Nextwave Review Thread

Graphic novels. Weekly rags. The @$$holes.

Postby DennisMM on Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:27 pm

What about: Stuart Immomen eats worms?
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby Chief Redcock on Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:28 pm

I like the work Warren Ellis did on those Marvel books (Punisher and some others). Of course, it's been about a billion years since I've read a comic book, so my memory might be a little hazy...
Chief Redcock
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Adam Balm on Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:35 pm

Yes, Warren Ellis on Punisher. I like that when that happened. Also, Geoff Johns had a great run on Starman. :roll:
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Seppuku on Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:38 pm

Edit: thanks Chief---blind leading the blind---
Last edited by Seppuku on Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby DennisMM on Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:42 pm

I think you mean Garth Ennis, Chief. It's an easy mistake to make off the top of your head.

Adam, that will be funnier than shit until Jack Knight shows up.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:03 am

DennisMM wrote:I think you mean Garth Ennis, Chief. It's an easy mistake to make off the top of your head.

Adam, that will be funnier than shit until Jack Knight shows up.

the medicine goes down much smoother with an emoticon :wink:.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby buster00 on Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:51 pm

My two cents? I didn't buy NextWave #1 because it looked lame. LAME.

And I LIKE Warren Ellis.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:10 pm

Chief? If you haven't read Planetary you don't know jack shit about comics and life.

(ya'll see the geek cred thread)
DennisMM

Postby burlivesleftnut on Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:11 pm

DennisMM wrote:Chief? If you haven't read Planetary you don't know jack shit about comics and life.

(ya'll see the geek cred thread)

Just avoid any Planetary crossovers into regular DCU... they suck beyond compare.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby DennisMM on Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:36 pm

I dislike most of that sort of thing. Planetary/Batman: Night on Earth was cool because of the use of the bleed and such to show us a variety of Batmen. The JLA book was dull, dull, dull.
DennisMM

Postby burlivesleftnut on Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:14 am

What I didn't get about the JLA book was why the fuck the Planetary guys were so EEEEvil. Oh and I hated the Batman book. If you are going to have a Batman crossover, then just do it. Please leave Adam West out of it. Poor guy.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:19 am

burlivesleftnut wrote:What I didn't get about the JLA book was why the fuck the Planetary guys were so EEEEvil. Oh and I hated the Batman book. If you are going to have a Batman crossover, then just do it. Please leave Adam West out of it. Poor guy.

I'm gonna floss your ass crack with razor wire if you ever speak badly 'bout Planetary/Batman: Night on Earth again, you cum gurgling cockfag.

Any work that encapsulates the multi-faceted legacy of a pop-cultural icon that has gone through more career makeovers than Madonna, The Beatles, Jesus and Satan combined (hyperbole, natch), does it all firmly in it's own "rules", with a wry sense of humor about the whole shebang but yet still manages to wring emotional pathos out of said enduring pop-cultural icon deserves more than a "Please leave Adam West out of it" snide snarkasm, you swine. Besides, the Adam West incarnation got the best of Jakita...JAKITA!!!...then led directly to the wonderful image of Elijah turning, thinking he was gonna face that doofy do-gooder, only to find what I can only guess to be Miller's (?..little help with that one Dennis) gigantic snarling version.

Jeebus, I need a life...
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:41 am

Come on dude. The team up consisted of them running into Batman in an alley and ended with them about half a block away. Dumb.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:46 am

yeah, "Crime Alley", in a city designed by "masons on opium, exacerbated by absinthe-fiend local architects".

you're dead to me.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:49 am

things are getting heated in this here forum. That is more like it, the Zone seemed a little too friendly for me.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:17 pm

keepcoolbutcare wrote:Any work that encapsulates the multi-faceted legacy of a pop-cultural icon that has gone through more career makeovers than Madonna, The Beatles, Jesus and Satan combined (hyperbole, natch), does it all firmly in it's own "rules", with a wry sense of humor about the whole shebang but yet still manages to wring emotional pathos out of said enduring pop-cultural icon deserves more than a "Please leave Adam West out of it" snide snarkasm, you swine. Besides, the Adam West incarnation got the best of Jakita...JAKITA!!!...then led directly to the wonderful image of Elijah turning, thinking he was gonna face that doofy do-gooder, only to find what I can only guess to be Miller's (?..little help with that one Dennis) gigantic snarling version.

Yes, it was the Dark Knight Batman. I can't say in which order, but we saw a generic Modern Batman, the Dark Knight, Adam West, Denny O'Neil and Neal Adams period (the stick-fighting), early 1940s and the future. I think there was one more, but I just can't remember and I'm at work, so I can't check the comic. The entire enterprise was an excuse for Ellis to play with the many versions of the character over the last 67 years. I rather missed the 1950s somewhat silly, square-jawed Batman.

Planetary/JLA was a waste of time. It wasn't even drawn by Cassady.
DennisMM

Re: Stuart Immonen and Warren Ellis touch dinks

Postby Pacino86845 on Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:44 am

Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Ribbons on Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:06 pm

Hey, he quoted one of my posts! What an honor!
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:23 pm

This is fantastic. I wonder if Teh Balm has any idea? Or..y'know....is still alive?
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby Pacino86845 on Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:06 pm

Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Ribbons on Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:57 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:This is fantastic. I wonder if Teh Balm has any idea? Or..y'know....is still alive?

He's still around! He wrote a review for AICN just a couple months ago (I tried getting his attention in the TalkBack section, but he didn't reply :( )

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/47290

As for whether he's aware of the Twitter shenanigans, I don't know. It might be better if he hasn't heard...
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:56 pm

Ribbons wrote:
Lord Voldemoo wrote:This is fantastic. I wonder if Teh Balm has any idea? Or..y'know....is still alive?

He's still around! He wrote a review for AICN just a couple months ago (I tried getting his attention in the TalkBack section, but he didn't reply :( )

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/47290

As for whether he's aware of the Twitter shenanigans, I don't know. It might be better if he hasn't heard...

wouldn't it be weird if one of US were Adam Balm and nobody else knew it??

I'm going to assume Ribbons is Adam until proven otherwise.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Re: Nextwave Review Thread

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:45 pm

Whoa!

We hit the big time! Welcome comics book creators!

Seriously, I wonder how he stumbled upon this?

EDIT: So what post did he take issue with? Was it T3h Balms? Because seriously the whole Twitter comic book verse is up in arms over this!
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:33 pm

I actually got this (Nextwave: Agents of H.A.T.E.) as a TPB for Christmas, and finally started reading it today. Although I have to admit I was looking forward to it a lot more before I knew that the artist was a douche who hated our guts, I like what I see so far.

"I've been the leader of H.A.T.E. since before any of you were born! Except you. You look kind of old."
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Ribbons on Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:18 pm

This series was AWESOME. Everything about it is so much fun, including the letters section. The story and art are both cartoony, yes, and there's really no character development to speak of (except for maybe Dirk Anger, who goes from a se1lout on the verge of a nervous breakdown to a suicidal zombie), but the zany anarchy on every panel is infectious. I can see being underwhelmed if you picked up a random issue, since it is somewhat light; as Ellis himself states in his pitch to Marvel, no story arc is designed to last for more than 2 issues. However, if you ever get your hands on the TPB, I guarantee you'll go through it in a matter of days. Oh, and "The Captain" has the best origin of all-time. Anyway, all you fleshy ones who have yet to read Nextwave totally should. I could copy-and-paste the pages I thought were hilarious for days, but I'll stick with one (or two):

Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Pacino86845 on Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:55 pm

I just ordered this based on your fervent recommendation Ribbs, so it had better be good! :)

P.S. Stuart Immonen is a dick!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Ribbons on Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:00 am

I didn't think anybody actually read my posts. :shock:
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby DennisMM on Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:45 pm

I thought it was fun, but I got it from the library and so didn't have to pay for it. I wouldn't have bought it, having purchased the first issue and been underwhelmed. Ellis does a certain amount of silly well, but his comedy leaves me mostly cool. Hope you enjoy it, Pacino.
DennisMM

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:31 pm

So guess who is coming to my local comic book shop for a signing in May?

That is right, Stuart Immonen. I am going to bring up the Zone. I'll let you all know how it goes.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:58 pm

If he stabs you, we'll avenge your death!
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Pacino86845 on Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:28 pm

Finished this recently. Overall it was a nice diversion, but I guess I share Dennis's opinion in the end.

I sort of smiled at a couple of the gags, but some of the humor was a bit too silly and missed the mark.

But the artwork was kind of crappy... yeah Stuart Immonen was intentionally going for a cartoony look, but he did a bad job of it.

So you can tell that to Stuart Immonen as well, Lecko.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Warren Ellis... yay or a the nay? [W/ POLL!!]

Postby TheButcher on Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:56 am

Nextwave Is A Bloody Brilliant Comic Book That Everyone Should Read
James Whitbrook wrote:While researching my article on Monica Rambeau’s unfortunate history, I naturally re-read one of her standout series: Warren Ellis and Stuart Immonen’s Nextwave: Agents of HATE. It’s a comic I already held dear to my heart, but it re-affirmed what I previously thought: It’s the most joyful comic Marvel have ever released.

The Unfortunate and Obscure History of Monica Rambeau, the First Female Captain Marvel
James Whitbrook wrote:As Carol Danvers rides high in the comics as Captain Marvel, it’s hard to remember that she wasn’t the first woman to take on the mantle: back in 1982, Monica Rambeau became that woman. If you haven’t heard of her, though, there’s a reason. Here’s the sad story of the Captain Marvel comics forgot.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Previous

Return to Comic Books