Teh Suk!

Graphic novels. Weekly rags. The @$$holes.

Postby DennisMM on Sat Dec 17, 2005 11:35 pm

I just read the S/B Supergirl trade. Pretty silly stuff. I'm giving SG's book a short try-out, but as this point my feeling is negative.

All-Star Batman is an offense to the character. The second issue doesn't make any sense unless you believe the theory that most of what we're seeing is tainted by Dick's trauma. That would explain why Batman is speaking coarsely and has two days of beard just a half-hour after leaving the circus clean-shaven.

Sucks anyway.
Last edited by DennisMM on Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby buster00 on Sun Dec 18, 2005 7:25 am

I sure hope that's where they're going with A.S. Batman -- The "Grayson's Trauma" Theory. It's the only idea that can even HOPE to crowbar this rubbish from the bottom of the bin.

That would make a great name for some indie band. "Grayson's Trauma Theory."

Nah. I'm sick of seeing the words "Theory" and "Trauma" in indie band names. Forget it.

"All Star Batman Headjob." THERE'S a band name.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sun Dec 18, 2005 7:57 am

buster00 wrote:That would make a great name for some indie band. "Grayson's Trauma Theory."
Nah. I'm sick of seeing the words "Theory" and "Trauma" in indie band names. Forget it.

the indie band name word du jour is Wolf.

Wolf Eyes, Wolf Parade, Guitar Wolf, AIDS Wolf, Peanut Butter Wolf.

Why no one has gone with lycanthropy remains a mystery.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby buster00 on Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:22 am

Peanut Butter Wolf has been around for years, brotha man gets a pass. His turntable kung fu MAKE YA DIZZY! WATCHIT!!
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby bc1970 on Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:54 pm

I just want to say that the secret of Jason Todd's return is just as unsatisfying as I feared it would be.

It is trluy teh suk.
bc1970
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Chairman Kaga on Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:56 pm

bc1970 wrote:I just want to say that the secret of Jason Todd's return is just as unsatisfying as I feared it would be.

It is trluy teh suk.

What is it since I jumped out shortly after Hush...
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby bc1970 on Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:01 pm

Inviso text:

SuperboyPrime punched the glass dome of his Utopia, which sent out ripples through time, which animated dead DC characters, including Jason Todd. Then Talia dipped him in the Pit.

he coulda been Hush the whole damn time.
bc1970
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Theta on Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:55 pm

My opinion about Mark Millar in general (Ultimate X-Men excepted, he got that one really right, somehow) and "The Ultimates" in particular is well-documented. What really bothers me is that somebody decided that a comic book about heroes who unite to fight for the greater good should be turned into a comic book about a bunch of self-centered jerks in a paramilitary unit that mindlessly follow orders.
This comment is in no way meant to insist your opinion is wrong or be considered an edict, solely this poster's opinion. That said, you are still a fool and will kneel before me in supplication.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby Theta on Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:56 pm

bc1970 wrote:Inviso text:

SuperboyPrime punched the glass dome of his Utopia, which sent out ripples through time, which animated dead DC characters, including Jason Todd. Then Talia dipped him in the Pit.

he coulda been Hush the whole damn time.

Wait, WHAT? Seriously? Geez, it's a good thing the storyline itself is worth reading!
This comment is in no way meant to insist your opinion is wrong or be considered an edict, solely this poster's opinion. That said, you are still a fool and will kneel before me in supplication.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby DennisMM on Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:45 pm

That is remarkably stupid, isn't it? So they were planning the Infinite Crisis tie-in two years ago?
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM

Postby MadCapsule on Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:56 pm

Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:Rob Liefeld.

IPAMPILASH! I used to be so into his scribbling when I was a pre-pubescant fuck-tard. :oops:
MadCapsule
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby CrazySlasher on Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:07 am

The new Doc Samson is one of the most terrible things I've ever read.
CrazySlasher
GLIB

Postby Shane on Sat Mar 11, 2006 6:31 pm

MadCapsule wrote:
Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:Rob Liefeld.

IPAMPILASH! I used to be so into his scribbling when I was a pre-pubescant fuck-tard. :oops:

Rob Liefeld is the most over payed over rated artist in history.

He hasn't improved at all over the years, he has never bothered to stufy Anatomy, and doesn't know what perspective is.

I am against talking shit about artists, but if they have gotten that much credit and are that horrible I can break the rule.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby King Psyz on Sat Mar 11, 2006 7:03 pm

I can't get passed how horrible that Cap picture he did is...fuck.
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby Chairman Kaga on Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:07 am

Shane you forgot to mention his blatant plagiarism as well.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Shane on Sun Mar 12, 2006 6:54 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:Shane you forgot to mention his blatant plagiarism as well.

yeah well, with someone sucking that badit's hard to hit all the negative points. He is still not as bad as Spawn boy McFarlane
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby Adam Balm on Sun Mar 12, 2006 7:13 pm

Shane wrote:Image

I agree. That is definitely Teh Suk.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chilli on Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:45 pm

I love that Cap'n America pic!
Bison: [to his architect] The temple above us was the wonder of the ancient world. Bisonopolis shall be the wonder of my world. But I think the food court should be larger. All the big franchises will want in.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby DennisMM on Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:59 pm

Liefeld was even funnier when he blatantly stole from Marvel because they fired him. When Marvel realized Heroes Reborn was a major wash-out they fired the chronically late and untalented Liefeld. First he "created" his own patriotic character, slightly altered his unpublished Captain America pages and actually put the result into comics stores. Capt's female Bucky became a robotic female sidekick dressed like Bucky. He then bought the rights to Fighting American and continued to plagiarize Marvel, to the point that he was sued.

Link is dead. Removed 12/13/07.
Last edited by DennisMM on Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DennisMM

Postby Adam Balm on Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:16 pm

DennisMM wrote:Liefeld was even funnier when he blatantly stole from Marvel because they fired him. When Marvel realized Heroes Reborn was a major wash-out they fired the chronically late and untalented Liefeld. First he "created" his own patriotic character, slightly altered his unpublished Captain America pages and actually put the result into comics stores. Capt's female Bucky became a robotic female sidekick dressed like Bucky. He then bought the rights to Fighting American and continued to plagiarize Marvel, to the point that he was sued.

http://members.aol.com/chrisv82/america.htm

Yeah, I remember that. To me, that's not too different from Warren Ellis reusing his scripts from that shelved Marvel Millennium project for Ultimate Exctinction. At least the man stole from himself this time. Heh.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:35 am

I was going to argue but my stomach hurts too much to bother. I deleted sentences about violation of copyright versus recycling of ideas.
DennisMM

Postby Chairman Kaga on Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:43 am

Some pics to enjoy.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chilli on Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:20 am

This clown gets paid?
Bison: [to his architect] The temple above us was the wonder of the ancient world. Bisonopolis shall be the wonder of my world. But I think the food court should be larger. All the big franchises will want in.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby buster00 on Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:25 am

Shut UP!!

Where did that spreadsheet come from, Kaga? God, I'm actually embarrassed for the poor schlemiel! I mean, most artists borrow a LITTLE...but GOD DAY-AMM!!
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Adam Balm on Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:04 pm

You know, you can do the same comparison shots with Otomo's Akira and Todd McFarlane. Shot for shot stealing. It's not just Liefeld doing it. You'd be surprised how widespread this kind of swiping is.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Adam Balm on Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:09 pm

DennisMM wrote:I was going to argue but my stomach hurts too much to bother. I deleted sentences about violation of copyright versus recycling of ideas.

Well, comics have always skirted the edge of outright theft and violation of copyright. They've always stolen from eachother. Try and imagine the Fantastic Four if Stan Lee wasn't ripping off the Challengers of the Unknown wholesale ("But..." you say, "Kirby created them!" Yes, but DC owned the rights to them. They still could have sued just as they sued Fawcett over Captain Marvel, another case of skirting the edge.) Honestly, there's thousands of examples, and they are the rule, not the exception.

In that way the comics industry has always been similar to the early computer industry.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:46 pm

I agree completely, but look at that pages I referenced. He made minor changes to material rejected by Marvel and published them as his own "character" who looked almost exactly like Captain America. Which he then followed with another character who also looked almost exactly like Captain America and again used the robot-teenager sidekick. And the shield. Lee and Kirby at least had to think up super powers (even if they borrowed two of them from Golden Age characters) and personalities for the FF.
DennisMM

Postby buster00 on Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:58 am

(*ahem*)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Shield_%28Archie%29

(note to mod -- trying to link to Wiki entry on Archie Comics' "The Shield")

Code: Select all
               [url]Insert your link here[/url]               
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby dark wesley on Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:54 am

Rob Leifeld is teh suck, but for some reason he's still massively popular, or so joey Q says. Teh Suk? in my opinion bruce jone's run on the incredible hulk, made me want to eat my own brain, and I know it's not fair to critizice an artist when he was producing two books a month but Igor Kordey's New X men issues were rushed and horrible and looked like they had been drawn by a mental paitient.
i wish my middle name was tiberius.
dark wesley
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Colin on Sun Apr 09, 2006 6:34 am

Liefeld's art style still has a certain appeal to a very few number of fans. Yeah, it's hard to believe, but it's true. Sales spike about 10,000 copies whenever he's on a book.

What didn't you like about Bruce Jones's run on Hulk?
Colin
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Luke Cage on Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:30 am

Yo, brothas, if you are looking for a serious contender to the throne of Rob Liefeld, just check out the horrifying CYBERFORCE # 1.
Pat Lee is definitely TEH SUCK and I pity the foo'!

WORD!
Luke Cage
GLIB

Postby Chairman Kaga on Sun Apr 09, 2006 3:33 pm

Adam Balm wrote:You know, you can do the same comparison shots with Otomo's Akira and Todd McFarlane. Shot for shot stealing. It's not just Liefeld doing it. You'd be surprised how widespread this kind of swiping is.

I don't even hold the one on the right against him because it's essentially photo reference. It is ridiculously common unfortunately.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Adam Balm on Sun Apr 09, 2006 4:03 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:
Adam Balm wrote:You know, you can do the same comparison shots with Otomo's Akira and Todd McFarlane. Shot for shot stealing. It's not just Liefeld doing it. You'd be surprised how widespread this kind of swiping is.

I don't even hold the one on the right against him because it's essentially photo reference. It is ridiculously common unfortunately.

I don't mind photo reference, if an artist makes good use of it. One thing I can't stand is when they actually trace over the photo as Greg Land's been doing on UFF. It's irritating beyond belief and it pulls me out of the story when I can see the movie screenshots he's tracing over in each panel..
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Re: Teh Clone Saga!

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:20 am

Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:I wish I knew the names responsible but two words: Spider-Clone.

Word Balloon Podcast Friday, August 05, 2016:
Danny Fingeroth on Comics Editing Analysis and Re-Hashing The Clone Saga
John Siuntres wrote:A great conversation with the former Marvel editor and writer who really puts perspective on his time at marvel during the late 70s through the late 90s. We talk about his time editing Marvel UK and learning at the foot of Larry Lieber.

You'll hear memories of writing Dazzler, working with Stan Lee and Will Eisner, and of course his 2 cents on editing Spider-Man's infamous Clone Saga.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Previous

Return to Comic Books