The Official X-Thread (Now w/ Messiah Complex!)

Graphic novels. Weekly rags. The @$$holes.

The Official X-Thread (Now w/ Messiah Complex!)

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:54 pm

EDIT: I've changed this thread to be about all things X-like instead of just Astonishing.

Newsarama has a transcript up for today's press conference with Marvel and Joss HERE, along with some sample art from #13. They don't give away too many specifics as to what's to come, but there's some good stuff.

I cannot wait for this series to return. It has provided me with the absolute best comic book experiences of the past few years, and I'm really excited to see what Whedon and Cassady do with this, their more "internal" second year.

Here's the cover for issue #13:

And here's #14:

Last edited by MasterWhedon on Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:31 pm, edited 5 times in total.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Colin on Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:57 pm

Whoever asked the question about the possibility of a Starjammers/Firefly crossover needs to be shot in the kneecaps.
Colin
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Adam Balm on Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:58 pm

New AICN catch-phrase.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:01 pm

Aww, man...

Kneecaps has been a go-to for a long time...
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Colin on Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:09 pm

It's a standard response to these types of situations.
Colin
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Shane on Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:39 pm

well, I'm sold

|I have not read the transcript yet, does it give a release date?
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:58 pm

Feb. 22nd
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby DennisMM on Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:08 pm

I prefer a more hands-on approach to kneecapping. Stretch the leg out between two chairs and hit the knee really hard with a baseball bat, pipe or crowbar. It lacks the flash of a gun, but it's ever so satisfying.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby The Garbage Man on Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:19 pm

Er... anyway...

While I didn't like their second arc as much as the first, I'm extremely glad both Whedon and Cassaday are back for more and I eagerly anticipate the next twelve issues.

Anyone want to speculate on what else Whedon may be writing for Marvel?
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby burlivesleftnut on Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:34 pm

Man I know this is a sacrilege, but I just don't dig Cassaday's art. It's too static for me. The writing is excellent though, but could stand to be a little more densely plotted. But it has Kitty Pryde and she rules my filthy soul, so... uh whatever.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby cinephile2000 on Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:29 am

There's something about the art, especially in the first arc. In the scene between Nick Fury and Cyclops why does it look like a different artist did Fury? Was it just me?
Just remember, your special like everyone else.
cinephile2000
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby Ribbons on Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:47 am

burlivesleftnut wrote:Man I know this is a sacrilege, but I just don't dig Cassaday's art. It's too static for me. The writing is excellent though, but could stand to be a little more densely plotted. But it has Kitty Pryde and she rules my filthy soul, so... uh whatever.

You're not the first one I've heard say this. I can definitely see where that criticism would come from, and in some ways I agree, but the art's worked fine for me, so far.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby reneritchie on Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:17 am

I quite like Cassaday's art. His ability to produce distinct looking characters is quite impressive. Laura Martin probably helps tons with the overall look. However, I'm not a huge fan of his designs for new characters, either on Planetary or for Danger in X-Men.

I might be in a minority in very much enjoying Whedon's Danger arc as well.

Is the bi-monthly schedule to allow for Cassaday to finish Planetary? I wonder how much the blown release dates hurt the book in last year's overal sales rankings.
reneritchie
GLIB

Postby Shane on Sun Jan 22, 2006 2:58 am

Cassidy is selling like hell now. He is hot shit like it or not. It's about sales and money not what people like and everywere else in any entertainment it holds true. I don't always like that.

I do like Cassidy because of how clean and percise his lines are and how much form he gets with minimal lines.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:07 pm

Cassady's an incredible artist, no doubt. Like I said, he just doesn't convey enough motion for me. His action scenes all look like they are in bullet time from the Matrix or something.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Adam Balm on Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:17 pm

But the kids love him!
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:30 pm

fapfapfapfapfapfapfapfapfapfap
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Adam Balm on Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:35 pm

Um, they don't love him in that way....
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby RogueScribner on Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:39 pm

So by reading this, they've only done 12 issues so far? That's good, I thought I fell way behind, but all I'm missing is #12!
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby MasterWhedon on Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:55 pm

RogueScribner wrote:So by reading this, they've only done 12 issues so far? That's good, I thought I fell way behind, but all I'm missing is #12!

Yeah, only twelve so far and #12 is the best of the whole run!! You MUST, MUST pick it up.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Re: Astonishing X-Men

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Sun Jan 22, 2006 4:24 pm

That is a really nice cover. Bright, stark, and, dare I say it, pretty.

I LOVE the flat, empty RED space. (Or is that more of a Vermillion? Orangey-Red?). Its a real attention grabber and serves to both bring the foreground into sharp focus, and hints at a grand, sweeping, apocalypse on the horizon. Busy backgrounds are such a nuisance. This, however, is simple, direct, and speaks volumes even without narrative context.

That being said, I am so out of the loop on comics it ain't funny; but that's a posterable cover if ever I saw one...
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby reneritchie on Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:13 am

Emma being off away from the team seems to follow Whedon's hints about the upcoming story arc. I wonder if Pete being up front and center is similar, and best cut off, Kitty looking away?
reneritchie
GLIB

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:01 pm

Ok I really enjoyed Astonishing X-Men, but I came in kind of late (around issue 6)...so my question is this...where does Astonishing X-Men fit in the current X-Men continuity?
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MasterWhedon on Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:45 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:Ok I really enjoyed Astonishing X-Men, but I came in kind of late (around issue 6)...so my question is this...where does Astonishing X-Men fit in the current X-Men continuity?

It's the flagship title right now. Basically, after Morrison's New X-Men run ended, Cyclops and Emma decided to re-open the school and re-form the X-Men. That's where Astonishing picks up. X-Men and Uncanny take place alongside it, showing different teams that all live out of the mansion, and New X-Men shows the school from the students' perspective.

You should check out UncannyXMen.Net to catch up on the events of House of M and Decimation, as Astonishing will find itself surrounded by this when it returns.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Coldfire24 on Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:50 pm

Oh ok so Astonishing will be effected by house of M. Cool I read the first 5 loved it I need to read the rest.
Coldfire24
AIRWOLF

Postby MasterWhedon on Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:52 pm

Coldfire24 wrote:Oh ok so Astonishing will be effected by house of M. Cool I read the first 5 loved it I need to read the rest.

Are you STILL drunk?
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Leckomaniac on Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:17 pm

Hey MasterWhedon thanks for clearing that up for me! I don't read Uncanny X-Men, mostly only Ultimate X-Men, and sometimes the regular X-Men title. I did read House of M (although I stopped reading after issue 5 because it just wasn't doing it for me) But I love Astonishing X-Men, it reminds me of the X-Men I remember from my childhood.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MasterWhedon on Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:27 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:Hey MasterWhedon thanks for clearing that up for me! I don't read Uncanny X-Men, mostly only Ultimate X-Men, and sometimes the regular X-Men title. I did read House of M (although I stopped reading after issue 5 because it just wasn't doing it for me) But I love Astonishing X-Men, it reminds me of the X-Men I remember from my childhood.

Glad you enjoy it. Personally, I think it's the best the X-Men have ever been written, and I don't just say that because it's a Whedon book. The characters are just so right, y'know?

Not sure if you know what happened after House of M with the much-ballyhooed Decimation, but basically the Scarlet Witch changed the world back and de-powered a buttload of mutants, leaving only 198 left in the world. Since then, Sentinels have come to "protect" the Xavier Institute and the grounds to the school have become something of a haven/internment camp to any mutants who need shelter.

Not sure how the upcoming run is going to deal with this, but I'm sure it will be at least referenced.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Leckomaniac on Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:36 pm

Yeah I LOVE Astonishing X-Men. The fact that it is not as frequent as other titles only makes me crave it more! Yeah I got caught up with the events of Decimation. I am not too sure how I feel about it all yet. I mean I personally think the whole Infinite Crisis has much bigger sense of urgency, whereas the House of M kept on claiming that this was something huge, but it never really felt that way IMO.

I don't know I am kind of getting sick of all of this gigantic crossover stuff. I just want my X-Men to be like the team from my childhood. I don't need anymore than that.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MasterWhedon on Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:50 pm

I just read X-Factor #3 last night, and I am continually impressed by this book. It's wit and charm are very specific, and very unique in the X-world.

I'm liking Mr. Tryp and Singularity, and I really dig Layla Miller.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:26 pm

Anyone else read X-Men #182. I am a little wary of this title, but the Four Horsemen should look pretty cool. Anyone else have some thoughts on it?
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MasterWhedon on Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:40 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:Anyone else read X-Men #182. I am a little wary of this title, but the Four Horsemen should look pretty cool. Anyone else have some thoughts on it?

I read it. Thought the art was pretty good, though I prefer Larocca's (slightly) older style.

I like that Apocalypse is reemerging, but five issues for his arc doesn't seem like enough time for much of anything to happen. I want to see him kicking around for a year, stirring up some major shit.

Anyway, I'm just kinda waiting around until the new teams take over the books. I'm hoping they'll bring something new and worthwhile.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Colin on Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:09 pm

I just read the first issue of the current story arc. Now, I love the Apocalypse character, but goddamn he's been pussified more than ever now.

And I agree, MW, I too prefer Larroca's older style.

But it's nice to know they're changing up the lineups and giving each book its own identity again.
Colin
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby MasterWhedon on Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:12 pm

Colin wrote:But it's nice to know they're changing up the lineups and giving each book its own identity again.

Yeah, I think that's definitely the best way to handle such a massive number on the team. And FINALLY they're locking Wolverine down to just ONE book!

Joe Quesada said recently that they're thinking about continuing Astonishing after Wheon and Cassady leave. As crappy as it'll be to see them go, it'll be nice to continue that team as the "A" group.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Colin on Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:15 pm

I don't think they'll continue it unless they get someone better than Whedon and Cassaday. It could very well serve as their own "All-Star" book in some capacity.
Colin
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby DirtyRatBastard on Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:34 pm

Colin wrote:I don't think they'll continue it unless they get someone better than Whedon and Cassaday. It could very well serve as their own "All-Star" book in some capacity.

There should be a title that is simply called X-Men:Punky Power.

Then the series would simply deal with X-Men sacrificing themselves for the greater good.
Last edited by DirtyRatBastard on Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
They hate you because they wish they could have seen half the things you have...
DirtyRatBastard
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Colin on Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:41 pm

Shut the fuck up.
Colin
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby DirtyRatBastard on Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:43 pm

Hostility...and language!
They hate you because they wish they could have seen half the things you have...
DirtyRatBastard
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:05 pm

I would hope that they continued Astonishing X-Men after Whedon and Cassady. It would be such a waste if they didn't. I agree about waiting for the lineup change, I mean I only picked up X-Men #182 because it was Apocalypse.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Colin on Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:14 pm

I think it'd be a waste to continue Astonishing after Whedon and Cassaday. It was their own book where they could do pretty much whatever they wanted. Just let them have their fun and can it when they're finished. There's 3 or 4 other X-books out there now anyway, why keep one that won't be as good once the original creators leave?
Colin
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Adam Balm on Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:41 pm

Colin wrote:I think it'd be a waste to continue Astonishing after Whedon and Cassaday. It was their own book where they could do pretty much whatever they wanted. Just let them have their fun and can it when they're finished. There's 3 or 4 other X-books out there now anyway, why keep one that won't be as good once the original creators leave?

And yet it's okay with Ultimates vol. 3.

Hmm, maybe you should take this debate with yourself to the bastard forum until you've settled it.

Grow some. And come back when your voice lowers.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Colin on Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:49 pm

Ultimates 3 is a new book with a new creative team. So yeah, it's okay.
Colin
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Adam Balm on Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:52 pm

It's a new book because they added a number to it. :shock: Can't wait for Astonishing X-Men 2 with Robert Kirkman and Mike Turner.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Colin on Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:57 pm

X-Men, New X-Men, Uncanny X-Men, Astonishing X-Men...just because the Ultimate line isn't as creative with its titles doesn't mean you should knock it, Adam. I mean, taking the FF Zombies and making them the Frightful Four? What's THAT about?
Colin
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby DennisMM on Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:07 pm

My greatest concern post House of M is that Wolverine appear in his own book and ONE X-title on a regular basis. None of this being on two sides of the world with two different teams and hanging out a third place in his own book which is declared to be in current continuity with the others. This isn't '60s DC.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM

Postby Colin on Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:12 pm

Nope, it's Marvel. Same dif.
Colin
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby DennisMM on Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:23 pm

Har-de-har. I can hope, can't I?
DennisMM

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:22 pm

Colin wrote:I think it'd be a waste to continue Astonishing after Whedon and Cassaday. It was their own book where they could do pretty much whatever they wanted. Just let them have their fun and can it when they're finished. There's 3 or 4 other X-books out there now anyway, why keep one that won't be as good once the original creators leave?

I do agree with this, Colin. It'd be nice to see this book be something specific to Whedon and Cassady, but Joe Q recently said the current thought is to continue it after they're gone.

Without seriously pairing down the X-roster (which they should do anyway), there are just too many active X-Men to be contained in two books (I don't really count New X-Men, as it's looks to establish itself as the new New Mutatnts). Having one continue book one with the A-list group of Astonishing would be a nice move.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:23 pm

DennisMM wrote:My greatest concern post House of M is that Wolverine appear in his own book and ONE X-title on a regular basis. None of this being on two sides of the world with two different teams and hanging out a third place in his own book which is declared to be in current continuity with the others. This isn't '60s DC.

I completely agree. With the return of Astonishing, he's only going to be in that X-book, along with Wolverine and Wolverine: Origins.

This is long overdue.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby DennisMM on Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:50 pm

I think being in two solo series at once is too much, unless they establish that the stories are taking place in two different time periods, or that his solo stories are set during X-Men downtime, if such a thing exists anymore (it did, once).
DennisMM

Next

Return to Comic Books