i heart Bryan K. Vaughan

Graphic novels. Weekly rags. The @$$holes.

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:26 am

doglips wrote:
yorrick brown wrote:news about his movie script

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/12497

Ah, new BKV info, thin on the ground since he shut down BKVTV :P

Resolving a heated bidding war, Brian K. Vaughan has sold his supernatural comedy spec Roundtable to DreamWorks for $650,000 against $1 million (lucky, lucky). In "Roundtable," Vaughan tries out yet another tweak on the oft-revised King Arthur legend. His spin, more "Ghostbusters" than "Excalibur," revolves around Merlin assembling a bunch of modern-day knights to battle a resurrected ancient evil, only to discover that today's knights are all washed-up athletes, cowardly scientists or Academy Award-winning actors.

Sounds pretty wacky but those characters will have ( hopefully ) awesome Vaughan dialogue as their excalibur. Could be good.

As long as he can bring the smart but witty dialogue he's known for it should be a fun movie.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Re: i heart Bryan K. Vaughan

Postby DDMAN26 on Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:27 am

I finally picked up the first trade of Y the Last Man. Looooved it picked up the next two. And if those go well then I'll probably pick the rest up.
DDMAN26
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby shitjet on Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:38 am

*Appreciates BKV*

So what's he up to these days?
I have pancakes for breakfast. Potatoes for lunch. And movies for dinner.
shitjet
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:10 pm

shitjet wrote:*Appreciates BKV*

aside from co-writing the best episodes this past season of LOST, having a bidding war over his ROUNDTABLE script, and moving incrementally forward with the movie adaptation of Y:THE LAST MAN?

probably just being the cool, down to earth pop-cultural referencing heir to Whedon.

here's the bald little keebler getting too close to my girlfriend...

whole reason I popped into this thread though was to mention how I just picked up the RUNAWAYS Hardcover, having tired of the wee-little paperback and realizing I can't bring my desktop computer, where I have the original run, into my bathroom when I have the runs.

I always loved Jo Chen's cover work, but now, all embiggened, I appreciate it all the more. The covers for the first 6 issues, featuring the original Team Runaways, are dazzling.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby shitjet on Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:57 am

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
shitjet wrote:*Appreciates BKV*

aside from co-writing the best episodes this past season of LOST, having a bidding war over his ROUNDTABLE script, and moving incrementally forward with the movie adaptation of Y:THE LAST MAN?

probably just being the cool, down to earth pop-cultural referencing heir to Whedon.

here's the bald little keebler getting too close to my girlfriend...

whole reason I popped into this thread though was to mention how I just picked up the RUNAWAYS Hardcover, having tired of the wee-little paperback and realizing I can't bring my desktop computer, where I have the original run, into my bathroom when I have the runs.

I always loved Jo Chen's cover work, but now, all embiggened, I appreciate it all the more. The covers for the first 6 issues, featuring the original Team Runaways, are dazzling.

thanks for the update. i didn't know that about the ROUNDTABLE script.

Lost did start to pwn at the end of the third season... and has ever since. Were the "flash-forwards" his idea?
I have pancakes for breakfast. Potatoes for lunch. And movies for dinner.
shitjet
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Smasher on Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:20 am

The Anthology of (The Amazing Adventures of) The Escapist is a must-read.
Smasher
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Evil Hobbit on Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:17 pm

Finally finished with Y. What an ending! That was the last thing one would expect a series like this to end. Loved how there was basicly no real explanation. The aftermath for these characters was strong and full of purpose. Even when that purpose is to retreat in custody. So much irony. So open and yet so satisfying.

Now what trades shall we buy next...
Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

Postby commiepinko on Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:27 pm

Anybody reading Ex Machina?

Not as great as Y, but you gotta love the Great Machine.

Especially in the flashbacks when he's all Greatest American Hero.

Too bad Runaways has gone to shit. Although their changing writers again, so here's hoping.
commiepinko
GLIB

Postby DennisMM on Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:32 pm

Hundred pulled on a fighting suit at the end of the new issue! Holy shit!
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:59 pm

There was an interview with Tony Harris at Newsarama recently (I can't be bothered to look it up) where he said that BKV had left LOST and would be returning to comics "in a big way" (I believe those were his words).

I really hope that is the case. We need more BKV in comics.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Al Shut on Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:05 am

I'm not sure what he odes/did on Lost but between that, Ex Machina and Y I'm starting to see a pattern where shit gets weird and instead of being captured I'm sitting there with my arms crossed, sceptical curious if there will be a decent conclusion (still behind on all three).

Not that that is a bad thing, I still enjoy it.
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:41 am

Al Shut wrote:I'm not sure what he odes/did on Lost but between that, Ex Machina and Y I'm starting to see a pattern where shit gets weird and instead of being captured I'm sitting there with my arms crossed, sceptical curious if there will be a decent conclusion (still behind on all three).

Not that that is a bad thing, I still enjoy it.

He wrote few episodes and was a consulting producer for seasons 3-5.

Y: The Last Man starts off with a bang. It builds up so well and then really stumbled around issue 40ish. But trust me when I say, the final issue is satisfying. It rocks.

Ex Machina ends with issue 60. We'll see how that concludes.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheButcher on Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:17 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:34 am

From Heat Vision:
AGENCY SIGNING: 'Last Man' Creator Brian K. Vaughan Signs With Verve (Exclusive) - Award-winning comic book series creator was also a writer-producer on "Lost."
Borys Kit wrote:Brian K. Vaughan, the award-winning creator of comic book series Y: The Last Man and Runaways, has signed with Verve. He was previously at CAA.

Vaughn, who also created comic book Ex Machina, was a writer-producer on ABC’s Lost, on which he shared nominations for an Emmy and WGA award. He also has the sci-fi pilot Smokers, with Sam Raimi and Stars Road producing, set up at Sony Television.

Vaughan’s Y, considered one of the best comics of the 2000’s, and Ex Machina are set up at New Line. Runaways, the acclaimed series published by Marvel Comics, is being developed by Marvel Studios to act as one of their first pictures outside their current Avengers movie line-up, and Vaughan wrote the script.

A believer in the creation of original material, Vaughan is cooking up several new projects across various media, including a new screenplay on which he plans to make his feature directorial debut.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: SAGA

Postby TheButcher on Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:32 pm

CCI EXCLUSIVE: BKV Builds "Saga" at Image
Jeffrey Renaud wrote:Announced at Comic-Con International in San Diego, Brian K. Vaughan makes his long-awaited return to ongoing comics in 2012 with "Saga," a new science-fiction series for Image Comics.

Co-created and illustrated by Fiona Staples, "Saga" is Vaughan's first ongoing series since his Eisner-winning "Ex Machina" came to a dramatic close last summer.

With Vaughan working on multiple projects in Hollywood for both TV and film, fans of the creator of such thought-provoking and genre-bending titles as "Y: The Last Man" and "Runaways" were anxious that BKV may have walked away from comic books for good.

But in this exclusive first interview about "Saga," Vaughan told Comic Book Resources that comics remain the best medium for storytelling, and that while he loves working in Hollywood, he's "been dying to get back to the monthly grind."

With the launch of "Saga" still months away, Vaughan was guarded about specific details but did share that the series would follow the life and times of a family fighting to survive a never-ending war. BKV also named George Lucas' "Star Wars" saga as an inspiration, so it's safe to say the events of the series will move beyond the borders of New York, Los Angeles and the other locales Vaughan's creations have inhabited on Earth.

Vaughan also discussed moving to Image Comics for his new series, away from the comfy confines of his usual creative nesting grounds -- Marvel, DC Comics and the latter's imprints Vertigo and Wildstorm. He was relatively quiet about his various Hollywood projects but did confirm there was news coming on that front, too. Just not this weekend, because Comic-Con, he said, should be about comics.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:58 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:46 pm

I was in the front row when they announced this. So awesome. BKV is so tiny in person!
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:56 pm

Lecko, you never told us what you thought of the Ex Machina finale. Care to share, a year later?
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:06 pm

DennisMM wrote:Lecko, you never told us what you thought of the Ex Machina finale. Care to share, a year later?

:oops:

I haven't read it yet. I am going to go back and read the last 12 issues or so in the near future. It just got lost in the shuffle, unfortunately. Soon, though!
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheButcher on Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:23 pm

From Newsarama:
Zack Smith wrote:One of the most surprising announcements at this year’s San Diego Comic-Con was that Brian K. Vaughan was returning to monthly comics in 2012 with Saga, a new SF/fantasy series featuring art by Fiona Staples. And...that’s pretty much all we know about it.

Vaughan, who’s proven damn good at keeping spoilers under wraps for Y: The Last Man, Runaways and his other books, proved equally tight-lipped as we attempted to extract information about his new project from him during an interview to generate some pre-solicitation buzz for the book. What we did get from him are some thoughts on why he’s returning to monthly comics, what it’s like working with Staples, why he went with Image, and the many, many, many recent comics he’s read and enjoyed. From Vaughan’s enthusiasm, it sounds like this is going to be a comics Saga to be reckoned with...
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:00 pm

So, SAGA came out this week.

It was awesome. The first issue was oversized, which allowed the story to really breathe and demonstrate its size. It also featured Royal robots fucking. So, you know, that is awesome.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:20 pm

Thanks for the endorsement. I passed on it, but I may well pick it up on my next trip to the LCS.
DennisMM

Postby Leckomaniac on Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:10 pm

SAGA continues to be amazing.

Just an update.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Previous

Return to Comic Books