Comic Book News & Previews

Graphic novels. Weekly rags. The @$$holes.

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:29 pm

Some sad news folks:

The Boys has been Cancelled!

Issue #6, which is already out, will be its last. Issues #7-10 as well as the trade, which were all solicited, will not ship.

Apparently, DC has reverted the rights to Ennis and Robertson who are now looking for a new publisher for the title.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:47 pm

I'm sure it will get another home. I read a couple of issues a friend lent me and it did strike me as a little too upfront for Wildstorm ( as that article makes out it was )

The book seems a lot more adult in content than the initial premise that was put forward, maybe that's got something to do with it.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby buster00 on Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:54 pm

Man, I haven't even had a chance to check it out yet. It sounds like a pretty decent read.

Hope they get it ironed out, particularly the TPB.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:27 am

Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:52 am

burlivesleftnut wrote:Yeah Big D, character growth in comics sucks.

WHAHHHHH!

Growth doesn't suck. Unmotivated warping sucks.
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:39 pm

Some super cool DC promotional art below:

"Let the battle cry be heard in the land, a shout of great destruction..."

Check NEWSARAMA for more.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby buster00 on Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:47 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:Some super cool DC promotional art below:

"Let the battle cry be heard in the land, a shout of great destruction..."

Check NEWSARAMA for more.

ALL RIGHT! Justice League Vs. Planet of the Apes! I'm so there.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:14 pm

buster00 wrote:ALL RIGHT! Justice League Vs. Planet of the Apes! I'm so there.

Starring Troy McClure as Superman!
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby buster00 on Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:15 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
buster00 wrote:ALL RIGHT! Justice League Vs. Planet of the Apes! I'm so there.

Starring Troy McClure as Superman!

Now I REALLY can't wait!!

"He can fly! He can fly! He can fly!"
"I CAN SIIIIIIIINNNNG!"
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:19 pm

with Bobo T. Chimpanzee & Gorilla Grodd!
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby buster00 on Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:24 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:

Superman's just looking for his contact lens. At least that's what he told Wonder Woman.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chairman Kaga on Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:58 pm

Is Batman a Muslim?
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:00 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:Is Batman a Muslim?

That is Batman from an Elseworld tale. The Multiverse is back...which is why there are KC characters in there and characters from other earths.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chairman Kaga on Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:13 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:

That is Batman from an Elseworld tale. The Multiverse is back...which is why there are KC characters in there and characters from other earths.

Oy! :roll: This roll eyes emoticon can't roll eyes hard enough for my response to bringing back the "multiverse"...
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Coldfire24 on Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:24 pm

Hmmm sounds like "Sliders" set in the DC comic world.
Coldfire24
AIRWOLF

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:15 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:Some sad news folks:

The Boys has been Cancelled!

Issue #6, which is already out, will be its last. Issues #7-10 as well as the trade, which were all solicited, will not ship.

Apparently, DC has reverted the rights to Ennis and Robertson who are now looking for a new publisher for the title.

Initially it sounds like a dodgy situation for such an excellent, and good selling, comic. But a switch to a published more comfortable with the content may be worthwhile.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby buster00 on Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:11 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:Oy! :roll: This roll eyes emoticon can't roll eyes hard enough for my response to bringing back the "multiverse"...

Maybe that's what Superman's bawlin' about.

Again.

I can't find it, but isn't there a Superdickery-type site with a gallery of covers in which Superman is weeping like a little girl?

Every time ya turn around, the big blue wuss is crying about something. Suck it up, Sally.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pacino86845 on Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:37 pm

buster00 wrote: I can't find it, but isn't there a Superdickery-type site with a gallery of covers in which Superman is weeping like a little girl?

Well it's either that or he's smacking Lois Lane around with his Superbelt.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby DennisMM on Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:17 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:
Leckomaniac wrote:

Oy! :roll: This roll eyes emoticon can't roll eyes hard enough for my response to bringing back the "multiverse"...

:evil:

The DC multiverse was a hell of a lot more interesting than the DC Universe.
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby Leckomaniac on Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:02 pm

Rumor is that it looks like DC is going to continue with a weekly title for the next year.

Here is the story from LITG:

Expect official confirmation and plenty of news on that previously LITG-rumoured 52 weekly sequel "Countdown," the DC Universe book being "showrun" by Paul Dini, in about a month.

One little titbit I've discovered is that, befitting the title, the issue numbering system will start at #51 (shipping the week after "52" #52) and, week by week, count down to #0. Instantly grabbing the considerable audience from "52" and getting them to commit for another year - albeit one that runs alongside current DC continuity.

Another titbit is that newly-DC-exclusive Sean McKeever will be one of the writers on the title.

I love the idea of a weekly title running alongside current events in the DCU. With Paul Dini running the show and Sean McKeever writing!!!!!!! Color me excited. I love the direction and ambition of the current DCU. Now with the multiverse coming back...oh man. Bring it on.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:46 pm

Sigh.

Geoff Johns To Leave Teen Titans.

This is a sad day for me. I love what Johns has done with the TT. His replacement (the dude currently writing Robin) is unfamiliar to me. I will give him a shot for a few issues...but he has some huge shoes to fill.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:19 pm

Well Robin (to me) is TERRIBLE, so this is bumming news.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:31 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:Well Robin (to me) is TERRIBLE, so this is bumming news.

Its seems to me that the feelings about Robin are terrible to lukewarm. I don't doubt that he could pull it off. Maybe Robin just wasn't his thing. But TT is one of my favorite books. So I have high hopes. An average TT book is not what I want.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chairman Kaga on Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:39 am

DennisMM wrote:
Chairman Kaga wrote:
Leckomaniac wrote:

:evil:

The DC multiverse was a hell of a lot more interesting than the DC Universe.

It's yet another example of non permanence in DC books.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:44 am

Chairman Kaga wrote:another example of non permanence in DC books.

Considering Marvel just brought back a character dead for 25 years...and whose only defining moment as a character WAS his death...and made him a warden...

I'd say both Marvel and DC are guilty of a lack of permanence. At least most deaths in DC stick. When I say most...I mean Barry Allen.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chairman Kaga on Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:49 am

Leckomaniac wrote:

Considering Marvel just brought back a character dead for 25 years...and whose only defining moment as a character WAS his death...and made him a warden...

I'd say both Marvel and DC are guilty of a lack of permanence. At least most deaths in DC stick. When I say most...I mean Barry Allen.

I originally typed it to include Marvel but decided not to mention them since we were talking about DC but I hate it about both companies.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:54 am

Chairman Kaga wrote:
Leckomaniac wrote:

I originally typed it to include Marvel but decided not to mention them since we were talking about DC but I hate it about both companies.

I understand. I mean its one of those things that tends to be a necessity...but it irks me nevertheless. At a certain point you just run out of stories to tell. I mean some characters are running on 60+ years. They need to keep sales up so killing major characters can only be temporary since establishing new characters is just so damn hard. The best we can hope for is that the company tries their best to...you know...not make us feel like we got jerked around even though we did.

At the moment, however, the surge of independent comics has provided some great alternatives. Invincible...well basically anything from Image.

Of the two companies...I prefer DC. I used to be all about Marvel and then I kind of reached a balance between the two. As it stands...reading Marvel just leaves me with the feeling that I just got screwed with my pants on.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chairman Kaga on Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:22 am

zactly. I stick to shorter books.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:38 am

The Boys are back.....
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby buster00 on Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:47 am

thedoglippedone wrote:The Boys are back.....

Cool! Hopefully we get the TPB soon.

Then again, I suppose I could drop the same money on the back issues...but it's a convenience thing.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:50 am

It'll read better as a TPB hit. I've read a few issues and I'm waiting for the trade too.

The second Testament trade is pretty good, expands on the core characters and starts to weave a big backstory across the era's. Not bad at all, if you really did not enjoy the first one, give it a miss - it's pretty similar, but if you enjoyed the read, I'd give it a go. I reckon this series will get a lot better as it moves along.......
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Leckomaniac on Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:34 am

Check out a pretty cool interview with Gerard Way (lead singer of MCR) about his new Dark Horse comic The Umbrella Academy. Sounds like a cool book. Love Ba's art.

The interview is right here

Gerard interned at DC for a few years and even designed some of their toys. He has plenty of geek cred and this should be quite a project. I just hope it comes out on a fairly regular schedule.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:16 pm

At the NYCC it was announced that Brian Bendis and Alex Maleev will be the creative team behind the new Halo on-going series at Marvel.

That is quite a powerhouse of a creative team. What do you folks think? Would you buy a Halo on-going?
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Silent Shout on Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:05 am

Leckomaniac wrote:At the NYCC it was announced that Brian Bendis and Alex Maleev will be the creative team behind the new Halo on-going series at Marvel.

That is quite a powerhouse of a creative team. What do you folks think? Would you buy a Halo on-going?

Believe it or not, the Halo Graphic Novel that came out last year was the first "comic" I had purchased since I was about 12. As its sales were more than Marvel had projected at the time, it was difficult to find for a month or two. Continually going to the graphic novel/TPB section to look for it got me looking around at other comics. I ended up finally getting the Halo Graphic Novel, then getting the Frank Miller Batman books and the first Walking Dead and it all started from there.

In retrospect, the Halo Graphic Novel really wasn't that great. The Japanese story on Sarge escaping from the Library was probably my favorite, and it had no text in it and was an area directly from the game. The other stories were ok, but that's about all I can say about them. The section of art in the back was quite cool and well done though.

With that in mind, I am definitely interested in hearing what kind of plot line and story the series will have. Since none of the stories in the graphic novel were related to Master Chief, I think they were a little boring and unfortunately weakly thought out. While I'm sure they can come up with something interesting directly inside of the Halo universe, they REALLY need to have Master Chief or at least some Spartan as a regular character. I'm not sure what they could do with Master Chief, as they've unfortunately already painted his entire history with the first Halo "book" (which really wasn't very good and seemed to ruin my perception of him more than anything, it also seemed to not really fit with the games).

I assume it will be based during the "early" part of the war between the Covenant and the Humans, as that bit is far more interesting than the present story created by Halo 2 (Brutes vs. Elites civil war/Master Chief and Arbiter playing with a giant Flood God crap). I also assume it will feature something to do with the Forerunner technology (Halo's, etc) which will bring the Flood into it at some time. It could end up being really interesting, but it could end up being boring and mediocre like the graphic novel and books have been as well. As you said, the creative team is quite impressive, so I'll remain positive and look forward to seeing what happens. This runs the potential of getting a lot of people who don't buy comics to start buying this series, as happened with the graphic novel. I almost wonder if they'll just go straight to graphic novels instead of doing "real" comic issues.
I just want your music tonight
Silent Shout
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:58 am

Interesting story SS. Glad to hear you have ventured back into the wide world of comics.

I am not all that big on Bendis right now, but Maleev always holds my interest. I will wait to see before I pick this up.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:16 am

I have no interest, meself, because I never got into the video game. But it was fun driving my friends crazy when I played Halo 2 with them. On some early level you were outside a ship, and I just kept jumping off into space. That seemed more fun than shooting things. I shoot enough things in real life that I just don't feel like doing it more when I get home.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Leckomaniac on Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:05 am

Some news from WonderCon's DC panel:

-Green Arrow will end with issue #75. The last panel will show Green Arrow proposing to Black Canary. (if you remember Rich Johnston over at LITG broke this story a while back).

-All Star Batman & Robin 5 + 6 are done and are being solicited.

-Apparently the "Superboy" name is in legal limbo at this point due to the Siegel family attempting to get the rights back. So don't expect any Superboy stories for some time to come.

Check out newsarama's coverage here
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:23 am

WARNING MAJOR, MAJOR SPOILERS!!!!!!!

Looks like Captain America #25 made the mainstream news.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:07 am

Some previews for DC titles to be released this week right here.

Looks like thought bubbles have resurfaced in The Brave and the Bold #2 as well.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Sat Mar 31, 2007 5:40 pm

A 3 page preview of All-Star Superman #7 can be seen right HERE!
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:33 pm

Damn, Quitely just gets better and better, can't wait for this.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Leckomaniac on Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:36 pm

thedoglippedone wrote:Damn, Quitely just gets better and better, can't wait for this.

Well you won't have to wait long! Only a few more days! I love that this is still on a somewhat regular schedule.

EDIT: BTW where the heck have you been man? The comics forum has been just me and burl lately.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:38 pm

yeah, they have got it together finally. Now if only All Star Batman & Robin were to follow suit. What are we on now? Still issue 4?
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Leckomaniac on Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:41 pm

thedoglippedone wrote:yeah, they have got it together finally. Now if only All Star Batman & Robin were to follow suit. What are we on now? Still issue 4?

This is true. Issue 5 comes out sometime in May I believe. And Dan Didio has said that the series is "back on track". So we shall see.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:45 pm

My computer broke and the Apple took 6 weeks to fix it. Sheesh.

Been reading a few trades,Stuart Moore's Para is worth a look, great art and an excellent sci-fi storyline based in a secret government particle accelerator that goes nuclear - critical.

The Surrogates by Vendetti & Weldele more good sci-fi, cop based this time, amazing art and the first 2 thirds move at a great pace, the end could have been fleshed out a little more, but a good read anyway.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Leckomaniac on Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:47 pm

thedoglippedone wrote:My computer broke and the Apple took 6 weeks to fix it. Sheesh.

Been reading a few trades,Stuart Moore's Para is worth a look, great art and an excellent sci-fi storyline based in a secret government particle accelerator that goes nuclear - critical.

The Surrogates by Vendetti & Weldele more good sci-fi, cop based this time, amazing art and the first 2 thirds move at a great pace, the end could have been fleshed out a little more, but a good read anyway.

6 weeks!?!?! Wow.

Well its good to have you back around these parts. I have heard good things about The Surrogates. I might have to check that shit out.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:52 pm

The first images of Immonen's ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN have arrived. Check em out right here.

Good stuff. There is a darker outline to the art, especially in the face, but it should be Bagley enough for people.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:01 pm

That's going to be one good looking book.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:06 pm

Oh man, so nice. Thanks for that. Between this and my huge tax refund, I might as well just DIE>
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby buster00 on Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:14 pm

Fine lookin' stuff.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

PreviousNext

Return to Comic Books