Comic Book News & Previews

Graphic novels. Weekly rags. The @$$holes.

Comic Book News & Previews

Postby doglips on Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:51 pm

Seen a great news story or preview for a totally blistering unreleased comic book?

Give the rest of us Zoners a heads up on new titles that you think are going to be unmissable! Links and images please!

JACK KIRBY'S GALACTIC BOUNTY HUNTERS ( Marvel, July)

Meet the Berkleys, your typical suburban California family. But when young Garrett Berkley discovers his parents’ secret—that the science fiction stories his father writes aren’t fiction at all, but autobiography—he’s blasted into a whole new universe of adventure, mystery and danger. Now, Jack Berkley must put down his pen, reassemble his old team, and take up the mantle of being a Galactic Bounty Hunter for one final mission!

Great Cover to issue 1 -

Jack Kirby's Galactic Bounty Hunters features characters and concepts created by the late Jack Kirby, which have been expanded upon by his daughter Lisa Kirby and Mike Thibodeaux ( a one-time assistant to Jack Kirby). It's a very personal story for Lisa, metaphorically dealing with her relationship with her father against a cosmic backdrop of fantastic characters and wild vistas. It also features appearances by other Kirby-owned characters such as Captain Victory.

Sounds great!! I love the premise of the Sci-Fi stories being autobiographical - nice.

Shark Man ( Thrill House, Summer ) is one I have been watching for a while, the art looks sweet:

Looks like a fun read......

I'm also looking forward to Eternals - should be amazing.

What are the rest of you waiting patiently for?
Last edited by doglips on Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:17 pm

was Stealth Tribes ever released?

yeah Ointment Boy, I know he's ripping off both Stevenson and the Matrix, but the concept could've worked.

Plus, Colleen Doran is teh hotness!

Lost Girls and more League of Extraordinary Gentlemen have perked my interest. But anything with Alan gets me excited...
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:19 pm

ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby Flumm on Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:55 pm

Behold...

ELEPHANTMEN!!!

(animated trailer)

If you like that, I highly reccomend exploring the website a little, in all it's trashy, referential, pulpy, grimey neon hued camp, to me this thing just looks gloriously fun...

NOTE: Elephantmen is what is you're after, hopefully a regular title, where the art inparticular has improved apon, and Hipflask (Tales From Mystery City) is the sporadic series from which it spawned...
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:02 pm

Flumm wrote:Behold...

ELEPHANTMEN!!!

(animated trailer)

If you like that, I highly reccomend exploring the website a little, in all it's trashy, referential, pulpy, grimey neon hued camp, to me this thing just looks gloriously fun...

Wow! Neato! That trailer definately has me interested...
Thanks for the heads up, Flumm!
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby Pudie on Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:08 pm

Is there an animal that has yet to be made into a comic book charecter? Im seriously hoping theres a Meercat Man out there somewhere.
Pudie
MAN IN SUIT

Re: The I can't wait for this comic thread

Postby Iconoclastica on Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:46 am

thedoglippedone wrote:I'm also looking forward to Eternals - should be amazing.

I agree - I never read the original (has anyone here? I'm curious how it was) . . . but the premise sound fascinating . . . almost like what would happen if Neverwhere and The Fountain had a bastard love child, no?

I am Jack's broken heart
Iconoclastica
DEADLY ZONETTE

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:59 am

Grant Morrison & Gene Ha. The Authority. Coming in September / October, supposedly.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby athenabodicea on Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:02 am

(SURPRISE SURPRISE...LOL)
I just got Wonder Woman #1 June

I'm really looking forward to #2 in July

and then #3 in August

ImageImageImage
athenabodicea
GEEK GODDESS

Postby Chilli on Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:40 am

The Buffy S8 comics Whedon's working on. I'm getting into Buffy in a huge way with my unemployed ass being at home most the day and thus watching repeats, and it comes with the added bonus of no shit SMG performances.
Bison: [to his architect] The temple above us was the wonder of the ancient world. Bisonopolis shall be the wonder of my world. But I think the food court should be larger. All the big franchises will want in.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby Adam Balm on Fri Jun 16, 2006 4:38 am

The Story: THE SPY, THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA. In the late 1950’s, The U.S. Government let FBI Special Agent Jimmy Woo forge a team of unlikely heroes: Together they stormed the fortress of a criminal mastermind to rescue President Eisenhower, and the group disbanded soon after. Now almost 50 years later, an unauthorized S.H.I.E.L.D. mission goes down in flames--and from the ashes arise forces from the GOLDEN AGE OF MARVEL!

"Filmmaker Ray Harryhausen has joined forces with BlueWater Productions on a series of new comic-book ventures under the "Ray Harryhausen Presents" banner.

BlueWater will produce six titles with Harryhausen, advancing the adventures of the characters the filmmaker brought to life in his classic sci-fi and fantasy franchises. Slated for release later this year are Wrath of the Titans, Sinbad's Voyage to Mars and 20 Million Miles From Earth."
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:35 am

These Ray Harryhausen titles sound great, any idea who's doing the art Adam?
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Adam Balm on Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:22 pm

To be announced, I suppose...
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:17 pm

Iconoclastica wrote:

I agree - I never read the original (has anyone here? I'm curious how it was) . . . but the premise sound fascinating . . . almost like what would happen if Neverwhere and The Fountain had a bastard love child, no?

Not very good, if memory serves. Toward the end of his life, Kirby's comics had decent ideas but really poor execution. This wasn't anywhere near as bad as work like Captain Victory and His Galactic Rangers, but it wasn't good. The premise was not unlike The Inhumans taken to a cosmic level, with the concept and characters developing and being folded into the Marvel Universe more and more through the late '90s. It looks as if the new book is stepping back to the point at which Kirby's book began, with Ike Harris learning about his heritage.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby DennisMM on Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:17 pm

Adam Balm wrote:To be announced, I suppose...

Damned fine artist and an excellent television program as well.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM

Postby Adam Balm on Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:30 pm

DennisMM wrote:
Iconoclastica wrote:

Not very good, if memory serves. Toward the end of his life, Kirby's comics had decent ideas but really poor execution.

Am I the only one who liked his 2001: A Space Odyssey series?
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:31 pm

It had its moments, yeah. Some of his better work during his return to Marvel. Certainly better than Devil Dinosaur.
DennisMM

Postby Iconoclastica on Sat Jun 17, 2006 1:47 am

DennisMM wrote:
Iconoclastica wrote:

Not very good, if memory serves. Toward the end of his life, Kirby's comics had decent ideas but really poor execution. This wasn't anywhere near as bad as work like Captain Victory and His Galactic Rangers, but it wasn't good. The premise was not unlike The Inhumans taken to a cosmic level, with the concept and characters developing and being folded into the Marvel Universe more and more through the late '90s. It looks as if the new book is stepping back to the point at which Kirby's book began, with Ike Harris learning about his heritage.

Thanks for the insight, Dennis, as per usual :-) . . . I think I'm really going to get into this run, though . . . hopefully it will be a vast improvement on the original (as you said, and as you most likely implied . . . but I'm a little drunk right now, so I'm not 100% sure . . . since it was poor execution, perhaps a different helmer can give the series concept the life it deserved?) . . . I see scrubs in the preview - is he a doctor?! If so, I'm fucked . . . I might lose grip with reality and start imagining myself in his shoes . . .

I am Jack's broken heart
Iconoclastica
DEADLY ZONETTE

Postby Evil Hobbit on Sat Jun 17, 2006 5:36 am

whoa! elephantman looks so cooool.
Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

Postby Adam Balm on Sat Jun 17, 2006 11:31 pm

Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Kilgore on Sat Jun 17, 2006 11:40 pm

What happened to your 'Franklin Richards, Boy Genius' post, Balm?
Kilgore
AIRWOLF

Postby Adam Balm on Sat Jun 17, 2006 11:42 pm

Still there man, just different thread:

http://zone.aintitcool.com/viewtopic.php?p=221011#221011
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Kilgore on Sat Jun 17, 2006 11:47 pm

Adam Balm wrote:Still there man, just different thread:

http://zone.aintitcool.com/viewtopic.php?p=221011#221011

By the way, I may be considered 'slow'.
Kilgore
AIRWOLF

Postby Adam Balm on Sat Jun 17, 2006 11:52 pm

Hahah. Nah dude, it's alright. I just think it's cool someone remembered it.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Kilgore on Sun Jun 18, 2006 12:00 am

Adam Balm wrote:Hahah. Nah dude, it's alright. I just think it's cool someone remembered it.

It's a good-looking book, we should remember it...Christ, I have come to hate the Fantastic Four (other than their Planetary aliases), and don't get me started on how much I hated 'Ultimate FF' and it's compatriot 'Marvel Knights '4'', and I've never liked Franklin Richards as a character, but your one post makes me want to reconsider, because that looks like some fun.
Kilgore
AIRWOLF

Postby Al Shut on Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:59 am

I know that probably no one cares because it is in German but I'm dying to get my hands on this:

It's the third part in the completly hilarious "Adolf, die Nazisau" series Image and should have been released last year, but was postponed.

Now it seems like I finaly have a chance to buy this next month and I'm already wetting myself in excitement.
Last edited by Al Shut on Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sun Jun 18, 2006 5:26 am

Al_Shut wrote:I know that probably no one cares because it is in German but I'm dying to get my hands on this:

It's the third part in the completly hilarious "Adolf, die Nazisau" series Image and should have been released last year, but was postponed.

Now it seems like I finaly have a chance to buy this next month and I'm aslready wetting myself in excitement.

that's too intriguing not to ask...

just what the hell is that about? "Completely hilarious" Hitler, fuck yeah, Hitler's funny. Mr. Show had a rule where they could only use Hitler twice per season, the concept of Hitler was so rife for comic fodder and all...anyway, care to give a little background or bio or linkage about said comic? "Der Bonker" is, I reckon, The Bunker, but there's a peace sign amongst other graffitos tattooed on the sucker, and that drawing of Adolf the Nazisau is all sortsa funny...
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Al Shut on Sun Jun 18, 2006 6:06 am

It's kind of hard to sum up what it is about but I will try.

The first comic had Hitler resurface after living in the sewers for 50 years and thinking about his mistakes ("I should have attackes Russia over the flank."). He than stumbles rather planless from one crazy incident to another unintentionally causing chaos and havoc, oftentimes not beeing the target of the jokes but making the situations just more lunatic because he's in it.

Spoiler warning
It turns out that all incidents, like causing Princess Diana's accident, killing his tamagotchi, getting kidnapped by alien sociology students are all part of an giant conspiracy to cause World War III which leaves Adolf with the ultimate choice "On the one hand a new World War a new chance. On the other hand I have already done a World War it's not a challenge anymore."
End Spoiler

The second one is more of the same, just more insaner because he has a time travel helmet.

The third one promises, obviouly inspired by last years movie "The Downfall", to tell the true story of what happend in the Führerbunker. This includes the roles of Ghandi, Prince, Winston Churchill, the pope, Robert de Niro and a bottle of Chantre.

I have no idea how this will turn out.
Last edited by Al Shut on Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:04 pm

HA!

Sounds great.

Thanks for the intel.

Too bad I only know a little german...
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:09 pm

would that be hans, or franz?

I apologise unreservedly for the pain induced by that pun, but if you set them up, I'm gonna knock them down

Adolf de bonker sounds like a very amusing case of schaudenfreuden opn a national scale - I'd love to read it
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Seppuku on Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:17 pm

Wow, that's quite a summary. And it looks like it'll single-handedly wrestle the "as if a German can make with the funny" schiss-kopfs to the ground and make them take back their evil slander.

But just because you've now learnt how to make fun of yourselves, doesn't mean the British are suddenly going to start talking in funny stuffy accents and do skits featuring posh dudes walking like they've got sticks rammed up their arses................*cough Python cough*.........
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:23 pm

Al_Shut wrote:Hitler resurfaces, causing Havoc...

can't say I'm surprised...
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Adam Balm on Sun Jun 18, 2006 5:07 pm

Did anybody ever read Morrison's The New Adventures of Hitler? This kind of reminds me of that...
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:23 pm

Good interview with Mike Carey, the return of Wetworks sounds pretty cool.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Iconoclastica on Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Just picked up Eternals (and a few other titles, and FINALLY the first two Civil Wars . . . holy shit it's been kililng me not to look in the thread!!!) . . . :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D . . . I'll be back later (if I'm still conscious enough) to go spam happy all over the comic books forum like that studly hawaiian dude from 50 First Dates does all over his eggs . . .

what???? :? :shock: :wink:

I am Jack's broken heart
Iconoclastica
DEADLY ZONETTE

Postby buster00 on Mon Jun 26, 2006 4:02 pm

Whaddya youse guys think about this one?

Kurt Busiek and Roger Stern co-writing, art by James Fry...on...wait for it....

Darkman Vs. Army of Darkness.

Unlike that Leprechaun Vs. Wishmaster fake-up, this here's the real deal. I think it has potential. Starts in August.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:34 pm

thedoglippedone wrote:Good interview with Mike Carey, the return of Wetworks sounds pretty cool.

thanks!

second on the "Wetworks" love, anyone read the original run?

I've made my man love for Carey known far and wide, glad to see he's got a bunch of new material and projects in the pipe.

Sad to see Lucifer go, but I like the symmetry of ending it at #75, same The Sandman.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:38 pm

I was unaware of and did not read the original run of Wetworks, did you KC?

Buster, I love Darkman and the comic sounds cool, This is a great cover!

doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:19 pm

I read the book about a year ago and I'm really curious to see how they pull off the movie, but in the meantime A Princess of Mars gets its own comic book. Mars, naked chicks, and three variant covers by Frank Cho? I am so there.

EDIT: Crap, it was cancelled.
Last edited by Tyrone_Shoelaces on Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Al Shut on Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:51 pm

:shock: I have been misled and tricked to post wrong infromation in this thread. It turns out that Adolf: Der Bonker isn't a comic at all.

Apart from a short prolog it's a illustrated play (a tragicomedy in three acts). Although some of the illustrations have word ballons most of the dialogue looks like this

Adolf: "Änd? Waht are your räcords making?"

Michael Jackson: "Well, not so good anymore ... This childmolesting-trial didn't really help ..."

Still hillarious but with an abrupt and somewhat unsatisfiyng end. Overall worth the buy but not the excitement waiting for it.
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Adam Balm on Sat Jul 08, 2006 4:01 am

GHOST IN THE SHELL 1.5: HUMAN-ERROR PROCESSOR #1
Written and art by Shirow Masamune.

Ghost in the Shell 1.5: Human-Error Processor presents for the first time in America the "lost" Ghost in the Shell stories, created by Shirow Masamune after completing work on the original Ghost in the Shell manga and prior to his tour-de-force, Ghost in the Shell 2: Man-Machine Interface, but never collected until now. Focusing on Section 9 agents in their daily battle against technocrime, Human-Error Processor has all the mind-twisting cybermadness you've come to expect from Ghost in the Shell but set in a more police-procedural context with action and suspense galore.

This first issue features part one of "studly Cat," the first of four Ghost in the Shell tales.

24 pages, black and white, $2.99, in stores on Oct. 18.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby mister six on Sat Jul 08, 2006 4:19 am

This looks like it's going to be a good un:

Sample here:
http://www.onipress.com/thebigwet/downloads/issue1sample.php

I got a little put off by the description (very Waterworld) but reading the sample changed my mind. The opening is very reminicent of the film Hardware, which I love!, and I like the artwork style...the flow of the story works well for me too. I'll probably end up waiting for the TPB as usual though...
mister six
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby doglips on Sat Jul 08, 2006 4:38 am

Thanks for the link Mr6!

Warren Ellis has been saying how good Wasteland is on his Bad Signal, that's good enough for me.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby sleepflower on Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:04 am

I never read comics, though after browsing this thread, I may give in to one or two. Need to find a good comic book shop too I guess. Where do people buy them in London?

Anyway, would love to see a Wizard of Oz or Alice in wonderland comic.
The Noblest Pleasure is The Joy of Understanding
sleepflower
AIRWOLF

Postby mister six on Sat Jul 08, 2006 7:08 am

sleepflower wrote:I never read comics, though after browsing this thread, I may give in to one or two. Need to find a good comic book shop too I guess. Where do people buy them in London?

You should enjoy them - as long as you pick up the good stuff!

The best shops in London are:

GOSH! in Great Russell Street and Mega City Comics in Camden. Not sure of any Alice comics (probably one of American McGee's Alice) but google will help I'm sure...
:wink:
mister six
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby sleepflower on Sat Jul 08, 2006 7:15 am

Chers, will head out there when I'm next shopping.
The Noblest Pleasure is The Joy of Understanding
sleepflower
AIRWOLF

Postby buster00 on Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:59 pm

sleepflower wrote:Anyway, would love to see a Wizard of Oz or Alice in wonderland comic.

Maybe you've read the novel The Looking Glass Wars by Frank Beddor?

Well, there was a Hatter M mini-series spun off from it. I haven't been keeping up with it (if it's even still going), but that's one off the top of my head.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:08 pm

sleepflower wrote:I never read comics, though after browsing this thread, I may give in to one or two. Need to find a good comic book shop too I guess. Where do people buy them in London?

Let's not forget the remarkable Forbidden Planet stores. Not what they once were, but classics.
DennisMM

Postby mister six on Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:52 pm

DennisMM wrote:Let's not forget the remarkable Forbidden Planet stores. Not what they once were, but classics.

I suppose...Borders has a better range of TPB's than the Cambridge one though...pfft...
mister six
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby DennisMM on Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:59 pm

Yeah, well. The London store was a legend, but times change.
DennisMM

Next

Return to Comic Books