Thor's Comic Column

Graphic novels. Weekly rags. The @$$holes.

Thor's Comic Column

Postby burlivesleftnut on Tue Aug 09, 2005 2:33 pm

Thor's new column is up... the only decent column at CHUD.com:

THOR!!!

Rocketo sounds interesting.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Tue Aug 09, 2005 2:50 pm

Yeah, the Dino, he was a checking that out too, eh? I also think a the Alex Ross book sounds interesting, no?
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby burlivesleftnut on Tue Aug 09, 2005 2:52 pm

Well it sounds interesting for a few reasons for me. Since I am not collecting anymore, I like that it takes place somewhere outside of modern continuity. Also, my view of Alex Ross being a bitchy queen has mellowed somewhat. Also... its the fucking justice league vs. legion of doom.

I won't buy it though... would rather just wait for the classy hardcover.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby The Garbage Man on Tue Aug 09, 2005 2:56 pm

As much as I like the Thor column, they need to tone down the raging hard-ons they have for some creators.

You're right, Rocketo could be very cool. The Superfriends fan in me is crying out for a copy of Justice.
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Tue Aug 09, 2005 2:57 pm

I'm inna the same boat as a you Burl... The Dino, he no longer collect either, so I like a the one-shot stories, like a the Marvel 1602, etc.

Personally though, I donna get the hate that a follows Ross. His a pictures, they simply transcend the medium, eh? Is he a bitchy queen? I dinna hear that, but I chalk it uppa to his a artistic personna.

Iffa you gonna wait for a the hardcover, it's a gonna be like 2 or 3 years, no? 12-issue series, bi-monthly?
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby burlivesleftnut on Tue Aug 09, 2005 3:03 pm

Start here and enjoy!
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Adam Balm on Tue Aug 09, 2005 3:08 pm

From the opening line (“It’s been ten silent years since the last great adventure…”) you get the sense that the series is not only going to be special, but epic.

The fuck?
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Tue Aug 09, 2005 3:29 pm

Yeah... spazzy writing. We hail from AICN... it's where spazzy writing was founded. I think Harry may have an institute or something.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby lyra belacqua on Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:04 pm

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote: so I like a the one-shot stories, like a the Marvel 1602, etc.

I just read 1602 and loved it. Then I read that they're continuing with a different writer (some guy I've never heard of, but then I haven't heard of most, of course I've read Neil, that's why I picked it up). I hadn't read comics for all the characters in 1602, so somethings I'm sure I didn't get, but it made me interested in them. My problem is that I don't like incomplete stories, so I never know exactly where to start or even which comics are good. However, 1602 seemed like a great comic book to start out someone in comics.
lyra belacqua
GEEK GODDESS

Postby bluebottle on Tue Aug 09, 2005 6:38 pm

I'll pick up the Ross book tomorrow, and tell y'all how it is.
(fortunately for me, my local comic book shop is a thirty second walk)
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:00 am

Speaking of a the 1602, here's a the interesting link onna the Virginia Dare:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virginia_Dare
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby lyra belacqua on Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:28 am

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:Speaking of a the 1602, here's a the interesting link onna the Virginia Dare:

I already looked that up, when I couldn't figure out if she was a new character or a Marvel correlated character. Plus, I kinda teach about "Lost Colony" when I teach Singer's short story "Lost."
lyra belacqua
GEEK GODDESS

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:30 pm

Well, I'm a just a starting to read it now... 1602, that is. It arrived inna the villa just yesterday, eh? Next uppa for a the Dino is a the "Marvels" by Ross, anna then "Ultimates."

The Dino, he love a the Marvel funny books...
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby Adam Balm on Wed Aug 10, 2005 1:46 pm

Marvels is damn fine, and the Ultimates owns the bone. You will not be disappointed.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:02 pm

That croatoan shit always freaks me ass out.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:48 pm

Bluebottle wrote:I'll pick up the Ross book tomorrow, and tell y'all how it is.

Well?
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby DennisMM on Wed Aug 10, 2005 5:48 pm

Adam Balm wrote:Marvels is damn fine, and the Ultimates owns the bone. You will not be disappointed.

"The Ultimates" is basically Millar being permitted to do with Marvel characters what he did with "The Authority." The recyclinlg doesn't mean it's any less great. If memory serves, "The Ultimates" is the only "mainstream superhero" book I read.
Last edited by DennisMM on Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby DennisMM on Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:07 pm

lyra belacqua wrote:
DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:Speaking of a the 1602, here's a the interesting link onna the Virginia Dare:

I already looked that up, when I couldn't figure out if she was a new character or a Marvel correlated character.

Oh, lyra, lyra ... and you a teacher.

Just kidding. It's pretty obscure. I might not have heard about it had I not read Harlan Ellison's "Croatoan."
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM

Postby DennisMM on Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:28 pm

lyra belacqua wrote:My problem is that I don't like incomplete stories, so I never know exactly where to start or even which comics are good. However, 1602 seemed like a great comic book to start out someone in comics.

Trade paperback collections are the way to go. They might be the greatest idea anyone in the comics biz ever had.

Try these and more:"Starman," "Global Frequency," "Preacher," the "Sandman" collections (though I suspect you have some of those), "The Ultimates," "Transmetropolitan," "Swamp Thing," "Hellblazer," "Promethea," "Top Ten," "Powers," "Batman: The Dark Knight Returns," "Daredevil: Born Again," the "Sin City" collections.

There are many UK creators there. Hmm. I'd start with the first TP of "Global Frequency." Of late I'm entranced by Warrem Ellis.

You may well be able to get some of these through Interlibrary Loan.
DennisMM

Postby Adam Balm on Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:02 pm

I'd add to that Jimmy Corrigan by Chris Ware, Ghost World by Dan Clowes, Blankets by Craig Thompson, Sleepwalk and Summer Blonde by Adrian Tomine...

If you're a manga fan, I'd add to that Akira (it's in several volumes), Ghost in the Shell, 2001 Nights, Battle Angel Alita...what am I forgetting....
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:20 pm

Adam Balm wrote:I'd add to that Jimmy Corrigan by Chris Ware, Ghost World by Dan Clowes, Blankets by Craig Thompson, Sleepwalk and Summer Blonde by Adrian Tomine...

If you're a manga fan, I'd add to that Akira (it's in several volumes), Ghost in the Shell, 2001 Nights, Battle Angel Alita...what am I forgetting....

Good ideas, Adam. I'm not feeling up to snuff today and shorted the non-costume work.

Lone Wolf and Cub! 28 volumes from Dark Horse, most of which can be read individually without needing prior experience.
DennisMM

Postby lyra belacqua on Thu Aug 11, 2005 1:24 am

DennisMM wrote:
lyra belacqua wrote:

I already looked that up, when I couldn't figure out if she was a new character or a Marvel correlated character.

Oh, lyra, lyra ... and you a teacher.
Just kidding. It's pretty obscure. I might not have heard about it had I not read Harlan Ellison's "Croatoan."

Don't make me sound stupid. :wink: I knew the story of the RL Virginia Dare. I just didn't know if her 1602 character (in which she transforms to white things) was a take-off of a character already in Marvel canon or if it was a creation of Neil. I mean, just her name alone would make me think Marvel had already ripped it off.

And
Try these and more:"Starman," "Global Frequency," "Preacher," the "Sandman" collections (though I suspect you have some of those), "The Ultimates," "Transmetropolitan," "Swamp Thing," "Hellblazer," "Promethea," "Top Ten," "Powers," "Batman: The Dark Knight Returns," "Daredevil: Born Again," the "Sin City" collections.

I'd add to that Jimmy Corrigan by Chris Ware, Ghost World by Dan Clowes, Blankets by Craig Thompson, Sleepwalk and Summer Blonde by Adrian Tomine...

Thank you. I always appreciate recomendations. These will keep me busy for a while. And I only buy trade papers; I refuse to buy issues.
I devoured "Preacher" (thanks to some AICN TBers-sometimes they're good for something). I started "Hellblazer" about 2 years ago and never returned, it just didn't grab me like "Preacher." I liked what I read of the "Sin City" collections. Really, my soft spot is for X-Men, but there are too many different titles that I kind of pick and chose and it pissed me off. I tried again with Whedon's X-Men (because I love his TV shows and I loved Fray) and I enjoyed it, even though I had to look up references he made on the Internet. So, if someone wants to lead me through the maze of X-Men comics out there, I'll appreciate it. :D
lyra belacqua
GEEK GODDESS

Postby banthafodderUK on Thu Aug 11, 2005 5:06 am

Preacher is cool - (Think it was Glen Fabry that got me interested) - fave character????

got to be arse-face
wii code 0186 4330 3469 8398 use it mofo's!
banthafodderUK
AIRWOLF

Postby banthafodderUK on Thu Aug 11, 2005 5:41 am

Dennis - I completely agree mate. I've all but stopped getting the monthly titles, I prefer to get the trade paperback /graphic novels.

It was hard to go cold turkey and stop all my out-of-control comic subscriptions, but it had to be done. My friend at the comic shop was like a crack dealer, always managing to find something extra he knew i'd HAVE to buy
(and then subscribe to!).
The only downside i find with this is that I've fallen a bit behind with the 'current' status of characters.

eg- Ive just got the Justice League Elite graphic novel (the origin of JLE with Vera Black etc and the Flash deciding to be a member of both teams....) and im not sure how 'old' that storyline is and if its still relevant to the JLA's current titles.
wii code 0186 4330 3469 8398 use it mofo's!
banthafodderUK
AIRWOLF

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:05 am

lyra belacqua wrote: So, if someone wants to lead me through the maze of X-Men comics out there, I'll appreciate it.

The Dino, he has a many favorites story lines, eh? Back inna day, before alla the different X-Men books, you had a just a two... "X-Men" anna you had a the "New Mutants".

It was a nice, a 'cos of the Chris Claremont writing both of a the funny books, anna there was a the nice continuity between them, eh? One of a the best a storylines involved started inna the New Mutants, continued inna the X-Men, anna then back inna the New Mutants, anna it was alla about a the Magneto's redemption.

Inna New Mutants, when a the "Warlock" character came a to Earth, he SLAMMED inna to Magneto's "Asteroid M" back a when a Magneto was a still the villian. Inna X-Men, this cause a him to fall to Earth anna land inna the ocean, where he gets a rescued anna revived anna ultimately brought a to Xavier's mansion. Of a course, the X-Men, they alla freak out, but a the Xavier, he calms a them down anna they give a Magneto the chance, eh?

Eventually, inna X-Men, Xavier, he goes off anna the Starjammer adventure (for health reasons, a 'cos a like, he's a dying) anna leaves a the school anna the care of a the New Mutants inna the hands of a the Magneto, who's a like, freaking out, eh? He's a like "no no no donna do it Charles I canna do it!" But Xavier, he has a no choice anna says "you'll do fine, canna talk now, gotta go"

So the redemption of Magneto begins, as a he trains anna cares a for the New Mutant kids... eventually inna the Secret Wars storyline, the New Mutants, they go a through hell, anna they alla die (donna worry they come back) but a Magneto, he donna know this, anna he donna even a know where they are. He's a lost a soul without a the kids, knowing that a he promised Xavier he would a do right, but the kids, they are a missing, anna maybe dead. He discovers that a he loves a the kids so much, anna they change a his life for a the better, anna he's so despondent he canna focus onna anything, anna wanders around a the mansion inna state of a shock anna mourning.

It sounds kind of a cheesy anna "movie of a the week," but onna the paper, it's a powerful stuff, eh?
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby bluebottle on Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:11 am

I completely forgot about that, thanks Dino! That was a great storyline.
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pacino86845 on Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:15 am

I'll add these to the list, because I thing they're damned great: Madman Comics by Mike Allred, Louis Riel by Chester Brown (he's from my neck of the woods, and a damned fine comic creator), I Never Really Liked You by Chester Brown, and give The Goon by Eric Powell a go... awesome little series there.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby DennisMM on Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:30 pm

lyra belacqua wrote:
Don't make me sound stupid. :wink:

I don't think that's possible.

Thank you. I always appreciate recomendations. These will keep me busy for a while. And I only buy trade papers; I refuse to buy issues.
I devoured "Preacher" (thanks to some AICN TBers-sometimes they're good for something). I started "Hellblazer" about 2 years ago and never returned, it just didn't grab me like "Preacher."

Did you try the Ennis issues? If not, start with "Dangerous Habits." Damn.

I liked what I read of the "Sin City" collections. Really, my soft spot is for X-Men, but there are too many different titles that I kind of pick and chose and it pissed me off. I tried again with Whedon's X-Men (because I love his TV shows and I loved Fray) and I enjoyed it, even though I had to look up references he made on the Internet. So, if someone wants to lead me through the maze of X-Men comics out there, I'll appreciate it. :D

I gave up on X-Men about 20 years ago when Claremont started repeating himself and the Secret War complicated all the Marvel characters needlessly, but especially the X-Men. Of course, things got worse in the '90s when the multiple reality stories destroyed any remnant of continuity and they decided to split the team off into four books. I am tempted to buy the Morrison and Whedon collections. Money is an issue, though.

Speaking of issues, I still buy a dozen or so loose comics every month. I do not have the patience to wait for TPs on stories I have dipped into and enjoyed when I purchased a single issue. I discovered "Powers" when I picked up an issue that started a new story, and was hooked. I filled in the gaps with the TPs, but mostly I want my fix now! It's the same with "Planetary," which I think is the best "mainstream" comic on the market.

I just thought of a Marvel character who wasn't needlessly complicated by the Secret War of 1985. I think Denny O'Neil was writing Iron Man at the time. In any case, on the Secret War planet Iron Man's armor is souped up with new attachments including the bread dough hook and ice shaver. When The Beyonder returns all the heroes to Earth, Iron Man tries out one of his new gizmos (the cordless power cork screw, I think) and blows away half of a hill in Central Park. Gee, he thinks, I can't control this new tech. So he takes it off and throws it away. Fuck you, Shooter!
DennisMM

Postby burlivesleftnut on Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:37 pm

Man I don't remember that at all.

Also, Dino, I don't remember New Mutants and Secret Wars involved with each other at all. Magneto's redemption came a couple of years AFTER secret wars... I remember his trial (which lead to him taking over for Prof X) was in issue 200 of Uncanny (I think), while Secret Wars took place around 180 or something. Do you mean Secret Wars 2?

Does anyone remember that kick ass New Mutant Special where they went to Asguard? God that comic blew my fragile little mind when it came out. Such grand adventure with so many amazing tweaks to the characters.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Adam Balm on Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:46 am

Pacino86845 wrote: Louis Riel by Chester Brown (he's from my neck of the woods, and a damned fine comic creator), I Never Really Liked You by Chester Brown, a.

Holy shit was I Never Liked You good. Never thought I could feel bad for a guy dealing with the angst of being cursed with good looks. It also has the notoriety of starting the whole 'painful biography' subgenre in indie comics which flowers to this day.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Dave F. on Fri Aug 12, 2005 1:39 am

burlivesleftnut wrote:Does anyone remember that kick ass New Mutant Special where they went to Asguard? God that comic blew my fragile little mind when it came out. Such grand adventure with so many amazing tweaks to the characters.

Could Art Adams draw hottie chicks or what?

It's funny, looking back at the issue, his art's clearly in a developing stage, but even so, it wowed the crap out of me at the time. I actually remember buying it from a 7-11 and I was ridiculously excited to get home and read it. Was worth it too; hell, better than expected! I pored over that thing in the months to follow, obsessing over the detailed art and thinking often, "Gee, I wish I was in Asgard fighting dudes and meeting hot chicks."

I also think Art Adams was probably the only guy besides Bill Sienkiewicz who could make Warlock look cool. And I can't believe some dickwad of a writer would go and kill Warlock off. Son of a -- ! Way I see it, you should have to create at least five original heroes or villains before you get any kind of power over killing a character.

Oh yeah, and how weird is it to look back at that Annual and catch the dated references. A frost giant as Martin Short's Ed Grimley from SNL? Good Lord! On the other hand, the Enchantress really made the '80s look work for her...

-Dave
Dave F.
GLIB

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:47 am

lyra belacqua wrote:Thank you. I always appreciate recomendations.

"Persepolis" and "Persepolis 2" by Marjane Satrapi.

and if your a fan of "The Sandman" try "Lucifer" by Mike Carey and the cutest damn thing you'll ever see, "The Li'l Endless Story Book" (a continuation of Li'l Death and Morpheus) and "Death: At Death's Door" by Jill Thompson.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:21 am

I haven't seen my New Mutants Special out of its slip cover in nearly 20 years, so I haven't had a chance to see how dated it is.

It does suck that Warlock died... I remember when Warlock's daddy came a-callin'. Was his name Magus or Magnus? Anyway that was a fun time too. I guess Warlock was taken out because he was a) too powerful and b) um, didn't really belong in New Mutants. LOL

I loved that character though. Perhaps he will be alive after House of M... LOWLOLOL!O!LOL@

Anyone know what Art Adams is doing now? I don't follow these things so much anymore, so if that is a stupid question, so be it.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Yes, those are being tranlated in English!

Postby Pacino86845 on Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:39 am

keepcoolbutcare wrote:
lyra belacqua wrote:Thank you. I always appreciate recomendations.

"Persepolis" and "Persepolis 2" by Marjane Satrapi.

and if your a fan of "The Sandman" try "Lucifer" by Mike Carey and the cutest damn thing you'll ever see, "The Li'l Endless Story Book" (a continuation of Li'l Death and Morpheus) and "Death: At Death's Door" by Jill Thompson.

I read the entire run of Persepolis (4 issues) in the original French, and it's great stuff, if you can get around the unconventional minimalist art style... I thought it was quite powerful, and for another Marjane Satrapi read I suppose they'll be translating "Poulet au Prunes" (Prune Chicken), an emotionally devastating one-shot that also one the Angouleme (I guess the French equivalent to the Eisners) prize this year for best comic album. Since moving out to Switzerland, I've totally begun getting into the French comic scene. They've been producing some top calibre graphic novels for years, with lots of stuff geared to an older audience than the superhero stuff.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Pacino86845 on Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:41 am

burlivesleftnut wrote:I haven't seen my New Mutants Special out of its slip cover in nearly 20 years, so I haven't had a chance to see how dated it is.

It does suck that Warlock died... I remember when Warlock's daddy came a-callin'. Was his name Magus or Magnus? Anyway that was a fun time too. I guess Warlock was taken out because he was a) too powerful and b) um, didn't really belong in New Mutants. LOL

I loved that character though. Perhaps he will be alive after House of M... LOWLOLOL!O!LOL@

Anyone know what Art Adams is doing now? I don't follow these things so much anymore, so if that is a stupid question, so be it.

I'm in sort of the same predicament... I think Art Adams was my favorite artist back when I was really into the superhero genre in comics, but he was never such a prolific one. I have the first issue of Monkeyman and O'brien, and that's the last thing I know of the guy.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:52 am

burlivesleftnut wrote:Also, Dino, I don't remember New Mutants and Secret Wars involved with each other at all. Magneto's redemption came a couple of years AFTER secret wars... I remember his trial (which lead to him taking over for Prof X) was in issue 200 of Uncanny (I think), while Secret Wars took place around 180 or something. Do you mean Secret Wars 2?

Hmm... a you maybe a right, eh? It's a been a long a time, anna the Dino, he's a the old man. Maybe it was a the Secret Wars 2. Either way, it was a the Beyonder who a did it to them. I think they hadda to dig their own a graves too... great stuff.

Favorite scene inna the Secret Wars 1? It was a when they all gotta transported inna to the planet underground, anna the Thing anna the Hulk anna Colossus, they were trying to hold uppa the weight of a the whole thing so nobody, they get a crushed, eh? There may have a been a more helping out, but again, the Dino, his a memory is a that of a the old man. But a what I liked a the best about a the scene, was a that it a helped you to a remember that a Colossus, he's just a the kid, eh? Anna he's strong, but he's not as a strong as a the adults... yet, anyway. So it was a like, a coming of a age a moment for a him, anna he gets a to prove a himself, anna everyone, they grateful anna know he's a good kid, anna the Thing, he says to a the others, who are working onna the way out, he says "hurry it uppa, eh? This is a getting heavy, anna the kid, he's hitting his a limit!" But a Colossus, he donna say anything, even a though he's a quivering anna shaking from a the weight, he just a keep focused onna holding it up, eh?

I donna know... maybe the Dino, he read too much inna the funny books, but it's a moments like a that one, that a make a you say (like inna the religion thread) What Would Superman Do, eh?

Those lessons, they stay with a me alla through my years, anna I gonna pass it down a to the bambinos to come.
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby burlivesleftnut on Fri Aug 12, 2005 11:02 am

Man I totally forgot about that. Great scene, Dino. I remember Marvel used to be full of stuff like that.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby DennisMM on Fri Aug 12, 2005 11:05 am

Dave F. wrote:[I also think Art Adams was probably the only guy besides Bill Sienkiewicz who could make Warlock look cool.

You said the magic words, here's the duck, collect $100.

Bill Sienkiewicz made the New Mutants. Without him, they would have remained "The X-Babies." Sienkiewicz's mood reinforced Claremont's changing approach to the kids. God, remember the big eyebrows on Xavier, Rahn looking like a feral instead of a girl with a hair problem and, as you said, Warlock?

Bill Sienkiewicz is a god. I continue to maintain that he may be the finest artist to work in mainstream comics, with David Mazuchelli a close second.

And Bill's a good dancer, too. Been there, done that. Chicago, 1986.
DennisMM

Postby burlivesleftnut on Fri Aug 12, 2005 11:22 am

Is your avatar a mood avatar now? Is it green because you are content?
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby DennisMM on Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:19 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:Is your avatar a mood avatar now? Is it green because you are content?

lol. I forgot to make the shirt purple.
DennisMM

Return to Comic Books