The Official X-Thread (Now w/ Messiah Complex!)

Graphic novels. Weekly rags. The @$$holes.

Re: The Official X-Thread (Now w/ Messiah Complex!)

Postby Gheorghe Zamfir on Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:35 am

Wasn't sure if you guys had seen this over at hulu, thought I'd throw out some linkage, apologies if its already been mentioned:

Astonishing X-Men Motion Comic
Gheorghe Zamfir
REAL DRAGON

Postby Leckomaniac on Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:33 pm

DennisMM wrote:I just read X-Factor #39. Peter David specifically requested that reads not spoil the book in any fashion, even with spoiler tags, so I won't.

This is big, for anyone who cares about Jamie Madrox. This is tragic. This is a personal tragedy that eclipses most anything else, as a mutant analogy to the real world. It's different, it's shocking, but in the end it's something we all can relate to. I recommend the issue highly.

I went back and bought a bunch of X-Factor back issues...the only one they didn't have was this one. DAMN!

I should have done what I said at the time and had my LCS set aside this issue. Curse my procrastination.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:38 pm

Since you may not see it for a long while, I'll spoil, but only with black bars. Teresa gives birth, following some complications. Jamie holds his newborn son and, to his horror, uncontrollably absorbs it as he does a duplicate. He theorizes that the "Jamie" who impregnated Teresa was a dupe. Thus, the baby was merely a sort of hysterical pregnancy. Teresa, understandably, loses it. burl didn't see it as an analogy, but I view the event as a twisted version of crib death or having a baby die in the hospital shortly after birth.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby Leckomaniac on Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:13 am

DennisMM wrote:Since you may not see it for a long while, I'll spoil, but only with black bars. Teresa gives birth, following some complications. Jamie holds his newborn son and, to his horror, uncontrollably absorbs it as he does a duplicate. He theorizes that the "Jamie" who impregnated Teresa was a dupe. Thus, the baby was merely a sort of hysterical pregnancy. Teresa, understandably, loses it. burl didn't see it as an analogy, but I view the event as a twisted version of crib death or having a baby die in the hospital shortly after birth.

Ha! Thanks Dennis.

Well, I just picked up (and read) issues #36-46 (minus issues #39, and 43 because those were sold out :P )

Some really solid stuff. I like that return of Layla. It was about time. And I loved the future Doom. Boy howdy, though, did that Stroman dude suck at art. Is De Landro that slow that he is unable to maintain a monthly schedule? Seriously, there were so many fill-in artists during those ten issues. And on #46, they put De Landro's name on the cover when he doesn't even do the art! That is the second art screw up for X-Factor (the first being when they attributed the cover to issue #39 to the wrong person). What the shit is going on at Marvel?

But in other news...HOLY CRAP X-FACTOR IS GOING TO HAVE LETTERS NOW?!?!?! I am so writing in.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheButcher on Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:10 am

CBR ADVANCE PREVIEW: "Generation Hope" #2

Bleeding Cool's Friday Runaround:
The X-Men Heist Of Akira
Rich Johnston wrote:Marvel’s Generation Hope Tips Mutant Hat to Akira | Underwire | Wired.com
Scott Thill wrote: “There’s nothing wrong with stealing,” John Lennon infamously argued, “providing you steal from the best.” Marvel Comics’ new Uncanny X-Men spinoff Generation Hope has learned that lesson well, lifting the psionic mutant god Tetsuo from Katsuhiro Otomo’s timeless anime Akira for its apocalyptic yarn of survival.

Bleeding Cool's Swipe File: Akira and X-Men: Generation Hope
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby DennisMM on Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:31 pm

That makes Keith Giffen's José Munoz swipes look mild. Absolutely shameless.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM

Postby TheButcher on Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:31 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:23 pm

From Newsarama:
Marvel Unveils AGE OF X Tie-In Series AGE OF X UNIVERSE #1
Albert Ching wrote:Mike Carey is writing all seven parts of the main Age of X story, but Simon Spurrier is handling the two-issue tie-in series Age of X Universe, checking in on how the rest of the Marvel Universe is handling the X-Men-less timeline. Like the original Age of X teasers, this first Age of X Universe image features several heroes in silhouette.

Spurrier has written a handful of Marvel titles recently, most notably 2007's four-issue miniseries Silver Surfer: In Thy Name. Handling art will be Khoi Pham, who's currently illustrating the Chaos War five-isuse series.

Age of X Universe seems to serve a similar purpose as the two-issue X-Universe series released during the thematically similar "Age of Apocalypse" storyline in the mid-'90s. Earlier today, Newsarama published an in-depth interview with Mike Carey on Age of X.

Next year’s most talked about X-Men event gets bigger this March with Age Of X Universe #1 (of 2), from writer Simon Spurrier (Silver Surfer: In Thy Name) and superstar artist Khoi Pham (Chaos War). In the Age Of X, the mutants of the world never banded together to form the X-Men. But what of the Earth’s other heroes? In a world without X-Men...a world without hope, what side do the Earth’s Mightiest stand on? See the story of Marvel’s greatest heroes through new eyes as the future of mankind is decided in Age Of X Universe #1!

Keep your eyes peeled this week for another Age of X Historical Log inside select Marvel Comics. Be sure to head out to your local comic shop to find the next clue you will need to unravel the mystery that is Age of X.

AGE OF X UNIVERSE #1 (of 2)
Written by SIMON SPURRIER
Penciled by KHOI PHAM
Cover by SIMONE BIANCHI
Rated T+...$3.99
ON SALE IN MARCH

From Newsarama:
Preparing For the AGE OF X with Mike Carey, Part 1
Albert Ching wrote:Mike Carey has been writing the X-Men since 2006 — starting with what was then the adjectiveless title that later transitioned into X-Men: Legacy — and starting in January 2011, he's helming his biggest story featuring the Marvel mutants yet, Age of X.

It's a seven-part story starting with Age of X: Alpha #1, scheduled for release on Jan. 26, then continuing through X-Men: Legacy #245-247 and New Mutants #22-24. In the tradition of "Age of Apocalypse" and "Days of Future Past," it's a grim alternate timeline where the X-Men never got the opportunity to form, leading to unprecedented anti-mutant sentiment. Carey writes all seven parts, with Mirco Pierfederici, Paul Davidson, Gabriel Hernandez Walta, Harvey Tolibao and Carlo Barberi providing art for the Alpha one-shot, regular series artist Clay Mann on the Legacy issues, and Steve Kurth illustrating the New Mutants chapters.

In the first part of Newsarama's two-part chat with Carey, we learn about the origins of Age of X, what unexpected X-characters will be playing a part, the fact that who isn't around in this new timeline may be just as important, and the challenge of convincing readers that stories outside of the mainstream Marvel Universe "count."
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: X-MEN SCHISM

Postby TheButcher on Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:37 pm

Wolverine’s X-Men And Cyclops’ X-Men For 2012?

Rich Johnston wrote:I have been led to understand by a reputable comics source certain details about the future direction of the X-Men books, post-Fear Itself, possibly towards the end of the year, but into the next.

Understand, that is this is as a result of a recent X-summit, but also that these are plans many months away from completion and the details are bound to change. It may indicate a certain direction to look out for, however.

I’m told the members of the X-Men are planned to be split into two very distinct teams and books, each with a different moral outlook, aligning along the traditional Xavier/Magneto divide. Scott Summers, Cyclops, will lead the Xavier-minded team, while the Magneto-motivated will be led by… Wolverine!

Jason Aaron will be writing a four issue extra-sized mini about Wolverine’s X-Men, with a different celebrity comics artist on each issue. Marc Silvestri is down for one and McNiven is another.

And look for companion mini-series focused on the setup of Scott’s X-Men, potentially to be written by current Uncanny X-Men writer Kieron Gillen.

And of course, Wolverine will stay in X-Force… and Avengers… and Moon Knight… and Wolverine… and…
Last edited by TheButcher on Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:40 pm

Last edited by TheButcher on Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Leckomaniac on Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:44 pm

I have recently gotten myself back into the X-Men Universe. The biggest disappointment is probably Uncanny. I just don't see it fulfilling it's role as the flagship X-book. I want Uncanny to be the best of the X-world. I want powerful allegory, family dynamics, and an epic scope. The team should be the elite.

As I see it, the X-books should shake down like this:

Uncanny: Showcase for the X-Men Universe. Elite.
Legacy: Expanded roster exploring the depth of the universe.
X-Factor: Noir w/ David's flair for humor and drama.
X-Force: Action and espionage. The Expendables of the X-Verse.

Of those, I think X-Factor and X-Force are knocking it out of the park. Legacy is chugging along well. And with Gillen taking over Uncanny X-Men, I have high hopes that the X-books will be good for some time. With the above rumor, I am looking forward to seeing a renewed focus on the philosophy of the teams.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Re: AGE OF X UNIVERSE

Postby TheButcher on Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:14 am

Marvel is pleased to present your first look at Age of X: Universe #1 (of 2), from fan favorite writer Simon Spurrier and superstar artist Khoi Pham! Discover the shocking foundations of the critically acclaimed and sold out Age Of X event! How did the last remnants of mutantkind manage to escape the clutches of the dreaded extermination unit known as…The Avengers? Behold, the merciless purge of the Children of the Atom and the rise of Fortress X’s rebel underground in the world that almost was in Age Of X: Universe #1 (of 2), on sale this March!

CBR Preview:
AGE OF X UNIVERSE #1
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:32 am

Teaser: X-MEN SCHISM Coming in 'MMXI' (Greg Land art)
Albert Ching wrote:Two important details came out at the very end of the fifth and final of this week's "MMXI: Year of the X-Men" Marvel Comics conference calls with the press: the fact that the full title of the four-issue, Paul Jenkins-written miniseries starting in May is X-Men: Prelude to Schism. It was previously solicited as just X-Men: Prelude.

The second is the Greg Land-illustrated X-Men: Schism teaser image attached to this article, which strongly suggests the two main players behind the titular divide — Cyclops and Wolverine. (It's a ruby quartz visor cut in three places, after all.)

Rich Johnston of Bleeding Cool reported word from an anonymous source last month that the X-Men were heading towards a split, with one team led by Cyclops and one team led by Wolverine.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:21 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Leckomaniac on Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:32 pm

TheButcher wrote:WC 11:
Marvel's X-Men Event Revealed

SCHISM!

Man, did Rich Johnston get that one on the nose.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheButcher on Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:14 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:
TheButcher wrote:WC 11:
Marvel's X-Men Event Revealed

SCHISM!

Man, did Rich Johnston get that one on the nose.

From Bleeding Cool April 2, 2011:
X-Men Schism: Respectfully We Informed You Of This Event At An Earlier Juncture… Ish
Rich Johnston wrote:From February 9th, 2011
I’m told the members of the X-Men are planned split into two very distinct teams and books, each with a different moral outlook, aligning along the traditional Xavier/Magneto divide. Scott Summers, Cyclops, will lead the Xavier-minded team, while the Magneto-motivated will be led by… Wolverine!

Jason Aaron will be writing a four issue extra-sized mini about Wolverine’s X-Men, with a different celebrity comics artist on each issue. Marc Silvestri is down for one and McNiven is another.

And look for companion mini-series focused on the setup of Scott’s X-Men, potentially to be written by current Uncanny X-Men writer Kieron Gillen.

And of course, Wolverine will stay in X-Force… and Avengers… and Moon Knight… and Wolverine… and…

From March 16th, 2011
Well, at the X-Men panel at C2E2 you may expect to learn that the split will be as a result of Scott Summers continuing to want to unite all mutants separately from the human population. He started doing this on the Utopia island, but this will be a, for want of a better word, permanent solution.

Logan will finally kick off against this, insisting that mutants should integrate into the rest of humanity. And will lead the X-Men team that leaves to promote just that.

This is reminiscent of the Xavier/Magneto split but directly reflects the age old problem of population management. Do you isolate or integrate? At extremes you have South Africa and Israel. But even in the melting pots of New York and to a lesser extent London, you have ghettos andareas of ethnic concentration, poth physically and mentally as cultures split and segregate.

And that’s where X-Men is headed. Which side are you on? Reading Generation Hope earlier today, I know which side Hope is on…

And now from WonderCon today;
X-MEN: SCHISM #1 (of 5)

THE BIGGEST MOMENT IN X-MEN HISTORY IS HERE!

This is where it’s all been heading since M-Day and in one controversial moment, Cyclops and Wolverine make decisions that will forever tear the X-Men apart! Superstar writer Jason Aaron, along with a group of superstar artists (Carlos Pacheco, Frank Cho, Daniel Acuna, Alan Davis & Adam Kubert), presents the X-Men mini-series that breaks mutankind and sends shockwaves through the Marvel Universe.

Lines will be drawn and when the sand clears, the X-Men will stand together no more! That’s right—the X-Men, as you know them, are OVER!

And from Marvel;

“We’ll see pretty much everybody in X-MEN SCHISM,” Aaron promises. “It’s a huge cast; all of the X-Men play a part of this. Certainly it’s very much about these two men, Scott and Logan, but also some other important characters as well. Some of the kids play a role in this, like the Five Lights from GENERATION HOPE. We’re also having the return of a character from Grant Morrison’s NEW X-MEN run that’s coming back in a big way. We’re also going to have a brand new Hellfire Club that plays a major role in this.”

A thorn in the X-Men’s side for years, the Hellfire Club has always been steeped in tradition and featured tenured villain such as Sebastian Shaw and even Emma Frost. However, expect the latest iteration of the group to buck all previous trends.

“It’s a brand new take on the Hellfire Club concept,” Aaron says emphatically

Aaron, check, five issues not four, different star artist per issue, check, not Silvestri or McNiven, and not specifically based on Wolverine’s X-Men as opposed to Cyclops.

So not bad. Not great. But not too far off…
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu May 26, 2011 7:00 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:36 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Leckomaniac on Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:13 am

I have to say, the X-Books just keep getting better and better. Kieron Gillen has just been masterful. I was really skeptical about the return of the Breakworld plot, but he pulled it off with ease. And Generation Hope is just massively entertaining. It has the feel of old school X-Men comics. Hope is such an interesting character and the relationship surrounding her are very interesting.

X-Men Legacy is very well written. Carey writes intelligent science fiction and the focus on Legion right now has been cool.

Uncanny X-Force is an action packed bit of badassery.

And X-Factor is always awesome.

I am hopeful Schism will continue to bring the goods. Aaron writes a great Wolverine, let's hope he can write the rest of the X-Men too.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:01 pm

What's your take on Wolverine: The Best There Is ? The art is so ugly that I can't read the freaking stories.
DennisMM

Re: X-Men #1 The 20th Anniversary Edition

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:32 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:55 pm

From Newsarama:
What Your $4.99 Pricepoint Means: A Dollar for 8 Pages of Ads?
Graeme McMillan wrote:Well, this is kind of fascinating.

You’ll remember that Marvel announced last week that Wolverine & The X-Men #1 was dropping in price from $4.99 to $3.99 with, as the official press release said, “no reduction in content!” Imagine my surprise, then, when I see Marvel’s extended forecast for retailers from the end of last week, and find this line:
WOLVERINE AND X-MEN #1 will be 40 pages and $3.99, not 48 pages and $4.99 as solicited.

Let me get this straight: The book has lost no content with this switch from $4.99 to $3.99, but has lost 8 pages. Either one of these announcements is wrong and/or Marvel changed its mind between Wednesday and Friday, or the original solicit was charging a dollar for 8 pages of ads. I’m not sure which I find more believable, but I am sure which I find more depressing.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: X-MEN REGENSIS

Postby TheButcher on Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:56 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:58 pm

The end of Schism has set up, what I believe to be a really creatively exciting X-Universe.

The first issue of Wolverine and the X-Men was highly enjoyable. I thought it was a fantastic success.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Re: Death of Sabretooth

Postby TheButcher on Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:33 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:23 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: The Official X-Thread (Now w/ Space Cyclops!)

Postby TheButcher on Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:39 am

THR:
Marvel Launches 'Cyclops' Into Space With New Solo Comic Series
The longtime leader of the X-Men to go at it alone in a new series, written by Greg Rucka, that's set in outer space.

CBR:
EXCLUSIVE: Greg Rucka Takes "Cyclops" on a Cosmic Road Trip
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:50 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:36 am

‘Probably The Most Incendiary X-Men Story Maybe Ever’Brian Bendis On The Last Will And Testament Of Charles Xavier
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

DOMINO by RUETT & STELFREEZE

Postby TheButcher on Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:57 pm

PRUETT TALKS DOMINO
By: Eric J. Moreels
Editor
Source: X-Fan
Dateline: Thursday, July 5, 2001
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu May 08, 2014 6:39 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu May 08, 2014 6:40 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu May 08, 2014 7:23 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Marc Guggenheim's Grim & Gritty Fantastic X-Men

Postby TheButcher on Fri May 09, 2014 4:15 pm

Marc Guggenheim Takes Over Marvel's 'X-Men'
"Arrow" EP will take over the writing of Marvel's "X-Men" this summer, sending the characters into space for a "darker... more mysterious" take on the series.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

From Days Of Future Past To God Loves, Man Kills

Postby TheButcher on Wed May 28, 2014 6:08 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:28 am

New X-Men “E is for Extinction” Changes Everything for Marvel’s Mutants Grant Morrison Month
Logan Dalton wrote:Grant Morrison uses the foundation of his small X-Men cast and primary villain Cassandra Nova to look at some interesting ideas. The aforementioned two page spread of the Homo Sapiens slaughtering the Neanderthals sets up the entire story arc. The obvious message is that mutants are going to render humans obsolete, probably through violence. But this scene is later revealed to be an elaborate virtual reality hologram created by Cassandra Nova so that she can persuade Donald Trask to give her access to his DNA and control a special new kind of Sentinels. The ambiguity increases when Beast finds out that Nova is a forerunner of a future species that is superior to mutants. Suddenly, the threat of extinction applies to both humans and mutants.

THR 3/13/2014:
Feige: Marvel Studios Won't Swap 'Mutant' for 'Inhuman'
With the movie rights to X-Men and all related concepts residing with Fox, that leaves a noticeable void in the mythology of Marvel Studios’ universe when it comes to particular characters. Namely, what are Marvel’s non-X-Men mutants when they can’t be mutants anymore?
Graeme McMillan wrote:The increased profile of the “Inhuman” concept in Marvel Entertainment’s publishing line — essentially, that regular humans one day wake up with powers and abilities due to genetic heritage they weren’t even aware of — has led some to believe that Marvel’s movies will simply rename “mutants” as “inhumans.” According to Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige, however, that’s not the case.

“Inhumans is something that we are definitely thinking about and we think there’s great potential there for a great movie,” he told the Huffington Post. “But, no, no — we have not linked those two [concepts].” When asked directly whether “inhuman” could become the new “mutant” for the Marvel movies, he replied, “As it relates to Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver? No. No, no, no.”

Welcome To Marvel's Nuhumans... Could That Be The Movie Name?
Rich Johnston wrote:It's no secret that Marvel Comics have been prepping a revival of the Inhumans as a franchise for spinoff comics and potentially a movie some time down the line. In the same manner that the Guardians Of The Galaxy were revived and developed until they were movie-ready. Especially considering that the Inhumans could make a nifty stand-in for the X-Men in the Marvel Universe while Fox hold onto the movie rights.

But is "Inhumans" the right name? Sounds a little inhuman. Or inhumane. Either way it brings to mind reports by Amnesty International rather than a spinoff toy line.

"Nuhumans"
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:53 pm

Marvel’s Plan To Make You Like The Inhumans More Than The X-Men Continues
Bleeding Cool has been telling you how important the Inhumans characters are to the future of the Marvel Universe for some time now.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:36 pm

Marvel Teases Massive 'X-Men' Comic Book Relaunch in Spring 2017
"ResurrXion" will see new series for Iceman, Jean Grey and more.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:19 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Previous

Return to Comic Books