i heart Bryan K. Vaughan

Graphic novels. Weekly rags. The @$$holes.

i heart Bryan K. Vaughan

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:07 pm

now, I love me some Y: The Last Man and Ex Machina is too good for words, but now that I've gotten into Runaways I'm of the (no doubt) minority opinion that this is his finest work.

The pop culture references that I find annoying (yet endearing, it kinda works for Yorick) in some of his stuff REALLY works here, the humor (too many LOL moments to document) is spot on and his subtle shout outs to the comic medium (meta, yet goofy all rolled into one) are part of what makes this a thrilling fun-ride of a comic book.

Oh, and story...the man, to paraphrase someones descripton of Neil Gaiman, is a treasurehouse of ideas, GOOD ideas, ideas that seem so fuckin' simple yet work so effectively that I'm reduced to a blubbering wreck of green eyed jealousy...which is suprising, 'cuz I have blue eyes.

I heart Bryan K. Vaughan and want to see Brokeback Mountain with him...fast becoming the best compliment I can give a man.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Re: i heart Bryan K. Vaughan

Postby lyra belacqua on Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:08 pm

keepcoolbutcare wrote:I heart Bryan K. Vaughan and want to see Brokeback Mountain with him...fast becoming the best compliment I can give a man.

I love you.
lyra belacqua
GEEK GODDESS

Postby Adam Balm on Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:09 pm

Ex Machina is honestly one of the [BEST] comics I've read dealing with the post 9/11 world. I was seriously disappointed that Jeph Loeb was picked over him to write Ultimates v. 3.

EDITED TO MAKE SENSE.
Last edited by Adam Balm on Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:10 pm

lyra belacqua wrote:I love you.

I love me TOO!

we should have a threesome, or if Bryan can be convinced to join in, a foursome (you, Bryan, and me and my ego)!

I'd let him look at my dink...heh, maybe THAT'S the best compliment I can give a man!

and I'm gonna print that I love you comment and have it bronzed!
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:14 pm

Adam Balm wrote:Ex Machina is honestly one of the comics I've read dealing with the post 9/11 world. I was seriously disappointed that Jeph Loeb was picked over him to write Ultimates v. 3.

do you think he would do a good job on it?

I dunno' if he has that in him, yet, but it would be an interesting concept.

This is all based on someone's (GarbageMan?) comments 'bout how his superhero work isn't all that, but I haven't read anything else by him 'cept the stuff I cited, so as usual I have no idea what the hell I'm talkin' about.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:48 pm

I am really, really, really, REALLY not a fan of his "Ultimate X-Men" stuff. I haven't read "Runaways," or "Ex Machina." I love "Y: The Last Man." So based on my experience, I would have to say that his superhero stuff is much worse than his other stuff. When I see people talking about what a good job he does on "Ultimate X-Men" I feel like I'm on crazy pills.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Ribbons on Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:50 pm

Adam Balm wrote:Ex Machina is honestly one of the comics I've read dealing with the post 9/11 world.

So it's one of the comics you've read dealing with the post 9/11 world? But was it any good? Yuk yuk yuk.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Adam Balm on Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:54 pm

I haven't read UXM. You should read Ex Machina though. I think all the best mainstream creators working today are terribly uneven, and BKV is no exception.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Adam Balm on Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:55 pm

Ribbons wrote:
Adam Balm wrote:Ex Machina is honestly one of the comics I've read dealing with the post 9/11 world.

So it's one of the comics you've read dealing with the post 9/11 world? But was it any good? Yuk yuk yuk.

Yeah, I just fixed that.

(doh!)
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:02 pm

Adam Balm wrote:I haven't read UXM. You should read Ex Machina though. I think all the best mainstream creators working today are terribly uneven, and BKV is no exception.

Yeah, it's not that I refuse to read "Ex Machina" or anything, it's just that I haven't really gotten around to it. I want to though.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby The Garbage Man on Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:14 pm

keepcoolbutcare wrote:do you think he would do a good job on it?

I dunno' if he has that in him, yet, but it would be an interesting concept.

This is all based on someone's (GarbageMan?) comments 'bout how his superhero work isn't all that, but I haven't read anything else by him 'cept the stuff I cited, so as usual I have no idea what the hell I'm talkin' about.

I really didn't care for his run on Ultimate X-Men, but that's not to say I dislike his superhero work. Actually, Runaways is one of my top 3 favorite books at the moment, and Vaughn is one of my favorite writers working today.

You've said it already, kcbc, but between Y: The Last Man, Ex Machina, and Runaways, the man is obviously one hell of a writer. I think most writers would kill to be behind one of those books, let alone all three within the span of a few years.

I'd have his man-babies if I could, although I'm still pissed he (SPOILER) killed off Alex in Runaways... or did he?.
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby Colin on Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:50 am

keepcoolbutcare wrote:
I'd let him look at my dink...heh, maybe THAT'S the best compliment I can give a man!

I let people look at my dink all the time.

As for BKV, yes, he's very very good. I may even let him touch my dink. Maybe that's the best compliment I could give a man.
Colin
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Coheed_and_Cambria on Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:07 am

Ex Machina is one of my favorite books to date....

I'm hoping the movie lets off that same real vibe as the book manages to do....
Coheed_and_Cambria
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby doglips on Wed May 31, 2006 4:37 pm

Ex-Machina 20 - Last page, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I'm gutted.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Wed May 31, 2006 6:09 pm

thedoglippedone wrote:Ex-Machina 20 - Last page, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I'm gutted.

I had supressed that 'til now.

It kinda sorta had to happen...but that didn't mean I wanted it to :cry:.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Wed May 31, 2006 6:13 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:

I'm gutted.

Great story though.......
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Wed May 31, 2006 6:17 pm

thedoglippedone wrote:
Keepcoolbutcare wrote:

I'm gutted.

I dunno...I loved it 'til #20.

Thought the culprit was a bit weak, maybe 'cuz I was expecting an inside job. Did love the little bit with the mayor of Baghdad tho'. Vaughn's got a plan, and that's all I can ask.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Wed May 31, 2006 6:23 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
thedoglippedone wrote:
Keepcoolbutcare wrote:

I'm gutted.

I was expecting an inside job.

It'll come, One of them will somehow betray him eventually.......
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:56 pm

ok, unless someone (*cough* COLIN *cough*) posts the comic solicitations for upcoming months I'm usually not in the know as to the covers and potential storylines that may be happening in my fave series.

so there I was, happily reading the latest Nextwave, when, out of fucking nowhere, I catch this GIGANTO SPOILER for Runaways, in the Daily Bugle: The Pulse, Headline News...

Runaways #18 - Brace yourself, a Runaway dies!

WTF?!?!?!?!?!

Has anyone else read #17?

Is it Nico? Too obvious, I reckon. Plus, it may damn well lose a 1/4 of it's sales if our feisty loose-lipped-'lil-minx is really dead. The special lady says it has to be Chase, but then we've got ourselves an all female, one kickass Male Bot and one undetermined (I think) genetically engineered Dinosaur. But it can't be Gert (if that vision of the future was correct, and thus ditto for Viktor), no way he'd off Molly (would he?), and Karolina just came back! But Nico looks all sortsa deadish in that final panel, but then why would #18's cover even be of any importance if it is Nico? To sell comics? FUCK!?!?!? I love Nico, loose-lips or no, she's my 'lil Asian hipster babe! ARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!!!!
Great, great issue regardless. I love, love, love Alphona and Yeung's artwork, for my money maybe the best going in Superhero Comics today.

ETA: I suppose, maybe, it could be Old Lace.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:13 am

I hope it's not that adorable dinosaur!
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:33 pm

Speaking of Brian K. Vaughn...I just read the last two issues (16 and 17) of Runaways and OH. SNAP.

They have already announced that there is a death in issue #18 (IF YOU KNOW WHO IT IS DO NOT SPOIL IT FOR ME DAMN IT!!!)

I REALLY hope it isn't Niko...she is awesome. I could do without Gert...although the whole Raptor thing is cool...but she is just obnoxious. This book is absolutely awesome. Each issue is pure gold. I hope there is no end in sight...because i don't know if I could carry on without The Runaways in my life.

EDIT: I posted this without looking through the thread...but as I glanced up I noticed people have already started speculating on the death...I can't wait for issue #18!
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:40 pm

Yeah, I'm kinda nutso at the thought that we'll be losing one of them. Alex was bad enough--REALLY dug the guy--but now we're down to such a small team, each of whom I really, truly care about.

KCBC's right that it can't be Gert or Victor, and I pray it's not Chase or Molly. That leaves us with Karolina, Old Lace and Nico, and I really don't wan't to lose any of them. Nico getting shot feels a little red herring-ish, though it could be nice to have no big twist, just an issue where they fight and deal with the loss. Or maybe Karolina or her SuperSkrull-in-training boyfriend have some magical way to cure her and take her place.

Ugh, I don't want him/her/it to die...
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby doglips on Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:43 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:I REALLY hope it isn't Niko...she is awesome. I could do without Gert...although the whole Raptor thing is cool...but she is just obnoxious. This book is absolutely awesome. Each issue is pure gold. I hope there is no end in sight...because i don't know if I could carry on without The Runaways in my life.

No way man!, I love Gert and like KC says we kind of know her future. Whoever dies it's gonna be depressing, I really hope it's not Molly.....
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:48 pm

thedoglippedone wrote:...I really hope it's not Molly.....

THAT'S 'PRINCESS POWERFUL!!'

No character makes me crack up as consistently as Molly.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Bob Samonkey on Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:54 pm

I have only read the first graphic novel. I wish I had money...
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:57 pm

Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:I have only read the first graphic novel. I wish I had money...

Go to Barnes & Noble, Borders, etc. and sit down in their cafeteria. Buy a cup of coffee or a smootie or something and READ. That's how I caught up on all my comics. I'd go there on a Saturday, spend four hours reading and not purchase a single thing. Except for the smoothie.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:06 pm

Oh...I forgot about the time travel/Gert storyline. Ugh. She is really the only member of the team that I don't like. No way Molly bites it...she is way too cute. She cracks me up. And come on...killing an ELEVEN YEAR OLD?!??! Thats hardcore. My guess...Chase bites it. That way Gert is torn up...K. Vaughn loves the angst.

But you are right MW...I really don't want to see any of them go. I also dug Alex a lot...his relationship with Nico was awesome. I was hoping that would develop.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:49 am

BOB SPOILERS!

Alex could still return though couldn't he?

All of Nico's spells have worked so far ( except the duplicates ) just because Alex didn't reappear in front of her, does not mean he hasn't come back from the dead and materialised elsewhere........
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:27 pm

I just finished reading Runaways #18...I thought that it might upset me...but nope...

FROM HERE ON IN BE SPOILERS!!!!!

I AM SO HAPPY IT WAS GERT THAT DIED! I don't think I could have stomached losing one of the other Runaways. I have always hated Gert...the only cool aspect to her character was the dinosaur...other than that she was just bad. Still a great read...can't wait for the new storyline.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:55 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:I AM SO HAPPY IT WAS GERT THAT DIED! I don't think I could have stomached losing one of the other Runaways. I have always hated Gert...the only cool aspect to her character was the dinosaur...other than that she was just bad. Still a great read...can't wait for the new storyline.

ROTTEN-NESS BELOW!

keepcoolbutcare wrote:But it can't be Gert (if that vision of the future was correct...

always hedge your bets. Glad that Old Lace is still kickin' it, and Chase finally has a power. But Lecko...

wtf? "she was just bad?" Boffo ananlysis.
I, obviously, differ. Gert was a strong, brash, tell-it-like-it-is 'lil chubb-rockette who scored herself teh hotboy and died, as she lived, a fucking hero. Respect due, punk!

"All your base are belong to the New Pride" -- HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

teh bestest comic gets better and betterer. Now please Mr. Vaughan, don't kill anybody off for a little while, I was still SPOILER FOR THOSE NOT UP TO DATE WITH Ex Machina...

gettin' over Journal.

/SPOILER

Oh, and Dog, I've been thinkin' that for a while now. I fucking hope so, but not for a couple of story arcs. Alex comes back, you know someone else is gonna die.

I just don't think I can handle it just yet. I mean, fuck, who's next, Ampersand???
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:15 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
Leckomaniac wrote:
I AM SO HAPPY IT WAS GERT THAT DIED! I don't think I could have stomached losing one of the other Runaways. I have always hated Gert...the only cool aspect to her character was the dinosaur...other than that she was just bad. Still a great read...can't wait for the new storyline.

ROTTEN-NESS BELOW!

keepcoolbutcare wrote:But it can't be Gert (if that vision of the future was correct...

always hedge your bets. Glad that Old Lace is still kickin' it, and Chase finally has a power. But Lecko...

wtf? "she was just bad?" Boffo ananlysis.
I, obviously, differ. Gert was a strong, brash, tell-it-like-it-is 'lil chubb-rockette who scored herself teh hotboy and died, as she lived, a fucking hero. Respect due, punk!

"All your base are belong to the New Pride" -- HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

teh bestest comic gets better and betterer. Now please Mr. Vaughan, don't kill anybody off for a little while, I was still SPOILER FOR THOSE NOT UP TO DATE WITH Ex Machina...

gettin' over Journal.

/SPOILER

Oh, and Dog, I've been thinkin' that for a while now. I fucking hope so, but not for a couple of story arcs. Alex comes back, you know someone else is gonna die.

I just don't think I can handle it just yet. I mean, fuck, who's next, Ampersand???

HA! K. Vaughn loves to tug at the heart-strings! I know a lot of folks disagree with me about gert but I honestly thought she was the least likeable out of all of the Runaways. But that is just my opinion. I know a girl like that in real life...and I can't stand her either.

Glad that I FINALLY have somone to discuss all things K. Vaughn with...no one I know reads Runaways or Ex-Machina. I will probably be posting on this thread more often now.

Those are all excellent points TDLP...that would be awesome...I loved Alex...even when he turned...he was a great foil for the Runaways. That would TOTALLY throw Nico through a loop. She has been on quite an emotional rollercoaster.

On another note, did anyone here read The Escapist #1? I loved it...I wondered if anyone else felt the same.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:28 pm

bunch more to add about this...tiny sized spoilers below.

Love Love Love the twist with Xavin being Nico. Why the fuck I didn't see that (kinda obvious, in retrospect, if one was of the persuasion Nico wasn't gonna die) exemplifies Vaughan's writing prowess. Sure, anything can happen, anyone can die, but only within the rigid parameters of what's been established already. When Xavin said he was "a runaway", I flipped to the cover...no, he wasn't there, but since he's a shape-shifter, maybe he was? But, nah, Vaughan don't fuck about, when he says a Runaway is gonna die, HE MEANS IT. No stunts, no gimmicks. And "Dead Means Dead" is the title for the next issue. Maybe it's the fact this is a relatively new series and doesn't have the whole dustbin of history heap behind it, but Vaughan can, and does, make sweeping moves that actually mean something. With the betrayal and death of the team leader early on in the run, Vaughan created a world, unique in Superherodom (even tho' I still don't think this is a "superhero" comic per se), a world where the characters age, evolve, change...and die.

Alphona & Co. constantly deliver some of the best art in the business. Characters seem to jump off the page, in a versimilitude to the real yet still comicy look. The facial expressions match up with the words to an uncanny degree, especially in the non-action panels. That's not an easy to pull off, but they make it look easy. And hey, Nico is teh hotness.

Normally, while I'll chuckle at pop-cultural references, they rarely feel "right" to me. Whedon did it pretty well in Buffy (I could see Buffy knowing some arcane geekery, she did hang with Xander and all), but Vaughan upped the ante. Computer nerds saying oft heard web logisms? Check. A mecha teen throwing a Leeroy Jenkins World of Warcraft reference here works, and works well. Ditto the @sskick3r bit.

And then Gert. The little lady, in our discussion after reading, mentioned how losing her is a huge blow. Not for obvious reasons either. Rather, how many girls in comics, mainstream superheroey comics mind you, have a realistic body type? Rare breed that. She was well rounded (heh), precocious, shoot from the hip, brash brave and bold. And for a second, I thought maybe she might live, and our genetically engineered dinosaur might be the one from the cover who bites it. Alas, no.

But check that last page again. A pissed off, angry and righteous Chase, with an irate not-a-Velocoraptor and the words "so our power can't end up in the wrong hands." We know (or think we know) that Chase has a violent history. Gert was right, Chase isn't an "innocent soul". And check that hand. When visuals and dialogue match up this well, you know you're in the rarified air of comics, the upper atmosphere of Moore, Gaiman, Ellis and Millar. I was nervous with anticipation for the last issue, scared for who would be the one to go. Now, I'm nervous for Chase. He's got nothing now...nothing. Except, now, power, and the will to use it.

Really, you can have your mega crossovers, your earth shattering revelations and tie-ins and the like.

This is the best comic in the business.

Recognize.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:19 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:bunch more to add about this...tiny sized spoilers below.

Love Love Love the twist with Xavin being Nico. Why the fuck I didn't see that (kinda obvious, in retrospect, if one was of the persuasion Nico wasn't gonna die) exemplifies Vaughan's writing prowess. Sure, anything can happen, anyone can die, but only within the rigid parameters of what's been established already. When Xavin said he was "a runaway", I flipped to the cover...no, he wasn't there, but since he's a shape-shifter, maybe he was? But, nah, Vaughan don't fuck about, when he says a Runaway is gonna die, HE MEANS IT. No stunts, no gimmicks. And "Dead Means Dead" is the title for the next issue. Maybe it's the fact this is a relatively new series and doesn't have the whole dustbin of history heap behind it, but Vaughan can, and does, make sweeping moves that actually mean something. With the betrayal and death of the team leader early on in the run, Vaughan created a world, unique in Superherodom (even tho' I still don't think this is a "superhero" comic per se), a world where the characters age, evolve, change...and die.

Alphona & Co. constantly deliver some of the best art in the business. Characters seem to jump off the page, in a versimilitude to the real yet still comicy look. The facial expressions match up with the words to an uncanny degree, especially in the non-action panels. That's not an easy to pull off, but they make it look easy. And hey, Nico is teh hotness.

Normally, while I'll chuckle at pop-cultural references, they rarely feel "right" to me. Whedon did it pretty well in Buffy (I could see Buffy knowing some arcane geekery, she did hang with Xander and all), but Vaughan upped the ante. Computer nerds saying oft heard web logisms? Check. A mecha teen throwing a Leeroy Jenkins World of Warcraft reference here works, and works well. Ditto the @sskick3r bit.

And then Gert. The little lady, in our discussion after reading, mentioned how losing her is a huge blow. Not for obvious reasons either. Rather, how many girls in comics, mainstream superheroey comics mind you, have a realistic body type? Rare breed that. She was well rounded (heh), precocious, shoot from the hip, brash brave and bold. And for a second, I thought maybe she might live, and our genetically engineered dinosaur might be the one from the cover who bites it. Alas, no.

But check that last page again. A pissed off, angry and righteous Chase, with an irate not-a-Velocoraptor and the words "so our power can't end up in the wrong hands." We know (or think we know) that Chase has a violent history. Gert was right, Chase isn't an "innocent soul". And check that hand. When visuals and dialogue match up this well, you know you're in the rarified air of comics, the upper atmosphere of Moore, Gaiman, Ellis and Millar. I was nervous with anticipation for the last issue, scared for who would be the one to go. Now, I'm nervous for Chase. He's got nothing now...nothing. Except, now, power, and the will to use it.

Really, you can have your mega crossovers, your earth shattering revelations and tie-ins and the like.

This is the best comic in the business.

Recognize.

Dude I totally agree. This is by far my favorite comic out there right now. Hands down. I see where you are getting at with Gert's body type. Lord knows I love looking at Emma Frost...but there just isn't any realism there.

A HUGE second in regards to the art. It just looks awesome. Not sure what it is...but there really isn't any need for Vaughn's words to tell the story. The art does it alone. Then Vaughan comes in and provides some of the greatest laugh out loud moments that I have had in comics. Seriously that issue might go down as one of my all time favorites.

I just recently ordered the volume 1 HC for Runaways...can't wait until it gets here!

I am super excited for issue 19 to get here. I wonder if Chase is going to try a ressurection spell...or perhaps go to the gods and sacrafice his life to bring her back?!?!?! He is a desperate kid...and when you are desperate you do stupid and rash things you know?
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:25 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:...and when you are desperate you do stupid and rash things you know?

king_of_nowhere's slogan?
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:55 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
Leckomaniac wrote:...and when you are desperate you do stupid and rash things you know?

king_of_nowhere's slogan?

STOP ABUSING YOUR POWER!!!!

:wink:
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:53 am

FUCK!! NOOOOOOooooo :cry:

My favourite Runaway is dead, I knew it was gonna be Gert the minute she stepped into the fire.

Like you have both agreed above, this is the best comic around at the moment, by a long way.

I hope Xavin steps into the line-up permanently, I think Vaughan will have a great time with his character and relationship with Karolina.

Chase had better start discovering his knack for all things technical and get fixing the time machine!........
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby doglips on Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:48 am

Anyone picked The Escapists up yet?, I'm waiting for my copy.

Brian K Vaughn wrote:A quick plug, just 'cause I'm so proud of this one:

THE ESCAPISTS is a kind of modern-day successor to Michael Chabon's Pulitzer Prize-winning novel THE AMAZING ADVENTURES OF KAVALIER & CLAY, but because this is an all-new story, you won't have to read that (brilliant) book to understand and enjoy our series. But for you fellow Chabon fans, here's what the author was generous enough to say about our first issue:

"After bringing to bear on the problem his formidable knowledge of the world of comics, from the mists of the Golden Age to the Xeroxed and stapled world of the self-published zine, his sensitive grasp of character, his muscular story-telling gift, his fine ear for dialog, and a careful re-reading of the source novel, Brian turned in a script that caused grown men, or at least one grown man, to weep for joy. It is a script that well meets, and perhaps even exceeds, the expectations raised by the shadow of the parent novel: the need for a sense of immersion in a 'real' world of 'real' characters. It is absolutely faithful both to the spirit of Joe Kavalier and Sam Clay and Rosa Saks, and to that of the Escapist himself. And yet it is, thrillingly, unmistakably the work of Mr. Vaughan."

Clearly, Michael gets a taste of the royalties.

VERY loosely inspired by my experiences growing up in the comic-book Mecca that is Cleveland, Ohio (hometown of Superman creators Siegel & Shuster, Brian Bendis, Harvey Pekar, etc.), our story follows the behind-the-scenes adventures of a bunch of aspiring young comics creators, as they try to breathe new life into a Golden Age superhero known as the Escapist. I think it's an even stronger first issue than Y: THE LAST MAN 1 or EX MACHINA 1, so I really hope fans of those series will shell out four quarters and give this one a shot.

Sounds badass to me.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Leckomaniac on Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:06 am

Leckomaniac wrote:On another note, did anyone here read The Escapist #1? I loved it...I wondered if anyone else felt the same.

I also reviewed it in the New Comics Wednesday thread...it is absolutely awesome.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:12 am

Whoops, missed that! Thanks for the review.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Leckomaniac on Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:16 am

No problem.

I am just bummed its only a 6-issue mini.

I can't wait for K. Vaughan's Dr. Strange...but again...only a mini.

I suppose with 3 on-going series as it is...I shouldn't complain.

I just wonder what I am going to do when Y concludes. :sad:
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:29 pm

lovin' that sig dog.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MasterWhedon on Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:36 pm

My girlfriend has been reading Astonishing X-Men with me for a while now, and I've been pestering her to start reading Runaways. She constantly put it off, and then this weekend she finally picked up the hardcover... and read through every issue.

It was really nice to have a fresh pair of eyes to experience it all through again. Made me go back and revisit some of my favorite moments from the past.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Pacino86845 on Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:37 pm

Is that a Frank Miller cover for the Escapists?
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby MasterWhedon on Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:40 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:Is that a Frank Miller cover for the Escapists?

That's what I thought.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Bob Samonkey on Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:52 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:
Pacino86845 wrote:Is that a Frank Miller cover for the Escapists?

That's what I thought.

Yes, yes it is.
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby doglips on Mon Jul 24, 2006 5:42 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:lovin' that sig dog.

Cheers dude, I can tie it to my head next time.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Mon Jul 24, 2006 5:48 pm

thedoglippedone wrote:
Keepcoolbutcare wrote:lovin' that sig dog.

Cheers dude, I can tie it to my head next time.

dammit, that technique doesn't work if there are hotties in the panel!

I go from seconds to nano-seconds...
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Mon Jul 24, 2006 5:52 pm

Well at least you will make the Guinness Book Of Records.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby The Garbage Man on Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:59 pm

I met Brian K. Vaughan!

Unfortunately I wasn't expecting to meet him, so the conversation went something like this:

Me: Oh shit, there's Brian Vaughan! Fuck, I don't have anything for him to sign! "Er... um... :oops: could you sign this for me? (I pick up a free promo for Lions of Baghdad and hand it to him) I'm... um... a big fan of Runaways..." :oops:

BKV: "Oh thanks! Have you read the latest issue?"

Me: :oops: "Oh... er... um... no..." :oops:

BKV: "Oh... you should."

Me: "Mmmhmm." :oops:

And then I walked away in a daze, only to remember 10 minutes later that I had a Y: The Last Man TPB in my bag all along. :roll:
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby doglips on Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:15 am

Hehehe, that's a cool way to remember your meeting with him.

So, have you read Runaways 18 yet?

What is the promo for Lions of Baghdad like? It sounds like a premise only Vaughan could pull off successfully. I can't wait to read it.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Next

Return to Comic Books