Holy Terror! Batman (Batman vs. al Qaeda)

Graphic novels. Weekly rags. The @$$holes.

Postby DennisMM on Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:42 am

Nothin' to see here, people. Move along! Get off the corner, Johnny! (Sometimes the Irish cop in me comes out.)
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:24 pm

Colin wrote:
LeFlambeur wrote:Wow...Just when I thought Frank Miller couldn't get any sloppier.

Elaborate or get the fuck out.

Whoa whoa whoa, paisan! This is a not a the EFBR, eh? Holy crappa, the Dino, he thinks a you need a to read a some Richie Rich funny books, or a the Casper or a something to calm a you down, eh?
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby Adam Balm on Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:36 pm

I recommend Archie...
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MasterWhedon on Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:09 pm

There's a Frank Miller video interview about this up via Newsarama HERE.

He calls it Holy Terror! Batman. Love it.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Shane on Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:15 pm

wharto wrote:He could title it Batman Battles The Evil Moslems and just be out in the open with his ignorance.

what ignoracne are you talking about?
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby Adam Balm on Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:19 pm

Yes. Frank Miller's intolerance of Al Qaeda sickens me...
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby magicmonkey on Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:16 pm

Hmmm, not sure if I'm best qualified to talk about Frank Miller here... But, I will say that it would be something I'd seek out as a comic. Come on! Who doesn't want to see Bin Laden smacked in the face by Batman?
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby MasterWhedon on Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:24 pm

See, I get a kick out of propaganda just for the sheer ludicrousness of it all. If you understand the real world issues surrounding the piece and the inherent biases of those who are making it, propaganda can be a really interesting window into a time and place.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby buster00 on Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:36 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:See, I get a kick out of propaganda just for the sheer ludicrousness of it all. If you understand the real world issues surrounding the piece and the inherent biases of those who are making it, propaganda can be a really interesting window into a time and place.

Well said. And I know I'll come crawling back to see how Miller does Batman this time. I can't help myself. Colin probably talked me into it.

Everyone can relate: you know how you've got that one ex who's utterly psycho and you know if you call her she's going to hang out for a few days making everything more difficult but she just REALLY knew how to fuck?

This feels like that.
Last edited by buster00 on Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:39 pm

buster00 wrote:Everyone can relate: you know how you've got that one ex who's utterly psycho and you know if you call her she's going to hang out for a few days making everything more difficult but she just REALLY knew how to fuck?

This feels like that.

dude, this is a comics forum, a branch of the Zone, a spin-off from Ain't it Cool News...not everyone can relate :wink:.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chairman Kaga on Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:21 pm

burnilash
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Bob Samonkey on Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:28 pm

keepcoolbutcare wrote:
buster00 wrote:Everyone can relate: you know how you've got that one ex who's utterly psycho and you know if you call her she's going to hang out for a few days making everything more difficult but she just REALLY knew how to fuck?

This feels like that.

dude, this is a comics forum, a branch of the Zone, a spin-off from Ain't it Cool News...not everyone can relate :wink:.

Whats an Ex?
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Chilli on Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:15 am

Maybe they'll retcon it so Bruce's parents died because of Al Quaeda?

Okay, I'm done.
Bison: [to his architect] The temple above us was the wonder of the ancient world. Bisonopolis shall be the wonder of my world. But I think the food court should be larger. All the big franchises will want in.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby LeFlambeur on Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:51 am

Colin wrote:
LeFlambeur wrote:Wow...Just when I thought Frank Miller couldn't get any sloppier.

Elaborate or get the fuck out.

Hey, don't get me wrong, I like Frank Miller. I think he's one of our finest comix artists. But don't tell me he hasn't gotten sloppy lately. Compare his Daredevil run, and The Dark Knight Returns, with DK2 and some of the later Sin City runs. And now he's doing Batman Vs Al Quaeda. It just seems sloppy to me. I suspect it will either be a work of artistic genius, or a work of artistic senility.
LeFlambeur
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby unikrunk on Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:43 am

The concept of fictional icons dealing with 'real world' issues certainly is not new - nor is it very interesting to me when it lacks subtlety. And lacking subtlety is something that Miller seems to have taken to in recent years.

DK2 was a headache of a read, both in writing and art. Maybe he was trying out some new 'draw using my feet’ technique - who knows?

Ronin is probably my favorite Miller book at this point, and Year One was superbly written, IMHO.

The point? If this book is a return to solid writing and great art, I will read it. If not, Miller can remain on my long list.
He can't' love you back...
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Re: Frank Miller’s Holy Terror

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:32 pm

From Hero Complex July 29, 2010:
Frank Miller's 'Holy Terror' leaves Gotham: 'I've taken Batman as far as he can go'
Geoff Boucher wrote:For years, Frank Miller spoke of a Gotham City graphic novel that would be like no other — for the 120 bone-crunching pages of “Holy Terror, Batman!” Miller — arguably the most important comic book artist of the last 30 years — envisioned a story in which the Caped Crusader went on a blood quest against Al Qaeda.

Earlier this week, sitting over coffee at the U.S. Grant Hotel in San Diego, Miller said the elusive project is finally close to completion but that the name and central character have changed and that DC Comics won’t be the publisher. Miller frames all of this as a decision that was driven by the work itself and not dictated by a DC leadership that, according to insiders, has long been leery of the politically charged concept.

“It’s almost done; I should be finished within a month,” Miller said. “It’s no longer a DC book. I decided partway through it that it was not a Batman story. The hero is much closer to ‘Dirty Harry’ than Batman. It’s a new hero that I’ve made up that fights Al Qaeda.”

Miller, best known as the writer and artist of “The Dark Knight Returns,” “300“ and “Sin City,” said the story will be set in a place called Empire City that, as the name suggests, evokes New York. The landscape and people are fictional but the real-life Al Qaeda will be transferred to this universe with its name, history and mission intact.

The book’s title will be shortened to “Holy Terror.” And what of the protagonist?

“The character is called The Fixer and he’s very much an adventurer who’s been essentially searching for a mission,” Miller said. “He’s been trained as special ops and when his city is attacked all of a sudden all the pieces fall into place and all this training comes into play. He’s been out there fighting crime without really having his heart in it — he does it to keep in shape. He’s very different than Batman in that he’s not a tortured soul. He’s a much more well-adjusted creature even though he happens to shoot 100 people in the course of the story.”

In the 1980s, Miller was permitted to take the iconic Batman character through an unprecedented reinvention with “The Dark Knight Returns,” which showed the embittered hero in his twilight years when Gotham has collapsed into near-anarchy and the Caped Crusader finds himself being hunted down by Superman and engaging the Joker in a battle to the death. “The Dark Knight Returns” became a publishing sensation and, along with “Watchmen,” ushered in a new era of ambition in the comic book medium that led directly to the contemporary boom in superhero cinema.

Despite that history, DC executives were reportedly leery of Miller’s plan to drop their globally recognized property inside an Al Qaeda vendetta fantasy. Miller, though, says he is the one who decided to leave the familiar hero in the Batcave for this particular mission.

“I had a talk with [former DC president and publisher] Paul Levitz and I said, ‘Look, this isn’t your Batman,’” Miller said. “I pushed Batman as far as he can go and after a while he stops being Batman. My guy carries a couple of guns and is up against an existential threat. He’s not just up against a goofy villain. Ignoring an enemy that’s committed to our annihilation is kind of silly, It just seems that chasing the Riddler around seems silly compared to what’s going on out there. I’ve taken Batman as far as he can go.”

Miller said he will complete the book before he signs with a publisher. “I’m talking to a number of people,” says Miller, who has often worked with Dark Horse Comics in the past. Miller said the book will come out “next year, certainly,” and he likes the idea of a hardcover, horizontal format, not unlike the Dark Horse deluxe version of the Spartan epic “300.”

Miller became part of the Hollywood boom in superhero and comics adaptations as the director of “The Spirit” and the co-director (with Robert Rodriguez) of “Sin City.” Miller is working right now on a 12-part Dark Horse comics series entitled “Xerxes,” which returns to the battlefields of “300,” another illustrated adventure that will likely stir political debate. Zack Snyder and Kurt Johnstad, who wrote the screenplay for the 2007 hit film ($456 million in worldwide box office), are already at work on a script for a film adaptation and Snyder will almost certainly direct it, although a final deal with Warner Bros. is not in place.

“Holy Terror” has been a long journey, but Miller said he views it as a project that has arrived at its final destination right on time, creatively speaking.

“It began as my reaction to 9/11 and it was an extremely angry piece of work and as the years have passed by I’ve done movies and I’ve done other things and time has provided some good distance, so it becomes more of a cohesive story as it progresses,” Miller said. “The Fixer has also become his own character in a way I’ve really enjoyed. No one will read this and think, ‘Where’s Batman?‘”
Last edited by TheButcher on Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Mon May 02, 2011 11:34 pm

What will bin Laden’s death mean to Frank Miller’s Holy Terror?
In the wake of death of Al Quaeda leader Osama Bin Laden, ROBOT 6 wonders what effect the news will have on Frank Miller’s long-gestating graphic novel "Holy Terror?"
Last edited by TheButcher on Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:03 am

From Bleeding Cool:
Frank Miller’s Holy Terror From Legendary Comics In September
Rich Johnston wrote:This is what happens when a publisher hires Bob Schreck. You get Frank Miller.

When Bob was hired to head up Legendary Comics, the publishing subsidiary of Legendary Pictures, it was only a matter of time.

Originally Holy Terror was to be Holy Terror Batman by Frank Miller. But when DC fired Bob Schreck over the Batman pottymouth episode, that was not to be.

The main character was rejigged, renamed The Fixer, and now this revenge fantasy, thematically one man taking down those responsible for the 9/11 attacks, but no doubt having wider reference and meaning, will be published ten years to the month after that tragedy, by Legendary Comics. Frank Miller’s Holy Terror, in September, in hardcover for $29.99.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:15 am

From The Beat:
Legendary Comics debuts with Frank Miller’s HOLY TERROR in September
In the white-hot days following the 9/11 attacks on the World Trade Center, a lot of art was planned and some executed. One near legendary project was Frank Miller’s Holy Terror, Batman, which was just what it sounded like…the Batman taking on the terrorists. With Miller’s increasingly right-wing views, it was expected to be a real barn burner.

However, it turned out to be a little too hot for DC– as did the project’s editor Bob Schreck, who left for IDW and now a start-up line at Legendary Pictures. With a main character recast as “The Fixer,” the book is now planned to come out this September, in time for the 10th anniversary of a day most people would rather forget.

The Legendary Comics line has been quietly ramping up for some time — a publishing arm for Legendary Pictures, the powerhouse production company behind the Batman movies, THE HANGOVER, and many more films. Editor Schreck was seen hanging around the Comics Pavillion at BEA with new assistant editor Greg Tumbarello, and the imprint is busy setting up a distribution deal yet to be announced.

There’s a deadly menace somewhere in Empire City and The Fixer only has until dawn to save his town — and civilization as we know it! Legendary Comics presents an all-out, head-busting, bone-breaking, neck-snapping brawl of a tale from the one of the most celebrated storytellers of the medium, Frank Miller. Years in the making, Holy Terror features a desperate and brutal quest of a hero as he is forced to run down an army of murderous zealots in order to stop a crime against humanity.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Holy Terror! Batman (Batman vs. al Qaeda)

Postby DennisMM on Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:34 pm

This is about the most tasteless thing imaginable. Why would they ship this in September, for all the gods' sake?
DennisMM

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:51 pm

Frank Miller's 'Holy Terror' to Launch Legendary Pictures Comic Book Offshoot
Borys Kit wrote: Holy Terror, a graphic novel from 300 and Sin City creator Frank Miller, will act as the debut work of Legendary Comics, the publishing arm of Legendary Pictures.

The move was speculated but made official today by Legendary Comics editor-in-chief Bob Schreck, who has been running the imprint since its inception in November.

Holy Terror was originally conceived by Miller as a story of Batman taking on those responsible for the attacks on 9-11 but was scrapped by DC several years ago.

Miller has since reconceived the concept, with the protagonist now called The Fixer, described as a “hard-edged hero” who battles terror.

According to the company, “The graphic novel is a no-holds-barred action thriller told in Miller’s trademark high-contrast, black-and-white visual style, which seizes the political zeitgeist by the throat and doesn’t let go until the last page.”

The political themes and ties to 9-11 will almost certainly remain. For one, the 120-page graphic novel, which will be published in a 10 x 13 landscape format and distributed by Diamond Books, will hit stores September 14, just days after the 10th anniversary of 9-11.

“Holy Terror finds Frank at the top of his game. A fast paced, biting commentary on our uncertain and volatile times, told with some of the most gut-wrenching, iconic images he's ever produced,” Schreck said in a statement.

Legendary Comics Publishes Frank Miller's 'Holy Terror'
Burbank, CA (June 28, 2011) – Legendary Comics has partnered with Frank Miller, the iconic writer and artist of SIN CITY, 300 and THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS, to publish HOLY TERROR, a dark, uncompromising superhero tale for the modern era. The announcement was made today by Bob Schreck, Editor-in-Chief of Legendary Comics.

In HOLY TERROR, join The Fixer, a brand new, hard-edged hero as he battles terror. The graphic novel is a no-holds-barred action thriller told in Miller’s trademark high-contrast, black-and-white visual style, which seizes the political zeitgeist by the throat and doesn’t let go until the last page.

“It has been my extreme pleasure and honor to have worked so closely with Frank for over 20 years now,” says Schreck. “Holy Terror finds Frank at the top of his game. A fast paced, biting commentary on our uncertain and volatile times, told with some of the most gut-wrenching, iconic images he's ever produced.”

HOLY TERROR is a 120 page hardcover graphic novel with spot-color interiors presented in a 10 x 13 landscape format. Distributed by Diamond Books, HOLY TERROR retails for $29.99 and will be in stores on September 14.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Pacino86845 on Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:12 am

Frank Miller wrote:Just in case 300 didn't make it obvious (I was still an artiste in those days), I HATE THE BROWNIES! Buy my book Holy Terror then buy a copy for your friend!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:35 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby DennisMM on Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:44 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:
Frank Miller wrote:Just in case 300 didn't make it obvious (I was still an artiste in those days), I HATE THE BROWNIES! Buy my book Holy Terror then buy a copy for your friend!

He hates Europeans, too, and only likes Asians if they are ninja girls. He's an equal-opportunity bigot, and he won't get my dollars for this project.
DennisMM

Postby DennisMM on Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:25 pm

Cross-posted from the News and Previews thread.

so sorry wrote:Frank Miller's Holy Terror preview

And man does it look like shit! I think this is based on his idea of Batman fighting terrorists, right? Help me out Comic Book Guy(s). In any event, looks like Batman with guns.

Me thinks this guy has crawled up his own ass and can't see that what he's doing is hogwash. Speaking of which, whatever happened to Todd McFarlane?

Correct, so sorry. For years, Miller said he was working on a book titled, "Holy Terror! Batman." DC Comics, to the best of my memory, never confirmed that the company was publishing it. Once it became clear that DC wasn't interested, Miller took his ball to play elsewhere and revised the whole book around this Fixer character he "created."

McFarlane still sometimes co-writes Spawn and enjoys having more money than some gods.
DennisMM

Postby TheButcher on Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:04 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Previous

Return to Comic Books