Batman: Character Origins (A stupid q for Nachokoolaid)

Graphic novels. Weekly rags. The @$$holes.

Batman: Character Origins (A stupid q for Nachokoolaid)

Postby RaulMonkey on Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:40 pm

Say, Nacho, something occurred to me the other day. A few years ago I read a screenplay on triggerstreet.com called SPRING HEELED JACK. It was a historical thriller set in Victorian London, detailing a detective's search for an elusive murderer who targeted young women a la Jack the Ripper, but had the ability to bound over rooftops and leap great distances thanks to special spring-loaded footwear. The murderer also dressed all in black and the synopsis claimed that he was an original inspiration for BATMAN.

Anyway, the script was written by an English teacher, and you've had Batman in your av for a long time, so I just got to wondering: was that you who wrote it?(!)

And for everyone else, what do you know about this screenwriter's claim that Batman was inspired by a masked madman from 19th century England? Completely apocryphal? Is there any seed of truth to this at all?
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Postby Adam Balm on Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:46 pm

Found this at the beeb.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:50 pm

LINKAGE
Relavent passage.
Although lacking durable literary value, the Spring Heeled Jack series exerted an important influence as a predecessor of modern day pulp magazine and comic superheroes, taking into consideration that they were written twenty years before the first Zorro adventure and more than half a century before other fictional characters like Batman or the Lone Ranger were created. Such lasting influence and its consequent cultural importance were, for most part of the 20th century, practically forgotten.

So Batman isn't really from Birmingham.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Theta on Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:18 pm

True story: you know how people call somebody a 'lone wolf?' Comes from a series of popular novels way back when, about a jewel thief called the Lone Wolf. I don't think they're even in print anymore...language is bizarre sometimes.
This comment is in no way meant to insist your opinion is wrong or be considered an edict, solely this poster's opinion. That said, you are still a fool and will kneel before me in supplication.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby Bob Samonkey on Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:35 pm

I knew a guy who wanted everyone to call him Lone Wolf McCool. He also got really mad when people laughed at him. He was mad alot.

This is really a true story.Unfortunately.
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Kilgore on Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:05 am

Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:I knew a guy who wanted everyone to call him Lone Wolf McCool. He also got really mad when people laughed at him. He was mad alot.

Um...thanks for that...now I have to scrub my brain.

I am quite fond of the part on there where he says he's 'not very personable', yet the whole Lone Wolf McCool thing is indicative af a need for approval, thus a need for people - IT'S IRONIC! HE'S A CONUNDRUM TRAPPED IN A RIDDLE WRAPPED IN SOME DELICIOUS PITA BREAD!

Also, one loses lots of points for leading off a web page on themselves by disavowing a like for that same said webspace. As a rule, if you aren't real keen on something you are actively participating in, then perhaps 'not participating' would be the best option for inner peace.

This is the sort of myspace profile I have long imagined Corey Feldman having.
Kilgore
AIRWOLF

Postby Bob Samonkey on Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:11 am

Hey I try. All his friends called him Asshead because, well, he was.
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Kilgore on Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:14 am

seems about right...
Kilgore
AIRWOLF

Postby buster00 on Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:27 am

Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:I knew a guy who wanted everyone to call him Lone Wolf McCool. He also got really mad when people laughed at him. He was mad alot.

I dare you. Understand? I DARE you to go to Lonewolf McCool's MySpace and "Take The LONEWOLF QUIZ!"

I would, but there's no fuckin' way I'm gonna touch it with my hands.

Back on topic, clearly Lone Wolf McCool was the inspiration for Batman.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chairman Kaga on Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:33 am

hmmm I remember long ago reading about Spring Heel Jack but I did not make a connection betwixt him and the Bat.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby RaulMonkey on Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:42 pm

No mention of Batman in the wikipedia article, save for the broad all-comic-books inspiration mentioned in the quote from Fried Gold above, but check out the illustration from 1890 that they had.

RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Postby Chairman Kaga on Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:54 pm

I like this larger image
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby RaulMonkey on Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:59 pm

Nice. That's like a Conan O'Brien/National Geographic World "What in the World?" thing.
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Postby RaulMonkey on Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:59 pm

Except, you know, not at all.
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Postby buster00 on Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:05 pm

This is great stuff! Really getting my imagination working. I've heard the phrase "Spring Heeled Jack" before, but never followed it this far.

I think the most fun part of this topic isn't whether Spring Heeled Jack was an inspiration for Batman. I'd say he clearly was; a cursory study of Bob Kane's, Bill Finger's, and Jerry Robinson's influences will show you that virtually ALL of the Batman mythology was cribbed from somewhere in fiction.

Go back to Fried Gold's Wikipedia link and Adam Balm's BBC link, read them all the way through, and ask yourself this much more FUN question:

What if Spring Heeled Jack was REAL? What if England really HAD a Batman? Certainly not a novel notion (e.g. Gotham By Gaslight), but still....
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby RaulMonkey on Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:10 pm

Definitely would be cool, buster. The only thing is, Spring Heeled Jack seems like he was more of a nuisance, if not an outright murderer, than a crimefighter. But maybe if Batman was real, a hundred years down the road he would have faded into a myth, and it would have been distorted to the point where he seemed like more of a criminal. This is idea touched on all the time in comic books and superhero movies, like when the Commissioner in BATMAN BEGINS is bitching about Batman and saying he needs to be arrested, and the way J.J. Jameson prints slanderous articles about Spider-man.
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Postby RaulMonkey on Sat May 06, 2006 3:29 am

Yo, Nacho: you never responded to this thread, so I thought I'd put it up there now that I see you're in the Zone.
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Postby lonewolf_mccool on Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:28 pm

Kilgore wrote:

Um...thanks for that...now I have to scrub my brain.

I am quite fond of the part on there where he says he's 'not very personable', yet the whole Lone Wolf McCool thing is indicative af a need for approval, thus a need for people - IT'S IRONIC! HE'S A CONUNDRUM TRAPPED IN A RIDDLE WRAPPED IN SOME DELICIOUS PITA BREAD!

Also, one loses lots of points for leading off a web page on themselves by disavowing a like for that same said webspace. As a rule, if you aren't real keen on something you are actively participating in, then perhaps 'not participating' would be the best option for inner peace.

This is the sort of myspace profile I have long imagined Corey Feldman having.

hahahaha! I did a google search for myself and found this board.

I was tying to figure out who you are Bob S. Then when I read "asshead", I figure you must know Dylan (Mr 156).

Thanks for the kind words...geez. I think the amount of time we've known each other can be counted in hours. You're the guy that came to Cali six years ago to pick up Dylan right?
Sorry I left such a bad (and lasting) impression!
I guess my MySpace didn't help me much...

Tell Dylan I said hi...

Asshead McCool...
lonewolf_mccool
GLIB

Postby Pacino86845 on Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:48 pm

WOW, I feel as though I've been touched by greatness!!! What happened to your MySpace, Lone W.?
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby lonewolf_mccool on Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:17 pm

I get sick of MySpace and delete my profiles from time to time and then get sucked back in again...

Here's the latest: myspace.com/lonewolfmccool

have a blast...
lonewolf_mccool
GLIB

Postby RaulMonkey on Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:23 pm

Haha. A thread from the days before I knew how to use PM.

So, Nacho. Were you the dude who wrote that SPRING-HEELED JACK screenplay I read? :-P
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Postby Bob Samonkey on Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:46 pm

You know I have never looked up my Alt name before. Well I have not even looked up my real name till today. How funny...
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Hermanator X on Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:42 pm

I once found a webpage of a midget doing a parachute jump when I searched for my real name. Shame I cant seem to find it these days....
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby lonewolf_mccool on Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:03 pm

Apparently "Bob", you don't check your inbox.

You've proven how brave you are by talking shit about someone you've litterally spent no more than an hour or two of your life with (five years ago no less).
You claimed to know me, which you don't.
You claim to know about my friends, which you don't.
I want to know your justification and what I did exactly that offended you. Because if I did do something in that brief period of time we had spent hanging out that would cause you to harbor a five year+ grudge against me, I would have made an apology if you had approached me.

If I had your phone number, I'd call you. If you lived near by, I'd go to your house. Unfortunately, e-mail is the only method at our disposal.
Considering your statments, compounded with the fact you put a direct link to my MySpace page on a public board,....I think I'm owed an explanation...

So, how about being man enough to respond to my private e-mail, and keeping this between us?
huh?
lonewolf_mccool
GLIB

Postby so sorry on Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:04 pm

what the fuck is going on in here?

Are we about to see some poop-flinging?
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Bob Samonkey on Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:09 pm

I have never been in a flame war before. I sent him an email and hope we can work it out. I did not mean to piss him off. Those are the names he went by...
Last edited by Bob Samonkey on Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby havocSchultz on Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:10 pm

Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:I have never been in a flame way before. I sent him an email and hope we can work it out. I did not mean to piss him off. Those are the names he went by...

Asshead...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:19 pm

lonewolf_mccool wrote:Apparently "Bob", you don't check your inbox.

You've proven how brave you are by talking shit about someone you've litterally spent no more than an hour or two of your life with (five years ago no less).
I want to know your justification and what I did exactly that offended you. Because if I did do something in that brief period of time we had spent hanging out that would cause you to harbor a five year+ grudge against me, I would have made an apology if you had approached me.

If I had your phone number, I'd call you. If you lived near by, I'd go to your house. Unfortunately, e-mail is the only method at our disposal.
Considering your statments, compounded with the fact you put a direct link to my MySpace page on a public board,....I think I'm owed an explanation...

So, how about being man enough to respond to my private e-mail, and keeping this between us?
huh?

No hate just debate, fucko!

And nobody messes with BobBigHands while I'm around.

B4NN3D!
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby havocSchultz on Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:23 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:

huh?

No hate just debate, fucko!

And nobody messes with BobBigHands while I'm around.

B4NN3D!

Asshead...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Maui on Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:26 pm

hmmm....a bay area numbnut.

I can send my posse out after him. Just lemme know Bob!

I have connections. 8)

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Maui
WoWie

Postby minstrel on Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:31 pm

Thanks, Moo.

We don't need people trying to bring non-Zone grievances into our happy Zone. That's just poison.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby Chairman Kaga on Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:32 pm

This thread is awesome. His name seem very alf too.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Bob Samonkey on Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:32 pm

I really feel bad now. His friend Dylan whom I have known for 15 years said he had tended to get mad but I did not want this to happen...
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Vegeta on Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:34 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:This thread is awesome. His name seem very alf too.

Like McLovin'? 8)
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby Chairman Kaga on Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:37 pm

Wasn't the internet invented to make people mad?
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:38 pm

Who the fuck does a google search about themselves? Am I alone here in thinking that is a whole new kind of vain?
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Vegeta on Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:39 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:Who the fuck does a google search about themselves? Am I alone here in thinking that is a whole new kind of vain?

You would think so... unfortunately it is all too common. :(
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby havocSchultz on Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:39 pm

Maybe he's like Beetlejuice or something...

Just say his name 3 times and he'll appear...

Lone Wolf McCool...

Lone Wolf McCool...

Lone Wolf McCool...

Ah...

There he is...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Chairman Kaga on Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:42 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:Who the fuck does a google search about themselves? Am I alone here in thinking that is a whole new kind of vain?

A google search of your online handle, yes. One of your real name not so much
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:48 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:

A google search of your online handle, yes. One of your real name not so much

Ha! I had never googled my real name or my handle. After reading this I just HAD to google my real name. I ended up with two resutls. One from a livejournal, the other was actually a video interview I did for the Buffy sing-a-long. Made me laugh. Not sure why, but I never thought of "googling" myself before. It felt odd doing it.

Check out the Chicago Meet-Up thread if you want to see 3 seconds of Lecko pontificating on the wonders of the Music Box Theatre.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:34 am

YOU SUCK!!!
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Bob Samonkey on Sat Oct 27, 2007 3:00 am

Yep...
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:17 am

asshead has been banned, sorry the thread reads all qweird now.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby unikrunk on Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:18 am

huh?

HANDS, you are behind these hi-jinx, eh? This can't be real. If it is, HOLY FUCK funny - Hey Lone Wolf McAsshat, welcome to the zone...and fare thee well.

Nobody fucks with the HANDS.

Oh, you have already been banninated...well, when you sign in with your new alt, and review this message, just picture me giving you the finger. And by that I mean; fuck you.

Sincerely,

Oh, I almost forgot:

He can't' love you back...
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pacino86845 on Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:28 am

Krunk, I'm surprised at you!!! I thought you'd at least offer the guy some... cake? :wink:
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby unikrunk on Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:42 am

Pacino86845 wrote:Krunk, I'm surprised at you!!! I thought you'd at least offer the guy some... cake? :wink:

Oh Christ! I forgot the cake. AssLone MsFuckbat, help yourself to some of the magic cake. All answers are in the cake. Eat the cake.

He can't' love you back...
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fawst on Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:32 am

But last time, I didn't get my piece of cake, and...
Prince of the Land of Stench!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Return to Comic Books