CIVIL WAR--NEW MASSIVE SPOILERS- BEWARE!!!!!!

Graphic novels. Weekly rags. The @$$holes.

Whose side are you on?

Iron Man
14%
Captain America
69%
undecided
17%

Total votes : 93

Postby athenabodicea on Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:34 pm

Brocktune wrote:good.
that'll give me time to secure that loan from my bank so i can afford all of that weeks crossover titles.

Seconded!!!!

Why cant they spread this out a little better??
Going broke before labor day weekend is no good....
On a lighter note, I do get 3 paychecks this month (bi weekly checks suck)...

ALSO.... I am so pissed that I didnt get the original She Hulk... I just bought the second edition & the cover was pretty funny....
ImageImageImage
athenabodicea
GEEK GODDESS

Postby Vegeta on Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:42 pm

athenabodicea wrote:ALSO.... I am so pissed that I didnt get the original She Hulk... I just bought the second edition & the cover was pretty funny....

I had the original She-Hulk #8 cover than spilled a beer on it. :evil:
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby athenabodicea on Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:51 pm

Vegeta wrote:
athenabodicea wrote:ALSO.... I am so pissed that I didnt get the original She Hulk... I just bought the second edition & the cover was pretty funny....

I had the original She-Hulk #8 cover than spilled a beer on it. :evil:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

j/k kinda... ;)

Well at least you spilled beer on it...
But wait.... that is a waste of beer AND made a waste of your comic book...

Its sort of like the opposite of a reeses peanut butter cup... (you know chocolate and peanut butter are really good together)...

Well beer and comic books is like the bizarro peanut butter cup or something......
ImageImageImage
athenabodicea
GEEK GODDESS

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:55 pm

Looks like Civil War has been delayed.

[quote]In information released to comic book retailers Tuesday, Marvel has announced that issue #4 and 5 of their hugely successful Civil War series are being delayed.

Civil War #4 [and all its variant cover editions], originally scheduled to be released tomorrow, is now scheduled for September 20th. Issue #5 and all its variants, originally scheduled for next month, is now scheduled for November 15th.

And because of the nature of the storyline, the delays in the main series will affect the related and tie-in titles, like Civil War: Front Line.

In the announcement, Marvel wrote:

“Over the next few weeks, the Civil War proper title and a few of the tie in books that are closely related to the story in the main book will be shipping later than originally planned. In an attempt to accommodate the creative team of Millar and McNiven and keep the artistic integrity and high standards of the event, we will be shifting the following titles:

CIVIL WAR 4 (JUN061952; $2.99) moves to 9/20
CIVIL WAR 4 TURNER VARIANT (JUN061953; $2.99) moves to 9/20
CIVIL WAR 4 TURNER SKETCH VARIANT (APR068201; $2.00) moves to 9/20
FANTASTIC FOUR 540 (JUN061961; $2.99) moves to 9/20
CIVIL WAR FRONT LINE 6 (JUN061955; $2.99) moves to 9/27
AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 535 (JUN061938; $2.99) moves to 9/27

CIVIL WAR FRONT LINE 7 (JUL061956; $2.99) moves to 10/11

CIVIL WAR 5 (JUL061952; $2.99) moves to 11/15
CIVIL WAR 5 TURNER VARIANT (JUL061953; $2.99) moves to 11/15
CIVIL WAR 5 TURNER SKETCH VARIANT (JUL061954; $2.00) moves to 11/15
CIVIL WAR FRONT LINE 8 (JUL061957; $2.99) moves to 11/22
PUNISHER WAR JOURNAL 1 (JUL061988; $2.99) moves to 11/22
PUNISHER WAR JOURNAL 1 (Black and White) (JUL061989; $2.99) moves to 11/22
FANTASTIC FOUR 541 (JUL061965; $2.99) moves to 11/22
AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 536 (JUL061941; $2.99) moves to 11/22

CIVIL WAR 6 (AUG062033; $2.99) moves to 12/20
CIVIL WAR 6 TURNER VARIANT (AUG062034; $2.99) moves to 12/20
CIVIL WAR 6 TURNER SKETCH VARIANT (AUG062035; $2.00) moves to 12/20
CIVIL WAR FRONT LINE 9 (AUG062036; $2.99) moves to 12/20
PUNISHER WAR JOURNAL 2 (AUG062066; $2.99) moves to 12/28

CIVIL WAR FRONT LINE 10 (AUG062037; $2.99) moves to 1/4/07
AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 537 (AUG062018; $2.99) moves to 1/4/07
FANTASTIC FOUR 542 (AUG062045; $2.99) moves to 1/4/07
CIVIL WAR 7 moves to 1/17, Not yet solicited
AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 538 Not yet solicited
FANTASTIC FOUR 543 moves to 1/24/07, Not yet solicited

NEW ADDITIONS TO THE CIVIL WAR CHECKLIST!

BLACK PANTHER 23 CW December 2006
CIVIL WAR: WAR CRIMES December 2006 ONE SHOT

BLACK PANTHER 24 CW January 2007

BLACK PANTHER 25 CW February 2007
CIVIL WAR FRONT LINE 11 February 2007
Also, starting in November some Marvel will be branded as “Casualties of Warâ€
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:05 pm

You get an idea of which "crossover" titles Marvel considers the most integral to the actual event by reading the press release posted above. The fact that most of their books are missing from this list, even a couple that I know for a fact have "CIVIL WAR" stamped all over them, seems to indicate that they have very little in common with the central story. You could probably read them all and know next to nothing about what's actually going on in the grander scheme of things.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:16 pm

A Millar comic...delayed?

shocked I say.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby cap on Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:36 pm

Prepare to stomp....

Have they had a major storyline shift.... or something like that. Foresight is sometimes not the best quality of a comic book writer.

Ambition - The journey of a thousand miles sometimes ends very, very badly
cap
AIRWOLF

Postby wheredidigo111 on Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:53 pm

Well if you want the rest of Civil War your going to have to wait for it just like everyone else. http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/0608/15/civilwar.htm
wheredidigo111
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby MasterWhedon on Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:56 pm

wheredidigo111 wrote:Well if you want the rest of Civil War your going to have to wait for it just like everyone else. http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/0608/15/civilwar.htm

Look up four posts.

Millar, McNiven and Bryan Hitch all commented on the delay. You can read it HERE. Basically, Marvel is giving McNiven the time to finish the entire series himself without a fill-in artist. And if that's the case, I will GLADLY wait.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:06 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:
wheredidigo111 wrote:Well if you want the rest of Civil War your going to have to wait for it just like everyone else. http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/0608/15/civilwar.htm

Look up four posts.

Millar, McNiven and Bryan Hitch all commented on the delay. You can read it HERE. Basically, Marvel is giving McNiven the time to finish the entire series himself without a fill-in artist. And if that's the case, I will GLADLY wait.

Thats fine. I am just upset that Joe Q. kept promising that this series would not be delayed and that it was planned out way in advance. I want this series to look the best it can...just don't treat us like fools Joe.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:06 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:Basically, Marvel is giving McNiven the time to finish the entire series himself without a fill-in artist. And if that's the case, I will GLADLY wait.

Eko'd. Especially on the strength of the first three issues, which were just gorgeous.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby tfactor on Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:07 pm

I just wanted to pop in here and say that I just started reading these and I've gotten thru; opening shot, civil war 1, spidey 532, front line 1 & 2 and I can't fucking wait to actually come into this thread and finally have somethng to say.

This is probably by far one of the coolest things I've ever seen happen with comic books and I am hooked.

thats it!
see you soon
T
tfactor
KING SMARMY

Postby wheredidigo111 on Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:19 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:
MasterWhedon wrote:

Look up four posts.

Thats fine. I am just upset that Joe Q. kept promising that this series would not be delayed and that it was planned out way in advance. I want this series to look the best it can...just don't treat us like fools Joe.

I find it funny hat this is not the only story Millar did that was delayed. In fact a lot of his work as been delayed.
wheredidigo111
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:17 am

Just thought I would give this thread a bump since Civil War #4 is coming out today.

Remember, please post all spoilers in tiny text. Be considerate.

That being said...Thor looked read to kick some A$$ and I for one, can't wait to see why!
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Ginger Man on Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:39 pm

Obviously SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS

WTF, man! Civil War has jumped the shark. This is ridiculous.

Reed Richards cloned Thor from a strand of hair that Tony Stark kept from their first ever Avengers meeting? And Reed is cloning other superheros to create a controllable army of heroes.......Wha?!? And Iron Man bringing supervillains momentarily out of jail so as to track down Cap.....this is....well, I don't know what it is other than bad characterization. I don't buy that in the same issue, Tony Stark is revealed to have had the forsight to keep a strand of Thor's hair from decades ago....but can't see that hiring Supervillains to take down heroes will end very, very badly.

I'm calling shenanigans.
The Ginger Man
Hong Kong Drizzle

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:44 pm

So, uh... How 'bout that Thor?

SPOILERS FOR CIVIL WAR #4!!

Well, "Thor" did not fucking disappoint. Motherfucker kicked some SERIOUS ass in that opening fight. Those wild, manic eyes of his were great.

The death of Goliath was pretty incredible, and a moment I really wasn't expecting. I mean, we'd all heard a death was coming, but I assumed it would've been someone like Johnny Storm--a MAJOR player. Still, I found it very effective, especially seeing Goliath in the grave.

Clearly, Spider-Man is turning to Cap's side. This makes sense as well now that we see it's the "New Thunderbolts" hunting him down on the cover to #5.

Speaking of whom, I can't say I approve of some of the tactics being deployed by Tony's side, but I do still stand with them. Mrs. Whateverhernameis' comments at the funeral ring true to me, as does the exchange between Luke Cage and Nighthawk.

"Super heroes are supposed to be volunteers."

"No, we're supposed to be the good guys."

The war's getting messy, and I very much like it.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:56 pm

The Ginger Man wrote:Reed Richards cloned Thor from a strand of hair that Tony Stark kept from their first ever Avengers meeting? And Reed is cloning other superheros to create a controllable army of heroes.......Wha?!? And Iron Man bringing supervillains momentarily out of jail so as to track down Cap.....this is....well, I don't know what it is other than bad characterization. I don't buy that in the same issue, Tony Stark is revealed to have had the forsight to keep a strand of Thor's hair from decades ago....but can't see that hiring Supervillains to take down heroes will end very, very badly.

I'm calling shenanigans.

small is the new big...

yeah, the Reed characterization has been my HUGE drawback with the series thus far. So far out of character that he's utterly unrecognizable...this is not any Reed we've ever seen, and it seems like it's only for plot contrivance, not character. Did like Sue's switcheroo, but that has been telegraphed from the start. Loved Ben's expression with his hand on the window tho'. Parker being all wishy-washy is just lazy writing. Punisher shows up next issue, no? So each side will continue to make compromises with their supposed ideals, how long until we see a third faction, possibly led by Spidey?

Still better than House of M, but that's hardly a compliment...
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Ginger Man on Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:57 pm

I was pretty underwhelmed by Goliath's death. Mainly b/c his inclusion in the story came out of nowhere. Goliath was depowered back in 1995, in The Avengers. He then showed up again in Dan Slott's The Thing #1. It was never explained how he got his powers back. And now he's dead. It felt very much like, "Hey guys...who can I kill in issue 4?"

"Uh....Goliath isnt' doing anything."

"Hmmm. Not bad. I should probably put him in the story then."
The Ginger Man
Hong Kong Drizzle

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:03 pm

MasterWhedon wrote: Still, I found it very effective, especially seeing Goliath in the grave.

hope those gravediggers got paid something extra...

MasterWhedon wrote:Speaking of whom, I can't say I approve of some of the tactics being deployed by Tony's side, but I do still stand with them.

um, what?

playing God? Turning to psychotics for reinforcements?

your "side" is morally bankrupt and counter-productive...
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:10 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:Punisher shows up next issue, no? So each side will continue to make compromises with their supposed ideals, how long until we see a third faction, possibly led by Spidey?

Uh-oh. I hope he doenst kill any suprevillin and goes crazy on them. Tehn who ever is behind Civil War will kil him to stop the insantiny because he know that he want care about killing who ever is behind Civil War. Do to he KILLS PEOPLE! So excited?
Last edited by Ribbons on Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby The Ginger Man on Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:12 pm

I'm with KCBC on this. Stark's team has lost the moral high ground. Their tactics have become more dangerous than what they're trying to regulate.

They've unleashed a relatively uncontrollable, murderous THUNDER GOD onto the world. We don't even know what other heroes have been cloned. And now there are government sanctioned Supervillains running hunting heroes.

Now that they've registered, they seem to have free reign to do whatever they please.Stark and company have become exactly what the American people were fearing when the registration act was passed. Superpowered Humans without any regulation.
The Ginger Man
Hong Kong Drizzle

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:20 pm

The Ginger Man wrote:I'm with KCBC on this. Stark's team has lost the moral high ground. Their tactics have become more dangerous than what they're trying to regulate.

Now that they've registered, they seem to have free reign to do whatever they please.Stark and company have become exactly what the American people were fearing when the registration act was passed. Superpowered Humans without any regulation.

do you have enough time on your hands to polish all of my ramblings?

I sound so much smarter with you redacting my thoughts...
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:27 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
MasterWhedon wrote:Speaking of whom, I can't say I approve of some of the tactics being deployed by Tony's side, but I do still stand with them.

um, what?

I think you've forgotten how much I enjoy fascism.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:33 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:
Keepcoolbutcare wrote:

um, what?

I think you've forgotten how much I enjoy fascism.

I miss Zombie...

(no I don't)
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Ginger Man on Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:35 pm

Sooo. It's looking like wheredidigo might have been kinda right...sorta.

Over in Wolverine #46, it's been revealed...

Someone actually is behind Civil War. A group called Damage Control, whose job was to clean up after superpower disasters has started causing disasters. It seems they powered up Nitro so he could cause all that damage. And all in the name of profiteering off the war that followed.

I know they're going for the "real world" correlation here...but I find it pretty dissapointing that anyone was behind civil war, even in this capacity.
The Ginger Man
Hong Kong Drizzle

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:56 pm

The Ginger Man wrote:Sooo. It's looking like wheredidigo might have been kinda right...sorta.

Over in Wolverine #46, it's been revealed...

Someone actually is behind Civil War. A group called Damage Control, whose job was to clean up after superpower disasters has started causing disasters. It seems they powered up Nitro so he could cause all that damage. And all in the name of profiteering off the war that followed.

I know they're going for the "real world" correlation here...but I find it pretty dissapointing that anyone was behind civil war, even in this capacity.

It would be such a disservice to the ideas of the story, to the central debate for them to have a mastermind behind it all.

Then again, it would be a quick fix that would get everyone back to being buddies again. But what a bullshit way to do it.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:15 pm

well, if they "got to" Reed somehow, at least that lingering stench of TOTAL CHARACTER REVERSAL will make some sense.

but yuck, bad medicine.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Ginger Man on Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:36 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:well, if they "got to" Reed somehow, at least that lingering stench of TOTAL CHARACTER REVERSAL will make some sense.

but yuck, bad medicine.

I keep reading that Reed's character hasn't reversed. That this totally fits the established Reed b/c he's just getting so involved with the idea of a better world that he's letting all other things, like morals, fall to the wayside.

For the 2nd time today, I will call shenanigans.
The Ginger Man
Hong Kong Drizzle

Postby Ribbons on Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:42 pm

I think the biggest twist of "Civil War" would be if wheredidigo turned out to be right all along.

Also, second the shenanigans on Reed. A lot of more recent writers have liked to play up his genius as a sort of social disorder, and even though I don't agree with it in general, I think Millar's pushing it to ridiculous extremes with this series.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:48 pm

I have to say that this issue really bugged me. I was really hoping that Millar and Marvel would stick to their promise that "no side would be portrayed as the villain" and thus far that has kind of been the case. Tony has been portrayed as an asshole but thats about it. This issue makes one side the bad guy and the other side the good guy, IMO. It is clear that the anti-reg guys are the more sympathetic characters.

Thor was kick ass though. And the death was handled well. But overall this issue leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

I think Ginger Man was correct, Civil War might have just jumped the shark.

EDIT: Interesting interview with Mark Millar and Tom Brevoort about issue # 4 over in the "Civil War Room" at newsarama.com:

NRAMA: In that vein, and with all that has been said of presenting both sides, can you honestly say now that the Pro-Registration side isn't being shown in a negative light? Can you expect readers at this point, to be backing the Registration side?

MM: Yes. And as the series continues I think you'll see more of that, especially in the main series. Personally, I would support Tony and I think most people in the real world would too.

TB: We're not deliberately presenting the Pro-Registration side in a negative way. Mistakes are made, on both sides. I do think that the average reader's sympathy is more likely to be with the Anti-Registration side to start with, as I've been saying all along. It's human nature to root for the underdog. And, in point of fact, none of the heroes specifically unleash Thor on the Anti-Reg guys (though he's in place to be an element from the start). That said, in the opening of Civil War #5 you'll get a much better sense of Tony's vision of the future, and what he, Reed and Hank have been working on.

I must say that I disagree (obviously). I really do hope that the pro-reg side becomes a bit less villainous.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Ginger Man on Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:06 pm

Yeah, that interview with MM and TB is pretty off the mark. I'm sure they believe everything they say, but that's not how their story has come across. That's their failing as writers/artists.

And I think there's a point that MM and TB are missing. We, as an audience of any medium, have been conditioned against what Stark is trying to do. When characters in a dramatic story attempt to create a "better world" against what may be better judgement...we all know where it's leading. Stark can't create a better world, b/c that would end the drama.

So while some of us **cough cough whedon** may empathize with Stark, I don't think anyone actually believes his side will come out on top. And with that mindset, then Stark's actions only seem more villainous. B/C with our foresight, we can already see these choices as the keys to his undoing.
Last edited by The Ginger Man on Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Ginger Man
Hong Kong Drizzle

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:17 pm

I just read the Civil War Room bit, and I have to say I still side strongly with the Pro-Reg side even after all this fracas. I accept that the Pro-Reg side no longer has the clean, easy moral high ground, but that's because the war is on and lines are getting blurred.

Millar and Brevoort make a strong point in that most readers would naturally side with the Anti-Reg side in a comic book reality where you can trust that your heroes are heroes, but that in real reality it'd swing more toward Pro-Reg. And that's still how I'm looking at it, despite the tragic death of Goliath. We're still talking about regulating vigilantism and putting restrictions on supermen with world-shattering power.

As for Reed--well, I've never really collected Fantastic Four, so I can't really speak to his character. All I can say is that I like the distracted, distanced supergenius who's too busy with his charts to eat for a week. It really, really works for me. It might not be THE Reed Richards, but it just doesn't bother me.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:18 pm

The Ginger Man wrote:Yeah, that interview with MM and TB is pretty off the mark. I'm sure they believe everything they say, but that's not how their story has come across. That's their failing as writers/artists.

Dude, I don't know. It's working for me. The things they say in that article are pretty in line with how I read it.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby The Ginger Man on Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:32 pm

I added an adendum to my post, Whedon. Check it out. It fleshes out my views a little more. And it's the main reason I'm not buying Miller's talk. He may speak about the hard truths of real reality...but in the end, this isn't reality. This is still a comic and it's still going to end like a comic. We'll probably get some vague, who really won kind of ending where the jest of the story will be a "How can we be heroes when war has turned us all into monsters" kind of pap. And Miller will speak in broad generalities about how real it is to not have an ending, or have both sides lose, or whatever the fuck he'll say. And I think that's kinda bullshit.

B/C if this was real reality...someone would win. And it would be Stark. Stark would crush Cap's merry band with an iron (no pun intended) fist and the entire Marvel Universe would be plunged into a new, strange status quo. And if I thought Marvel had the balls to actually go there...I'd be all for it. But I doubt they do. And that's why I'm expecting a safe ending that isn't quite clean, b/c Miller knows real reality isn't clean, blah blah blah.....

Do you get what I'm saying?
The Ginger Man
Hong Kong Drizzle

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:39 pm

The Ginger Man wrote:I added an adendum to my post, Whedon. Check it out. It fleshes out my views a little more. And it's the main reason I'm not buying Miller's talk. He may speak about the hard truths of real reality...but in the end, this isn't reality. This is still a comic and it's still going to end like a comic. We'll probably get some vague, who really won kind of ending where the jest of the story will be a "How can we be heroes when war has turned us all into monsters" kind of pap. And Miller will speak in broad generalities about how real it is to not have an ending have both sides lose or whatever the fuck he'll say. And I think that's kinda bullshit.

B/C if this was real reality...someone would win. And it would be Stark. Stark would crush Cap's merry band with an iron (no pun intended) fist and the entire Marvel Universe would be plunged into a new, strange status quo. And if I thought Marvel had the balls to actually go there...I'd be all for it. But I doubt they do. And that's why I'm expecting a safe ending that isn't quite clean, b/c Miller knows real reality isn't clean, blah blah blah.....

Do you get what I'm saying?

I get it now. Totally get it.

I guess I'm just hoping against hope that they have the balls to go through with it. The way Joe Q has been talking about the after effects of Civil War, it feels like it's going to be a genuine, long-lasting shift in the Marvel landscape. The groundwork is certainly being laid for that.

But comicdom does tend to revert back to the status quo, so I can see how many would think this is all going to be swept aside.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:46 pm

dammit, FIGHT YOU TWO!

MW vs. The Ginger Man.

ZONER WAR!
Last edited by Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Ginger Man on Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:49 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:dammit, FIGHT YOU TWO!

MW vs. The Ginger Man.

ZONER WAR!

The Summers brothers? Fight? Psshaw! Like that would ever happen.
The Ginger Man
Hong Kong Drizzle

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:51 pm

The Ginger Man wrote:

MW vs. The Ginger Man.

ZONER WAR!

My visor's in the shop. Hold on while I get my gun...
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:54 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:
The Ginger Man wrote:

MW vs. The Ginger Man.

ZONER WAR!

WATCH YOUR BACK GINGER!!!
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Ginger Man on Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:54 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:
The Ginger Man wrote:

MW vs. The Ginger Man.

ZONER WAR!

I just ask that you don't "throw me up against a wall." That would just be...eh.....awkward.
The Ginger Man
Hong Kong Drizzle

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:56 pm

The Ginger Man wrote:I just ask that you don't "throw me up against a wall." That would just be...eh.....awkward.

Is it because you're frail? Because you're ginger, Ginger? :twisted:
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:04 pm

*As the battle rages between pro-reg MW and anti-reg Ginger...off panel...KCBC informs the combatants that it is time for the secret weapon...and then suddenly...BAM! Thunder!!!!

Could it be??? IT IS!!!! THOR!!!!!!!!!*

Oh wait...that is just Havoc...nevermind.

or maybe its the Punisher...
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:16 pm

WE'VE GOT INCOMING!! EVERYONE GET DOWN!!

MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby The Ginger Man on Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:30 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:
The Ginger Man wrote:I just ask that you don't "throw me up against a wall." That would just be...eh.....awkward.

Is it because you're frail? Because you're ginger, Ginger? :twisted:

In actuality, it's because I suffer from a rare back condition that-- NO! It's just creepy! You, goin around, slamming guys into walls. Staring deep into their souls with an unblinking, dark-eyed intensity. It's so .... fucking..... creepy!

Don't you have a "net" to go get "caught in?"
The Ginger Man
Hong Kong Drizzle

Postby TonyWilson on Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:33 pm

BUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRNNNNNNNNNN!!11!!1111!1!!!
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby The Ginger Man on Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:35 pm

That being said. I also just read the Civil War Room. And I'm starting to change my view. I think Marvel might let Millar fuck with the sandbox more than I expected. And if so, good for them! I think this 50 State Initiative is going to carry over to the normal U, and that excites me. It would be really cool if at the end of Civil War, Cap remains a fugitive at large, but the rest of the Marvel U moved on with registration w/o him. Wow. A fucking intense statement with plenty of story opportunity.

Or they could be really lame and wrap it all up in 3 issues. I'd be really pissed if the "long lasting ramifications" of Civil War amount to nothing more than Iron Man and Captain America no longer sharing an appetizer when the Avengers go to dinner at Applebees.
The Ginger Man
Hong Kong Drizzle

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:44 pm

Ginger, you make me chuckle.

The Ginger Man wrote:That being said. I also just read the Civil War Room. And I'm starting to change my view. I think Marvel might let Millar fuck with the sandbox more than I expected. And if so, good for them! I think this 50 State Initiative is going to carry over to the normal U, and that excites me. It would be really cool if at the end of Civil War, Cap remains a fugitive at large, but the rest of the Marvel U moved on with registration w/o him. Wow. A fucking intense statement with plenty of story opportunity.

And the reason I'm thinking it might be this is because the Mighty Avengers series looks really patriotic-like from its teaser image. I'm betting that's going to be the standard, high-flying Avengers book where they're just fighting the good fight, whereas New Avengers will turn into Cap's book, a little more run-and-gun. That way the two teams would be related (in a manner or speaking), but each would have its own specific function.

That'd be the most interesting outcome for the Avengers I can think of.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby JackKnight on Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:01 pm

I agree with MW that the fascistic elements of civil war will be the most interesting if there are long lasting consequences from it. I am still anti-regulation and feel that the pro-side is still way off base.

Death of Bill Foster? Meh. The guy was a red-shirt from the word go. The Marvel boys needed someone to bite it from the return of everyone's favorite ass-guardian. Otherwise you wouldn't have seen all the turmoil in the ranks that you did.

That said, I did enjoy the funeral scene, up until the reappearance of the chick who lost her kid. That whole thing just smacks of manipulation and contrivance. And in my opinion it makes me wonder if she is somehow in league with whomever the 'big bad' is that is orchestrating this.

Also, i agree that if this is actually being done by one guy I'm going to be terribly disappointed. This series works much better if it's all based off of a huge mistake by the New Warriors. Not by some macchiavellian scheme.
Give me ambiguity or give me ... something else
JackKnight
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby cap on Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:17 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:*As the battle rages between pro-reg MW and anti-reg Ginger...off panel...KCBC informs the combatants that it is time for the secret weapon...and then suddenly...BAM! Thunder!!!!

Could it be??? IT IS!!!! THOR!!!!!!!!!*

Oh wait...that is just Havoc...nevermind.

or maybe its the Punisher...

HAHAHAAHAHAHAH!!!
SPOILER BELOW*****

Didn't see the clone thing coming, kinda took the "thunder" out of where I thought it may go. I thought Thor might turn around and hand Iron Man his own smug ass, but we couldn't be that lucky.

Like the sig says, you know who's side I am on.....

END SPOILER

Ambition - The journey of a thousand miles sometimes ends very, very badly
cap
AIRWOLF

Postby DennisMM on Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:11 pm

It's all crap, it won't last any longer than Secret Wars did and it's destroying the characters and their relatonships to one another. McNiven's art is nice.

DAMAGE CONTROL? Their book was light-hearted.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

PreviousNext

Return to Comic Books