Aronofsky's THE FOUNTAIN: The Comic

Graphic novels. Weekly rags. The @$$holes.

Aronofsky's THE FOUNTAIN: The Comic

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:34 pm

I was debating whether to put this into the Movie section or the Comic section, but since this "adaptation" is supposed to be significantly different than the film (and it is a comic), I put it here...

Anyways, heres a review from THE ONION. Has anyone seen this comic yet? Although I do agree that the Vertigo "prestige art style" is a bit played (groundbreaking in 1988, sure; now? not so much.) I reckon this could be a neato comick to pick up. Can't wait for the film!

http://www.avclub.com/content/node/44978

Thoughts?
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby Shane on Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:19 pm

looks cool.

I didn't think the onion had anything real in it.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby Tubbs Tattsyrup on Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:36 pm

Funnily enough I saw this for the first time on sale today. 85 frickin' bucks (NZ$) though! It looks pretty awesome though. I thought the art looked boo-tee-full. But hey. Who the hell am I to judge comic art.
On YouTube or Vimeo.
Tubbs Tattsyrup
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby Gheorghe Zamfir on Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:58 pm

You can preview the first 13 pages online (pdf):

Vertigo
Gheorghe Zamfir
REAL DRAGON

Postby burlivesleftnut on Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:00 am

Is this something that should be read before seeing the movie? And how expensive is this in the states??!?
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby buster00 on Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:35 am

Dammit, not you guys too...?

I haven't read the fuckin' thing either!

I was coming in here, just like you, scoping for another trusted opinion to help sway my buying decision one way or another.

Helluva lotta good WE turned out to be, eh?
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pudie on Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:04 am

I wanna read this. But fuck paying $40
Pudie
MAN IN SUIT

Postby doglips on Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:36 am

It's £23 on Amazon UK, not too bad. I will have to get it as the film does not come out in the U.K. till December!
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:29 am

burlivesleftnut wrote:Is this something that should be read before seeing the movie? And how expensive is this in the states??!?

Read the review (The Onion usually has really great reviews). It sounds like it's interesting, but probably not $40 interesting. More like, $10 bucks interesting, $20 tops. $40 sound like big time nutso crayzay to me.
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby doglips on Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:44 am

Has anyone read this yet?

I just ordered it.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby doglips on Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:31 pm

It's not often that a book brings me to wipe a tear from my eye, but this is one of those books.

Absolutely fucking beautiful, through story, art and their effects.

Seriously, forget the price tag and go and get this book, Kent Williams art is worth it alone. Every panel is superb, so many incredibly strong emotions are being heaped upon you from the dialogue and William's amplifies every one with fantastic energy and amazing style. You are going to feel everything that the characters are going through.

What are they going through? Aronofsky has crafted a story that is extremely special, thought provoking and touching. If the film he gives us later in the year is in any way remotely similar to what I have just read, it will be film of the year. Period.

You all have to read this book......

10/10
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Flumm on Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:24 pm

Well, from what I hear, it's no X-Men and Frosty the Snowman in the Cretaceous Period!, but I'll see if I can get my hands on it.

Cheers, doglips!
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Nachokoolaid on Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:33 pm

thedoglippedone wrote:It's not often that a book brings me to wipe a tear from my eye, but this is one of those books.

Seriously, forget the price tag and go and get this book, Kent Williams art is worth it alone. Every panel is superb, so many incredibly strong emotions are being heaped upon you from the dialogue and William's amplifies every one with fantastic energy and amazing style. You are going to feel everything that the characters are going through.

What are they going through? Aronofsky has crafted a story that is extremely special, thought provoking and touching. If the film he gives us later in the year is in any way remotely similar to what I have just read, it will be film of the year. Period.

10/10

Damn. Any word on when this film opens? I am really anticipating it. It's my most anticipated of 06, in fact.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Flumm on Sat Apr 22, 2006 8:06 pm

Seing as it is quite expensive, I was looking around for the best prices I cound find, when I became curious to see the difference in cost across in the states...

It seems that Amazon have slashed the price from $40 for now, and it currently stands at $25...

The Fountain

I don't know if that's cheaper than you'll get in your local store or something, but I thought it was worth a headsup.
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pacino86845 on Fri May 12, 2006 6:35 am

thedoglippedone wrote:It's not often that a book brings me to wipe a tear from my eye, but this is one of those books.

10/10

I just bought it this morning based on your review, DLO. I will read it perhaps later this evening, or on the weekend.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby doglips on Fri May 12, 2006 7:54 am

Pacino86845 wrote:
thedoglippedone wrote: It's not often that a book brings me to wipe a tear from my eye, but this is one of those books.

10/10

I just bought it this morning based on your review, DLO. I will read it perhaps later this evening, or on the weekend.

Cool! I'm not liable if you don't like it am I?

Hope you love it!
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Pacino86845 on Fri May 12, 2006 10:15 am

thedoglippedone wrote:
Pacino86845 wrote:
thedoglippedone wrote: It's not often that a book brings me to wipe a tear from my eye, but this is one of those books.

10/10

Cool! I'm not liable if you don't like it am I?

Hope you love it!

You seem to be a cultured man to me, DLO, I think in the worst case scenario I won't regret the purchase... best-case is I love it as much as you did.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Pacino86845 on Sat May 13, 2006 7:22 am

I just read this last night, and in general I agree with what DLO said...

However, I'm not sure I could say I loved the comic. Thinking back on it, the whole thing gives off the feeling of being a slice of a bigger story, a more epic tale. So little is revealed, and it could have gotten more complex, but Aranofsky seems to have stripped down the dialogue, relying mostly on the visuals to tell his story and convey emotions. So as a comic, it seems a little unorthodox, which is a little bit jarring, but I don't think this is a criticism in any way.

The Fountain is destabilizing, and that's one of its strengths. The other strength is the artwork. Because Aranofsky defers so much to the illustrations, I feel that more than 50% of the work was done by Kent Williams. This seems very intentional, and Aranofsky must have had a lot of trust in Williams's work. In the end, this trust was more than justified, as the art work is magnificent.

I was anyways looking forward to the movie, with some high expectations, but I'm glad I read the graphic novel. In the end, I think it will appear as a "reimagining" of the film (even though it was finally released before), and each the film and graphic novel will convey some similar things to audiences/readers, but also a few different things.

My score is ?/10 :D
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby doglips on Sat May 13, 2006 7:47 am

Nice review Pacino, like you say it is unorthodox for a comic, it's more a fine art picture book.

I think the reason I found the Fountain so powerful is that from a few pages in, the message within the story becomes very apparent, and you know that the struggle that Tom is involved with is going to be futile, the outcome inevitable.

That outcome within the context of the love story was extremely emotive and it gave me a sucker punch, for sure. Coupled with Williams ethereal panels at the end of the book I got a strange sense of loss coupled with joy. A bit of an emotional rollercoaster.

I think those will be key emotions in the film.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Pacino86845 on Sat May 13, 2006 10:48 am

You know what DLO, the comic left some kind of sweet aftertaste that has just been sticking with me all day. I'm certainly going to reread it, there's that ethereal magic to it, very emotional indeed!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby doglips on Sat May 13, 2006 6:51 pm

I lent it to someone and am desperate to get it back, so I can re-read it.

It's a beautiful book.

Lets hope that the film works on the same levels.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Return to Comic Books