotte, N.C.

Re: The Official X-Thread (Now w/ Messiah Complex!)

Postby burlivesleftnut on Mon May 18, 2009 9:19 pm

thefraze wrote:I just picked up the TPBs (1-4) of Astonishing X-Men and just finished reading the first one - pretty impressed.


Yes, Astonishing under Whedon was really quite brilliant. I love me some Claremont/Byrne era X-Men, but Astonishing comes close.
Image
User avatar
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA
 
Posts: 10626
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:28 am
Location: Port Angeles, WA

Re: The Official X-Thread (Now w/ Messiah Complex!)

Postby thefraze on Tue May 19, 2009 3:24 pm

When did Whedon stop writing the Astonishing series? Should I continue or...
"I've seen "The Exorcist" about a hundred and sixty-seven times, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT... "
User avatar
thefraze
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE
 
Posts: 388
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 3:29 pm
Location: Charlotte, N.C.

Re: The Official X-Thread (Now w/ Messiah Complex!)

Postby burlivesleftnut on Tue May 19, 2009 11:15 pm

thefraze wrote:When did Whedon stop writing the Astonishing series? Should I continue or...


I don't know the exact issue he stopped. Easily googleable, I don't think the newest issues have been put in trade anyway since the story has not completed.
Image
User avatar
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA
 
Posts: 10626
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:28 am
Location: Port Angeles, WA

Re: The Official X-Thread (Now w/ Messiah Complex!)

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed May 20, 2009 2:26 am

burlivesleftnut wrote:
thefraze wrote:When did Whedon stop writing the Astonishing series? Should I continue or...


I don't know the exact issue he stopped. Easily googleable, I don't think the newest issues have been put in trade anyway since the story has not completed.


I believe issue #26 is the first Ellis penned.
Image
User avatar
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 11031
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:32 pm
Location: Chicago, IL

Re: The Official X-Thread (Now w/ Messiah Complex!)

Postby burlivesleftnut on Wed May 20, 2009 11:55 pm

Thanks Lecko!
Image
User avatar
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA
 
Posts: 10626
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:28 am
Location: Port Angeles, WA

Re: The Official X-Thread (Now w/ Messiah Complex!)

Postby thefraze on Sat May 23, 2009 3:56 pm

About to start Vol. 4 of Astonishing X-Men, really like it.

Just picked up the third volume of the Dark Tower comic series, Treachery. Can't wait to dig into this.
"I've seen "The Exorcist" about a hundred and sixty-seven times, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT... "
User avatar
thefraze
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE
 
Posts: 388
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 3:29 pm
Location: Charlotte, N.C.

Re: The Official X-Thread (Now w/ Messiah Complex!)

Postby DennisMM on Sun May 24, 2009 1:08 am

Actually, I think it was #25. It would have been 26, but they shoved the end of Whedon's last arc into a giant-sized special rather than break the six-numbers-is-a-story rule everyone has these days.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING
 
Posts: 16808
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:02 pm
Location: Watchin' the reels go 'round and 'round

X-Men Forever

Postby TheButcher on Sat May 30, 2009 12:06 pm

User avatar
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR
 
Posts: 17317
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:02 am
Location: The Bureau of Sabotage

Re: The Official X-Thread (Now w/ Messiah Complex!)

Postby DennisMM on Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:09 am

X-Factor #50

I've read this twice and parts three times, and I just don't know what to think. They have shaken up the situation once again, especially as regards Layla Miller. We learn why she "knows stuff," and it's a bit crazy-making. All I will say is that I hate time paradoxes. They make my head hurt. Other than that, it's a fairly tidy wrap-up of Madrox's trip to the future. We learn what's up with the Sentinels, find out what happened to Trevor Fitzroy and finish off the too-long Cortex story. I should be more enthused about this, with its big events, but I'm finding it kind of empty and by-the-numbers apart from the Layla reveal. 7/10
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING
 
Posts: 16808
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:02 pm
Location: Watchin' the reels go 'round and 'round

PreviousNext

Return to Comic Books

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest