"The Spirit" relaunch

Graphic novels. Weekly rags. The @$$holes.

"The Spirit" relaunch

Postby Theta on Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:46 pm

So, I knew "The Spirit" was good, but I didn't know how good until just recently when I grabbed "The Best of the Spirit."

WOW! Damn good comics, they hold up today in both story and art for the most part, and they're more than sixty years old! Reading this filled in a lot of gaps along the lines of "Oh, so that's where [insert major comic artist or writer here] got that idea!" The reproductions aren't absolutely perfect, but still it gives you a very good idea of what audiences were treated to on the comics page.

Of course, all this is just laying the ground to introduce the character into the DCU (>groan<) after "Infinite Crisis." The good news is that it's being relaunched by none other than Darwyn Cooke, who's got a really impressive resume (including the "oughtta-be-canon" 'The New Frontier.') But he's got a hell of an act to follow, and this is obviously a blatant attempt to set up "The Spirit" to be made into a movie.

How about it, any Spirit fans here, and what do you think of DC's relaunch?
This comment is in no way meant to insist your opinion is wrong or be considered an edict, solely this poster's opinion. That said, you are still a fool and will kneel before me in supplication.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby Shane on Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:54 pm

I'll check it out
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby DennisMM on Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:58 pm

Cooke is excellent and the character is wonderful, but The Spirit doesn't fit into a "universe" concept. He exists on his own. He doesn't need a universe.

He has none of the resonance, but if DC really wanted to work Eisner-ripoff (because The Spirit is Eisner and can't be recreated) material into their universe, they should revamp Midnight. They already own him and he's got history.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:55 pm

I have my doubts about how the Spirit could work in the DCU too, but Cooke can church out nothing but crap for the rest of his career and I will devour it whole. New Frontier wasn't just brilliant, it was sublime.

But also I have the opinion that any new Spirit would be great to see. I am cautiously optimistic.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Shane on Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:59 pm

DennisMM wrote:Cooke is excellent and the character is wonderful, but The Spirit doesn't fit into a "universe" concept. He exists on his own. He doesn't need a universe.

He has none of the resonance, but if DC really wanted to work Eisner-ripoff (because The Spirit is Eisner and can't be recreated) material into their universe, they should revamp Midnight. They already own him and he's got history.

yeah it wouldn't be cool if he were around a bunch of super beings.

Vertigo would be a good home for the spirit.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby Theta on Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:22 pm

DennisMM wrote:Cooke is excellent and the character is wonderful, but The Spirit doesn't fit into a "universe" concept. He exists on his own. He doesn't need a universe.

Honestly, I would be excited (I mean, if you HAVE to relaunch "The Spirit", Cooke is the only man to do it) except for that DCU part. Shane's dead right: a "Spirit" relaunch belongs in the Vertigo imprint. It's obvious DC just wants to make the strips into a movie: why goof around with a relaunch? Just give it to Darren Aronofsky and watch the bucks roll in.
This comment is in no way meant to insist your opinion is wrong or be considered an edict, solely this poster's opinion. That said, you are still a fool and will kneel before me in supplication.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby buster00 on Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:33 am

When is the Batman / Spirit crossover supposed to drop? Or did I already miss it?
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Theta on Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:12 pm

buster00 wrote:When is the Batman / Spirit crossover supposed to drop? Or did I already miss it?

Oy. Well, the relaunch isn't until after "Infinite Crisis" (and I'm assuming the Spirit will play a role in said boring ubercrossover) so I would assume it'd be sometime this summer.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby buster00 on Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:44 pm

Theta wrote:
Oy.

HA! Yeah, I didn't necessarily say it's gonna be great...but I, too, loved Cooke's art in New Frontier, so I at least wanna give it a look.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby kortanaskew on Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:14 pm

I will only read it if the SPIRIT's Sidekick EBONY WHITE is in it.

DC would have BIG BRASS ones if they did that.
kortanaskew
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby The Vicar on Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:17 pm

kortanaskew wrote:I will only read it if the SPIRIT's Sidekick EBONY WHITE is in it.

DC would have BIG BRASS ones if they did that.

Whoa...I don't think anyone's balls are big enough or brass enough to pull off that in this day & age.
Its controversy like this that they just don't need.
Could turn a "launch" into an explosion on the launch pad.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby Shane on Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:46 am

I added this to my pull list.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Return to Comic Books