i heart Bryan K. Vaughan

Graphic novels. Weekly rags. The @$$holes.

Postby doglips on Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:53 am

It's a great book and my favourite by Vaughan. Hundred is a superb character, instantly likable with some very funny one liners and a clever set of powers. The politics never get too heavy, although they are informed and the stories are intricately woven. He has a nemesis of sorts and a really varied team of supporting characters - one of whom I tragically love.

The art by Tony Harris is totally mindblowing.

Here's a linkto the homepage at Wildstorm. You can download the whole first issue!
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:46 pm

Nice little interview up with BVK and Joss. You can read it here.

BKV says he is cutting down on his comics work so that he can work on movies and tv...

That makes me one sad panda.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:54 pm

me too. Still, it gives him more time to devote to Ex-Machina + Y.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:09 am

I just read Ex Machina vol. 1 + 2 and I must say that vol. 1 was good...but vol. 2 was kick ass...very much on par with where the series is right now.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:09 am

Attention Lecko!

Just saw this on the BKV forum -

Brian K. Vaughan wrote:Caballeros,

At the "Exclusives" section of www.bkv.tv , there's a link to a one-act play I wrote a few years ago called DROP that anyone is welcome to perform. Here's an update from someone who took up the challenge:

Hi! I e-mailed you a few months ago about directing "DROP" at
my university theater. We are currently just over a week away
from opening night, so I just wanted you to have an update:

DROP will be performed on October 26th, 27th, and 28th at 8:00
PM in the Francis X. Kinahan Theater at the University of Chicago.

5706 S University Ave
Chicago, IL 60637

Admission price is $6.

"Now wait!" you might say, "that's a lot of money for a
twenty-minute show!" Well, yes. Yes, it is. But there are
three other shows going on: Strindberg One on One ("Pariah"
and "The Stronger"), Edward Albee's "Zoo Story", and an
adapted version of Ray Bradbury's "The Wonderful Death of
Dudley Stone". DROP is simply going up first, so people can
duck out afterwards if they're just there for the BKV love.

If that's still too much money, we have a free open dress
rehearsal Wednesday the 25th, also at 8:00.

This is honestly one of the best shows I've ever worked on,
and I'm really proud of it. The cast is amazing, the stage
manager is a goddess, and everything is going so well that I'm
just waiting for the other shoe to drop.

I have not read the play yet, I will give it a go later.

So, do you think you might go and see some BKV stage goodness Lecko?
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:37 pm

Oh snap.

I totally might check this out on friday. If for no other reason then I can hope that BKV might show up!

But this sounds awesome and the University of Chicago is not too far from me. The campus is beautiful but once you take 3 steps off campus its like the DMZ.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:38 pm

That's what I was thinking, you might get to meet the man himself.

LOL, be careful in the DMZ.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby offtheset on Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:09 pm

Adam Balm wrote:Ex Machina is honestly one of the [BEST] comics I've read dealing with the post 9/11 world. I was seriously disappointed that Jeph Loeb was picked over him to write Ultimates v. 3.

EDITED TO MAKE SENSE.

Ex Machina is one of the best ANYTHINGs dealing with the post 9/11 world.
I'd love some feedback on my site:

http://www.MovieSet.com
offtheset
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:00 am

offtheset wrote:
Adam Balm wrote:Ex Machina is honestly one of the [BEST] comics I've read dealing with the post 9/11 world.

Ex Machina is one of the best ANYTHINGs dealing with the post 9/11 world.

amen to that.

Speaking of which, while Vaughan may be running out of steam in Runaways, the just concluded "Smoke Smoke" run proves he's not running on creative vapors with Ex Machina.

Kremlin?!?! I can see it, and he's kinda set it up with previous issues. I guess his motivation is that he thinks Mitchell does more good as The Great Machine than as the Mayor of NY, but might there be some form of psychosis / transference with Pherson? Or is it just that being in close proximity to Mitchell changes people? Curious, as usual, to see where Vaughan goes with this.

Great ending this week. Vaughan is one of the finest writers of the political working today.

And Harris, as usual, kicks all sorts of ass.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:06 am

The problem I am having is this:

In my mind I can't help but compare Ex Machina to DMZ from week to week. They aren't really similar concepts at all. One is a superhero book and the other is not. However, they both deal with New York and they both deal with political "What if's?"

And at the moment DMZ is better. But Ex Machina is gaining a whole heap of steam. Each arc is better than the last. I wish I could read one without automatically thinking of the other but at the moment I am incapable of doing that and it can, at times, get frustrating.

I can't really complain because there are two great books out there by two great young writers.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:45 am

Yeah, it's great to be reading these two books at the moment. I feel spoiled.

DMZ is a great read, but it has yet to hit the same heights as Ex-Machina, IMO. A hard comparison to make at the moment though, DMZ needs another arc to see where Wood is going.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby doglips on Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:54 pm

Wow, Escapists 4 is fantastic, I'm loving the Max/Case/Escapist/Lunar Moth parallel storytelling. Alexander's interior art is beautiful. I'd say thats Vaughan's best script yet, lets hope the last 2 issues carry on in the same vein.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:58 pm

thedoglippedone wrote:Wow, Escapists 4 is fantastic, I'm loving the Max/Case/Escapist/Lunar Moth parallel storytelling. Alexander's interior art is beautiful. I'd say thats Vaughan's best script yet, lets hope the last 2 issues carry on in the same vein.

Don't forget about Doctor Strange: The Oath #2 was released today! I gave it a mini-review in the New Comic Wednesday! thread.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:15 pm

Yeah, saw it........I'll pick it up on Friday.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby DennisMM on Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:03 pm

Really enjoyed the conclusion of "Smoke Smoke" in Ex Machina, though I suppose I should have seen the denoument coming.

Through interlibrary loan today I ordered SEVEN BKV books: Runaways v.4-6, Y v.5-7 and, finally in a cooperating Colorado library, Pride of Baghdad. The last has a waiting list, but I'm on it!
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby Leckomaniac on Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:45 pm

So have people here had any reaction to the last few issues of Y? I mean We are coming down to the end now and a lot of big reveals have been made. Any first impressions? Thoughts? Criticisms?
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:47 pm

I read Y in trades and have yet to read Kimono Dragons.....Can't wait.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Leckomaniac on Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:38 pm

RUNAWAYS CHARACTER SKETCHES! Courtesy of New Joe Fridays.

Meet:

Lucy In The Sky

Princess Powerful

Victor
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:58 am

They look great. Molly looks a little different facially.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Leckomaniac on Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:39 am

thedoglippedone wrote:They look great. Molly looks a little different facially.

I noticed that as well.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:47 am

I don't mind the change, but her cuteness is down in that sketch. That's a big part of her personality imo, but even if she changes visually, Molly's dialogue is her defining characteristic, something Joss is going to do brilliantly.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Ribbons on Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:48 am

What about the sketches for that adorable dinosaur?! Where's she?!

[awkward silence]
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby doglips on Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:54 am

Stop reminding me about Gert.

[sob]
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Pacino86845 on Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:06 am

Hey, a bit of trivia for Brian K. Vaughan hearters...

I dunno how his last name is supposed to be pronounced, I always assumed it was like Vince Vaughn's last name. Regardless, on the inside cover of Pride of Baghdad, his name's written in Arabic... phonetically, it reads "Foh-gaan." The "F" is explainable since you don't usually get the letter "V" in the Arabic language (although a "V" character was created in modern Arabic in recent years, it's still uncommon).

In Iraqi-Arabic at least, "Fohg" means "up," so his last name in Arabic would translate to "Person who is up."

In conclusion, Brian K. Vaughan PWNTs all !!!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby doglips on Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:07 am

That's cool. I didn't even see his name in Arabic.

I forgot to ask, what didn't you like about those end credits? I think I can guess, but I'd like to know.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Pacino86845 on Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:41 am

thedoglippedone wrote:I forgot to ask, what didn't you like about those end credits? I think I can guess, but I'd like to know.

I think it was how thrown-in his thanks to the U.S. servicemen felt... it just seems that every time someone does something (movie/book/comic) that has anything to do with Iraq there's thanks to the army people. I guess I understand the sentiment, but maybe specific calling out of the particular people who were helpful would have felt more sincere. Also, I think I was cranky that day, and of course at the end of the book *SPOILERS* when the soldiers shoot the lions I was really pissed off at them, but I guess that just means the book works. :D
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby doglips on Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:57 am

Pacino86845 wrote:
thedoglippedone wrote:I forgot to ask, what didn't you like about those end credits? I think I can guess, but I'd like to know.

I think it was how thrown-in his thanks to the U.S. servicemen felt... it just seems that every time someone does something (movie/book/comic) that has anything to do with Iraq there's thanks to the army people. I guess I understand the sentiment, but maybe specific calling out of the particular people who were helpful would have felt more sincere. Also, I think I was cranky that day, and of course at the end of the book *SPOILERS* when the soldiers shoot the lions I was really pissed off at them, but I guess that just means the book works. :D

Yeah, I was really pissed at them too. So when I saw the credit thanking the servicemen, I thought it was a little strange seeing as Vaughan had just shown them as coldblooded killers. But they probably helped with getting the story straight. So like you say a dedicated thankyou to particular servicemen may have made more sense.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby doglips on Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:22 pm

EX MACHINA: INSIDE THE MACHINE VOL. 1

Written by Brian K. Vaughan
Art and cover by Tony Harris

A “behind-the-scenesâ€
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Leckomaniac on Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:05 pm

Check out a preview of the new Runaways issue.

RUNAWAYS GOODNESS
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:14 pm

Harris just traces. So says Peven, and we know he's always right.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby The Garbage Man on Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:13 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:Check out a preview of the new Runaways issue.

RUNAWAYS GOODNESS

Nice.
Thanks, Lecko.
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby doglips on Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:48 am

Just saw this over at the BKV forum.

According to this week's Wizard BKV and Brian Meltzer are doing arcs of the Buffy season 8 comic.

BKV doing Buffy? MW is going to go into meltdown.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Leckomaniac on Sat Dec 23, 2006 1:21 am

thedoglippedone wrote:Just saw this over at the BKV forum.

According to this week's Wizard BKV and Brian Meltzer are doing arcs of the Buffy season 8 comic.

BKV doing Buffy? MW is going to go into meltdown.

YEAH! BKV is doing a 4 issue-arc according to his website. I am drooling over here. Way too much nerdy goodness.

And BKV joining the LOST writing staff?!?!?!? That is crazy news. It will be interesting to see how he translates to TV.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:40 am

I'm looking forward to news of his next creator owned project, should come soon according to BKTV.

I reckon he will translate very well to TV, his dialogue should be the best that LOST will have seen.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:24 am

Unless the inanity of Lost swallows him whole. Then he will start writing comics that have lots of pointless flashbacks and he'd have like NO CLUE how he was supposed to end it.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Colin on Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:10 pm

Colin
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:01 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:Then he will start writing comics that have lots of pointless flashbacks and he'd have like NO CLUE how he was supposed to end it.

most of the storylines of Y, especially issues 40-50, were pretty flashback heavy, and I didn't really dig 'em much. Yes, too Lost-ish, and while they actually gave us MEANINGFUL backstory, I thought they were kinda filler-ish.

but that could come down to the fact I just really want to see how all this is going to play out.

Loved, loved, loved issues 50-52 tho'. In some comics, I kinda want some of the main characters to bite it, and I was damn sure that 355 and/or Mann were going to die. Really, really pleased that he didn't off 'em, at least as of yet. I adore them too much to see them pass on.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:31 pm

Some strange news:

BKV to write issue #7 of Wildstorm's MIDNIGHTER. It will be a special one-shot deal.

Very odd news indeed. But count me in.

Read the whole story here
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:37 pm

I read this a few weeks ago on the BKV forum, he seems really excited about it - which probably means it's going to be a shit hot issue.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:42 pm

thedoglippedone wrote:I read this a few weeks ago on the BKV forum, he seems really excited about it - which probably means it's going to be a shit hot issue.

Yeah the news seemed to be a few weeks old, but since I was without internet for a while it was all new to me.

I am especially excited to read this becuase it is quite a bit of a departure from what he usually writes. Considering the tone that Ennis has started with the series it will be interesting to see BKV write an all action comic about a rather dark character.

I am pretty jazzed.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:48 pm

Well, from that article it seems like we are going to take an intrinsic look at Midnighter via the medium of violence and Vaughan one liners. I'm in.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Lady Sheridan on Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:35 pm

I just finished Pride of Baghdad last night.

WHY DIDN'T ANYONE TELL ME IT WAS SO SAD?! :cry:

The ending caught me so off-guard that I didn't sit there and sniffle like We3. Very heartbreaking and disturbing.

I read it so fast that I'm not sure what to make of it yet. I really liked it though. I was looking for other reviews and didn't see any, I'd like to read some other takes on it.
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby Ribbons on Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:38 pm

Lady Sheridan wrote:I was looking for other reviews and didn't see any, I'd like to read some other takes on it.

Ask, anna ye shall receive, eh?
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Lady Sheridan on Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:41 pm

Ribbons wrote:
Lady Sheridan wrote:I was looking for other reviews and didn't see any, I'd like to read some other takes on it.

Dino? Why are you speaking through Ribbons? Did you die? :shock:

I'm sorry I missed it, but it serves me right for trying to post at work. :P
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby Ribbons on Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:49 pm

Lady Sheridan wrote:
Ribbons wrote:

Dino? Why are you speaking through Ribbons? Did you die? :shock:

Nah, I'm just taking his notes for him while he eats lunch
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby burlivesleftnut on Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:52 pm

Lady Sheridan wrote:I just finished Pride of Baghdad last night.

The ending caught me so off-guard that I didn't sit there and sniffle like We3. Very heartbreaking and disturbing.

I read it so fast that I'm not sure what to make of it yet. I really liked it though. I was looking for other reviews and didn't see any, I'd like to read some other takes on it.

I figured it would end badly, but not so fucking abruptly. Sheesh. I could have used 5 or six more pages.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Pacino86845 on Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:41 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:
Lady Sheridan wrote:I just finished Pride of Baghdad last night.

I figured it would end badly, but not so fucking abruptly. Sheesh. I could have used 5 or six more pages.

Yeah, like at least a couple of games of patty-cake with the bear before they started going at each other!!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Leckomaniac on Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:01 pm

LS some POB reviews can be found HERE and also in the Comic Book Review thread.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:06 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:LS some POB reviews can be found HERE

Hey Lecko, come here for a sec...

little closer...

closer...

Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Leckomaniac on Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:32 pm

Did I just get bitch slapped by Sly Stallone?
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

PreviousNext

Return to Comic Books