Star Trek comics (NEW SERIES W/ COVER!)

Graphic novels. Weekly rags. The @$$holes.

Star Trek comics (NEW SERIES W/ COVER!)

Postby Adam Balm on Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:51 pm

Erik Larsen wrote in his column this week of his lifelong love for Trek, with an observation that almost all attempts to translate this into comic form have fallen somewhat flat. So after following the Star Trek XI thread for most of the week, I started to wonder about this.

Why are they usually so dull? I don't think it's the lack of powers. The recent Adam Strange mini was brilliant SF done featuring a character with no powers. But then again he has the costume and the rocket pack, so it's going to be a lot more visually interesting anyway. Maybe it's the same reason that the TOS animated series was found by some to be dull. Maybe a bunch of guys sitting around in one room talking and pushing buttons is something that people don't read comics for.

So does anybody else have any thoughts or ideas on this?
Last edited by Adam Balm on Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Shane on Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:28 pm

I think most of star trek is dull to start with, so the comics are not much different.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby Leckomaniac on Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:42 pm

I have never read a stak trek comic, but for me, I have trouble getting into comic books that are based off of TV shows. I have read the Spike/Angel comics, Serenity Comics, and Alias comics and I never really could get into them. For me, the stories worked because of the actors and the relationships they portrayed on the screen. Tranlating those things to the comic book medium just has not been successful IMO. I fully understand that they are different mediums, but I think its hard for me to adjust from one to the other. This might be the same with the Star Trek comics, but again since I have never read them I am only speculating.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Re: Star Trek comics...why do they suck?

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:46 pm

Adam Balm wrote: Maybe a bunch of guys sitting around in one room talking and pushing buttons is something that people don't read comics for.

*cough* Bendis *cough*
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Re: Star Trek comics...why do they suck?

Postby Theta on Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:46 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
Adam Balm wrote: Maybe a bunch of guys sitting around in one room talking and pushing buttons is something that people don't read comics for.

*cough* Bendis *cough*

Dear Lord, man, shut up! The licenseholders might hear you!

Actually, I think part of the reason ST comics aren't generally that great is the same reason most COMICS aren't generally that great; even the best aren't on their game all the time. There have been some solid efforts, it's not suckage across the board, but you do have to dig to find it.
This comment is in no way meant to insist your opinion is wrong or be considered an edict, solely this poster's opinion. That said, you are still a fool and will kneel before me in supplication.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby SilentBobX on Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:01 pm

I've read a few Trek comics, including the ridiculous Xmen crossover and I must concur. Trek is dreadfully dull on paper, just like the movies. Especially the NG and DS9 ones.

I still have to wonder how Trek could go from being a cult tv show that was actually cool to being the absolute dog's ass end of scifi entertainment(Wrath of Khan notwithstanding).

Well at least Trek is gone and I'm glad noone wants any part of it. RIP and don't come back. Thank you.
SilentBobX
AIRWOLF

Postby Adam Balm on Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:08 pm

SilentBobX wrote:Well at least Trek is gone and I'm glad noone wants any part of it. RIP and don't come back. Thank you.

Whatever you do, don't click on the thread labeled 'The Official Star Trek XI thread'. I don't want to be the one to disappoint you.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Mon May 01, 2006 1:23 am

Adam Balm wrote:
SilentBobX wrote:Well at least Trek is gone and I'm glad noone wants any part of it. RIP and don't come back. Thank you.

Whatever you do, don't click on the thread labeled 'The Official Star Trek XI thread'. I don't want to be the one to disappoint you.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Theta on Mon May 01, 2006 6:57 pm

SilentBobX wrote:I still have to wonder how Trek could go from being a cult tv show that was actually cool to being the absolute dog's ass end of scifi entertainment(Wrath of Khan notwithstanding).

In a word: money. Paramount made so much that the executives went out of their way to quash anything that might threaten the steady returns. WoK is a case in point: it was made for a very low budget, and remains the most popular piece of Trek to date.

I'm sure Abrams will rape the corpse of the franchise, piss on it, and light it on fire, and THEN Trek will be dead for a good ten years.
This comment is in no way meant to insist your opinion is wrong or be considered an edict, solely this poster's opinion. That said, you are still a fool and will kneel before me in supplication.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby Adam Balm on Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:43 pm

Oh.

My.

God.

Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby King Psyz on Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:19 pm

what the bananas?
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby Adam Balm on Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:26 pm

Oh, that's the cover to Star Trek: TOS #1 that was just announced.

I um, guess I should've mentioned that....
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby minstrel on Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:31 pm

Looks like septic sludge to me. But then, I've been drinking. But maybe not drinking enough.
Last edited by minstrel on Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby Adam Balm on Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:31 pm

Aww, I know you mean that in the nicest of ways. ;)
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby minstrel on Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:37 pm

Looks to me like Kirk is grimacing because that blue bitch he's wrestling is putting too much pressure on his dislocated left shoulder. And Spock is looking offscreen at the director, wondering why they cast an ape to play McCoy.

Extras from Pirates of the Caribbean populate the rest of the shot.

I'll pass.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby buster00 on Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:22 am

minstrel wrote:Looks like septic sludge to me. But then, I've been drinking. But maybe not drinking enough.

Looks to me like Dr. McCoy could use one more for the road, too. He looks...feral.

Like even more than usual.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Adam Balm on Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:23 am

I tink Cap'n Kirk juss dun stole his wum'n.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby buster00 on Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:31 am

Well, she must be very popular. That knife-wielding Klingon is all pissed off at him, too.

Namor's cousin really gets around, hey?
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Adam Balm on Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:00 pm

Comic Continuum has some cool info from Wizard World LA on IDW's upcoming Star Trek comics, including some new art for Star Trek: The Original Series -Year 4. As most people will remember, TOS was cancelled three years into the original 5 year mission. This series picks up right after, during those two 'lost years' of Trek:

Also in April they're doing the Klingons: Blood Will Tell mini that is "taking classic stories and reversing them and showing the whole thing from the Klingon perspective,". And then another six issue mini called Star Trek: Alien Spotlight with Steve Niles writing about the Borg and the other issues being about the Vulcans and Orion Slave Women.

http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/0703/18/idwpanel.htm
Last edited by Adam Balm on Wed May 30, 2007 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby buster00 on Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:14 pm

Wow, those look great. That Klingon mini sounds interesting too.

And I'm always down for anything involving Orion Slave Wimmins.

They're better than hookers! They're slaves!
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Adam Balm on Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:30 am

buster00 wrote:Wow, those look great. That Klingon mini sounds interesting too.

And I'm always down for anything involving Orion Slave Wimmins.

They're better than hookers! They're slaves!

Actually, they've been ret-conned into not being slaves now apparently. :cry: At least in Enterprise anyway. We'll see if they keep the continuity for the comic...
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:15 am

Let's hope that's not in the comic.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Brocktune on Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:57 pm

i have always loved Star Trek in comic form. no matter how poorly drawn, or poorly written, they can be, and often are.

im definitely picking this shit up.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Adam Balm on Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:40 am

Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:09 am

Not too keen on the fact that Star Trek: Year Four is only a six issue mini. Why not do it like Buffy and have 20+ issues for year four and 20+ issues for Year Five?

Damn IDW.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Brocktune on Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:55 pm

when is this going on sale?
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Ginger Man on Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:37 pm

Hrm....the art looks intriguing, but I agree...Trek comics tend to suck the big one. I think it's a couple of things. But mainly, it's the writing...as these characters tend to be handled as one-note caricatures. Which leads to another issue...too much homage...not enough new. Like towards the end of Enterprise, it constantly slapped you in the face with it. "Hey! We're Star Trek! You like Khan? Data? We got that! And Mirror World!"

Also, Trek is strong due to performances and style. W/O these, it just doesn't feel like Trek. Same goes for the novels. Even the shitty movies are tolerable b/c at least they've got Shatner or Stewart on the screen.
The Ginger Man
Hong Kong Drizzle

Postby Adam Balm on Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:40 pm

Brocktune wrote:when is this going on sale?

July. There's an interview with the creators here:

http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=110139

read Astounding Space Thrills I don't know how long ago so I remember almost nothing about it, other than it was fun as hell. So I'm cautiously optimistic about this guy. Though I'm kind of disappointed they're calling it "season four" claiming it's a real continuation of the series, but then not even using any of the unproduced scripts and outlines that are still lying around from TOS and the aborted phase II. Oh well.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed May 30, 2007 6:21 pm

An interview with the writer of Year Four can be found here

You can also find a 4 page preview there.
Last edited by Leckomaniac on Wed May 30, 2007 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Adam Balm on Wed May 30, 2007 6:29 pm

You gotta respect the guy's passion. And I have no doubt he'll deliver a fun read, that's true to the spirit of the series. But man, why do they have to call it 'year four' as if it's somehow an official continuation of the series, ala with Buffy Season Eight? That's what really miffs me. Don't pretend that you're more than you are.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed May 30, 2007 6:34 pm

Adam Balm wrote:You gotta respect the guy's passion. And I have no doubt he'll deliver a fun read, that's true to the spirit of the series. But man, why do they have to call it 'year four' as if it's somehow an official continuation of the series, ala with Buffy Season Eight? That's what really miffs me. Don't pretend that you're more than you are.

Yeah...you know it is just a marketing gimmick. They figure they can sell a lot of comics if they pawn it off as being Year Four. I still am pissed that it is only a mini. I would love to see an on-going set in TOS universe...maybe if this sells well enough.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Adam Balm on Wed May 30, 2007 6:39 pm

Yeah, see that's why I'm conflicted. It would be so awesome having a monthly TOS series (Well, a good one.), so I would like this to succeed. And I know I'm going to overcome my fanboy snobbiness and go out and buy it.

But if they wanted to do an actual continuation of the series, all they'd have to do is pick up some of the unproduced episode screenplays that were lying around when the show got canned, or some episodes and plotlines from the aborted Star Trek Phase II (Well, the ones that weren't picked up and used in Next Gen.). That would be a real 'year four' as Gene Roddenberry intended. This is fundamentally dishonest. It has nothing to do with how Trek would've gone if it had got a fourth year.

Uggh. Sorry. Rant over.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed May 30, 2007 6:50 pm

Adam Balm wrote:Yeah, see that's why I'm conflicted. It would be so awesome having a monthly TOS series (Well, a good one.), so I would like this to succeed. And I know I'm going to overcome my fanboy snobbiness and go out and buy it.

But if they wanted to do an actual continuation of the series, all they'd have to do is pick up some of the unproduced episode screenplays that were lying around when the show got canned, or some episodes and plotlines from the aborted Star Trek Phase II (Well, the ones that weren't picked up and used in Next Gen.). That would be a real 'year four' as Gene Roddenberry intended. This is fundamentally dishonest. It has nothing to do with how Trek would've gone if it had got a fourth year.

Uggh. Sorry. Rant over.

No I totally hear that. I mean Buffy Season 8 can be called that because Joss Whedon is spearheading it. It is his vision for where the show would have gone. This is not the same thing and it comes off as a cheap gimmick. The irony is that i don't think they needed the gimmick to sell comics. I mean it is Star Trek one of the few properties that practically sells itself.

Furthermore, if the object is to ultimately sell the most comics...they should have actually used the unproduced scripts and called that Year Four. It seems the most logical avenue to take.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby SilentBobX on Wed May 30, 2007 7:33 pm

Trek comics have always been disappointing. I've never seen any from any series that's been worth my time. I see most in the quarter bin at cons I go to. Probably be worth a fortune in 100 years due to the fact I rarely see any worth anything now, so naturally they'll be gone except for a few.

Maybe..........

Mahalo
SilentBobX
AIRWOLF

Postby Adam Balm on Wed May 30, 2007 7:50 pm

SilentBobX wrote:Trek comics have always been disappointing. I've never seen any from any series that's been worth my time. I see most in the quarter bin at cons I go to. Probably be worth a fortune in 100 years due to the fact I rarely see any worth anything now, so naturally they'll be gone except for a few.

Maybe..........

Mahalo

Okay, so getting back to the original question of this thread (thanks for that btw), the question is why? Why are they almost always dull. Is it all tv shows turned into comics or is Trek just especially good at sucking in comic form? Why has Star Wars done great comics and Star Trek almost always fallen flat? Is it just that Star Wars has always been more visually oriented, and thus lends itself better to comics?

There's been some good points made so far. Lecko said that for one thing, you don't have the magic that is the actors interacting and their performances together, which was what always sold Trek on the screen. But I can't see why that would matter. That doesn't stop you from being able to write a good story that can stand on its own.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chairman Kaga on Wed May 30, 2007 8:03 pm

Adam Balm wrote:Yeah, see that's why I'm conflicted. It would be so awesome having a monthly TOS series (Well, a good one.), so I would like this to succeed. And I know I'm going to overcome my fanboy snobbiness and go out and buy it.

Uggh. Sorry. Rant over.

I had never heard or read aout Phase II until you mentioned it Balm. Thanks for doing so, it sounded like an interesting concept. I wonder if this relates to Abrams going back to TOS for the next film(s)?
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Adam Balm on Wed May 30, 2007 8:11 pm

As far as I know, no one's mentioned anything about including any of the ideas for Phase II in Abrams' reboot.

Most of the ideas were either incorporated into Star Trek: The Motion Picture (The plot with V'Ger is basically the pilot for ST: P2) with a lot of the episodes finding their way into the next generation.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chairman Kaga on Wed May 30, 2007 8:35 pm

See I was wondering if it's going to be a "reboot" or rather a continuation much like the proposed Phase II would have been.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed May 30, 2007 8:39 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:See I was wondering if it's going to be a "reboot" or rather a continuation much like the proposed Phase II would have been.

If you're referring to the new film...I am not sure if that question has been answered yet. That is, the "reboot"/continuation question.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Adam Balm on Wed May 30, 2007 8:42 pm

It's a reboot in that it's 'Kirk Begins' or 'When Kirk met Spock' whatever you want to call it. It's somewhere between prequel and re-imagining. They say they're doing their best to stay in continuity, but I don't think they're going to worry about it too much.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed May 30, 2007 8:45 pm

Adam Balm wrote:It's a reboot in that it's 'Kirk Begins' or 'When Kirk met Spock' whatever you want to call it. It's somewhere between prequel and re-imagining. They say they're doing their best to stay in continuity, but I don't think they're going to worry about it too much.

Well I stand corrected. It all sounds a bit murky to me. Between this film and The Incredible Hulk I think a new word needs to be coined to describe where the films stand.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chairman Kaga on Wed May 30, 2007 9:02 pm

I didn't realized any info nailing that down had been released....
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Adam Balm on Wed May 30, 2007 9:23 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:Well I stand corrected. It all sounds a bit murky to me. Between this film and The Incredible Hulk I think a new word needs to be coined to describe where the films stand.

Yeah, there's also Casino Royale and Superman Returns which are kind of reboots, but kind of prequel/sequel/continuations. It's getting murkier isn't it?
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed May 30, 2007 9:32 pm

Superman Returns is probably one of the weirder ones. It apparently is a sequel/continuation of Superman I + II, but not III or IV. Now THAT is bizarre...even though I adore that film. :lol:

But, yeah, it is totally murkier...and it is actually coming to the point where it is confusing for audiences. I can't wait to see what the reaction is to The Incredible Hulk. I imagine there will be a lot of WTF? comments from audiences.

Anywho, back to the topic at hand...my original post in this thread suggested that maybe it is tough to make the transition from the TV medium to the comics medium. For the most part, it is hard to capture the same voice. Since I made that post, however, the Buffy comic has been released and that has perfectly captured the voice of the TV show. Also, Spike Asylum came pretty close as well...so why has the Star Trek property failed in comic book form? Perhaps it hasn't found the proper writer? I am not sure. Maybe because the comics position in Star Trek canon was not exactly clear? I mean with Buffy Season 8 we know that this is official and in canon, but that is not always the case with these types of books.

Just some more speculation on my part.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Thu May 31, 2007 11:37 am

I would argue that Trek comics have not failed on the whole. The DC TOS-movie series and spin-offs ran for quite a while and received support and a good deal of respect from the Trek fan community.

That given (especially as a large number of Trek fans will support anything that isn't a complete hackjob), the comics did suffer from the lack of "performances." Buffy Season Eight works largely because Whedon is writing these characters and he knows exactly how they speak. I hear the voices of the actors as I read the new Buffy comic. That has never been the case with a Trek comic. None of the Trek comics writers had significant ties to any of the series, though some had written Trek novels (Peter David most notably). Watching 30 years of series and movies just isn't the same as having been there when the shows were put together. David Gerrold, perhaps with an established comics writer as partner, might have written great Trek comics given the opportunity.
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby BuckyO'harre on Thu May 31, 2007 3:27 pm

Mine isn't quite a comic, but here it is-
One problem-
Why is Uhura white?

and Sulu black? nice shot of Spock there though..

I wonder what this strange, black disc is?
Thank you, Zoners, for the kindness, tolerance, and enlightenment you've shared with me. It may not have been deserved, but it was greatly appreciated nonetheless. Soupy twist.
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Thu May 31, 2007 4:12 pm

Ah, those book-and-record combos. Loved 'em. The publishers didn't know who was what race except for Kirk, Spock and McCoy. They just knew it was a multi-racial cast -- also what colors characters' uniforms were, what differen sets looked like, etc. There's a great James Bama painting from one of the early Trek paperbacks in which rocket exhaust is shooting from the backs of the warp drive nacelles and the shuttle craft bay.

DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby scramble network on Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:14 am

DennisMM wrote:I would argue that Trek comics have not failed on the whole. The DC TOS-movie series and spin-offs ran for quite a while and received support and a good deal of respect from the Trek fan community.

Yeah, I'd agree. The DC series and adaptations ran for a long time and saw a lot of success.

Also, the biggest reason these adaptations fail is the writer's can't do anything that dramatically alters the status quo, for fear of screwing with the property's continuity. Nothing truly important can happen in them, so how are readers supposed to get excited about that?

The best TV to comic effort of all time was Larry Hama's run on G.I. Joe, which outgrew the toy line and the cartoon. But that's the rare exception to the rule.
Visit Scramble Network, a pop culture blog for everyone:
<a href=http://www.scramblenetwork.com>http://www.scr amblenetwork.com</a>
scramble network
GLIB

Postby Adam Balm on Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:26 am

First, welcome to the Zone, SN.

scramble network wrote:
DennisMM wrote:I would argue that Trek comics have not failed on the whole. The DC TOS-movie series and spin-offs ran for quite a while and received support and a good deal of respect from the Trek fan community.

Yeah, I'd agree. The DC series and adaptations ran for a long time and saw a lot of success.

Also, the biggest reason these adaptations fail is the writer's can't do anything that dramatically alters the status quo, for fear of screwing with the property's continuity. Nothing truly important can happen in them, so how are readers supposed to get excited about that?

VERY good point. This may be one reason why SW was more successful in comics. Most of their comics (well, the most popular ones anyway) were either set in different time periods or with new or unknown characters. More freedom of storytelling. Although Trek has had similar attempts, Starfleet Academy being one. And not so impressive results. Maybe it was just shitty writing.

The best TV to comic effort of all time was Larry Hama's run on G.I. Joe, which outgrew the toy line and the cartoon. But that's the rare exception to the rule.

Can you be more specific? I'm curious now. I've never read the Joe comics. What do you think they did right with them?
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby scramble network on Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:07 am

Larry Hama, who had a 150-something issue run on G.I. Joe, was given a huge amount of latitude by Hasbro and Marvel... the comics were a much more mature and sophisticated look at the characters... key characters died, he re-imagined plenty of characters, giving them complex back stories... basically, he wasn't beholden to anything the toys or cartoons did.

It really is considered a classic comic run, especially the issues involving Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow. You should check it out if you ever get the chance.

The new series from Devil's Due is sort of a continuation of that, Hama even writes for it occasionally (including the Storm Shadow mini that just came out last week). Its got some flaws (really awful attempts at modern slang), but overally, I really dug it.
Visit Scramble Network, a pop culture blog for everyone:
<a href=http://www.scramblenetwork.com>http://www.scr amblenetwork.com</a>
scramble network
GLIB

Next

Return to Comic Books