CIVIL WAR--NEW MASSIVE SPOILERS- BEWARE!!!!!!

Graphic novels. Weekly rags. The @$$holes.

Whose side are you on?

Iron Man
14%
Captain America
69%
undecided
17%

Total votes : 93

Postby Theta on Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:08 pm

Adam Balm wrote:Yeah, I'd have to agree with you on this one.

1) A public trial would be the perfect core for a book like this, a perfect forum for the ongoing debate.

2) It feels too much like they want you to side with the resistance, with stuff like this.

Personally, I'm trying to figure this one. Any writer loves a big public trial because he gets to be all showy and dramatic and write monologues...which makes me wonder if I'm unfairly holding the writer responsible for editorial's decisions.

Either way, "Uncle Sam and the Freedom Fighters" is going to fuck "Civil War" in the ass, mark my words.
This comment is in no way meant to insist your opinion is wrong or be considered an edict, solely this poster's opinion. That said, you are still a fool and will kneel before me in supplication.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby Adam Balm on Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:47 am

Theta wrote:

1) A public trial would be the perfect core for a book like this, a perfect forum for the ongoing debate.

2) It feels too much like they want you to side with the resistance, with stuff like this.

Personally, I'm trying to figure this one. Any writer loves a big public trial because he gets to be all showy and dramatic and write monologues...which makes me wonder if I'm unfairly holding the writer responsible for editorial's decisions.

Either way, "Uncle Sam and the Freedom Fighters" is going to fuck "Civil War" in the ass, mark my words.

If the Captain from the Authority is in it, he most definitely, literally will....
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Theta on Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:18 pm

Adam Balm wrote:
Theta wrote:

If the Captain from the Authority is in it, he most definitely, literally will....

He's not, but I understand the "conservative" Freedom Fighters torture suspects by using Doll Man's "gerbil method."
This comment is in no way meant to insist your opinion is wrong or be considered an edict, solely this poster's opinion. That said, you are still a fool and will kneel before me in supplication.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby King Of Nowhere on Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:21 pm

Roybertito wrote: I hate Captain America. The douche baggery is mindblowing in that character. He's almost as big of a douche bag as every member of the Fantastic Four... no, wait, he's as much of a douche bag as them, not as much of a douche bag as wheredidigo111.

this is true
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby Adam Balm on Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:28 am

Okay, I'm really getting sick of Reed's inconsistencies since the lead up to Civil War. But I was sure someone would explain why exactly Reed was giddy as a school girl after a national tragedy.

Reading JMS's newsarama interview, it looks like I have it:

"Moving back to story elements, when asked about Reed Richards’ motivation for joining the pro-registration side in Civil War, Straczynski said that in an upcoming issue, he has Peter Parker ask Reed that very question. As Straczynski related, Reed tells Peter about his uncle, who was a writer and creator, and was caught up in a McCarthy-esque witch hunt, and as a result, was jailed and saw his career destroyed. When Peter expresses his feelings of how horrible that must have been for Reed’s uncle, Mr. Fantastic says it was, but the law is the law is the law, and his uncle was wrong for not cooperating with the government – a stance by Reed which Peter finds unsettling."

The law is the law.

The problem is that Reed Richards has broken the law time and again when the laws were unjust. The FF got their powers only after Reed led them to steal a rocket ship from the government. In the run just previous to JMS's, Reed decides to defy international law that has given Doom safe haven and diplomatic immunity, and he frees the citizens of latveria.

Another problem? Reed testified against the Mutant Registration Act. And because of this, he's going to turn against Sue and Johnny, just to uphold a law that he may or may not agree with?

WTF?
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Theta on Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:32 am

Wait, that's Reed's "logic?"

See, this is why you should make a WRITER the editor in chief.

You know, like Jim Shooter. :D
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby King Psyz on Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:21 pm

there's gonna either be some huge thing down the road where Reed is being controlled by Doom or some other such nonsense. Something to wash away the now glaring inconsistancies with the character.
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby wheredidigo111 on Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:48 pm

I'm not caring about Civil War anymore. When Spider-Man unmasked himself is when I stoped caring.
wheredidigo111
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby King Psyz on Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:54 pm

that's funny cause when you started posting I stopped caring about what you have to say instantly.
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby Evil Hobbit on Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:50 am

I'm a Civil War rookie and I'm trying to catch up with this franchise. But where the hell do I start? :D Can I just read the Civil War issues? I picked up this overview at wikipedia:

The Road to Civil War (7 issues)

* Amazing Spider-Man #529-531 Mr. Parker goes to Washington
* Civil War: Opening Shot Sketchbook (one-shot)
* Fantastic Four #536-537 The Hammer Falls
* New Avengers: The Illuminati (one-shot)

Civil War (74 issues)

* Civil War (seven-issue miniseries)
* Civil War: Front Line (10-issue miniseries)
* Civil War: X-Men (four-issue miniseries)
* Civil War: Young Avengers & Runaways (four-issue miniseries)
* Amazing Spider-Man #532-538 The War at Home
* Black Panther #18
* Cable/Deadpool #30-32
* Captain America #22-24
* Daily Bugle: Civil War Edition (one-shot newspaper)
* Fantastic Four #538-543
* Heroes for Hire #1-3
* Iron Man v4 #13-14
* Marvel Spotlight: Millar/McNiven (one-shot)
* Ms. Marvel #6-8
* New Avengers #21-25: New Avengers: Disassembled
* Punisher: War Journal volume 2 #1-3
* She-Hulk v2 #8
* Thunderbolts #103-105
* Wolverine #42-47 Vendetta
* X-Factor #8-9

New titles

* Ant-Man
* Heroes for Hire
* Punisher: War Journal
* Spider-Woman

What do you guys suggest I do, just start with the road to issues if possible or just go straight for the real thing: Civil War (seven-issue miniseries)

Tx in advance.
Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

Postby papalazeru on Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:14 am

Civil war has a check list for all the comics.

Its worth getting them all as the stories are very well intertwined and....

a good money spinner for Marvel for all their flagging brands.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:46 am

Honestly EH, you can very easily follow CIVIL WAR by just reading the seven issue mini-series. (It is only on issue #2 so you are not that far behind.) The Amazing Spider-Man stuff has really worked well so it is worth your while to check out those issues, but it isn't necessary to following CIVIL WAR...it just helps get deeper into Peter's motives and Tony Stark's as well.

Front Line is the same thing. It just helps you understand peoples motives and what is happening at the ground level.

The Fantastic Four issues are pretty much pointless thus far...unless that Hammer plays into CIVIL WAR down the road.

If you need anymore questions...just ask in the thread...or you can PM me personally if you'd like a synopsis of each issue so you don't have to buy it.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Evil Hobbit on Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:08 pm

Tx for the heads up. I'll just start at Civil War then and catch up with all the prequels in the upcoming tpb's. I see that they are releasing a Civil War Prelude in november so that's a good change to catch up with those parts.

I do have this question. I picked up Amazing Spiderman 529 today and just finished reading it and one thing bothered me. Around page 20 Peter MJ and Tony walk up on a balcony after dinner. And then they have a discussion about Logan. What is Logans grudge against Tony? Why is het the only one on the 'team' that wouldn't die for him?
Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

Postby papalazeru on Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:18 pm

I think has to do with Logan wanting to go after Nitro and bring the guy to justice instead of everyone blaming super heroes.

Logan doesnt want to be a team player.,

papalazeru

Postby Evil Hobbit on Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:22 pm

Who is Nitro?
Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:27 pm

Evil Hobbit wrote:Who is Nitro?

Papa is wrong Evil Hobbit. The comment by Peter is meant to mean that Wolverine is still an untrusting bastard. Not to mention he is the only Mutant on the team...so he might be a little wary about the whole registering thing you know? Nothing more. (or at least I think that is the case...I don't have the issue in front of me).

Nitro is the person who effectively sets the whole CIVIL WAR in motion. You will see as soon as you read CIVIL WAR #1.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Evil Hobbit on Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:27 pm

Awesome stuff. Can't wait to read it. Let's hope my comic shop still has a issue 1 somewhere.

btw; isn't there 1 big awesome online comic store who ships worldwide? Like amazon for comics, but without the awfull shipping rates :)
Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

Postby Coheed_and_Cambria on Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:35 pm

Midtowncomics.com

where i get all my hard to find stuff!
Coheed_and_Cambria
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Evil Hobbit on Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:27 am

Sweet. My store here is always a month behind with issues. Like now you have uncanny 475 and they got 474.
Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

Postby ONeillSG1 on Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:22 am

wheredidigo111 wrote:I'm not caring about Civil War anymore. When Spider-Man unmasked himself is when I stoped caring.

King Psyz wrote:that's funny cause when you started posting I stopped caring about what you have to say instantly.

"All you need it love, love, love is all you need."
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby King Psyz on Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:31 am

Love and a baseball bat... and this paddle ball... and this ashtray... and this lamp...and this...thing. And that's all I need...
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby papalazeru on Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:37 am

sounds like a very good combination.

I would add to your list there Psyz....

King Psyz wrote: Love and a baseball bat... and this paddle ball... and this ashtray... and this lamp...and this...thing. And that's all I need...

...and an oven ready chicken and my flies to be open.

papalazeru

Postby Leckomaniac on Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:25 am

Evil Hobbit wrote:Sweet. My store here is always a month behind with issues. Like now you have uncanny 475 and they got 474.

Really? Where is that exactly? Are you outside the US? Because that is quite unfortunate that you are a month behind.

Mainly because Uncanny 475 is the first issue written by Ed Brubaker!
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Adam Balm on Fri Jul 07, 2006 3:20 am

I'm sure this has been pointed out before, but I just saw this tonight...

Apparently Millar began setting up the Tony-Reed-Hank triumvirate for a while, way back in Wolverine v3 #22 where we see them all meeting to discuss their projects and plans for the world. I probably wouldn't have taken notice of it had I not know what's happened since. Now it's a little bit chilling.

Could Millar have been setting this up as early as two years ago?
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Evil Hobbit on Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:45 am

Leckomaniac wrote:
Evil Hobbit wrote:Sweet. My store here is always a month behind with issues. Like now you have uncanny 475 and they got 474.

Really? Where is that exactly? Are you outside the US? Because that is quite unfortunate that you are a month behind.

Mainly because Uncanny 475 is the first issue written by Ed Brubaker!

Yep, I live in the Netherlands. Not in filthy Amsterdam, but the nice mini NY Rotterdam :). Fortunatly for me, the comic shop is straight across my office and I went over there just a few min ago and Uncanny 475 was there :D Can't wait to read it tonight. The rise and fall.. oh boy lets hope it's good.
Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

Postby DennisMM on Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:14 am

I read Frontline #2 last night, having originally told myself I would only buy the main title. Now I'm wondering if I shouldn't buy just Frontline, as it's been more interesting to me.

#2 makes it very clear why I'm with Captain America.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby Leckomaniac on Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:22 am

DennisMM wrote:I read Frontline #2 last night, having originally told myself I would only buy the main title. Now I'm wondering if I shouldn't buy just Frontline, as it's been more interesting to me.

#2 makes it very clear why I'm with Captain America.

I won't be able to read Frontline #2 until tomorrow...and after your praise I am definitely looking forward to it.

Did you like the first issue of Frontline? I thought it was interesting, but kept thinking that it was a bit...much. What with all the tie-in's already...now to have this book. It is definitely an interesting concept though.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:35 am

#1 was interesting, but not enough that I put it on my hold list. Buying #2 was a continued try-out for me, and I was pleasantly surprised.

I think Frontline should have been considered the primary tie-in. It's like Marvels in the way it views a larger situation. Screw superheroes fighting over some government regulation and show us how it affects the people. The super-conflict itself should have been the background story for the entire concept, but that would not sell to the typical reader.

There are four stories in #2, shorter but quite effective. It's pretty clear where Jenkins stands, at least on most issues, regardig the Act.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM

Postby Petri on Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:53 am

i'm also reading the Frontlines tie-in and it really does help dig deeper into the main Civil War story.
Petri
REAL DRAGON

Postby Leckomaniac on Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:55 am

Thanks for the response Dennis. I agree with you about #1. I think Frontline has the potential to be an excellent companion book to CIVIL WAR. I really think they should have made CIVIL WAR double sized and included Frontline as a back-up story to the main title...or they should release them both on the same day (and have Frontline at a reduced price). Because the two books should really go hand in hand. But Marvel is a lot more interested in sales.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pudie on Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:30 am

So I read June checklist ... and damn. Shits at a boiling point. It's gonna get ugly real soon. Im really digging the whole thing, especially Frontlines(#2 was indeed fantastic) and Spiderman(I loved the dual bad/good guy panels).

Avengers and Wolverine are good too, just not as good IMO.
Pudie
MAN IN SUIT

Postby wheredidigo111 on Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:57 am

I just found out that The Punisher is going to be in Civil War. But we all know that. I also found out is that he's going to kill someone in Civil War. My bet is on Agent Maria Hill of S.H.I.E.L.D. .
wheredidigo111
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Petri on Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:41 am

wheredidigo111 wrote:I just found out that The Punisher is going to be in Civil War. But we all know that. I also found out is that he's going to kill someone in Civil War. My bet is on Agent Maria Hill of S.H.I.E.L.D. .

God I hope so. I hate her so much.
Petri
REAL DRAGON

Postby Leckomaniac on Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:46 am

I love that Marvel is bringing back the newspaper bit from House of M and using it for Civil War. I thought that was a great idea for House of M and it works even better for Civil War. I am definitely going to be picking that up...and its cheap as hell so there really isn't any reason not to.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:01 am

Leckomaniac wrote:Thanks for the response Dennis. I agree with you about #1. I think Frontline has the potential to be an excellent companion book to CIVIL WAR. I really think they should have made CIVIL WAR double sized and included Frontline as a back-up story to the main title...or they should release them both on the same day (and have Frontline at a reduced price). Because the two books should really go hand in hand. But Marvel is a lot more interested in sales.

Quite obvious. I don't think they could justify more than another $2 for a double-sized comic, but selling Frontline separately generates another dollar beyond that. I don't think Frontline will sell as strongly as CW, though, so there's an economic tradeoff somewhere.
DennisMM

Postby Leckomaniac on Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:10 am

DennisMM wrote:
Leckomaniac wrote:Thanks for the response Dennis. I agree with you about #1. I think Frontline has the potential to be an excellent companion book to CIVIL WAR. I really think they should have made CIVIL WAR double sized and included Frontline as a back-up story to the main title...or they should release them both on the same day (and have Frontline at a reduced price). Because the two books should really go hand in hand. But Marvel is a lot more interested in sales.

Quite obvious. I don't think they could justify more than another $2 for a double-sized comic, but selling Frontline separately generates another dollar beyond that. I don't think Frontline will sell as strongly as CW, though, so there's an economic tradeoff somewhere.

I wonder if...when they eventually release CW as a trade...they will include Frontline as part of the collection? Or if they will make you buy the two collections? I never bought any of the House of M trades so I don't know how Marvel handles tie-ins and what not.

Yesterday when I went back and looked over the first two issues of CW and Frontline I was left with the same thought...that they should have done CW as double-sized issues. But, I suppose it really doesn't matter now. Besides, it is extremely entertaining.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Iconoclastica on Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:24 am

Leckomaniac wrote:
DennisMM wrote:

I wonder if...when they eventually release CW as a trade...they will include Frontline as part of the collection? Or if they will make you buy the two collections? I never bought any of the House of M trades so I don't know how Marvel handles tie-ins and what not.

Yesterday when I went back and looked over the first two issues of CW and Frontline I was left with the same thought...that they should have done CW as double-sized issues. But, I suppose it really doesn't matter now. Besides, it is extremely entertaining.

The most logical thing would be to arrange all of the books in relative chronological order (or at least group the ones that occur simultaneously), and sell them that way. Otherwise, keeping up with the different stories would be difficult as all hell while going from trade to trade, trying to figure out the right order of when things were released so you don't spoil certain things and miss out on others. It would also be the best way for them to ensure that people would buy multiple volumes, rather than just the single volume of their favorite characters/storyline, or just the main storyline. They'll probably have a comprehensive one available, and then just a single trade with only the main Civil War book with Frontline tacked on in between (and with additional bonuses, like additional covers or something like that).

But that's just my opinion . . . knowing Marvel, they'll probably go the route of M and release the main book, then the separate lines each as their own volume . . . anyone know if they've said anything yet about their plan?

I am Jack's broken heart
Iconoclastica
DEADLY ZONETTE

Postby wheredidigo111 on Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:12 pm

Iconoclastica wrote:
Leckomaniac wrote:
DennisMM wrote:

The most logical thing would be to arrange all of the books in relative chronological order (or at least group the ones that occur simultaneously), and sell them that way. Otherwise, keeping up with the different stories would be difficult as all hell while going from trade to trade, trying to figure out the right order of when things were released so you don't spoil certain things and miss out on others. It would also be the best way for them to ensure that people would buy multiple volumes, rather than just the single volume of their favorite characters/storyline, or just the main storyline. They'll probably have a comprehensive one available, and then just a single trade with only the main Civil War book with Frontline tacked on in between (and with additional bonuses, like additional covers or something like that).

But that's just my opinion . . . knowing Marvel, they'll probably go the route of M and release the main book, then the separate lines each as their own volume . . . anyone know if they've said anything yet about their plan?

I don't know. My head exploded reading your's and the other post.
wheredidigo111
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby MasterWhedon on Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:58 pm

Iconoclastica wrote:The most logical thing would be to arrange all of the books in relative chronological order (or at least group the ones that occur simultaneously), and sell them that way. Otherwise, keeping up with the different stories would be difficult as all hell while going from trade to trade, trying to figure out the right order of when things were released so you don't spoil certain things and miss out on others. It would also be the best way for them to ensure that people would buy multiple volumes, rather than just the single volume of their favorite characters/storyline, or just the main storyline. They'll probably have a comprehensive one available, and then just a single trade with only the main Civil War book with Frontline tacked on in between (and with additional bonuses, like additional covers or something like that).

Yeah, Marvel tends to release each series on its own when they have a number of tie-ins. They did this with House of M and Avengers Disassembled, as well as Age of Apocalypse back in the day.

The notable exception to this is the recent collection of Age of Apocalypse, which looked to throw together the whole series into four volumes. That is to say, they took the seven or so titles and collected them month by month (there were four months). You only get one issue of each series per collection, but they are told chronologically.

Doc Holliday is reading them this way. It might be interesting to hear what he has to say.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Leckomaniac on Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:07 pm

That is unfortunate. For the benefit of future readers...they should really collect CW and Frontline together. I love both series...I just hate having to buy them individually.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby wheredidigo111 on Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:41 pm

After two overhyped issues. I may be wrong but it feel like it's losing it's power over everyone. I find myself not caring about it. The frist one... Well it's the frst one. We all got to get the frist one because it's the frist one. Who cares if it's good or bad. Number #2? Well the only good one in the issue was Spider-Man unmask then seeing the Spider-Man fans go crazy over it.

That's all past what is there now. All we get is superheroes beating the crap out ethother. And the Villains taking over. Well that's what happenes when there are no heroes around. Villains come in and kill everyone. All because the superheroes are killing one another.
wheredidigo111
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby MasterWhedon on Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:50 pm

wheredidigo111 wrote:After two overhyped issues. I may be wrong but it feel like it's losing it's power over everyone. I find myself not caring about it. The frist one... Well it's the frst one. We all got to get the frist one because it's the frist one. Who cares if it's good or bad. Number #2? Well the only good one in the issue was Spider-Man unmask then seeing the Spider-Man fans go crazy over it.

That's all past what is there now. All we get is superheroes beating the crap out ethother. And the Villains taking over. Well that's what happenes when there are no heroes around. Villains come in and kill everyone. All because the superheroes are killing one another.

Even if it's as simple as you describe it, that's still a really compelling story.

And I personally think there was a hell of a lot going on in both Civil War #1 and #2. They're just meant to sew the seeds. This sucker is barely getting off the ground, and it's going to be HUGE.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Iconoclastica on Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:52 pm

wheredidigo111 wrote:That's all past what is there now. All we get is superheroes beating the crap out ethother. And the Villains taking over. Well that's what happenes when there are no heroes around. Villains come in and kill everyone. All because the superheroes are killing one another.

What else do you want from a comic? There are multiple subplots all over the place, all of which have their own appeal to fans of different heroes, in addition to the incredibly human element contributed by Frontline . . . I dunno, man, to me this seems pretty damn effective at keeping the masses interested in where things are going, which alliances are going to shift, and which individuals (both heroes and villains) are going to go at it. There are three major battlefronts, and numerous smaller ones, all of which have shit hitting the fan at various increments and various degrees of intensity - how can this possibly be perceived as boring?

I am Jack's broken heart
Iconoclastica
DEADLY ZONETTE

Postby Leckomaniac on Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:00 pm

The last thing in the world I would call CW is boring. I think this has been one of the most compelling comic book "events" in recent memory. The reprecussions are going to be HUGE and they look to be here for the long run. (no time travel, memory wipe stuff so far). Like MW said...the first two issues were simply lighting the fuse...this powder keg is going to erupt soon. And I, for one, can't wait to be there when it does.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MasterWhedon on Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:13 pm

Should I be picking up Frontline? I've avoided it thus far, as I really don't care much for Sally What's Her Name from Generation M. I figured maybe I'll read it in trade at some point, but is it worth my time to read now?
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Leckomaniac on Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:19 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:Should I be picking up Frontline? I've avoided it thus far, as I really don't care much for Sally What's Her Name from Generation M. I figured maybe I'll read it in trade at some point, but is it worth my time to read now?

I would say yes. The first issue was interesting...but the second issue was just awesome. Like many have said it isn't "essential" but it definitely broadens the scope of the event. It lets you realize just how big it is. I think it is an excellent companion to CW. If you can spare the cash...I'd say spring for it. It will only enhance your experience.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Iconoclastica on Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:20 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:Should I be picking up Frontline? I've avoided it thus far, as I really don't care much for Sally What's Her Name from Generation M. I figured maybe I'll read it in trade at some point, but is it worth my time to read now?

Thus far, I'm a huge fan of it, and find it to be a simple but very effective supplement to the material of the main title. I'll get back to you after I read number three this evening as to whether or not I think it can hold off until it comes out as a trade :wink:

EDIT: hehe, yay for slow internet and unintentional redundancy 8)
Last edited by Iconoclastica on Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I am Jack's broken heart
Iconoclastica
DEADLY ZONETTE

Postby Petri on Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:21 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:

I would say yes. The first issue was interesting...but the second issue was just awesome. Like many have said it isn't "essential" but it definitely broadens the scope of the event. It lets you realize just how big it is. I think it is an excellent companion to CW. If you can spare the cash...I'd say spring for it. It will only enhance your experience.

I agree. Just seeing Iron Man take another superhero down in the second issue made it worth it for me.
Petri
REAL DRAGON

Postby Leckomaniac on Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:25 pm

HA! I bet someone from Marvel is reading this going "THANK GOD!" with dollar signs in his eyes. We are practically doing all of their promotional work for them.

It just goes to show that if you put out a quality product...you don't have to work as hard to sell it. The nerd community will do that for you.

EDIT: MW myself and a couple of other people responded to your question in the previous page. FYI.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MasterWhedon on Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:27 pm

Yeah, I tend not to buy too many of the peripheral stories during the big events. Most of the time it's because... well, because they kinda suck. But I do like the concept of Frontline a good deal.

And I will be picking up Civil War: X-Men as I'm rather intrigued as to how--MILD SPOILER!!--Bishop, the government-fearing, war-torn soldier from the future, ends up on the pro-registration side.

Leckomaniac wrote:EDIT: MW myself and a couple of other people responded to your question in the previous page. FYI.

Saw it, thanks.
Last edited by MasterWhedon on Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

PreviousNext

Return to Comic Books