i heart Bryan K. Vaughan

Graphic novels. Weekly rags. The @$$holes.

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:00 am

Michael Chabon wrote:Brian turned in a script that caused grown men, or at least one grown man, to weep for joy. It is a script that well meets, and perhaps even exceeds, the expectations raised by the shadow of the parent novel: the need for a sense of immersion in a 'real' world of 'real' characters. It is absolutely faithful both to the spirit of Joe Kavalier and Sam Clay and Rosa Saks, and to that of the Escapist himself. And yet it is, thrillingly, unmistakably the work of Mr. Vaughan."

make that two grown men. Or, one grown man (Chabon) and one man-child / adultolescent (uh, me).

The shout out to omni-prescient letterer extroadinaire Todd Klein? Having "The Escapist" and the poorly named "Villainess" reciting the history of "The Escapist", mid throwback Golden Age theatrics? The musings of just what makes Cleveland a comic book creator haven? (Tho' I gotta say, I'm shocked "Maxwell", Vaughan's stand-in here, didn't know
Wiki wrote:In 1951, Cleveland, Ohio, disc jockey Alan Freed began playing this type of music for a multi-racial audience, and it is Freed who is credited with coining the phrase "rock and roll" to describe the rollicking R&B music that he brought to the airwaves.

Bryan K. Vaughan wrote:VERY loosely inspired by my experiences growing up in the comic-book Mecca that is Cleveland, Ohio (hometown of Superman creators Siegel & Shuster, Brian Bendis, Harvey Pekar, etc.), our story follows the behind-the-scenes adventures of a bunch of aspiring young comics creators, as they try to breathe new life into a Golden Age superhero known as the Escapist. I think it's an even stronger first issue than Y: THE LAST MAN 1 or EX MACHINA 1, so I really hope fans of those series will shell out four quarters and give this one a shot.

he may be right.

fuckin' great read.

my man love for Vaughan gets hotter.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:36 am

My fucking comics are late. So I have not read this yet.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:54 am

thedoglippedone wrote:My fucking comics are late. So I have not read this yet.

you suck and that's sad...
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Sat Jul 29, 2006 7:21 am

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
thedoglippedone wrote:My fucking comics are late. So I have not read this yet.

you suck and that's sad...

I know, I feel so Escapists-glib it hurts. God I suck.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby The Garbage Man on Sun Jul 30, 2006 2:02 am

thedoglippedone wrote:Hehehe, that's a cool way to remember your meeting with him.

So, have you read Runaways 18 yet?

What is the promo for Lions of Baghdad like? It sounds like a premise only Vaughan could pull off successfully. I can't wait to read it.

The promo was, sadly, only this flyer:

Still cool, though, and it should be a good book.
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby doglips on Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:14 am

Very cool. That book is going to be an interesting read.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby doglips on Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:29 pm

Just read this Vaughan interview at CBR containing a lot of Ex-Machina goodness. However I am in shock, there's a major fucking spoiler at the end of the interview - BE WARNED!
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:44 pm

thedoglippedone wrote:However I am in shock, there's a major fucking spoiler at the end of the interview - BE WARNED!

:?:

I didn't see it, or I already knew it (I guess, little help?)...
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:52 pm

Did I overreact?

The seeds of the finale are planted in the first two pages - Thats a pretty big spoiler for me, as I had not really thought about it ending within 50 issues. I had not even thought about how it might end, but the fact that Mitchell starts recounting his story in the first two pages should have triggered my slow as fuck brain really......
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:55 pm

thedoglippedone wrote:Did I overreact?

The seeds of the finale are planted in the first two pages - Thats a pretty big spoiler for me, as I had not really thought about it ending within 50 issues. I had not even thought about how it might end, but the fact that Mitchell starts recounting his story in the first two pages should have triggered my slow as fuck brain really......

oic.

I knew it was ending at 50, and that intro always struck me as important.

but I've got it up on my wall, so I see it most everyday...
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:58 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
thedoglippedon e wrote:Did I overreact?

oic.

I knew it was ending at 50, and that intro always struck me as important.

but I've got it up on my wall, so I see it most everyday...

I'd totally forgotten those pages, till I checked it just now.

I might start sticking important comic stuff to my wall, not sure what my Wife will make of that idea, but it's worth a go.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Pudie on Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:10 pm

So I started reading Runaways last night. I'm on issue 7 now and already I can see myself enjoying the hell out of it. And the first few pages with the Marvel heroes on the White House lawn trying to stop The Hulk was HILLARIOUS. Cant wait to see where it all goes.
Pudie
MAN IN SUIT

Postby doglips on Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:14 pm

Pudie wrote:So I started reading Runaways last night. I'm on issue 7 now and already I can see myself enjoying the hell out of it. And the first few pages with the Marvel heroes on the White House lawn trying to stop The Hulk was HILLARIOUS. Cant wait to see where it all goes.

You sir, are in for a treat!
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Pudie on Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:30 pm

FUNNEL CAKES!?!?
Pudie
MAN IN SUIT

Postby doglips on Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:57 am

Nice little interview with with Tony Harris at Newsarama, on his new art style for Ex-Machina. Incredibly the new inkwashing makes the book look even better than before - sweet!
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Pudie on Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:21 pm

Finsihed Runaways v1 last night

FANTASTIC ending to a fantastic story. Alex's betrayal was a total shock to be. Props to Vaghn for writing it so well and making it believable. And I honestly really like all of The Runaways. They all have something that makes em great and they all click as a whole.

What issue are they on now?
Pudie
MAN IN SUIT

Postby doglips on Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:28 pm

Runaways Vol. 1: Pride & Joy - Runaways vol. 1 #1-6
Runaways vol. 2: Teenage Wasteland - Runaways vol. 1 #7-12
Runaways vol. 3: The Good Die Young - Runaways vol. 1 #13-18
Runaways vol. 4: True Believers - Runaways vol. 2 #1-6
Runaways vol. 5: Escape to New York - Runaways vol. 2 #7-12

The next story, Parental Guidance has just finished in the monthlies, issue 19 is next.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Pudie on Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:35 pm

Gracias.
Pudie
MAN IN SUIT

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:27 am

thedoglippedone wrote:the new inkwashing makes the book look even better than before - sweet!

damn skippy.

let's hope that fucked up weed thief washes that mask very thoroughly after his unique use of it for sexual gratification...
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:29 am

Pudie wrote:Finsihed Runaways v1 last night

FANTASTIC ending to a fantastic story. Alex's betrayal was a total shock to me. Props to Vaghn for writing it so well and making it believable. And I honestly really like all of The Runaways. They all have something that makes em great and they all click as a whole.

fuck yes.

glad to have you aboard Pudie...
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Garbage Man on Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:22 pm

Finally got through Runaways 18 a couple of days ago, and as sad as it was I have to say I'm relieved. If anyone had to die, I'm glad it was that character, and the fallout from that death (along with other recently revealed secrets) will hopefully add more depth to a certain other character.
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby MasterWhedon on Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:33 pm

I read the first trade of Y: The Last Man today at Barnes and Noble and was instantly impressed. I don't think the writing or the art pop nearly as well as Runaways, but the story is set up so damn well. It's recently been optioned for a film, and I can see how that would work so well.

Any of you Y readers care to tell me what issue it's at now, and whether or not the series holds up? I can't really afford to run out and buy all the trades now, but if it's worth it, I'll figure something out.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Bob Samonkey on Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:57 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:I read the first trade of Y: The Last Man today at Barnes and Noble and was instantly impressed. I don't think the writing or the art pop nearly as well as Runaways, but the story is set up so damn well. It's recently been optioned for a film, and I can see how that would work so well.

Any of you Y readers care to tell me what issue it's at now, and whether or not the series holds up? I can't really afford to run out and buy all the trades now, but if it's worth it, I'll figure something out.

It has not steered me wrong yet. I have enjoyed every part of it. And my wife LOVES it.
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby doglips on Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:07 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:I read the first trade of Y: The Last Man today at Barnes and Noble and was instantly impressed. I don't think the writing or the art pop nearly as well as Runaways, but the story is set up so damn well. It's recently been optioned for a film, and I can see how that would work so well.

Get back to the bookstore! It's all goodness from here on in!

I'm up to date with the TPB's, the next one out is 'Kimono Dragons' in November, the monthlies are on issue 48. I think KeepCool and Lecko read it month by month.

The other TPB's are:

Vol. 2: Cycles,
Vol. 3: One Small Step,
Vol. 4: Safeword,
Vol. 5: Ring of Truth,
Vol. 6: Girl on Girl,
Vol. 7: Paper Dolls,
Vol. 8: Kimono Dragons.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby doglips on Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:21 pm

The Garbage Man wrote:Finally got through Runaways 18 a couple of days ago, and as sad as it was I have to say I'm relieved. If anyone had to die, I'm glad it was that character, and the fallout from that death (along with other recently revealed secrets) will hopefully add more depth to a certain other character.

As much as I'll miss Gert, I am looking forward to Chase going badass - That last page is great!
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby MasterWhedon on Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:43 pm

thedoglippedone wrote:

I'm up to date with the TPB's, the next one out is 'Kimono Dragons' in November, the monthlies are on issue 48. I think KeepCool and Lecko read it month by month.

The other TPB's are:

Very cool, thanks for that. I caught up on Ultimate Spider-Man in a similar fashion and just LOVED having more and more issues to pour through. In many ways I think it's a better experiece to have it all collected.

I know Vaughn said recently that he plans for Ex Machina to end at a certain point (though I haven't started on that one either), but is there a plan to wrap Y up in a similar fashion? Or is he making it so it can be an ongoing, possibly even after he's left?
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Bob Samonkey on Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:45 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:
thedoglippedone wrote:

The other TPB's are:

Very cool, thanks for that. I caught up on Ultimate Spider-Man in a similar fashion and just LOVED having more and more issues to pour through. In many ways I think it's a better experiece to have it all collected.

I know Vaughn said recently that he plans for Ex Machina to end at a certain point (though I haven't started on that one either), but is there a plan to wrap Y up in a similar fashion? Or is he making it so it can be an ongoing, possibly even after he's left?

I think he said 60. Could be wrong though.
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby doglips on Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:49 pm

I think there is under a year left on Y now, and Ex Machina is going to be 50 issues ( 22 at the moment ).

Ex Machina is my favourite Vaughan book, Runaways & Y are equal in stature under that. The first Ex trade is fucking amazing.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby MasterWhedon on Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:49 pm

Very cool. I prefer when there's an overall arc for a series versus having it go on and on, meandering from creative team to creative team.

I'd rather it be short and sweet than long and lopsided.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Leckomaniac on Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:49 pm

Nope issue 60 will definitely be the last. He has even said that there won't be any one-shots or any thing like that after he is done with Y.

He is writing both the Ex-Machina movie script and the Y movie script...he has said that the Y movie should be out around the time the series ends and that it is really a different type of story than the comic. The set up and characters of the same but the journey is more compact to fit it into a 2 hour film.

Y is like crack. Once you start reading it I defy you to try and stop. Each arc has a strang way of hooking you in so completely. Great stuff.

Hope that helps MW.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MasterWhedon on Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:52 pm

thedoglippedone wrote:Ex Machina is my favourite Vaughan book, Runaways & Y are equal in stature under that. The first Ex trade is fucking amazing.

I've heard wonderful things about it, just a little too late in the game. A friend has all the issues, so I'm gonna borrow them and catch up.

The Barnes and Noble I went to this morning--their comic sectiton was so fucking disorganized. Seriously, I was searching for Ultimate Spider-Man but could not find it for the life of me, so I said fuck it and picked up Y. Glad I did.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby doglips on Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:57 pm

I've only read up to trade 6 of Ulti-Spidey, have you read the Carnage arc? Is it good?
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Bob Samonkey on Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:00 pm

I thought it was Meh. I liked the rest of the arcs
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby doglips on Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:03 pm

Any outstanding ones to recommend?
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby MasterWhedon on Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:10 pm

It's been so long since I've read them, they all blend together. I definitely enjoyd the "Hollywood" arc and "Superstars" w/ the Human Torch, but I can't remember too many specifics right now. I only buy them in the hardcover, so my collection is of the earlier stuff at this point.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Ribbons on Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:11 pm

thedoglippedone wrote:I've only read up to trade 6 of Ulti-Spidey, have you read the Carnage arc? Is it good? Any outstanding ones to recommend?

The Carnage arc was pretty creepy, but I don't think it was anything spectacular (no pun intended). The first two issues of it, which were mostly set-up, were actually my favorites.

Ultimate Spidey arc that comes most highly recommended from me is the one where he takes down the Kingpin. I think that's like... 8-12? Not totally sure. It's the one with Electro and the Enforcers though.

Master Whedon made a good call on "Superstars," I forgot about that one, but it was a funny little two-parter. It also has what I think is my favorite Ult. Spidey quote ("Is she why you're Fire Boy?"). Can't think of anything else right now.

Sorry for the threadjack. :oops:
Last edited by Ribbons on Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Bob Samonkey on Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:13 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:It's been so long since I've read them, they all blend together. I definitely enjoyd the "Hollywood" arc and "Superstars" w/ the Human Torch, but I can't remember too many specifics right now. I only buy them in the hardcover, so my collection is of the earlier stuff at this point.

I really like the Human Torch one too.
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby doglips on Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:18 pm

Thanks guys, thread jack over!

I will badger my librarian to get the superstars TPB next then.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby MasterWhedon on Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:19 pm

I picked up the Ultimate Annuals trade the other day and skimmed the Spider-Man issue really quick (I had all of five minutes). It was the issue where he and Kitty Pryde first get together, and fuck me if it wasn't adorable. I really hope they print it in one of the hardcovers, because it's quality stuff.

EDIT: Umm, yeah, so about that "turn" in Chase...
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby doglips on Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:24 pm

I want Chase to really take charge of the team, showing us for the first time what he is capable of......fixing that time machine hopefully, I love time travel stories - nothing better to fuck your brain than trying to work out who, where, what etc when time machines are involved!
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby The Garbage Man on Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:32 pm

thedoglippedone wrote:
The Garbage Man wrote:Finally got through Runaways 18 a couple of days ago, and as sad as it was I have to say I'm relieved. If anyone had to die, I'm glad it was that character, and the fallout from that death (along with other recently revealed secrets) will hopefully add more depth to a certain other character.

As much as I'll miss Gert, I am looking forward to Chase going badass - That last page is great!

Definitely!

I've always liked Chase's character - the guy trying to be a confident badass who's surrounded by women much smarter and more powerful than he is. I'm really starting to like Victor, too. Xavin I'm not really big on, but the Runaways/Young Avengers crossover is mostly to blame for that.

And I've already had my turn at the "Vaughan killed my favorite character! I hate him! I love him!" phase with Alex, so here's hoping he keeps the body count down for the foreseeable future.

Oh, and to anyone who's not through Runaways #18 yet, DON'T read Civil War: Young Avengers / Runaways, it will spoil the surprise.
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby Pudie on Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:41 pm

Speaking of that crossover, I noticed Vaughn didn't do it.

Does the Runaways have a set arc like his other stuff? Or is he gonna do it as long as he can and then let it become a new Marvel thing with other people putting their spin on it?
Pudie
MAN IN SUIT

Postby The Garbage Man on Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:36 am

No, Vaughan didn't write it, but he did endorse the writer in one of his letter columns... so, er... there's that.

I don't think there's a concrete ending with Runaways like there is for Y and Ex Machina. I believe BKV has made comments along the lines of, he'll write it as long as they'll let him.
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby MasterWhedon on Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:42 am

The Garbage Man wrote:I don't think there's a concrete ending with Runaways like there is for Y and Ex Machina. I believe BKV has made comments along the lines of, he'll write it as long as they'll let him.

He said recently that he has it planned out to #25--so, through this next arc. My money's on him staying on for a good deal longer.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby doglips on Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:22 am

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
Bryan K. Vaughan wrote:VERY loosely inspired by my experiences growing up in the comic-book Mecca that is Cleveland, Ohio (hometown of Superman creators Siegel & Shuster, Brian Bendis, Harvey Pekar, etc.), our story follows the behind-the-scenes adventures of a bunch of aspiring young comics creators, as they try to breathe new life into a Golden Age superhero known as the Escapist. I think it's an even stronger first issue than Y: THE LAST MAN 1 or EX MACHINA 1, so I really hope fans of those series will shell out four quarters and give this one a shot.

he may be right.

fuckin' great read.

So does mine! and I'd agree that The Escapists 1 1is stronger than Ex 1 and Y 1 - How is that possible? Vaughan's talent really seems to have no ceiling.

Everything about this book is perfect - super tight script, great multi artist content and Miller / Bolland covers.

Plus every time Vaughan kills off one of my comic book crushes another of his characters steps in to fill the void. Case Weaver - HELLO!

Mini-series of the year? Probably, can't see anything else eclipsing this.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby doglips on Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:58 am

Check out some of BKV's musical tastes here!

Anyone here heard of The Raspberries?
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:50 pm

thedoglippedone wrote:
Keepcoolbutcar e wrote:

he may be right.

fuckin' great read.

So does mine! and I'd agree that The Escapists 1 1is stronger than Ex 1 and Y 1 - How is that possible? Vaughan's talent really seems to have no ceiling.

Everything about this book is perfect - super tight script, great multi artist content and Miller / Bolland covers.

Plus every time Vaughan kills off one of my comic book crushes another of his characters steps in to fill the void. Case Weaver - HELLO!

Mini-series of the year? Probably, can't see anything else eclipsing this.

Totally. Vaughan is the one comic book writer that I NEED to meet. It will probably get ugly though because I will give him a big hug and then probably refuse to let go.

Escapists 2 came out today...this just keeps getting better and better.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:01 pm

thedoglippedone wrote:Anyone here heard of The Raspberries?

The Eric Carmen (yes, "All By Myself" Eric Carmen) fronted, "Go All the Way" smash hit recording, (not)"Overnight Sensation"s?

you know Malkmus jacked "Overnight Sensation"'s lyric for "Stereo"?

Carmen "a big hit record / One that everybody's got to know."

Malkmus "Oh! Listen to me! I'm on the stereo! STEREO!"

yes, I've heard of them. Good stuff.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:05 pm

Oh, man...

I just read kcbc's post that quoted doglips' post about the Raspberries and I thought "That's so weird. I know I've heard of that band from somewhere..."

Of course I just realized that I heard of the band when I followed doglips' link to Vaughan's iPod music. Talk about a brain fart.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby doglips on Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:28 pm

Ribbons wrote:Oh, man...

I just read kcbc's post that quoted doglips' post about the Raspberries and I thought "That's so weird. I know I've heard of that band from somewhere..."

Of course I just realized that I heard of the band when I followed doglips' link to Vaughan's iPod music. Talk about a brain fart.

LOL, don't worry my brain is a fart!

I'm off to research teh raspberries. I knew KC would have the Lowdown!
doglips
MOD FAIRY

PreviousNext

Return to Comic Books