CIVIL WAR--NEW MASSIVE SPOILERS- BEWARE!!!!!!

Graphic novels. Weekly rags. The @$$holes.

Whose side are you on?

Iron Man
14%
Captain America
69%
undecided
17%

Total votes : 93

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:27 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:There's an "epilogue" that Bendis is writing that's supposed to be a conversation (what else?) between Cap and Tony. I figure that's where it'll take place.

...which is all fine and good, BUT TELL THE STORY IN THE FUCKING STORY!!

Yup. Fuck the epilogue. I'm boycotting it now. Like the guy said, I read the memo...
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby Vegeta on Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:54 pm

Well, Civil War ended the only way I guess it could. Wow, a whole lot of build up for not much really... bummer.
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby Adam Balm on Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:10 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:
MasterWhedon wrote:There's an "epilogue" that Bendis is writing that's supposed to be a conversation (what else?) between Cap and Tony. I figure that's where it'll take place.

...which is all fine and good, BUT TELL THE STORY IN THE FUCKING STORY!!

Yup. Fuck the epilogue. I'm boycotting it now. Like the guy said, I read the memo...

I didn't get the memo.

Anybody have a link?
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:12 pm

It's in the Civil War Room. The funny thing is there ACTUALLY IS a memo.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Adam Balm on Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:37 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:It's in the Civil War Room. The funny thing is there ACTUALLY IS a memo.

Is it too late to get that memo in comic form?

I liked that alot better than what we got.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:30 pm

-- He looks around at the crowds assembled on the edge of town and he sees something he’s never seen before: Fear. Cap inspires hope and yet here he is terrifying the locals. They start to yell at him, voicing everything we’ve seen in the background throughout the series about how they WANT a register and need to be protected from lunatics in masks doing whatever they want; completely unaccountable vigilantes.

Cap realizes he was wrong. He realizes he’s been fighting for masks when he should have been fighting for America

if that isn't the biggest anal depository i've ever coughed up, I don't know what is.

let's draw a little analogy here...9/11. After it occurred, the "american public" wanted justice/revenge, and were willing to bomb the ever loving Allah out of ANY culprit that the powers at be deemed damnable. (and I don't think I'm reaching, analogy wise, here..."lunatics in masks"? A terrorist, at least to themselves and their supporters, are vigilantes. Anyway, the same level of bloodlust and cries for justice and a tightening of security measures apply to both 9/11 and the incident that sparked this whole Civil Shebang all those months (years? feels like it) ago).

it took, what, finally 4-5 long years and constant to the point of annoying protests and papers and evidence and facts for this initial bloodlust to be replaced with a, "huh, we went after the wrong guy all along?" (and here, well, that's rather obvious. The blaming of the Capes for the Crooks activity has always been the most glaringly silly and outrageous aspect of this "war").

and we're still there, blood mired in a blood soaked quagmire.

Our nation, in theory but rarely in practice, is supposed to protect the minority from the majority. It's not a simple this is what the people want, so they deserve to have it. People are fickle, easily swayed by colorful rhetoric and political bluster.

WHO GIVES A FUCK WHAT THE PEOPLE WANT CAP, FACE IT YOU FUCKING SIMP, YOU'RE OFTEN PROTECTING THE PEOPLE FROM THEMSELVES.

Why Millar was tasked to write this, I have no idea. In his best work, he's known for delivering what appear to be shocking moments that in a closer examination are always carefully set-up and meticulously detailed ("Chosen", "Superman: Red Son" and "Wanted" being the best examples).
This? Whole flap could've been resolved through, I dunno, talking about it? Having Cap talk to the people?

I dunno, maybe as a critique of post 9/11 paranoia and policy it works on some levels, Marvel giving the people what they think the people want, and thus, when the intellectual elite (*scoff*) at Marvel U feels public perception has changed enough they can have an "UnCivil War: Careful What you Wish For" sequel.

And the way that memo reads? C'mon, ALL Cap ends up concerned with is that the secret idents don't fall into the hands of the gov-mint? So you give 'em to a guy who, for all intents and purposes, is part and parcel of the gov-mint, especially if one goes with the tried 'n true "the business of America IS business?".

I find it hard to put my trust in a guy that'll use villains, a guy who collects hair samples of anyone who drops by for a visit...and that's not even delving into his alcoholic, fuck anything that swivels shtick...which, personally, two characteristics I tend to find just as untrustworthy as the first two instances...good 'peep to hang with, but I ain't leaving that drunken fuck alone with my gf, you know? Let alone trusting him with any secrets I might have. Shit, you know how alcoholics have big mouths, tend to blab a lot?

LET'S TRUST THAT GUY!
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:37 pm

I'M AN ALCOHOLIC YOU SONOFABITCH!!!!!!!!!!

no, i'm not, i just wanted to beat people to the punchline.

I'll drum up a cogent response to this post once my brain has relaxed after work, but I think you make a lot of great points.
Lord Voldemoo

Postby MasterWhedon on Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:01 pm

Joe Q talks Civil War in this week's New Joe Fridays.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Adam Balm on Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:02 pm

Ugggh.

So it looks like Joe Q's promise not to do 'event after event' ala the early 90s has already been broken now that we got World War Hulk coming.... Oh, and World War Hulk: Frontline too. Almost forgot about that one.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:13 pm

You guys seemed really riled up about this. My suggestion would be to stare at a blank wall (preferably white) for your entertainment.

And you Adam... YOU! You swore off these events a long time ago. So all your negativity about them has been proven true in your mind. Was it worth it then? To waste the countless minutes reading a mini series you probably didn't even purchase?

Personally, I don't have a problem with the ending. I felt that Cap reached a point where he knew things went too far. Part of what made Iron Man escalate his plans was Cap escalating his own. It had to stop, and if anyone was going to be able to stop the cycle before more people were killed, it would be Cap. He was after all the rallying point for the whole rebellion.

I am not sure how you guys wanted it to end. Should Cap have held Congress hostage until they repealed the law? Should the heroes have continued fighting until there was only one left? Should Loki have appeared out of no where claiming responsibility? Give me some alternatives here so I can freak out too!

I also like the storylines this begins in 616. I like that the Thunderbolts thing will eventually bite Tony on his big metallic ass. I like that for the first time in over 25 years, the Punisher might be on the verge of some kind of epiphany. Or how about Spiderman as hunted crook wearing the best designed costume in the history of ever?

Civil War was supposed to shake things up, and I think it did its job.

And as far as World War Hulk coming on the heels of Civil War so soon? I can't fucking wait. Not that I want to delve into a viper pit of bad crossovers, but this has been building so naturally for over two years, that I think the timing is perfect, especially from a character standpoint. Here the heroes of earth have already been through hell. Most except the new status quo of registration and then BOOM, suddenly we have an 800 Pound Gamma Irradiated gorilla in the room that throws everything into the shitter. Yeah HULK!
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:45 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:You guys seemed really riled up about this. My suggestion would be to stare at a blank wall (preferably white) for your entertainment.

and I suggest you stop swallowing for a while, but that 'prolly ain't gonna happen either...

bitch.

:o
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:46 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
burlivesleftnut wrote:You guys seemed really riled up about this. My suggestion would be to stare at a blank wall (preferably white) for your entertainment.

and I suggest you stop swallowing for a while, but that 'prolly ain't gonna happen either...

bitch.

But then what will they yell at me when I walk into bars if not "Hey Cum Dumpster!"?
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:06 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:
Keepcoolbutcare wrote:

bitch.

But then what will they yell at me when I walk into bars if not "Hey Cum Dumpster!"?

even when he mocks himself he still pwns me...
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Adam Balm on Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:22 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:
And you Adam... YOU! You swore off these events a long time ago. So all your negativity about them has been proven true in your mind. Was it worth it then? To waste the countless minutes reading a mini series you probably didn't even purchase?

As a whole, yes. It was worth it. I actually thought the last two issues made it fun with a satisfying resolution, but also leaving open enough story potential for the future.

The problems I still have are basically that If it had been 12 issues instead of 7, as Millar originally suggested, then we wouldn't have needed CW: Frontline and there would've been enough room so that this wouldn't feel like the cliffs notes for a much larger story, and we could've had a bigger epilogue that included Cap in there, as intended.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:44 pm

Adam Balm wrote:
burlivesleftnut wrote:

As a whole, yes. It was worth it. I actually thought the last two issues made it fun with a satisfying resolution, but also leaving open enough story potential for the future.

The problems I still have are basically that If it had been 12 issues instead of 7, as Millar originally suggested, then we wouldn't have needed CW: Frontline and there would've been enough room so that this wouldn't feel like the cliffs notes for a much larger story, and we could've had a bigger epilogue that included Cap in there, as intended.

Oh, er.... okay. Well despite my enjoyment of the mini, I agree.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:44 am

Civil War is over but the fallout has just begun.

WARNING MAJOR, MAJOR SPOILERS!!!!!!!

Looks like Captain America #25 made the mainstream news.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:33 am

Leckomaniac wrote:Civil War is over but the fallout has just begun.
WARNING MAJOR, MAJOR SPOILERS!!!!!!!

Looks like Captain America #25 made the mainstream news.

Big-ass version here
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:51 am

Ack! This is awful! :'-(''''''''
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:23 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I'm not a regular Captain America reader, but it looks like I may have to pick this one up...holy shit.
Lord Voldemoo

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:38 pm

Zombie-Magneto is the sniper.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:40 pm

This is no time for jokes! Captain Fucking America just died! But I wonder if he could come BACK as a zombie?
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:57 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:This is no time for jokes! Captain Fucking America just died! But I wonder if he could come BACK as a zombie?

Aren't they still planning a Captain America feature film?? He'll be back...for cross promotional purposes alone if nothing else...
Lord Voldemoo

Postby burlivesleftnut on Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:04 pm

Well I doubt he will stay dead. He is an icon after all, but I am still pretty numb about this. I have REALLY enjoyed what Brubaker has done with Cap over the last two years. Not just the stories, but the character of Steve Rogers. He'd become my favorite character in the Marvel U, so this is pretty horrible.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:07 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:Well I doubt he will stay dead. He is an icon after all, but I am still pretty numb about this. I have REALLY enjoyed what Brubaker has done with Cap over the last two years. Not just the stories, but the character of Steve Rogers. He'd become my favorite character in the Marvel U, so this is pretty horrible.

No doubt about the iconic status...it was like the 5th story on my local news this morning (slow night thankfully in Seattle), it's a little jarring to wake up to "IN OTHER NEWS, CAPTAIN AMERICA IS DEAD!!!!!"
Lord Voldemoo

Postby minstrel on Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:08 pm

He'll be back, but as an android or cyborg or something. Somebody will resurrect him and give him enhanced strength and some cool new weaponry in his shield.

DC killed Superman and brought him back. Marvel isn't going to let Cap stay dead. Heck, in the Marvel universe there are enough beings with godlike powers who could bring him back. Dr. Strange, I'm looking at you. Or Thor could go drag his soul back out of Hades (pardon the mixing of mythologies, but it's what Marvel does). Or Franklin Richards could create a pocket universe in which he didn't die and we'd be Back To Normal.

Sniper kills Cap? Lame.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:18 pm

It was probably just the Red Skull that did it....if he still exists?

Couldn't they just reboot Captain America and have a new person in the suit?
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Adam Balm on Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:41 pm

Holy crap. This thing's everywhere. My mom told me about it when I woke up this morning. My brother called about it. And then I get online, and I see it's on yahoo's mainpage, I turn on CNN and they're talking about it there....

I gotta hand it to Marvel, they did a damn good job keeping the lid on this one til now.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:43 pm

Fried Gold wrote:It was probably just the Red Skull that did it....if he still exists?

Couldn't they just reboot Captain America and have a new person in the suit?

Does The Punisher still have the mask??

There's no way in hell I can ever accept anyone but Steve Rogers as Captain America...anyone else and it's just USAgent.
Lord Voldemoo

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:44 pm

Captain America: Never Forget
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:48 pm

Fried Gold wrote:Captain America: Never Forget

heh, it's hard not to be overly sentimental, though...like Burl said, he's AN ICON!!!!!!!! Hell, as I said I don't even read his book currently, but I followed him through Civil War and The Avengers and grew up with him...dammit, now I'm crying!!!! :wink:
Lord Voldemoo

Postby ONeillSG1 on Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:51 pm

Anyone know of Frank Castle's wherabouts? My money's on him.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby MasterWhedon on Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:52 pm

Maaaaaaaaaaaaan, I blame Yahoo News for spoiling me first. Fuckers.

The only upside I could see to this is that they could let Captain America live on as a symbol, as a thing where "Captain Americas" start springing up all across the country, continuing to fight the Anti-Registration fight. Might be lame, but could be pretty cool.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby ONeillSG1 on Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:55 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:Maaaaaaaaaaaaan, I blame Yahoo News for spoiling me first. Fuckers.

The only upside I could see to this is that they could let Captain America live on as a symbol, as a thing where "Captain Americas" start springing up all across the country, continuing to fight the Anti-Registration fight. Might be lame, but could be pretty cool.

I.E. Rise of the Supermen . . . er Super Soldiers?
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby Adam Balm on Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:56 pm

My mom was going on and on about it. 'A fucking sniper??? Why couldn't he have died in battle or something' And I had to do the Airplane 'Calm down, get a hold of yourself!' thing.

I guess I'll hand it to Marvel again. We're all used to these temporary publicity stunts where someone dies for about 6 months maximum, but for some reason this has power to it. I'm still in shock...
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Peven on Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:00 pm

Adam Balm wrote:My mom was going on and on about it. 'A fucking sniper??? Why couldn't he have died in battle or something' And I had to do the Airplane 'Calm down, get a hold of yourself!' thing.

you were slapping the crap our of your mother?!?!?! :wink:

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Adam Balm on Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:08 pm

LOOK, LET'S KEEP THINGS IN PERSPECTIVE HERE!

Captain America is dead!

I need to go pay my respects, and honor him by heading to the comic shop and buying up six mylar sealed Captain America #25's to put on eBay when they run out....
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:25 pm

Adam Balm wrote:LOOK, LET'S KEEP THINGS IN PERSPECTIVE HERE!

Captain America is dead!

I need to go pay my respects, and honor him by heading to the comic shop and buying up six mylar sealed Captain America #25's to put on eBay when they run out....

Oh shit. That's how we honor him? Because I just torched an abortion clinic. I guess we all have our own way of expressing grief.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby minstrel on Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:45 pm

Captain America is dead!

You and thousands of others who are doing the same thing. Maybe you'll get cover price for it.

How much are the "Death of Superman" comics going for these days? Are they really all that collectible?
minstrel

Postby Adam Balm on Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:53 pm

minstrel wrote:

Captain America is dead!

You and thousands of others who are doing the same thing. Maybe you'll get cover price for it.

How much are the "Death of Superman" comics going for these days? Are they really all that collectible?

I really have to put up a [sarcasm] tag these days...
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby buster00 on Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:58 pm

Capitain America's been torn apart
Now he's a court jester
With a broken heart
He said, "Turn me around
And take me back to the start
I must be losing my mind."
Are you blind?
I've seen it all a million times.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby havocSchultz on Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:00 pm

Adam Balm wrote:
minstrel wrote:

Captain America is dead!

You serious...?
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:03 pm

Hey, Captain America,
you're so fine,
you're so fine you blow my mind,
Captain America.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby buster00 on Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:10 pm

Someone In Another Forum just wrote:I'll bet he'd rather be dead than drawn by Liefeld.

HA! HA! I wish I'd thought of that.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:20 pm

Fried Gold wrote:Hey, Captain America,
you're so fine,
you're so fine you blow my mind,
Captain America.

Somebody go record some Captain America tribute songs for Youtube. NOW! GO!!!!!!!!!
Lord Voldemoo

Postby Peven on Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:23 pm

Adam Balm wrote:
minstrel wrote:

Captain America is dead!

hhhmmm, i wonder if Burl was also being sarcastic about the abortion clinic thing? without emoticons it is just so hard to tell what people mean by what they say sometimes. :P :wink:

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby minstrel on Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:38 pm

Adam Balm wrote:
minstrel wrote:

Captain America is dead!

I don't do sarcasm. I am too innocent, too pure of heart.
minstrel

Postby bluebottle on Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:42 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:

Captain America is dead!

Oh shit. That's how we honor him? Because I just torched an abortion clinic. I guess we all have our own way of expressing grief.

Because of you we have to have the baby now.

THANKS DOUCHE!!!!11
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Peven on Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:44 pm

Bluebottle wrote:
burlivesleftnut wrote:[ quote="Adam Balm"]LOOK, LET'S KEEP THINGS IN PERSPECTIVE HERE!

Captain America is dead!

THANKS DOUCHE!!!!11[/quote]

don't worry, i'm sure you and Burl will make adequate parents. :P

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby havocSchultz on Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:46 pm

Peven wrote:
Bluebottle wrote:
burlivesleftnut wrote:

Captain America is dead!

THANKS DOUCHE!!!!11

don't worry, i'm sure you and Burl will make adequate parents. :P

CUTEST. BABY. EVAR.
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby burlivesleftnut on Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:57 pm

Bluebottle wrote:Because of you we have to have the baby now.

THANKS DOUCHE!!!!11

burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

PreviousNext

Return to Comic Books