The Official X-Thread (Now w/ Messiah Complex!)

Graphic novels. Weekly rags. The @$$holes.

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:53 pm

The Origins title is supposed to deal specifically with all the memories he got back in House of M. I don't know if it'll be a flashback structure or if it'll be strictly in the past, but he'll be back in the orange and brown costume. The Wolverine title is supposed to just continue his exploits in the current Marvel world.

Personally, I'd rather this only be one title, as where Wolverine should go from here is into the past to figure shit out, a la the "Origins and Endings" arc we have going on now.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:54 pm

Ed Brubaker reveals his Uncanny lineup and stoy details HERE.

The team is Nightcrawler, Marvel Girl, Havok, Warpath, Professor X, Polaris, and a character yet to be revealed.

This all looks all right, but I've never been a huge fan of the Shi'ar. I'm most interested in seeing the team's reaction to Professor Xavier after Astonishing #12, House of M and Deadly Genesis.

Speaking of which, I have to go pick up #4 today. Kid Vulcan--WTF?
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:36 pm

Brubaker will own Uncanny X-Men! I loved Daredevil #82 and his Captain America!
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Alex DeLarge on Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:38 pm

There was a cool interview with Whedon in Wizard, there wasnt any new info in it but he taked about what his teams would be for The Avengers, JLA and another X-men group. he also said that if he was to start writing for another team or super hero or whatever it would Captain America.
Alex DeLarge
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:39 pm

Alex DeLarge wrote:There was a cool interview with Whedon in Wizard, there wasnt any new info in it but he taked about what his teams would be for The Avengers, JLA and another X-men group. he also said that if he was to start writing for another team or super hero or whatever it would Captain America.

:shock:

Must... own...

Is it in this month's Wizard?
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Alex DeLarge on Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:42 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:
Alex DeLarge wrote:There was a cool interview with Whedon in Wizard, there wasnt any new info in it but he taked about what his teams would be for The Avengers, JLA and another X-men group. he also said that if he was to start writing for another team or super hero or whatever it would Captain America.

Must... own...

Is it in this month's Wizard?

pretty sure
there is also interviews with Kelsy Grammer, Kate Bosworth, and the guy behind the Batman and Justice League shows and an 8 page preview of Silver Moon.
Alex DeLarge
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby DennisMM on Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:44 pm

I picked it up a few weeks ago. It's a good interview that suffers from the typical Wizard problems of reading as if a teenager asked the questions and having the responses cut to the bone. Got to have more room for those action-figure pages.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby MasterWhedon on Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:57 pm

So, I just read Generation M #4 last night, and I have to say I'm really liking the series. Parts of it have dragged, much of the dialogue is weak and I really don't care for the art (except the covers, which are great), but the idea of the series is really strong.

Seeing Chamber de-powered in #1 was the most shocking piece of the series thus far. He was one of my favorite "lesser" characters for quite a while, and I'm kinda sad to see how he ended up, but it fits well with the Decimation tragedy.

Warren Worthington's shrivveld up wings in #4 were pretty nice. I like that one of the X-Men is legitimately taken out of the picture, not in some cop out way like what they did with Iceman.

Oh, and seeing Beak in his "human" form was a really beautiful moment. I always thought he was a bit pitiful, and now he can find some happiness.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Leckomaniac on Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:03 pm

I know Angel lost his wings, but in one of the X-Books didn't it say that he still had his powers? I read an interview over at UXN and they also mentioned that same thing.

Also, ASTONISHING X-MEN NEXT WEEK!!!! I am super excited!
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MasterWhedon on Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:21 pm

WTF?! Ryan Sook is leaving X-Factor?! Story is up HERE.

Color me disappointed.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby RogueScribner on Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:37 pm

Has issue #13 of Astonishing hit yet? I preordered that ages ago!
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby MasterWhedon on Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:38 pm

RogueScribner wrote:Has issue #13 of Astonishing hit yet? I preordered that ages ago!

This Wednesday.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby RogueScribner on Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:39 pm

Cool. :)
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby DennisMM on Sun Feb 19, 2006 4:28 pm

I visited my comics shop yesterday and found there were no holds for me that week. I asked about Astonishing and was told it's due this week. Aagh! I want my Whedon/Cassaday. I treated myself to New X-Men v. 4, "Riot at Xavier's". A bit disappointing after the strength of the first three volumes.
DennisMM

Postby Colin on Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:27 pm

Anyone know when the first Astonishing X-Men hardcover's coming out?
Colin
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Theta on Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:49 pm

DennisMM wrote:I prefer a more hands-on approach to kneecapping. Stretch the leg out between two chairs and hit the knee really hard with a baseball bat, pipe or crowbar. It lacks the flash of a gun, but it's ever so satisfying.

But if you place the shotgun just right, the kneecap goes flying! It's hilarious!

Anyway, I'm not usually a fan of the X-books, but "Astonishing" lives up to its name and I'm really enjoying "X-Factor." The "Madrox" miniseries was very well done and I'm excited Peter David gets to do a monthly series of it. I especially like David's skill at making characters swing from comic relief to ominous and back again. Layla's demonstration of just how much she "knows stuff" comes to mind.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby Alex DeLarge on Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:57 pm

I just picked up Astonishing X-Men vol 1, I liked it alot but I havent read Ultimate X-Men so there were somethings that confused me. What happened to Jean Grey? What happened to Xavier? How did Colossus "die"? How did the mansion get destroyed? And is Ultimate X-Men even worth reading? I read the first issue and it really didnt catch me but maybe it improves.
Alex DeLarge
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby DennisMM on Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:22 am

Alex, this is the best X-site I know of:

http://www.uncannyxmen.net/default.asp

Xavier and Jean were dealt with in the Grant Morrison New X-Men run (approximately #115-150; I don't have the numbers handy). Colossus's "death" was tied to the Legacy Virus (I was out of touch during this period).
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM

Postby The Garbage Man on Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:49 am

Alex DeLarge wrote:I just picked up Astonishing X-Men vol 1, I liked it alot but I havent read Ultimate X-Men so there were somethings that confused me. What happened to Jean Grey? What happened to Xavier? How did Colossus "die"? How did the mansion get destroyed? And is Ultimate X-Men even worth reading? I read the first issue and it really didnt catch me but maybe it improves.

Astonishing X-Men has nothing at all to do with Ultimate X-Men. They are in completely different universes.
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:57 pm

Astonishing X-Men TOMORROW!
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MasterWhedon on Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:49 pm

You can check out the cover and the first three pages for Astonishing #13 HERE.

Just in that brief conversation, things already be shooken nicely.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:02 pm

Silverbulletcomicbooks.com has a couple advance reviews for Astonishing X-Men #13. They were not all that impressed, but they all seem jealous.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MasterWhedon on Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:05 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:Silverbulletcomicbooks.com has a couple advance reviews for Astonishing X-Men #13. They were not all that impressed, but they all seem jealous.

Yeah, I saw they were up. I bookmarked the page to read after I've read the issue.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:06 pm

Yeah I was real tempted to read them. I mostly skimmed, trying to avoid any potential spoilers. Just mainly saw their critiques, which are more of the same. Everyone who rags on this book always says the same thing, and I just don't buy it. I love this book to death.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MasterWhedon on Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:15 pm

Bought it. Read it. Loved it.

It's a much, much smaller issue. Not much happens, but a great deal happens--if that makes sense.

Beautiful character work and dialogue, as always. Nice foundation for the ensuing conflict.

I'll have to read it again after work, but I was really pleased.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby DennisMM on Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:25 pm

It sounds nice. I like quiet moments between battles to save the Earth. Those preview pages gave me quite the thrill.
DennisMM

Postby Coldfire24 on Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:56 pm

I'm just getting into this whole comic book thing but i've liked what i've read so far. The whole house of M thing was cool. I just got done reading New X-men with Black Volture..interesting...Do you think he could be the unnamed mutant in that new x-men team?
Coldfire24
AIRWOLF

Postby MasterWhedon on Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:06 pm

Coldfire24 wrote:I'm just getting into this whole comic book thing but i've liked what i've read so far. The whole house of M thing was cool. I just got done reading New X-men with Black Volture..interesting...Do you think he could be the unnamed mutant in that new x-men team?

The unnamed guy in Uncanny is supposed to be someone who comes out of Deadly Genesis. I'm thinking it won't be Kid Vulcan, as Brubaker is using him as a villain, so probably one of the other kids Moira was teaching. Maybe Darwin or that time portal girl.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby DennisMM on Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:10 pm

Approximately 200 mutants are left on Earth (out of something like 15 million after the Genosha massacre) and it would appear a quarter of them have direct ties to the X-Men. Sloppy storytelling, IMO. Marvel was given a chance to do things differently, in a big way, but that wouldn't keep the coffers full, I guess.
DennisMM

Postby MasterWhedon on Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:27 pm

DennisMM wrote:Approximately 200 mutants are left on Earth (out of something like 15 million after the Genosha massacre) and it would appear a quarter of them have direct ties to the X-Men. Sloppy storytelling, IMO. Marvel was given a chance to do things differently, in a big way, but that wouldn't keep the coffers full, I guess.

I agree completely, though I'll accept the explanation that Wanda had some say over who lost their powers and who kept them. What I won't accept it the bullshit where Iceman loses his powers and them gets them back ONE ISSUE LATER.

"Mental block" my ass. There wasn't time to have a mental block.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:16 pm

Come now... no one else bought this?

Well, I bought a few other books as well, but the only other I had a chace to read was Ultimate Wolverine vs. Hulk #2. THAT is a pretty bitchin' book. Nice twists and turns. Clever surprises. Damon Lindelof should write more comics.

Can't wait to see the fight next issue.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby DennisMM on Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:29 pm

Most weeks I don't get my comics until Saturday, because I get off work just when my shop closes. I'll take a look at it then and probably will add to my hold list.
DennisMM

Postby Leckomaniac on Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:54 am

I just read Astonishing X-Men and wow! This is a great way to start up again...I can't WAIT to see what is to come!
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Coldfire24 on Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:50 pm

Yeah the iceman thing was cheap and ultimate Wolvie vs Hulk is teh bomb but I didn't read the first issue did the first one explain all the hot chicks on the hulk?
Coldfire24
AIRWOLF

Postby RogueScribner on Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:03 am

I'm still awaiting delivery by mail. I guess that's what I get by ordering comics via the internet.
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Leckomaniac on Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:06 am

Quick question, I have heard a lot of good buzz about X-Factor...so my question is what does this comic revolve around? I mean what type of book is it? And where does it fit in the X-Men continuity?
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby RogueScribner on Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:24 am

So I just reread issues 7 - 12 of Astonishing. Pretty cool stuff. I especially liked Kitty Pride in the last couple issues. :)

I also read #13 and loved Wolverine's scene with the children in the beginning. I guess interesting things are afoot with dear Emma. I see drama in the near future. ;)
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:16 pm

Did anyone happen to pick up Astonishing #14 yesterday? Because I did... and wow. Just fucking wow.

I have to read it again, as it's a somewhat-trippy experience, but holy shit was that awesome.

So tiny, so small, so intimate.

I will point back to this issue in years as one of my favorites. This is the issue that deals with Cyclops' issues. This is the issue that changes him forever.

He's always been my favorite X-Man for his stand-up, take-charge, I'm-a-hero-ness, but, as Ginger pointed out in another thread, he's a little messed up in the head. Now, finally, it looks like Emma's cleared it for him.

FUCK. ING. A.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Adam Balm on Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:08 am

MasterWhedon wrote:He's always been my favorite X-Man for his stand-up, take-charge, I'm-a-hero-ness

New custom rank?
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby RogueScribner on Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:26 am

MasterWhedon wrote:Did anyone happen to pick up Astonishing #14 yesterday? Because I did... and wow. Just fucking wow.

I have to read it again, as it's a somewhat-trippy experience, but holy shit was that awesome.

I will point back to this issue in years as one of my favorites. This is the issue that deals with Cyclops' issues. This is the issue that changes him forever.

He's always been my favorite X-Man for his stand-up, take-charge, I'm-a-hero-ness, but, as Ginger pointed out in another thread, he's a little messed up in the head. Now, finally, it looks like Emma's cleared it for him.

FUCK. ING. A.

Well, after I read the last issue, I decided to subscribe direct with Marvel. I haven't seen it yet, so hopefully it'll come soon.
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Colin on Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:34 am

MasterWhedon wrote:Did anyone happen to pick up Astonishing #14 yesterday? Because I did... and wow. Just fucking wow.

FUCK. ING. A.

It was very good, wasn't it?
Colin
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:24 pm

what I loved about the issue wasn't the Cyclops stuff (tho' that was good) but the Kitty and Colossus kinkiness...I was on the shitter when I read it, so I didn't PAMP, but damn if my colon didn't suddenly become unblocked!
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MasterWhedon on Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:34 pm

Adam Balm wrote:
MasterWhedon wrote:He's always been my favorite X-Man for his stand-up, take-charge, I'm-a-hero-ness

New custom rank?

Hmmmm...........
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Leckomaniac on Sun Apr 30, 2006 3:43 am

Ok so I just read Astonishing X-Men #14. This title has been one of the most consistent titles in recent memory. Every single issue thus far has had my jaw on the floor. This issue was no exception.

Sorry MasterWhedon, but I never really liked Cyclops. As a kid I just got sick of his, to borrow your phrase, I'm-a-hero-ness. Just such a boy scout.

But this issue made me have a deeper appreciation of Cyclops as a character now. Good work Joss!
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby RogueScribner on Sun May 07, 2006 1:09 am

I still haven't received AXM #14 yet. The reason I plunked down for a subscription was to avoid having to hunt down issues and just get them as they're released. *sigh*
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby RogueScribner on Tue May 09, 2006 1:41 am

"You sick bitch."

"Oh my god!"

I finally received AXM 14. What a great read. I've never been partial to Cyclops, but I certainly felt for him this issue. And something's definitely brewing in the background . . .
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Sat Jun 03, 2006 3:20 pm

More evidence that we are slowly but surely entering the post-apocalyptic
world depicted in comics, films, and novels for decades; check out this lil'
bit of comic bookian prophecy c/o Chris Claremont circa 1984, The
Uncanny XMen issue 189 vol. 1...

Rachel Summers, daughter of Scott Summers and Jean Grey in an
alternate dystopian future -- 21st century Neo-Fascist USA; where
mutants are hunted down, murdered, and/or put into concentration
camps -- muses about the fate of the World Trade Center:

(sorry about the wonky photobucket resizing, hopefully you can
read it all okay):

Spooky, no? Over 20 years before Emperor Darth Cheney gave the go
ahead to Osama to launch the attack, Marvel Comics predicted the
outcome...
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby DennisMM on Sat Jun 03, 2006 3:29 pm

After two issues of Origins I'm a little disappointed. The scripts are passable and Dillon is, as always, talented when handling emotion and dialogue. He is not an action artist, though; the action scenes feel like film stills rather than film. John Cassaday has been accused of this, also, but I find his work livelier. It's too bad, as Dillon is a fine artist.
DennisMM

Postby MasterWhedon on Sat Jun 03, 2006 3:38 pm

ZombieZoneSolutions wrote:Image

outcome...

Perhaps those government folks were right about terrorists getting all these crazy ideas from those silly, silly creative types.

Or perhaps Claremont is one of them...

Round up the usual suspects!!
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Sat Jun 03, 2006 3:57 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:
ZombieZoneSolutions wrote:Image

outcome...

Perhaps those government folks were right about terrorists getting all these crazy ideas from those silly, silly creative types.

Or perhaps Claremont is one of them...

Round up the usual suspects!!

Ha ha! Totally. Get ready for COMICS CODE 2: Homeland Insecurity Edition.
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

PreviousNext

Return to Comic Books