B-Listers to the Silver Screen

Graphic novels. Weekly rags. The @$$holes.

B-Listers to the Silver Screen

Postby burlivesleftnut on Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:08 pm

I am not going to make a pole, but what are some of your favorite comic b-listers who you think have cinematic potential?

For DC, I would LOVE to see a Blue Devil movie. He has a unique origin and can bring the funny.

Marvel-wise, please just go ahead and kill me, but I still want a good Man-Thing movie. I know it will never happen.

Other than IT, I would say Longshot... in his original incarnation... before getting involved with the X-Men. I loved that original mini-series. But perhaps we could lose the mullet.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Dave F. on Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:03 am

I don't know boatloads about the Metal Men, but I took to 'em when I read some of their adventures in THE ART OF WALT SIMONSON and I've liked 'em ever since. I see them in a slightly stylized CGI movie with all-ages appeal.

Firestorm, too, would be pretty cool for a superhero flick willing to go very larger-than-life (even as the friendship/antagonism between Ronnie and the Prof kept it emotionally grounded).

A good DOOM PATROL movie might be cool. I see 'em as the counter to the FF - a sort of familial team that doesn't have the public's adoration.

At Marvel? I'd love a serious TOMB OF DRACULA movie with an ensemble cast of heroes going up against Big D himself. Guess Blade would have to be out because he's been amped to superhero-levels in his own flicks, but the rest of the regulars from the Wolfman/Colan days would be great to see.

From Marvel's old Epic line: ALIEN LEGION and COYOTE.

-Dave
Dave F.

Postby docfalken on Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:17 am

Booster Gold is a fave of mine and it is good to see him get some overdue attention in the Justice League Unlimited series.

I'm still looking for the perfect Richie Rich with Jackie Jokers and everything.
docfalken
HAGGIS?!?!!?!!?!

Postby burlivesleftnut on Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:36 am

Oh man, I forgot about Alien Legion, Dave. That would be beautiful

And now you have me remembering Starlin's Dreadstar. It was slightly derivative of Star Wars, but I remember it being really good.

But Alien Legion. Wow. I would love to see that movie.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Pacino86845 on Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:45 am

Madman, is that B-list?
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Shane on Tue Dec 27, 2005 3:40 pm

The best thing about doing B-list characters is you can adapt them more with less fans being mad over it.

I'd like to see Marvel take a new approach to Cloak and Dagger in films.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby CthulhuKid on Tue Dec 27, 2005 3:47 pm

Shane Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 1:40 pm Post subject:

-------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------

The best thing about doing B-list characters is you can adapt them more with less fans being mad over it.

I'd like to see Marvel take a new approach to Cloak and Dagger in films.

Holy Crap! That would Rule!
CthulhuKid
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Shane on Tue Dec 27, 2005 4:04 pm

and as for the cosmetic industry aspect I'd drop that. I like the idea of two young inner city kids living amidst all this crap, who escape horrible lives to become cloak and Dagger living on the streets, almost as a curse. |I'd keep the part about Cloak needing Dagger's light to survive and I would do alot of the unrequitted love, and a messed up mutual attraction that never becomes what one or the other might want it to be. All with super powers.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby CthulhuKid on Tue Dec 27, 2005 4:22 pm

Shane Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 2:04 pm Post subject:

-------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------

and as for the cosmetic industry aspect I'd drop that. I like the idea of two young inner city kids living amidst all this crap, who escape horrible lives to become cloak and Dagger living on the streets, almost as a curse. |I'd keep the part about Cloak needing Dagger's light to survive and I would do alot of the unrequitted love, and a messed up mutual attraction that never becomes what one or the other might want it to be. All with super powers.

Someone needs to give you a lot of money to make that movie!

But Dagger needs to keep the classic costume (or at least wear it at some point). :-)
CthulhuKid
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby DennisMM on Tue Dec 27, 2005 4:55 pm

The Creeper, if they modified his look to get rid of the boa and the striped bathing suit.

A small version of the Legion.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Tue Dec 27, 2005 5:12 pm

I'm pretty sure that Cloak & Dagger is on Marvel's list of movies to make with their Paramount deal. If they make it I'm curious to see if they update it or go period and depict the Hell on Earth that was NYC in the early 80s.

I had only a few issues as a kid but the other day I thinking that ROM Spaceknight would make an interesting movie. Am I the only one that remembers that book?
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Shane on Tue Dec 27, 2005 5:15 pm

How would you approach Rom as a film?

I couldn't even begin to think of how I would do it.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby DennisMM on Tue Dec 27, 2005 5:20 pm

For me, ROM means doll, not movie. That's just me.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM

Postby Shane on Tue Dec 27, 2005 5:26 pm

DennisMM wrote:For me, ROM means doll, not movie. That's just me.

I didn't understand that.

what do you mean doll?
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby DennisMM on Tue Dec 27, 2005 5:47 pm

ROM was an action figure. The comic was created to market the action figure.
DennisMM

Postby Shane on Tue Dec 27, 2005 6:29 pm

I don't remember the figure just the comic.

Okay i'm seeing it now, I googled rom and checked out the figure. I missed that one.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby doglips on Tue Dec 27, 2005 7:01 pm

Impact Comics The Fly would make a great kids movie.

OH! and Green Lantern Corps!
Last edited by doglips on Thu Dec 29, 2005 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Brocktune on Tue Dec 27, 2005 7:15 pm

beautiful stories for ugly children!
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Conroy420 on Tue Dec 27, 2005 7:15 pm

How about Masters of the Universe? I mean, it could work right? Set it all on their home world, one part LOTR, one part SW, with a splash of superhero SHAZAM!....I think I just found some common ground for fanboys.

Just keep Courtney Cox outta it!

But how cool would it be to see "I HAVE THE POWER!" on the big screen?
To read some original works by me, please ask, I need the feedback!
Conroy420
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby burlivesleftnut on Tue Dec 27, 2005 11:54 pm

Regardless of the origins of the comic, Dennis, ROM managed to tell a killer story over all. I am a BIG fan.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby DennisMM on Tue Dec 27, 2005 11:57 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:

Regardless of the origins of the comic, Dennis, ROM managed to tell a killer story over all. I am a BIG fan.

As I said, it's just me. ROM probably was the best-ever toy comic. He even showed up at Rick Jones's wedding!
DennisMM

Postby The Garbage Man on Wed Dec 28, 2005 4:24 am

thedoglippedone wrote:Image Comics The Fly would make a great kids movie.

OH! and Green Lantern Corps!

The Fly! Shit, that goes way back. I remember getting the first couple issues of that and really liking it. How long did that book last?
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby DennisMM on Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:05 pm

Do you mean !mpact? DC imprint, early '90s? Also had Shield, The Web, Comet, Jaguar?
DennisMM

Postby The Garbage Man on Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:35 pm

Yes, yes I do. Thanks for reminding me, Dennis, I have this vague recollection of a guy in a reddish suit and a large helmet flying around and I've been trying to remember his name. The Comet, it was.
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby DennisMM on Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:48 pm

These were, of course, all harder-edged versions of the Red Circle characters of the '60s who were revived briefly in the mid-'80s before DC bought the rights. Those '60s stories were something, very much inspired by early Marvels but failing to understand the human interest factor in the Marvel books. Their heroes had foibles, but not interesting ones.
DennisMM

Postby burlivesleftnut on Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:52 pm

Yeah, like the Comet in particular had a terrible fear of the sound of the ocean after his Uncle Stu was lost at sea. So ridiculous.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Agent Alonzo on Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:06 am

Not a heavy comic reader, but I do remember reading a 4 part Taskmaster run - he had photographic reflexes, so he can immitate anything he has seen - and thinking that could make an interesting DTV level movie if handled correctly.
However, I am probably wrong...
alonzo..... my apologies you ho-bag! - banthafodderUK

...that was the funniest post I've ever read at AICN. Comedy gold. I'm stealing it and shooting it in nothing other than a static two-shot. - Kevin Smith
Agent Alonzo
UMAGAA OMBONGO

Postby cinephile2000 on Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:22 am

A Deadpool movie would be fun if the upped the dark comedy of his situation, though is he considered a b-lister?
Just remember, your special like everyone else.
cinephile2000
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby Adam Balm on Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:32 am

Killraven (Dune meets HG Wells. Can't go wrong.)
The Atom
Adam Strange
Captain Comet
Challengers of the Unknown
Captain Atom
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:01 am

Adam Strange, totally.

I think Deadpool could potentially make for a good movie maaaybe, but I think they already missed a big opportunity by putting Typhoid Mary in Elektra. Didn't she and Deadpool have a weird, fucked up, freaky Bonnie & Clyde thing going on? That would have been good stuff man.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Shane on Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:01 am

The thing is getting the film right, the right mood, and going in the right direction so you don't pump out another Daredevil.

I think one thing that should be done with alot ofthe characters is T.V. series, H.B. O. style. I still am a firm believer in 12 episodes gives you more time for character development, and more time to relay similar stories as the comics.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby bc1970 on Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:39 pm

I'd love to see a Dreadstar series. If it turned out more Fifth Element or Firefly and less Hitchhiker's Guide, it could be epic indeed. Dennis Quaid or maybe Val Kilmer as Vanth. I always thought a Dreadstar/Captain Harlock crossover would be cool.
Power and Glory.
Six from Sirius.
Ronin.
bc1970
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Chairman Kaga on Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:31 pm

Not a comic but I would love a live action Thundarr the Barbarian (I figure this is close with Alex Toth and Jack Kirby designing the show etc).
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Thu Dec 29, 2005 7:23 pm

DennisMM wrote:Do you mean !mpact? DC imprint, early '90s? Also had Shield, The Web, Comet, Jaguar?

Sorry guys, amended my post! Yeah I meant Impact!

I only got 5 issues of the Fly, then my shop stopped stocking it, so I do not know how long it ran for. I've got a few Web, Jaguar and Shield issues too but these stopped coming in to the shop aswell.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Shane on Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:11 pm

Remember the Bob newheart spinoff Book Mad Dog?

That would make for a good comedy, showing the innocent camp of batman and robin vs. the cheesy overkill of the 90's immage

something low budget.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby Kilgore on Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:39 am

Y'know Brock, I like how you think....Beautiful Stories for Ugly Children is wicked good stuff. Those would make a fly anthology series on HBO or such...at the very least the clown issues deserve a little screen love.
Kilgore
AIRWOLF

Postby DennisMM on Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:04 am

The Fly ran 17 issues and had an annual. Thanks, Wikipedia! Impact Comics
DennisMM

Return to Comic Books