Fantastic Four

Graphic novels. Weekly rags. The @$$holes.

Re: Fantastic Four

Postby TheButcher on Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:16 am

burlivesleftnut wrote:Why did you make the text so gigantoid? In honor of Big Man Japan month in the Zone?

That's right.
Yeah, that's the ticket. :wink:
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Leckomaniac on Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:42 am

I could care less about Millar and Hitch at this point.

Bring on Hickman and Eaglesham!
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheButcher on Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:56 am

Leckomaniac wrote:Bring on Hickman and Eaglesham!

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby burlivesleftnut on Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:53 pm

God that's beautiful. Makes me wish I had honed my penciling skills when I was a lad.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Leckomaniac on Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:57 pm

I can barely contain my excitement.

An extremely talented writer with a unique voice paired with an extremely talented artist with stellar story telling capabilities writing the first family of comics.

There is no way Marvel is NOT getting my $3. If they try and bump it up to $4 I may throw a hissy fit and make a show of being "offended," but I'll ultimately part with the extra dollar. I haven't been this excited for a creative team in a long time.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:50 am

A Comics Bulletin Marvel Exclusive Preview:Fantastic Four #567
A Newsarama Marvel Preview: Fantastic Four #567
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

DALE EAGLESHAM's FF

Postby TheButcher on Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:12 am

From Newsarama:
State of the Art: DALE EAGLESHAM's FF Innovation

IGN has a new preview of Hickman and Eaglesham's FF!
"...THIS MORNING, BEFORE BREAKFAST, I KILLED A GALACTUS ON EARTH 2012."

http://comics.ign.com/articles/101/1012048p1.html
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Hickman On FF, Secret Warriors

Postby TheButcher on Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:33 pm

From IGN:
Hickman Explores the Fantastic
Jesse Schedeen wrote:Jonathan Hickman discusses his new gig on Fantastic Four and his continued plans for Secret Warriors.

September 3, 2009 - Jonathan Hickman is certainly living up to his promise as one of the top new creative voices at Marvel. Hickman has brought his own unique sensibilities to Secret Warriors, crafting a superhero series that is as much a dark spy story and packed with surprising twists. And with Dark Reign: Fantastic Four, Hickman inducted the team into Dark Reign by catapulting them through time, space, and alternate realities.

While Hickman has always made clear his plans to stick with Secret Warriors, he also has a long future with Marvel's First Family. Dark Reign: FF was merely an appetizer for Hickman's run on the main series. With only one issue on the stands, Hickman has already made his mark on the long-running franchise. When the Reed Richards of a dozen different realities unite to take down Galactus in the first issue, you know big things are brewing.

Immediately after reading Fantastic Four #570, we decided it was time to check in with Hickman again. We wanted to know just what he has planned for Reed Richards and friends. And what of the newly emboldened Doctor Doom? And for that matter, why is Reed so darned sexy these days? Hickman answered all of our questions, and shed new light on his Secret Warrior plans. Suffice it to say, the book is shaping up to be different than originally envisioned.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Fantastic Four #572

Postby TheButcher on Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:59 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Leckomaniac on Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:43 pm

The first two issues of the Hickman/Eaglesham run have been, pardon the word, FANTASTIC!

A perfect pairing of talent and characters. Let's hope it doesn't run afoul of the next Marvel crossover event!
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

The Old Kings of Atlantis

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:06 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:10 pm

That looks awesome!

I am very impressed with the Hickman run, thus far. It is everything that I had hoped it would be. I hope he continues to operate a bit "outside" of the Marvel event non-sense. If there is a SIEGE tie-in anytime soon I will be pissed.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheButcher on Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:26 am

Millar and Hitch's FF Omnibus is available for pre-order on Amazon.com!
Fantastic Four by Mark Millar & Bryan Hitch Omnibus (Hardcover) Collects Fantastic Four #554-569

The first arc of Eaglesham & Hickman's FF is available for pre-order too.
SOLVE EVERYTHING! (Hardcover) Collects Fantastic Four #570-574.

Leckomaniac wrote:That looks awesome!

I am very impressed with the Hickman run, thus far. It is everything that I had hoped it would be. I hope he continues to operate a bit "outside" of the Marvel event non-sense. If there is a SIEGE tie-in anytime soon I will be pissed.

Me too. I love the way Hickman writes Reed. I don't want to spoil anything, but the ending of SOLVE EVERYTHING! brought tears to my eyes. The art is beautiful! I can't wait to see what happens next.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:56 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:40 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:09 pm

TheButcher wrote:Universal Inhumans!

Looks awesome!

I have extremely high hopes for this arc!
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheButcher on Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:52 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:47 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Leckomaniac on Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:09 pm

Steve Epting? Oh yeah!

Hickman is delivering the goods. Big time.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheButcher on Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:34 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:10 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:Steve Epting? Oh yeah!

Hickman is delivering the goods. Big time.

CBR ADVANCE PREVIEW: "Fantastic Four" #583
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:01 pm

From IGN: The End of the Fantastic Four
Jonathan Hickman's epic saga is leading to unexpected places.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Jonathan Hickman’s Fantastic Four

Postby TheButcher on Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:27 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Jonathan Hickman’s Fantastic Four

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:33 pm

Yeah i was really taken aback by Busiek's comments. I think he was way off about Hickman.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Re: Fantastic Four: A Beginning

Postby TheButcher on Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:03 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:34 am

From Hero Complex:
Fantastic Four faces fatal subtraction — Marvel says only three will live
The Fantastic Four — superheroes whose creation nearly 50 years ago helped usher in the Silver Age of comics for Marvel— is about to become a trio.

Marvel Comics said Wednesday that a member of the foursome — Mr. Fantastic, Invisible Woman, Human Torch and the Thing — will die in issue No. 587 next month, a change that the company said will ripple across the Marvel Universe like never before. But who will die? That’s a secret protected with more might than the Incredible Hulk and Sentry possess, but executive editor Tom Brevoort, who oversees the comic book, says plenty of clues have been offered during the course of writer Jonathan Hickman’s run, including the current Three story line.

“I think we’ve given plenty of hints as to who may die — perhaps too many, in that every one of our lead characters is left in a dire, life-threatening situation the month before,” Brevoort told the Associated Press. “So, hopefully, that will help to heighten the suspense, while preserving the surprise as to which member doesn’t make it out alive.”

Marvel is taking no chances in trying to contain that secret like it were the wish-granting Cosmic Cube itself. Readers will find out for themselves when Fantastic Four No. 587 is released in January, though it’ll be wrapped in a black polybag designed to keep snoops from finding out and spilling the news. It won’t appear on newsstands either.

“The surprises in this issues — and what comes next — constitute one of the biggest events in Marvel history,” said David Gabriel, senior vice president for sales and circulation at Marvel.

But is death really the end and, more so, will it be permanent? After all, death has visited the Fantastic Four, which was created by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby and first appeared in 1961, before.

Sue Storm, the Invisible Woman, supposedly died, but that was just a ruse. Similarly, her husband, Reed Richards, a.k.a. Mr. Fantastic, was thought dead after being caught in a blast with his archenemy, Dr. Doom. Instead of death, however, Richards and his nemesis were snatched away to another dimension. This time, however, Marvel is adamant, noting that once the current story ends in No. 588, the Fantastic Four will cease to exist.

“We’ve been building to this story and this moment since Jonathan began writing the series around a year and a half ago,” Brevoort said. “It’s a story that will have a transformative effect on these characters — virtually nothing will be the same after the events of this story. And that was the reason to go this route — to bring about these seismic changes to the characters and to the series.”

Marvel editor-in-chief Joe Quesada said the story is part of a wider effort to not only keep readers entertained, but engaged.

“The beauty of the Marvel Universe is that it is in constant change. Things are always happening, very much like life itself,” he told AP. “For us, being stagnant just means that we’re not doing our job. At the end of the day, its about characters, soap opera, dramatic events and things that keep our readers coming back for that next installment.”
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Fantastic Four Annotations

Postby TheButcher on Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:50 am

From Comics Alliance:
Fantastic Four #570: Solving Everything [Annotations]
David Uzumeri wrote:Jonathan Hickman came on Fantastic Four in late 2009 and, quite frankly, blew the socks off of the book. Since then, Hickman and later collaborators like Dale Eaglesham, Neil Edwards and Steve Epting have been weaving an intricate, thematically layered story of fathers and sons, the costs of inaction, scientific responsibility and punching things in the face. In other words, it's a perfect choice for the annotation treatment. So welcome to a new ongoing joint here at ComicsAlliance: The annotations of Jonathan Hickman's superb run on Fantastic Four.

To follow along, I highly recommend grabbing the first trade of the run - there will be slight spoilers of later stories for the purpose of drawing connections, but we'll try not to ruin anything too dramatic. However, unlike with the Bat-mythos, I'm not anywhere near as familiar with the extended history of this franchise, so I've brought in Funnybook Babylon's inimitable Chris Eckert as a co-annotator for the historical perspective while I'll continue to try to deconstruct Hickman's narrative.

Annotations of Jonathan Hickman's 'Fantastic Four' #571-572
David Uzumeri wrote:Welcome back to our ongoing annotations of Jonathan Hickman's Fantastic Four run. This time around, we're taking a look at the second two parts of the opening "Solve Everything" arc, issues 571 and 572 with art by Dale Eaglesham, collected in this trade. Joining me again to provide historical background on a lot of this stuff is Chris Eckert from Funnybook Babylon. In these two issues, we'll see talking Celestials, lobotomized Dooms, the fall of the Council and learn that the cost of solving everything... is everything.
Last edited by TheButcher on Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:35 am

From Comics Alliance:
Anatomy of a Classic: 'Fantastic Four' #50
Chris Sims wrote:Forty-four years after it was originally published, Stan Lee and Jack Kirby's "Fantastic Four" #50 is justifiably regarded as a classic story and one of the building blocks of the Marvel universe. And until recently, it's also a comic I'd never read.

As much as I'm a huge Kirby fan, I've always been more interested in the books he did on his own in the '70s -- "OMAC" and "The New Gods" at DC, then his return to Marvel with "Devil Dinosaur," "Captain America" and "The Eternals" -- than his work with Lee building the Marvel Universe. Even so, working in a comic book store for six years and writing about comics every day for the past five and a half, I was pretty sure I'd picked up on the gist of it, because after all, you don't read Marvel comics for two decades without figuring out who Galactus and the Silver Surfer are.

When I finally did sit down and read through them, however, I realized that #50 wasn't just the story of Galactus coming to Earth and getting chased off when Reed Richards waved around the Ultimate Nullifier, it was a major turning point -- not just for the Fantastic Four, or even Marvel, but for comic book storytelling as a whole.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Fantastic Four #588

Postby TheButcher on Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:03 am

From Inside Pulse:
Fantastic Four #588 Promoted As Final Issue?
Grey Scherl wrote:Now, obviously FF is launching in a few months stemming out of the end of Fantastic Four’s current story arc “Three”, so we knew that there was a chance that Fantastic Four was coming to an end. I’m just surprised they’re doing it this close to #600, I mean, exactly 12 issues away…..wait a second…..

I’m going to throw out a wager and guess that FF #12 will be when the series reverts to Fantastic Four for #600.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:23 pm

From Newsarama:
Albert Ching wrote:***Haven’t had the ending of Fantastic Four #587 spoiled for you yet? It will be if you keep reading this article! Proceed with caution!***

***Another extra layer of spoiler space for errant clickers... Yep, some big things regarding Fantastic Four #587 are spoiled in this issue.***

***Final warning!***

Hickman Details FANTASTIC FOUR #587's Big Character Death
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby The Vicar on Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:54 pm

I know who snuffed it...na na na na hey nonnie boo......
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby minstrel on Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:59 pm

So what are they now? The Thrilling Three?
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby The Vicar on Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:33 pm

The Three Amigos?
The Vicar

Postby minstrel on Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:48 pm

The Vicar wrote:The Three Amigos?

Two And A Half Men? (okay, that was unworthy ... sorry, Sue)
minstrel

Postby papalazeru on Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:26 am

The Melancholy three.

Meh! They also said that even though Flameboy dies, there's still a chance he can come back.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby buster00 on Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:43 pm

Well, gee, let's see. We're twelve issues away from what would be FF #600, and the team's 50th anniversary.

Yeah, somehow I think there's a pretty decent chance *REDACTED* will be coming back from the dead.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby minstrel on Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:00 pm

buster00 wrote:Well, gee, let's see. We're twelve issues away from what would be FF #600, and the team's 50th anniversary.

Yeah, somehow I think there's a pretty decent chance *REDACTED* will be coming back from the dead.

Not a chance. REDACTED was a comic book character, and comic book characters never, ever come back to life. Ever. In the comic book universe, resurrection is utterly impossible. Yep, in comics, when you're dead, you stay dead forever, no two ways about it. You're just done. Nothing more than a memory. Bye bye.

(John Cleese voice: " 'E's a stiff! Bereft of life, 'e rests in peace! 'E's rung down the curtain and joined the bleedin' Choir Invisible! 'E fucking snuffed it! Vis a vis the metabolic processes, 'e's 'ad 'is lot! Any statements to the effect that REDACTED is still a going concern are from now on inoperative! This is an EX-COMIC-BOOK CHARACTER!")
minstrel

Postby Fievel on Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:05 pm

papalazeru wrote:The Melancholy three.

Meh! They also said that even though Flameboy dies, there's still a chance he can come back.

The Emo Three.
Thing will become a cutter.... except he'll have to use some sort of laser cutter to break through the rock.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:16 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby The Vicar on Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:10 am

Fievel wrote:Thing will become a cutter.... except he'll have to use some sort of laser cutter to break through the rock.

Naw, he'll get into the internet pr0n webcam thingy....
Ever wonder about Ben Grimm's chubby?
The mind reels.

OMG - on a lark I typed in Ben Grimm's penis in Google image search.

You don't want to know. You don't. You'll check it out, sick bastards.
But you'll be sorry. I know I was.
The Vicar

Postby minstrel on Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:42 am

The Vicar wrote:OMG - on a lark I typed in Ben Grimm's penis in Google image search.

I checked it out. I don't know if it's your age, Vic, though it probably isn't because I'm nearly as old as you are, but you have very low standards of "sorry".

:wink:
minstrel

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:41 pm

From CBR:
MARVEL'S TALK TO THE HAT: Fantastic Deaths & Kids Comics

Marvel SVP of Publishing Tom Brevoort kicks off his new CBR column TALK TO THE HAT with a look inside "Fantastic Four" #587's release, an exclusive preview of #588 and frank talk on comics for younger readers.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby The Garbage Man on Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:54 pm

minstrel wrote:
The Vicar wrote:OMG - on a lark I typed in Ben Grimm's penis in Google image search.

I checked it out. I don't know if it's your age, Vic, though it probably isn't because I'm nearly as old as you are, but you have very low standards of "sorry".

:wink:

I think it important to note, for any other poor soul thinking of doing this: dear god, stop at page 1. You will be relatively safe with nothing but "lol cartoon rock boner" and "thing banging invisible woman wtf?!" pictures.

DO NOT SCROLL DOWN TO THE SECOND SET OF IMAGES. GENITAL TRAUMA PHOTOS CANNOT BE UNSEEN.
VOMIT CANNOT BE UNVOMITED.
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby The Vicar on Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:24 pm

I did warn you. I wish I had warned myself.
The Vicar

Postby minstrel on Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:32 pm

I must have typed it wrong. I didn't see any genital trauma pics. I can therefore continue through my life in perfect innocence, vomit unvomited.
minstrel

Postby Leckomaniac on Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:51 pm

Well, speaking of the actual comic: I enjoyed it. I loved the moment and of course it is a fleeting death, but it was good enough sacrifice. Hickman is no hack.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Vicar on Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:13 pm

minstrel wrote:I must have typed it wrong. I didn't see any genital trauma pics. I can therefore continue through my life in perfect innocence, vomit unvomited.

Oh no you don't. I'm gonna PM it to you.
Who's your buddy? Who's your pal?
I am. Right?
The Vicar

Postby TheButcher on Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:25 am

From Comics Alliance Jan 25th 2011:
Jonathan Hickman Explains the Fantastic Four Death and What Comes Next
Laura Hudson wrote:A member of the Fantastic Four died today in Fantastic Four #587, the latest issue of the comic written by Jonathan Hickman with art by Steve Epting. As fans have been reacting to the news of the casualty all morning, ComicsAlliance editor-in-chief Laura Hudson had a chance to talk with Hickman about why this particular character ended up on the chopping block, his thoughts on the spoilers that hit the mainstream media this morning, and what the future may hold for the remaining characters -- and the issue that could have been #600. SPOILERS FOLLOW.

From Comics Alliance Aug 5th 2010:
Jonathan Hickman: The Renaissance Man of Marvel
Laura Hudson wrote:Since he first burst onto the scene with "The Nightly News," a visually inventive Image comic with an anarchist bent, a penchant for statistics, and an eye for graphic design, writer Jonathan Hickman has always seemed a little different. After working in both advertising and CD-ROM development, he bet everything on a dream of working comics and ultimately came up a winner, finding swift success not only in his indie work but in the mainstream big leagues at Marvel Comics. Hickman now sits at the helm of monthly titles like "Fantastic Four" and "Secret Warriors," not to mention the critically-acclaimed "S.H.I.E.L.D." miniseries. And for the obsessive detail-oriented among us, he's even run a delicate thread of connected narrative through it all.

With "S.H.I.E.L.D." #3 just hitting the stands, ComicsAlliance talked to Hickman at length about how he straddles the line between creator-owned work and work-for-hire, the daring experiments he plans to conduct with digital sales of his indie titles, his DC Comics reading list, and why no single idea for a comic is ever sacred if your imagination is big enough to hold more.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:26 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:02 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

PreviousNext

Return to Comic Books