The Question and Answer Thread

Graphic novels. Weekly rags. The @$$holes.

The Question and Answer Thread

Postby Coldfire24 on Tue May 23, 2006 4:12 pm

I've talked to a couple of guys and decided to start this question and answer thread. I know i've interrupted many a good comic thread with questions about what the hell is going on. So now everyone can ask questions here and you guys can answer.

I know what your thinking: "Look it up on Wikipedia or something like that"

That works some of the time and I mean you know you'll feel like a true super geek if you can answer the questions and this thread might spark some good conversation.
Coldfire24
AIRWOLF

Postby colonel_lugz on Tue May 23, 2006 4:13 pm

ask a question then!!
You Called Down The Thunder, Well Now You Got It!
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Adam Balm on Tue May 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Q: Coldfire, why can't you look it up on Wikipedia or something like that?
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby so sorry on Tue May 23, 2006 4:15 pm

whats with this Civil War thingie that you're all going on and on about?
I would like a one paragraph synopsis please.

I'll wait right here.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby colonel_lugz on Tue May 23, 2006 4:16 pm

so sorry wrote:whats with this Civil War thingie that you're all going on and on about?

I'll wait right here.

Yeah!! what wid dat?
You Called Down The Thunder, Well Now You Got It!
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Coldfire24 on Tue May 23, 2006 4:17 pm

Master Whendon said this thread was a good idea...look So Sorry already has a question.....*runs away crying*
Coldfire24
AIRWOLF

Postby MasterWhedon on Tue May 23, 2006 4:19 pm

Coldfire24 wrote:Master Whendon said this thread was a good idea...look So Sorry already has a question.....*runs away crying*

:oops:

I thought I was guaranteed anonymity...

No, I think it's a fine thread to ask questions about those pesky little details Wiki and other sites might not have.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Pacino86845 on Tue May 23, 2006 4:21 pm

I heard that Jack gets bitchslapped in "Lost: The Comicbook Adventure," is that true?
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Adam Balm on Tue May 23, 2006 4:22 pm

so sorry wrote:whats with this Civil War thingie that you're all going on and on about?

I'll wait right here.

It's a big event that Marvel is doing right now. Basically the heroes of the Marvel Universe are splitting over legislation in congress that would basically make superheroes public servants like cops or firefighters. They'd have to give up masked vigilantism and be publicly accountable.

http://www.marvel.com/comics/22

Captain America is against it. Iron Man is for it. All the heroes are now dividing into each camp. So to hype it up, Marvel released these sig pics for message boards, so you can declare your allegiance to either Iron Man or Captain America. And then folks on several message boards started photoshopping their own joke sig pics based on them, and it took off from there...
Last edited by Adam Balm on Tue May 23, 2006 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Coldfire24 on Tue May 23, 2006 4:23 pm

See look it works. Now I have a question..
In Ultimate Wolvie Vs. Hulk.....why does the Hulk have tons of hot chicks?
Coldfire24
AIRWOLF

Postby BuckyO'harre on Tue May 23, 2006 4:24 pm

Coldfire24 wrote:See look it works. Now I have a question..

Because green is the sexiest(masculine) color obviously.
Thank you, Zoners, for the kindness, tolerance, and enlightenment you've shared with me. It may not have been deserved, but it was greatly appreciated nonetheless. Soupy twist.
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MasterWhedon on Tue May 23, 2006 4:25 pm

Coldfire24 wrote:See look it works. Now I have a question..

Have you SEEN the size of his, er, Hulk?

I'm betting it comes along with Buddhist enlightenment. We'll have to wait until issue 3.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Adam Balm on Tue May 23, 2006 4:26 pm

Hello? He fucking ripped Wolverine in half. Seriously. In half. How do they come up with this stuff?!?!
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby so sorry on Tue May 23, 2006 4:28 pm

Adam Balm wrote:

I'll wait right here.

It's a big event that Marvel is doing right now. Basically the heroes of the Marvel Universe are splitting over legislation in congress that would basically make superheroes public servants like cops or firefighters. They'd have to give up masked vigilantism and be publicly accountable.

http://www.marvel.com/comics/22

Captain America is against it. Iron Man is for it. All the heroes are now dividing into each camp. So to hype it up, Marvel released these sig pics for message boards, so you can declare your allegiance to either Iron Man or Captain America. And then folks on several message boards started photoshopping their own joke sig pics based on them, and it took off from there...

thanks!
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Coldfire24 on Tue May 23, 2006 4:29 pm

Questions #1 and #2 Answered KUDOS to you comic nerds! ::wink::
Coldfire24
AIRWOLF

Postby plutonius on Wed May 24, 2006 10:52 am

What issues or trade(s) of the Uncanny X-men involve the dark phoenix saga that Harry keeps refering to?
"Some would say that the Earth is our moon."
plutonius
GLIB

Postby doglips on Wed May 24, 2006 11:42 am

plutonius wrote:What issues or trade(s) of the Uncanny X-men involve the dark phoenix saga that Grande Rojo keeps refering to?

Dark Phoenix Saga
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Pacino86845 on Wed May 24, 2006 11:49 am

When you go for "Look Inside" on that trade, amazon sends you to peek inside an older version, where the Dark Phoenix Saga was sold in two parts. On the back cover, it says something like "Will the X-Men be able to crush her alter-ego without killing her?"

What does that mean, exactly? To crush an alter-ego? Is that like, they called Dark Phoenix funny names until her self-esteem went down?
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Coldfire24 on Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:09 am

Ok Umm Remember Morph from the cartoon series i'm assuming he was in the comics....what happened to him?
Coldfire24
AIRWOLF

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:17 am

Coldfire24 wrote:Ok Umm Remember Morph from the cartoon series i'm assuming he was in the comics....what happened to him?

Well there is a HUGE difference between Morph in comics and in the animated series.

Basically the Morph from the animated series was thrown in because they wanted someone to die in the first arc to show that the series was serious. He wasn't anything like that in the comic books...in fact he was more like Changeling, but DC owned the rights to the name so they changed it to Morph.

He was meant to stay dead but was brought back because he was actually pretty popular.

In the comic books...Morph exists in parallel universes. He was a part of the Exiles and AoA.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Coldfire24 on Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:58 am

Thats a character they should bring back IMHO he could do some serious shit in the marvel 616 before someone figures out its him. I like it when they bring back obsure people who are still cool.
Coldfire24
AIRWOLF

Postby Flumm on Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:34 pm

OK, so I'm rereading my relatively small comic collection, if you can call it that, trying to feel my way as to what to follow up on and so forth, when I found my self going over Origin again...

SNIKKT!!! BASED SPIOLERS!

Can someone in the know, please clue me up a little to who Jame's/Wolvey's father really is? And also, where his mutant abilities are supposed to come from?

From the subtext of the book, I took his real father it to be Logan the groundskeeper... there seems to be a relationship, or at least history between him and James' mother, one page of silent stares between them, from a balcony to the grounds below, from one class to another, (echoed by the looks between Rose and Dog earlier), also the fact that Logan (the groundskeeper), seems to have something much more than just a chip on his shoulder towards James' father etc...

Yet it's undeniable that the angry, tempremental grandfather, also looks like an older Wolverine. I took this to just be a red herring almost, a way emphasize teh switch they pull a little ways in...

Also James' mother seems to know of the the claw mutation, actually having what seems like pretty first hand experience of it so to speak, (the scars that Rose accidentally sees), where has she gotten these from? Logan the groundskeeper? If so, then why doesn't use them on Jame's father in the break in? From James supposed Grandfather, perhaps? He has the rage for it. Something do with the loss of his first Grandson, Jame's sickly older brother? Maybe it's part of the reason why he feels above everyone? Why he feels remorse later down the road for exiling them? Maybe from her own family, or even the James' older brother now I think about it, perhaps that's what sent her mad in teh first place, perhaps he was killed in shame...

Anyway, you see where I coming from, I felt like that there was some serious ambiguity there...

I don't know. I actually like the way that everything isn't spelt it in the book, the way it plays on Wolverine's future relationships, the way that they imply that his healing ability stepped in to heal the emotional trauma to somehow save his mind from pain, the way that the mutations suddenly and violently manifest themselves into this old, repressed stilted world, almost like a horror story, the way goes into dangerous territory of exploring his background, but ultimately leaving it as something that he can never truely understand, at least not something that he isn't carrying around with him and can discover from other people anyway...

But I'm still a little hazy on the details. If anyone could help me out, or at least offer their interpretations, I would be most gratefull...

:roll:

Also, I can't imagine they're going anywhere near any of this this for the movie...
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Al Shut on Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:29 am

I don't konw if it's not totally clear in the co´mic or if I just overread an important dtail (again) but this question has been bothering me for some time now.

At the end of Watchmen when Dr. Manhattan deciedes to leave this galaxy, has he retained his ability to forsee the future?

When he talks to Adrian the line "I think perhaps I'll create some" sounds like he's uncertain about his future bu he could be acting it like he did all the years before. The line "In the end? Nothing ends, Adrian. Nothing ever ends." might indicate that he knows that Rorschach' Journal will be found but it also could be a gerneral wisdom.

So what do you think is his status godlike ruler of a galaxy or a puppet that sees the strings?
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Al Shut on Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:33 am

What nobody?
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:18 pm

Al_Shut wrote:At the end of Watchmen when Dr. Manhattan deciedes to leave this galaxy, has he retained his ability to forsee the future?

I don't see why not. The tachyons that distorted his ability to do so aren't permanent.

Al_Shut wrote:When he talks to Adrian the line "I think perhaps I'll create some" sounds like he's uncertain about his future bu he could be acting it like he did all the years before.

I took it he's off to create "human life". I didn't respond to this initially 'cuz I didn't get the "he could be acting it like he did all the years before" question. And I still don't.

Plus, I thought Dennis might grace us with his analysis.

Al_Shut wrote:The line "In the end? Nothing ends, Adrian. Nothing ever ends." might indicate that he knows that Rorschach' Journal will be found but it also could be a general wisdom.

Couple of things. One is that it's meta. We have been privy to Rorschach's Journal throughout Watchmen, no? The story may run, but we've already read the story. Secondly, yeah, it's general wisdom. Stories live on simply by being read, death is merely change from one state to another, matter cannot be created or destroyed and such.

Al_Shut wrote:So what do you think is his status godlike ruler of a galaxy or a puppet that sees the strings?

Both, actually. He was a "puppet that sees the strings", but now he's off to be a "godlike ruler" of his own galaxy. Which brings to mind questions of how he can escape the "rules" (cause and effect, for one. I mean, if he gets such a thrill out of "the uncertainty", "the excitement of not knowing", he would surely have to rid his universe of causality, no?) of our universe if he has to create his own universe within our universe, dig?

Metaphysics, courtesy of a funny book.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Al Shut on Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:47 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
Al_Shut wrote:When he talks to Adrian the line "I think perhaps I'll create some" sounds like he's uncertain about his future but he could be acting it like he did all the years before.

I took it he's off to create "human life". I didn't respond to this initially 'cuz I didn't get the "he could be acting it like he did all the years before" question. And I still don't.

I meant that the "perhaps" doesn't sound like he is sure about his future but that he has been acting like he doesn't know the future for the most time because that's what he saw himself doing.

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
Al_Shut wrote:The line "In the end? Nothing ends, Adrian. Nothing ever ends." might indicate that he knows that Rorschach' Journal will be found but it also could be a general wisdom.

Couple of things. One is that it's meta. We have been privy to Rorschach's Journal throughout Watchmen, no? The story may run, but we've already read the story. Secondly, yeah, it's general wisdom. Stories live on simply by being read, death is merely change from one state to another, matter cannot be created or destroyed and such.

Now I'm the one who doesn't get something. If he does know the future the line is not just general wisdom, then he knows that the assistant editor will find the journal and Veidts plan will fail.

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
Al_Shut wrote:So what do you think is his status godlike ruler of a galaxy or a puppet that sees the strings?

Both, actually. He was a "puppet that sees the strings", but now he's off to be a "godlike ruler" of his own galaxy. Which brings to mind questions of how he can escape the "rules" (cause and effect, for one. I mean, if he gets such a thrill out of "the uncertainty", "the excitement of not knowing", he would surely have to rid his universe of causality, no?) of our universe if he has to create his own universe within our universe, dig?

Gaining his free will by getting rid of causality? That would be a possibility I haven't thought of before.
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:30 pm

Al_Shut wrote:I meant that the "perhaps" doesn't sound like he is sure about his future but that he has been acting like he doesn't know the future for the most time because that's what he saw himself doing.

Well, know we've got to question just how all knowing he is. Having the ability to see the future doen't mean he can see everything, especially with the introduction of the tachyons that were unleashed when Veidt let loose the psychic Kraken on Manhattan (j/k, know it wasn't a "Kraken", I just liked the way that sounded). He had meant to come back to Earth much earlier than midnight, November 2nd.

What I think Moore was going with was that to a being as all-knowing as Manhattan a concept like time meaningless. He knows the future because "everything is preordained. Even my responses." He can't do anything about it, so why ponder it? That's why I take his departure to mean he's going to rid his universe of such dogmatic causality. The freedom of not knowing must be liberating to a being who can both see the time stream and yet is still a part of it.

Al_Shut wrote:Now I'm the one who doesn't get something. If he does know the future the line is not just general wisdom, then he knows that the assistant editor will find the journal and Veidts plan will fail.

hmmm.

Not necessarily. I mean, that's hardly a reputed journal, Veidt can buy the thing if he wanted to and squash the story. Also refutes the "all knowing" aspect of Manhattan in that why didn't he see this coming if it was so important.

Plus, do we know that they'll run the story? It could be taken that the line "I leave it entirely in your hands" means it's upto US, then, no? Meta's a tricky bitch in analysis.

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:

Al_Shut wrote:Gaining his free will by getting rid of causality? That would be a possibility I haven't thought of before.

yeah, I formulated that response in no small part due to Mike Carey's run on Lucifer. In short, Lucifer wanted his own universe free of "God's" rule of causality. Fascinating stuff.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Al Shut on Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:46 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:Well, know we've got to question just how all knowing he is. Having the ability to see the future doen't mean he can see everything, especially with the introduction of the tachyons that were unleashed when Veidt let loose the psychic Kraken on Manhattan (j/k, know it wasn't a "Kraken", I just liked the way that sounded). He had meant to come back to Earth much earlier than midnight, November 2nd.

Now that you mention it I don't think it's ever mentioned that he knows more than his own future. I should think about those things before posting questions.

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:That's why I take his departure to mean he's going to rid his universe of such dogmatic causality. The freedom of not knowing must be liberating to a being who can both see the time stream and yet is still a part of it.

That's why I came up with my question in the first place, the thought of him finding a galaxy on his own and creating life but still just following his knowledge of his future somehow bothered me. Plus if he gets rid of causality he would not only be not knowing like normal humans but also his future would not be predeterminated.

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:Not necessarily. I mean, that's hardly a reputed journal, Veidt can buy the thing if he wanted to and squash the story. Also refutes the "all knowing" aspect of Manhattan in that why didn't he see this coming if it was so important.

Plus, do we know that they'll run the story? It could be taken that the line "I leave it entirely in your hands" means it's upto US, then, no? Meta's a tricky bitch in analysis.

After reading the first paragraph I thought "But that would leave the last two pages irrelevant" but after the second I dont know anymore. I never read it as an open ending but more as a the destructoin of mankind is inevitable due to the human nature. I always thought that was wonderfully mean spirited. :twisted:
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Chilli on Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:08 am

How old is Frank Castle (aka The Punisher) meant to be in the normal Marvelverse?

Apparantly he was in the Vietnam War, which if the comics are to be trusted (and they are) would make him in his mid sixties now. But they show him to be as spry and bad-ass as ever, especially in dealing with mutants and being thrown off a fricking Skyscraper.
Bison: [to his architect] The temple above us was the wonder of the ancient world. Bisonopolis shall be the wonder of my world. But I think the food court should be larger. All the big franchises will want in.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby Adam Balm on Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:03 am

Chilli wrote:How old is Frank Castle (aka The Punisher) meant to be in the normal Marvelverse?

Apparantly he was in the Vietnam War, which if the comics are to be trusted (and they are) would make him in his mid sixties now. But they show him to be as spry and bad-ass as ever, especially in dealing with mutants and being thrown off a fricking Skyscraper.

Actually there's a really easy way to find out the age of any character in the Marvel Universe if you're interested and don't mind a little highschool math:

http://adambalm.savetheocean.net/marvel_constant_1.pdf

(And that just goes to show you Chilli, that there's more pathetic things to be in this world than a virgin...like someone who actually wastes his time coming up with stuff like this :oops:)
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Garbage Man on Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:30 pm

I... I think I love you.
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby Adam Balm on Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:31 pm

The Garbage Man wrote:

I... I think I love you.

So what am I so afraid of?
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Logan5 on Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:20 am

I have a question!

A couple of years back I read two issues of a comic book I can't seem to remember the name of. Why I want to know, I dunno, but it distracts me that I can't remember the name.

The story, at least in those two issues, centered around a bunch of WW2 soldiers, a really weird group of scots and americans and brits I think, and a mission to steal Hitler's left (or right) nut. They even had a song they sang called something like "The Führer's/Hitler's only got one nut".

Anything ring a bell?
Logan5
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:24 am

I can't help you much, but I CAN tell you that "Hitler has only got one ball" was a real song, sung by British squaddies and the like during WWII.

I've heard that the song it actually true: Hitler did only have one testicle. He had to have one removed a few years beforehand, I think.....
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Logan5 on Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:29 am

ThisIsTheGirl wrote:I can't help you much, but I CAN tell you that "Hitler has only got one ball" was a real song, sung by British squaddies and the like during WWII.

I've heard that the song it actually true: Hitler did only have one testicle. He had to have one removed a few years beforehand, I think.....

Heh, the brits were really funny during WWII. The german propaganda movies that the brits put new subtitles to are hilarious. (Watched them during film class.)

Thanks anyhow.

Seem to remember that the ball was in some way an artifact of great power in the comic book...
Logan5
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:29 am

Update:

I think it might have been Vertigo, Logan!

Wikipedia is your friend
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Logan5 on Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:33 am

ThisIsTheGirl wrote:Update:

I think it might have been Vertigo, Logan!

Wikipedia is your friend

Wikipedia wrote:A verse combining the first two lines of Variant 2 and the last two lines of Variant 1 appears in the 2000 Vertigo miniseries Adventures in the Rifle Brigade by Garth Ennis and Carlos Ezquerra. The follow-on miniseries, Operation Bollock, uses the missing testicle as a central plot device.

Yes, that's the one. Thanks, TITgirl.
Logan5
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby Adam Balm on Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:37 pm

I knew it sounded like Ennis.

I wish Colin was here, I know he'd have gotten it right away...
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:16 am

since Adam's taken, this is why I heart Pynchon...

Thomas Pynchon quoted the words in his novel V. by putting them in the mouths of British artillerymen on Malta.

a formula, a cheesy pop-song reference, and an Ennis gag?

long live teh Balm!
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:08 pm

Does anyone here read Elephantmen? I would like to jump into the on-going but I just found out that it is based on this "Hip Flask Universe".

Is an intimate knowledge of those past events required to enjoy the Elephantmen on-going? Or can I just jump right in?

Thanks.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Colin on Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:12 pm

Jump right in. The universe is still so new and it never looks back. The stories can be read in any order.
Colin
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Return to Comic Books