The Official X-Thread (Now w/ Messiah Complex!)

Graphic novels. Weekly rags. The @$$holes.

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:54 pm

* splooges *
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby DennisMM on Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:05 pm

Holy fuck. Dead again?
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby instant_karma on Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:42 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:Image

* splooges *

Cyclops can fly now?

I knew X-Men would go downhill after Grant Morrison left...
instant_karma
Comes in 4 exciting flavours

Postby MasterWhedon on Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:22 pm

AXM #22 SPOILERS

:shock:

So, uh... how cold is space?

There's zero doubt in my mind that the man is still alive, if only because Whedon has talked about how "losing" his powers is going to push Cyclops to be a greater leader than he's ever been. He can't fall back on his powers; instead he only has his strength of will to rely on. And his sacrifice is the perfect summation of this, IMO.

That said, it's all just a ploy for him to get his powers back next issue and be more kickass than ever. The solicitation for the next issue is, after all:

ASTONISHING X-MEN # 23
The Story: “UNSTOPPABLEâ€
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby DennisMM on Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:25 pm

Scott Summers's body, like those of his brothers, absorbs and converts cosmic radiation. The man is a big battery with only one outlet, and that's covered most of the time. Now his one outlet has been blocked. Scott Summers may have enough radiation stored in his body to keep him alive in a vacuum, if only for a short while.

ETA: see below for outraged self-correction.
Last edited by DennisMM on Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DennisMM

Postby MasterWhedon on Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:27 pm

BUT DID HE MAKE EMMA COME?!!!
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby DennisMM on Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:30 pm

She's still hanging around.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM

Postby Chilli on Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:30 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:BUT DID HE MAKE EMMA COME?!!!

Cyclops is a master at controlling energy.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby DennisMM on Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:42 pm

Now I'm pissed. They rewrote Cyke's powers into another extradimensional portal. Little tired of that. It may explain how he focuses kinetic energy through his eyes, but it's not as much fun as the battery idea.
DennisMM

Postby Lady Sheridan on Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:44 pm

Ok, I've skipped past all the spoilers and reviews to scream only HOW DID I MISS THIS?!

It's so weird, I was just rereading all the Astonishing for a lark this week and wondering how long it was delayed.

I bet my nearby shop is all sold out...god damn it, to Ebay I go.
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby Leckomaniac on Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:34 pm

Hot damn...Astonishing X-Men #22 is just ANOTHER home run for Whedon + Cassaday. Seriously. When these team finally hangs it up I am going to be overly depressed. Warren Ellis + Simone Binachi are no substitute for Whedon + Cassaday.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:45 pm

Don't you mock Warren Ellis with your insulting, Warren Ellis avatar. Simone Bianchi ridicule as much as you like.

*sigh* It's not even gonna be close, is it?
DennisMM

Postby Leckomaniac on Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:57 pm

DennisMM wrote:Don't you mock Warren Ellis with your insulting, Warren Ellis avatar. Simone Bianchi ridicule as much as you like.

*sigh* It's not even gonna be close, is it?

Hey, I DO like Warren Ellis. In fact, I literally JUST finished Thunderbolts and Black Summer #2. Both really good reads (well Black Summer #2 was an OK read). However, Whedon was MADE to write Astonishing X-Men. He writes the team perfectly. And John Cassaday? Holy cow. The guy draws circles around Simone Bianchi and most of the artists at Marvel to be honest.

And you sir, are correct, it isn't going to be close. Whedon + Cassaday turned Astonishing X-Men into an event...I have a feeling that the Ellis + Bianchi run will turn into just another X-book.

Oh and I also like Crecy. My avatar isn't meant to mock.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:02 pm

Leck, you've mentioned your liking of Ellis in the past. I assumed that was why you're using the Crecy avatar. What I meant is that the cover itself insults anyone who looks at it. The cover is giving the viewer the two fingers -- a big "fuck you" to anyone who passes.
DennisMM

Postby Leckomaniac on Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:05 pm

DennisMM wrote:Leck, you've mentioned your liking of Ellis in the past. I assumed that was why you're using the Crecy avatar. What I meant is that the cover itself insults anyone who looks at it. The cover is giving the viewer the two fingers -- a big "fuck you" to anyone who passes.

OH!!!!!!!

Sorry, totally missed that. I feel completely stupid. Sorry about that.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:09 pm

No need to be sorry. The first few times I saw it I read it as a peace sign seen from behind - then I remembered how very English the story is and Ellis's black sense of humor. He all but explained the origin of "two fingers" in the last panel of the story and I said, "wow!"
DennisMM

Postby Leckomaniac on Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:12 pm

DennisMM wrote:No need to be sorry. The first few times I saw it I read it as a peace sign seen from behind - then I remembered how very English the story is and Ellis's black sense of humor. He all but explained the origin of "two fingers" in the last panel of the story and I said, "wow!"

Yeah, I totally just took it to be a peace sign surrounded by blood, but it makes WAY more sense if it is playing on the duality of the symbol.

*notices the velacoraptor at his side*

"Clever girl"
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:13 pm

HEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEH!
DennisMM

Postby MasterWhedon on Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:46 pm

Story is up here.

There's also an interview with Mike Carey up HERE re: Messiah Complex and beyond.

NRAMA: Will you be involved with any of the new X-titles being launched?

MC: I will be involved with one of the books that is kind of a solo book—I say ‘kind of’ because although it will follow the fortunes of one particular character, the book will bring in longstanding characters from the X-Universe in significant ways so when you look at the whole thing it will look like less of a solo book and more like a loose team-up book which will resolve a lot of important stuff presented in Messiah Complex.

NRAMA: Is this a character that’s never traditionally had a solo project before?

MC: They’ve never had a solo book before but has been a feature of the landscape—pretty much since day one—so they’ve been around for a very, very long time…

NRAMA: Is that an ongoing?

MC: It’s probably going to stand as a maxi-series but it might lead into an ongoing—and that’s about as much as I can talk about it at this point.

If he ain't talking about Cyclops, I'll eat my hat. And I don't even have a hat!
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Chilli on Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:47 pm

I REALLLY need to catch up with X-Men comics.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby burlivesleftnut on Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:22 pm

Well Whedo, Cyclops has had a couple minis, so I doubt it. Besides how boring would that be?!@?/
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:24 pm

The first issue of Messiah Complex has hit. I can't read it because I am out of the country, but I can't wait to get back and read this!
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:41 pm

Did anyone else's head explode after reading Astonishing #23? 'Cause mine did. I was giddy like an f-in' school girl.

Wow. Absolutely my favorite run of X-Men. Ever.

In other news, Messiah Complex is turning out pretty well. I haven't cared for Brubaker's X-work so far (and since it's all I've read of his, I'm not getting the hype), but he's doing a nice job. Things like bringing X-Factor into the mansion and having Xavier interact with the "standard" crew again are starting to make the X-world feel a little more cohesive. I hope the story holds up.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Lady Sheridan on Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:28 pm

I'm at a loss as to where to buy my comic books. There's rumors of a coffee shop/geek store by me, but who knows if they are true. I'm contemplating buying a Marvel subscription--is that a good idea or is it a total rip off? I don't know anyone who owns a Marvel subscription and there must be a reason why.

I'm sick of doing Internet hunts for copies of Astonishing. :x
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:29 pm

Lady Sheridan wrote:I'm at a loss as to where to buy my comic books. There's rumors of a coffee shop/geek store by me, but who knows if they are true. I'm contemplating buying a Marvel subscription--is that a good idea or is it a total rip off? I don't know anyone who owns a Marvel subscription and there must be a reason why.

You get the comics cheaper through subscription, but i doubt you'll get them on time.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:16 pm

Anyone having trouble finding a nearby comics shop can do a search at http://www.comicshoplocator.com

Diamond wants you to know how to make them money.

Lady S. I pm'd you some results for your suburban zone.
DennisMM

Postby Lady Sheridan on Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:49 pm

I never get my comics on time as it is, I didn't get Astonishing #22 for a month and I ordered it from a store that very week. Sigh.

I used the comic book shop locater, but I'm skeptical of the results. I've never been able to find the Ken Caryl store, I think it's long gone. The Mile High disappeared a few months ago. I really have a hard time believing a geek coffee shop exists out here, but I'm keen to find it.

I should open up my own damn comic book store. I'd be rich off the suburban husbands needing their Spider-Man!
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby DennisMM on Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:56 pm

Hey, call the coffee shop. It can't hurt!

Edit: I just did. The guy who answered the phone said they carry "pretty much" a full line of comics.

South Colorado and E-470. Check it out when you're back, LS, and give us the geek lowdown.
Last edited by DennisMM on Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DennisMM

Postby RogueScribner on Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:00 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:
Lady Sheridan wrote:I'm at a loss as to where to buy my comic books. There's rumors of a coffee shop/geek store by me, but who knows if they are true. I'm contemplating buying a Marvel subscription--is that a good idea or is it a total rip off? I don't know anyone who owns a Marvel subscription and there must be a reason why.

You get the comics cheaper through subscription, but i doubt you'll get them on time.

Yeah, I have a sub for AXM but I haven't received the latest issue yet. Hopefully sometime next week.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby minstrel on Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:10 pm

Drat. I used the link Dennis posted to see if there were any comic shops in my area and it said there's one practically RIGHT AROUND THE CORNER FROM ME!!

Sheesh. Now I'll have to check it out. And probably buy comics. I haven't bought comics in ten years!

That's all I need - something ELSE to spend money on!
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby DennisMM on Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:12 pm

CONFORM ... CON-FORM ... CONNNNNN-FORRRRRMMMMM
DennisMM

Postby burlivesleftnut on Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:41 pm

Okay I agree with Whedo, ASM 23 was all kinds of brilliant. Couple that with the official start of Messiah CompleX in Uncanny, and I am actually starting to dig Cyclops.

I was really thrilled with Uncanny though. It was like a real superhero book again! I love me some superheroics. Too bad I have to wade through X-Factor comics as part of this crossover. God I hate it.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby MasterWhedon on Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:57 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:I was really thrilled with Uncanny though. It was like a real superhero book again! I love me some superheroics. Too bad I have to wade through X-Factor comics as part of this crossover. God I hate it.

WHA?! :shock:

Regarding Uncanny--I think I've said this before, but am I the only one who doesn't care for Billy Tan? His characters all look so stiff and bulky. They pose awkwardly and their facial features often look distorted. Every now and again he delivers some nice panels, but there's nothing about his style I really care for.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby burlivesleftnut on Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:56 pm

Shocking, ain't I! MY OPINIONS ARE MADNESS!

I am guessing Billy Tan drew the most recent issue of Uncanny? Has he been on the book for a while or is he knew to the series? Regardless I loved the art in this issue, especially his rendering of Wolverine.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby DennisMM on Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:06 pm

I'm with you, Whedo - I don't get people who dislike X-Factor. It's only the second-best mutant book, after all.
DennisMM

Postby MasterWhedon on Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:37 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:I am guessing Billy Tan Grande Rojo's favorite person the most recent issue of Uncanny? Has he been on the book for a while or is he knew to the series? Regardless I loved the art in this issue, especially his rendering of Wolverine.

He came on w/ Brubaker and drew most of the Shi'ar arc (with a few fill-ins). I did think his Wolverine was nice in a few frames, but everything else felt sorta... clunky.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Leckomaniac on Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:40 pm

DennisMM wrote:I'm with you, Whedo - I don't get people who dislike X-Factor. It's only the second-best mutant book, after all.

X-Factor is like heaven. I love that book so much. I haven't read the new issue of AXM because I am overseas, but I can't wait to get home and check it out.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Vegeta on Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:58 pm

Very impressed with Astonishing #23. #22 felt like such a let down, but now it all makes sense. Gotta dig it!
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby Lady Sheridan on Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:16 am

I'm STILL without Astonishing #23--Enchanted Grounds was located, but whoever does their comic buying sucks. They clearly have no idea what the hot titles are so that enough are stocked.

To the Internet I go. I really think I'll just buy a damn subscription, comic stores are pissing me off.
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby DennisMM on Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:54 am

Get a hold file started at Enchanted Grounds. Some stores don't require you to take more than a few titles.

I was not feeling well Saturday and so did not get out to Halley's Comics for my weekly dose of funnybooks and felines. So I'll have to wait for this weekend to see how Scott gets out of his jam and if Miss Max the girl cat wants her head rubbed or not.
DennisMM

Postby Leckomaniac on Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:25 pm

!!!!!!!!!

Did anyone see the sneak peek at Marvel's Feb. Previews???

GIANT SIZE ASTONISHING X-MEN #1!!!!!!

FRAKKIN EH!!!!
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby RogueScribner on Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:59 am

I got my AEM in the mail late last week. It was a good read, and one particular two-page spread was awesome to behold. ;)
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:09 pm

Has anyone been keeping up with Messiah Complex? It has been a real solid story thus far. I was really worried about allowing the creative teams of each title to handle their individual chapters, but it hasn't been a jarring experience at all. The fact is that all the X books have a solid team behind them.

I am enjoying Messiah Complex way more than WWH or Civil War. I think this and Sinestro War should be the models for events like this. Allow the events to unfold in the titles themselves. Leave the spin-offs and what not out of it.

What do you folks think?
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Spifftacular SquirrelGirl on Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:20 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:Has anyone been keeping up with Messiah Complex? It has been a real solid story thus far. I was really worried about allowing the creative teams of each title to handle their individual chapters, but it hasn't been a jarring experience at all. The fact is that all the X books have a solid team behind them.

I am enjoying Messiah Complex way more than WWH or Civil War. I think this and Sinestro War should be the models for events like this. Allow the events to unfold in the titles themselves. Leave the spin-offs and what not out of it.

What do you folks think?

It'd be really nice if that did catch on but with the whole Secret Skrull Invasion and Final Crisis we're still probalby a ways out from seeing that. I'm glad to hear that the new X crossover has been pretty good so far. :D
Spifftacular SquirrelGirl
AIRWOLF

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:32 pm

It has been VERY good so far. Lots of clever twists and turns. And the big thing is that the characterization has been spot on, which is always an issue when you are dealing with a massive crossover.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:38 pm

I don't like that they will be pushing Wolfsbane out of X-Factor into the new X-Force. I do like that they set this in a slightly different times period so that Whedon wasn't forced to shoehorn the crossover into AXM.
DennisMM

Postby MasterWhedon on Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:49 pm

Messiah Complex has been pretty consistently awesome so far, and the reveal of Bishop at the end of Chapter 9 is exciting. I suppose the "M" on Future Jamie's face indicates Bishop's new mission is to prevent this future--maybe his future--from happening, even if it means the baby's life. Has Cable been protecting the child from Bishop all along?

I like that maybe Bishop is the ultimate X-traitor after all. It could be a really nice "third act" for his character, since IMO he should've died in the fight against Onslaught years ago. Once he'd prevented the X-traitor (Xavier/Onslaught) from killing the team as had happened in his timeline, that was really the end of his function. He could've died a hero; instead he's tap danced around without a purpose for years.

Good stuff all around.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:51 pm

DennisMM wrote:I don't like that they will be pushing Wolfsbane out of X-Factor into the new X-Force. I do like that they set this in a slightly different times period so that Whedon wasn't forced to shoehorn the crossover into AXM.

Well I am pretty sure that Wolfsbane can be in both X-Force AND X-Factor. I mean if Wolverine can be everywhere at once so can she. I mean X-Force exists for a pretty specific purpose and they could very easily have her in both titles. Or at least I hope they can do that because messing with X-Factor would make me very angry.

I am quite afraid that this could mean that Rictor won't survive his undercover work and that Wolfbane is going to go all dark and join X-Force looking for revenge.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MasterWhedon on Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:00 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:
DennisMM wrote:I don't like that they will be pushing Wolfsbane out of X-Factor into the new X-Force. I do like that they set this in a slightly different times period so that Whedon wasn't forced to shoehorn the crossover into AXM.

Well I am pretty sure that Wolfsbane can be in both X-Force AND X-Factor. I mean if Wolverine can be everywhere at once so can she. I mean X-Force exists for a pretty specific purpose and they could very easily have her in both titles. Or at least I hope they can do that because messing with X-Factor would make me very angry.

I am quite afraid that this could mean that Rictor won't survive his undercover work and that Wolfbane is going to go all dark and join X-Force looking for revenge.

The solicit for #28 shows Rhane leaving with duffel bag in hand for its cover (classic X-goodbye!), and the description for #29 says "with Rhane already being gone."
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:15 pm

Son of a bitch.

Rictor is not on that cover. If Rhane was leaving, he would be there to say goodbye...unless he were already dead.

I have a feeling Rictor is in a for a "heroic" death before Messiah Complex is over.

Yargh!!!!!!
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

PreviousNext

Return to Comic Books