One Year Later (OYL)

Graphic novels. Weekly rags. The @$$holes.

One Year Later (OYL)

Postby Leckomaniac on Sat Mar 04, 2006 7:51 am

So this week marked the beginning of the DCU's jump to OYL...

The first titles to make the jump were:
Aquaman: Sword of Atlantis #40
Detective Comics #817
Outsiders #34

I for one absolutely LOVED the Detective Comics issue...it set a really amazing status quo to build from.

Similarly, I thought the Aquaman issue was an interesting new start...and that last panel reveal was very cool stuff...enough to make me come back for the next issue.

I didn't read the Outsiders...

Overall I think the OYL jump has been a really fun move...and if the other titles yet to make the jump are anywhere near as cool as the two I read this past week then there is going to be a lot of interesting and fun stuff ahead for the DCU.

Anyone else have any thoughts...predictions...etc.?
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Shane on Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:21 pm

I have mixed feelings about it all.

I like change change is good. I hate so much coming out because I just don't have the cash to read it. I feel like D.C. just rushed too much stuff out. I will try and pick up some of the more interesting titles. has anyone discovered who the new flash is now?
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby Leckomaniac on Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:24 pm

The new Flash is still a mystery. However, in IC#5 there was an interesting reveal in regards to the Flash if you look closely.

I think the idea of a fresh start...with fresh continuity is a good thing for the DCU...but I suppose we shall see.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Shane on Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:30 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:The new Flash is still a mystery. However, in IC#5 there was an interesting reveal in regards to the Flash if you look closely.

I think the idea of a fresh start...with fresh continuity is a good thing for the DCU...but I suppose we shall see.

what is the reveal?
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby Leckomaniac on Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:35 pm

If you've been keeping up with IC you know that Wally West disappeared and Barry Allen pulled Superboy-Prime into the speed force...

Well in IC #5 there is a "flash" and there is a chain of Flash's so to speak...and the second one in the chain is wearing Wally's costume...but the one who finally arrives and speaks is Barry Allen...

Not sure what this means but it was pretty cool.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Shane on Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:44 am

I read Superman one year later.

***Spoilers***

It seems they are saying when thedeath happened with doomsay, that he stayed dead. Am |I reading this right?That's a great idea, |Ijust feel so much more can be done.

And Clark is not superman, just clark.

So if he was not supes was dead then was luthor still president?

Man I don't know ifthisis enougf to bring me backto this title.

I'll read a few more and see.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby Fried Gold on Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:57 pm

Picked up the first Superman & Nightwing OYL today. They appeared to be flying off the shelves, at least for a comic.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:58 pm

I am not thrilled about the OYL concept, though I have put 52 on my hold list. I decided to give Hawkgirl a try because of the creative team and was reasonably pleased. Had I been reading before and known where Carter supposedly went (after returning at the end of the Golden Eagle story), I might have been more interested. I also got Supergirl and the Legion because I've been following the book since the beginning (and all Legion titles, more or less, since the early '80s). The last panel is interesting, to say the least, and would explain the current continuity situation.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby Shane on Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:13 pm

OYL has potential, DC won't show the balls it would take to doit to the extent they could do it. They will not take full advantage of this opportunity.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby Shane on Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:47 am

Did anyone read action comics OYL?

***SPOILERS***

The powerless Clark wasgiven a green lantern ring. I wonder how long this will last. I like the idea, but DC won't let it go on for long.

And is Dick finally The Bat? Please tell me that isn't still Bruce.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby Shane on Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:49 am

Wow this supes started off with promise, so did the Batman book, but they just are not delivering.

was I expecting too much from DC?
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby ONeillSG1 on Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:13 pm

Ok, because it would be impossible for me to keep up:

What changes have OYL brought on for our well-known heroes?

I.E. Superman, Batman, Green Lantern, and I'll throw in Nightwing because of the Batman connection.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby Shane on Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:28 pm

They have not told all the changes yet.

Green Lantern:

There is some law prohibiting heroes from operating in certain parts of the country, and Hal likes to break it.

Nightwing:

I heard he was Jason Todd.

Superman:

Clark is powerless and Supes is no more, but we see by future previews of covers this only lasts one more month. Hal gave Clark a GL ring with the supes S on it, and now he is a Clark that floats with a green glow and no suit. Much wasted potential here.

Batman:

I haven't seen a change yet.

So far, big let down.

All Star superman has more drastic cool stuff going on, and it's the best supes in over a decade, just save your money forget the year later and buy all star supes instead.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:05 pm

See while Batman has experienced many major shake-ups...I do like the new status quo they have developed. These past few issues feel a lot more like the Batman of old.

I agree the Supes issues have started out with great promise...but they won't let this go on for long. Overall, I think OYL was a good thing because it lets new comers have a nice jumping-on point.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ONeillSG1 on Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:45 pm

What issue starts the OYL Superman changes? I am really interested in the combination of Superman and Green Lantern.

So I guess the events of IC #7 causes Supes to lose his powers?

EDIT:

Re: Nightwing---

I know there are two Nightwings: Grayson and Todd. THAT's really cool. Todd as Nightwing is an interesting idea.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Postby Adam Balm on Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:37 pm

Shane wrote:They have not told all the changes yet.

Green Lantern:

There is some law prohibiting heroes from operating in certain parts of the country, and Hal likes to break it.

Nightwing:

I heard he was Jason Todd.

Superman:

Clark is powerless and Supes is no more, but we see by future previews of covers this only lasts one more month. Hal gave Clark a GL ring with the supes S on it, and now he is a Clark that floats with a green glow and no suit. Much wasted potential here.

Batman:

I haven't seen a change yet.

So far, big let down.

All Star superman has more drastic cool stuff going on, and it's the best supes in over a decade, just save your money forget the year later and buy all star supes instead.

The more I hear, the less enthused I become.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:38 pm

The "Superman has lost his powers" idea didn't really appeal to me. It would've been better to have him scarred in some way or mentally different in some way. That would encourage me to look in 52.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby buster00 on Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:12 pm

I've been reading the Batman OYL storyline, and I'm not all that impressed. C minus, at best.

For starters, I HATE the way the villains are referred to as "villains." In real life, there's just no way that Bullock, Gordon, etc. would say something like, "Do you remember that villain named Magpie?" or "Who keeps bumping off all these villains?" or "Villains are the lowest form of villainy ever villained."

Yes, they're villains in the reader's literary context, but you don't CALL them villains in the story. It reads poorly. Have the characters call them "freaks" or "metas" or some other name that the GCPD might've come up with, but NOT "villains." It's distracting.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:20 pm

I much prefer the Detective Comics to the Batman. THey are crossing over and trying to tell the same story, but one just does it better than the other.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Shane on Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:03 pm

I'm not fond of the retro chummy batman they have in oyl. Batman is supposed to be all dark and fucked up, I'd like the new bat if he were dick Grayson, but it's just not like Bruce to me
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:09 pm

Wow I completely disagree with you Shane. I was so annoyed with the direction they had taken Batman as of late. He was getting obnoxious in his broodiness. I am nto saying that Batman isn't a dark and complex character, because he obviously is. However, the past year or so of Batman books have portrayed him more like a whiny, brooding, baby. Personally, I really dig the OYL Batman (at least the way he is written in Detective Comics).

But again, that is just one man's opinion.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Kilgore on Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:55 pm

Fried Gold wrote: It would've been better to have him ....mentally different in some way. .

You mean, like, a ALF Superman? Because that's more or less what Bizarro is...

No what they SHOULD have done was kill off Supes, and then a few months later, replace him with, like, four new Supermen, but they all have something that makes them a little less 'Super'...maybe one could be a robot or something, or another could be some gene-splicing cloning experiment, like mixing Supes' DNA with Luthor or something like that. No, wait, what am I talking about? That would just be fucking stupid.
Kilgore
AIRWOLF

Postby ONeillSG1 on Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:00 pm

Kilgore wrote:You mean, like, a ALF Superman? Because that's more or less what Bizarro is...

No what they SHOULD have done was kill off Supes, and then a few months later, replace him with, like, four new Supermen, but they all have something that makes them a little less 'Super'...maybe one could be a robot or something, or another could be some gene-splicing cloning experiment, like mixing Supes' DNA with Luthor or something like that. No, wait, what am I talking about? That would just be fucking stupid.

No, I think you got something there . . . but who would be strong enough to kill Superman? That's impossible!!

Wait, what about someone who's . . . wait for it . . . MADE FROM KRYPONITE?!?! Well, not made from it per say, but something like that . . .

Nah you're right. It's a dumb idea. I hope they never do something like that.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Postby Kilgore on Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:03 pm

ONeillSG1 wrote:
Kilgore wrote:You mean, like, a ALF Superman? Because that's more or less what Bizarro is...

No, I think you got something there . . . but who would be strong enough to kill Superman? That's impossible!!

Wait, what about someone who's . . . wait for it . . . MADE FROM KRYPONITE?!?! Well, not made from it per say, but something like that . . .

Let's hope not...that could only lead to more dumb-ass ideas, like maybe crippling Batman and replacing him with some third-tier character who 'doesn't get the Batcode of Honor' or something.
Kilgore
AIRWOLF

Postby DennisMM on Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:11 pm

I'm giving the Superman books a chance because it's Kurt Busiek and Geoff Johns. I am hardly the greatest fan of Johns, but he's solid and Busiek does straight superheroes remarkably well. In the last chapter Clark gave the ring back to Hal. Then, when a disturbance arose, he asked for it again. Hal immediately reminded Clark that he'd decided against being a GL/Supes. Hmm. Only five more chapters to go.

Two Nightwings is just plain stupid. Does one dress in the original costume with the powder-blue accents and gold scales?
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM

Postby Kilgore on Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:20 pm

DennisMM wrote:Two Nightwings is just plain stupid. Does one dress in the original costume with the powder-blue accents and gold scales?

Plus, the whole 'Jason Todd Lives' thing is sad...I mean, doesn't ANYONE's death mean anything to DC? You don't see Marvel reviving Bucky just for some quick-buck sales.....

Oops....sorry about that. Carry on, Todd....
Kilgore
AIRWOLF

Postby DennisMM on Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:33 pm

Kilgore wrote:
DennisMM wrote:Two Nightwings is just plain stupid. Does one dress in the original costume with the powder-blue accents and gold scales?

Plus, the whole 'Jason Todd Lives' thing is sad...I mean, doesn't ANYONE's death mean anything to DC? You don't see Marvel reviving Bucky just for some quick-buck sales.....

Oops....sorry about that. Carry on, Todd....

The way they brought Jason back bothers me. Superboy-Prime punched the refuge into which he, Superman and Lois of Earth-2, and Alexander Luthor had fled. And this caused ripples in the timestream? Wha hoppen?

EDIT TO ADD: For those of you who weren't there for New Teen Titans #44 in July, 1984, here's a statue with Dick's first Nightwing costume.

It struck fear into the hearts of comics fans everywhere.
DennisMM

Postby Kilgore on Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:43 pm

I always got the feeling that THAT costume was what inspired Alan Moore to create and then violently kill Glen 'Bluejay' Garland in TOP 10, and add the twisty knife of 'he was molested by The Kingfisher for years, you know'.

I don't believe this was aimed at the Dick Grayson characters (Robin or Nightwing), mind you, just that costume specifically and the a-hole who designed that thing. That's another reason why Moore is beautiful...he always gets the last word in somehow.
Kilgore
AIRWOLF

Postby ONeillSG1 on Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:50 pm

Kilgore wrote:
ONeillSG1 wrote:
K ilgore wrote:You mean, like, a ALF Superman? Because that's more or less what Bizarro is...

Let's hope not...that could only lead to more dumb-ass ideas, like maybe crippling Batman and replacing him with some third-tier character who 'doesn't get the Batcode of Honor' or something.

Dude, you can drink with me anytime.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Postby DennisMM on Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:53 pm

What if Diana is disgraced as Wonder Woman and stripped (yow!) of her rank and armor? They can give it to a black Amazon, and Diana can put on some black bicycle pants and a sports bra! Or she can be stripped of her powers when the Amazons leave Earth, get amnesia, dress up like Mrs. Peel from The Avengers TV show and be advised by an old Chinese man named I Ching!

Nah!
DennisMM

Postby Kilgore on Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:59 pm

Dudes, check it out....what if they turn Hal Jordan nuts, evil, and have him try to destroy the entire universe? Then, in his place, they can name a new GL based on every part Richard Grieco ever played?

No, I guess that's just going too far....
Kilgore
AIRWOLF

Postby ONeillSG1 on Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:03 pm

Kilgore wrote:Dudes, check it out....what if they turn Hal Jordan nuts, evil, and have him try to destroy the entire universe? Then, in his place, they can name a new GL based on every part Richard Grieco ever played?

No, I guess that's just going too far....

ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Postby DennisMM on Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:16 pm

What if we find out that Barry Allen didn't really get his speed from the shower of electrified chemicals? What if it was just a cover on the part of Mopee, a "heavenly helpmate" who looks like a white Guardian with hair and glasses? This could be a major turning point in DC Comics continuity!
DennisMM

Postby Kilgore on Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:17 pm

I am humbled, O'Neill...

It is validation for me, as I've always felt I could write this stuff....fuck Geoff Johns and Judd Winnick.

And we haven't even touched on Hawkman.
Kilgore
AIRWOLF

Postby Theta on Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:19 pm

DennisMM wrote:What if we find out that Barry Allen didn't really get his speed from the shower of electrified chemicals? What if it was just a cover on the part of Mopee, a "heavenly helpmate" who looks like a white Guardian with hair and glasses? This could be a major turning point in DC Comics continuity!

Actually, I heard they're finally going to do what they should have done:

Piss on Carmine Infantino's grave and have done with it.

I hate what they've been doing to Barry Allen. The character deserves better than Brad Metzer's retcon horseshit, although I won't deny I felt a lift seeing him in "Infinite Crisis."
This comment is in no way meant to insist your opinion is wrong or be considered an edict, solely this poster's opinion. That said, you are still a fool and will kneel before me in supplication.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby buster00 on Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:43 pm

Theta wrote:
DennisMM wrote:What if we find out that Barry Allen didn't really get his speed from the shower of electrified chemicals? What if it was just a cover on the part of Mopee, a "heavenly helpmate" who looks like a white Guardian with hair and glasses? This could be a major turning point in DC Comics continuity!

Actually, I heard they're finally going to do what they should have done:

Piss on Carmine Infantino's grave and have done with it.

I hate what they've been doing to Barry Allen. The character deserves better than Brad Metzer's retcon horseshit, although I won't deny I felt a lift seeing him in "Infinite Crisis."

And then there's Ray "Atom" Palmer.

Why go to the trouble of bringing in this Ryan Choi fella to be The Atom, when everyone knows DC will have to dispense with him and bring back Palmer because nobody gives a shit about Choi? Why not just eliminate the middleman before the whole mess even gets underway? It just seems silly.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:30 am

In case anyone was curious or didn't actually know, the Mopee thing really happened. It was so ridiculous that they didn't even try to explain it away later; they just ignored it. Not unlike the Superman story in the '70s where they explained why no one mistakes Clark for Superman (as often happened earlier). The lenses of Clark's glasses were shaped from the port of the ship that brought him to Earth. Being Kryptonian, they have unusual properties. They amplify the super-hypnotism he has come to use subconsciously. This leads those around him to see him as thinner, frailer and weaker than Superman -- with a resemblance, true, but a minor one. This supposedly worked via TV as well, as Clark was a news anchor at the time. They didn't explain how print ads for Clark's show could transmit the effect.

In honor of the Flash tale, "Mr. Silver Age" Craig Shutt has dubbed these ridiculous, ignored stories (including Jor-El and Lara being alive and in comas on an asteroid), "Mopees." Love them; they are precious.
DennisMM

Postby Theta on Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:49 am

buster00 wrote:
And then there's Ray "Atom" Palmer.

Why go to the trouble of bringing in this Ryan Choi fella to be The Atom, when everyone knows DC will have to dispense with him and bring back Palmer because nobody gives a shit about Choi? Why not just eliminate the middleman before the whole mess even gets underway? It just seems silly.

Why does Marvel have to try and give Spider-Man a new suit every seven years or so? It's one of those mysteries.

Okay, actually, not really. Consider that one of Firestorm's components is black and the new Blue Beetle is Hispanic. Also consider how many guest shots Black Lightning's been getting lately (and I must admit I love that interchange between BL and Mr. Terrific). They're trying to put more diversity onto the cast...but much will depend on how these characters are written.

I kinda hope they form the Multiculture Pals. :-)
This comment is in no way meant to insist your opinion is wrong or be considered an edict, solely this poster's opinion. That said, you are still a fool and will kneel before me in supplication.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby Leckomaniac on Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:58 pm

Now that most of the initial OYL arcs are coming to an end, I figured I'd bump this thread as some of the new creative teams are jumping on board.

Detective Comics #821 will be the first issue written by Paul Dini with art by JH Williams III.

Superman #654 written by Kurt Busiek with art be Jesus Merino and Carlos Pacheco.

Action Comics #841 written by Kurt Busiek and Fabian Nicieza with art by Pete Woods.

Batman #655 written by Grant Morrison with art by Andy Kubert.

I can't wait to see what these great creative teams have in store for us. July is going to be an awesome month for fans of The Man of Steel and the Dark Knight.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Adam Balm on Mon Jul 03, 2006 3:17 am

buster00 wrote:And then there's Ray "Atom" Palmer.

Why go to the trouble of bringing in this Ryan Choi fella to be The Atom, when everyone knows DC will have to dispense with him and bring back Palmer because nobody gives a shit about Choi?

Nobody gives a shit about the Atom period. Believe me, I'm a long time fan and I've given up trying to get anyone else interested.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Theta on Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:00 pm

Adam Balm wrote:
buster00 wrote:And then there's Ray "Atom" Palmer.

Why go to the trouble of bringing in this Ryan Choi fella to be The Atom, when everyone knows DC will have to dispense with him and bring back Palmer because nobody gives a shit about Choi?

Nobody gives a shit about the Atom period. Believe me, I'm a long time fan and I've given up trying to get anyone else interested.

Actually, I might give the new series a shot. It's written by Gail Simone, which automatically puts it on my radar, and the intro story in "Brave New World" was a fun little SF story. If the series has the Simone touch, then it should be worth reading.

Of course, so was "Agent X", and look what happened to that...
Theta
AIRWOLF

Re: One Year Later (OYL)

Postby TheButcher on Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:14 pm

DC Announces Line-Wide Flash-Forwards in September 2014, More Lenticular Covers
Albert Ching wrote:Over the past three years, DC Comics has established September as a very important month at the publisher -- and as revealed on Newsarama, they're looking to keep that momentum going with each of their mainline titles set to flash-forward five years into the potential future, along with the return of "Villains Month"-style lenticular covers. The issues will tie-in to DC's upcoming weekly series "The New 52: Futures End," which debuts in May.

"It gives some exciting teases of potential storylines that might be coming for our characters in the near future," DiDio told Newsarama of the month-long "Futures End" event. "These stories aren't going to just be tied into the weekly. But what you'll be seeing is a lot of the writers who are working on series right now projecting forward -- their ideas, their storylines, where they think their character might be five years from now."

The lenticular "Villains Month" covers -- featuring 3D and motion -- helped DC capture both unit and dollar share on the Diamond charts last September, but also led to allocations due to the process involved in printing the books. This year's covers will feature updated technology, according to DiDio.

"All the lenticular covers will be in the titles of the ongoing series," DiDio said to Newsarama. "The covers now will also have the ability to have a 'flicker' effect. That means that the images change and show the transformation going on… There is a level of change that is taking place with our characters during the course of this story."

In the article, DiDio said DC worked with retailers to devise a "structure and plan" that would be mutually beneficial and "make sure that the right amount of books are on the shelf."

In September 2011, DC launched "The New 52," rebooting their continuity and relaunching their entire DC Universe line with new #1s. DC follows a year later with "Zero Month," books set in the past; and "Villains Month" in September 2013. Each initiative has been a major sales success for the publisher.

Newsarama states that DC plans on launching new ongoing series in June and July that will be a part of the "Futures End" tie-in month, and that the September event will "lead into a new major project" starting in October. DC's announcement was made as part of the ComicsPRO retailers meeting currently ongoing in Atlanta, Georgia.

DC's September 2014 Event Revealed, 3D COVERS Return
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

DC: Five Years Later (FYL)

Postby TheButcher on Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:26 pm

DC Comics’ 3D Covers Return For September 2014′s Five Years Later Event (UPDATE)
Rich Johnston wrote:They made a big splash in September 2013. If you could get them. The 3D lenticular covers used to launch Villains Month. And hideously underprinted as China ran out of enough plastic to make them (apparently) leaving retailers heavily allocated and everyone scrabbling to get a 3D cover for Joker’s Daughter.

Some people got burned.

But now… they’re back! Announced at DC Day at ComicsPRO Retailer Summit in Atlanta, Georgia, DC Comics will be bringing them back for the September event in 2014… more details when we have them. Will they illustrate the Five Years Later future versions of the characters as we’ve been expecting?

UPDATE: Yes, yes, as we reported in October 2013, September 2014 will feature all the DC books pushed forwards to the Five Years Later timeline as seen in Future’s End. What will we see? Batwoman’s marriage? Lois and Clark’s son? Lex Luthor’s fully grown Superman clone? Many things to anticipate! And everyone, naturally, with a new costume for the cover…

This time, however, expect a little more preparation from DC…
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: DC: Five Years Later (FYL)

Postby TheButcher on Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:30 pm

Next Year’s DC Comics September Event Revealed? Five Years Later (UPDATE)

Rich Johnston wrote:So, every September is going to be “sweeps week” for DC Comics now it seems. New 52 launch, Zero Month, Villains Month…

So what’s for 2014?

The New 52 is meant to take place five years after Superman emerges.

Well, next September, according to comic professional chatter on the comics convention circuit which has just reached me, it is currently being planned that all books will skip forward, for a month, another five years into their future.

And just as One Year Later launched the weekly book 52, so Five Years Later will launch a DC weekly book, with creators that I’m told include Greg Rucka, Brian Azzarello, Dan Jurgens, Robert Venditti and more, set in that world. (UPDATE: Not Greg Rucka… though someone would really like him to be. But a current DC comics creator gets in touch to say “Not Rucka or Venditti. But you didn’t hear it from me.” I certainly didn’t! But it it does seem to confirm that something of this order is occurring…)

Now this is just a plan. Plans gang aft agley. There have been planned weeklies before. I’m not sure when any of this will be announced, NYCC seems too early, but there could be teasers. Also watch for references in upcoming comic books to that date “it isn’t ready yet, but it will in five years time”, “you are to serve time in jail, five years, no parole”, that kind of thing.

(UPDATE: It’s been pointed out that in Forever Evil #2, when triggering the Bizarro clone, Lex Luthor said it would have been ready in five years…)

The Legion Of Superheroes went through this same thing a few years ago. Say, does that mean Justice League 3000 is going to skip forward to Justice League 3005 for a month? And just how much will the five year future resemble that of Twilight Of The Superheroes?

Welcome to the future, New 52…
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Eight Months Later (EML)

Postby TheButcher on Mon May 19, 2014 5:25 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby so sorry on Wed May 21, 2014 10:53 am

Wow, a whole 8 MONTHS IN THE FUTURE?????? Do you think they'll be flying cars and sharks with lasers? :roll:
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheButcher on Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:42 am

so sorry wrote:

Wow, a whole 8 MONTHS IN THE FUTURE?????? Do you think they'll be flying cars and sharks with lasers? :roll:

Marvel's Executive Editor Reveals More About 'Time Runs Out' Storyline
Tom Brevoort says the September-launching "Avengers" storyline won't just hint at next year's Marvel Universe months ahead of time, it will show details.

DETAILS!!!!!!!!!!!
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:24 pm

Bleeding Cool:
Marvel’s Time Runs Out – It’s Like Secret Wars In Reverse
You could also say its a bit like One Year Later and 52 in reverse as well. But best Make Mine Marvel, I suppose…
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Eight Months Later (EML)/ Secret Wars 2015

Postby TheButcher on Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:14 am

TheButcher wrote:Bleeding Cool:
Marvel’s Time Runs Out – It’s Like Secret Wars In Reverse
You could also say its a bit like One Year Later and 52 in reverse as well. But best Make Mine Marvel, I suppose…

Marvel Announces Secret Wars 2015 To Follow Time Runs Out, by Jonathan Hickman and Esad Ribic
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Return to Comic Books