Comic Book News & Previews

Graphic novels. Weekly rags. The @$$holes.

Postby The Garbage Man on Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:40 pm

Purdy.

Also:
Ultimate The Spot?!
The Ultimate Spot?!

Either way, there be spottiness about.
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby Leckomaniac on Mon May 14, 2007 8:30 pm

EXCELLENT NEWS!

Sean McKeever will be writing Teen Titans! Oh my I can't even describe how happy that makes me.

Sean McKeever is writing Countdown, Birds of Prey, and Teen Titans? DC is really gettin good mileage out of him and I couldn't be happier.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed May 16, 2007 3:40 am

Even MORE excellent news.

The O'Neil Question run FINALLY to be released as a trade?

It looks like it!
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Fri May 18, 2007 6:48 am

Check out this crazyness.

Could be interesting, no?
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Fri May 18, 2007 6:58 am

Could be, it almost seems too crazy - depends on what subtexts they weave into it.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Leckomaniac on Fri May 18, 2007 7:01 am

thedoglippedone wrote:Could be, it almost seems too crazy - depends on what subtexts they weave into it.

Yeah...it looks like its trying to be ATHF in comic book form. Random humor. If that is the case then I probably won't bother. But a more subversive whacy would be pretty cool, but I doubt that is the direction that it is headed. Of course I have no basis for that...just the few preview pages I read.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Mon May 21, 2007 5:26 pm

Click here for DC's August Previews.

Some new on-goings/mini's/one-shots to note:

-All-New Booster Gold #1

-Black Adam: The Dark Age

-52 Aftermath: 4 Horseman

-Outsiders: Five of a Kind

-Metal Men #1

-The Un-Men #1
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Mon May 21, 2007 5:43 pm

Some news from CBR's Lying In The Gutters:

-First, COUNTDOWN is apparently counting down to something called the "Final Crisis". How original.

-The Teen Titans may recieve another book. The current roster, TEEN TITANS, and another book "New Titans" modelled after the 80s group.

-A SWEET cover to the new project from the man who brought us PHONOGRAM

Click on the link for some more info.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Mon May 21, 2007 7:54 pm

Thanks for the link, Lecko. Great interview with the Phonogram boys, so glad they have another run coming, sounds as inventive as the first. Suburban Glamour will be beautiful to look at, I hope the written content from Mckelvie is as good.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Leckomaniac on Mon May 21, 2007 7:58 pm

thedoglippedone wrote:Thanks for the link, Lecko. Great interview with the Phonogram boys, so glad they have another run coming, sounds as inventive as the first. Suburban Glamour will be beautiful to look at, I hope the written content from Mckelvie is as good.

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that cover for Suburban Glamour. I may make it my new avatar. :lol:
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:53 am

The 2007 Harvey Award Nominees have been announced. Of note:

BEST WRITER

Ed Brubaker | DAREDEVIL | Marvel Comics
Grant Morrison | ALL-STAR SUPERMAN | DC Comics
Steve Murphy | UMBRA | Image Comics
Don Rosa | UNCLE SCROOGE | Gemstone Publishing
William Van Horn | WALT DISNEY COMICS & STORIES | Gemstone Publishing
Brian K. Vaughn | Y: THE LAST MAN | DC/Vertigo

BEST ARTIST

Brian Fies | MOM’S CANCER | Abrams
Renee French | THE TICKING | Top Shelf
Stuart Immonen | NEXTWAVE: AGENTS OF HATE | Marvel Comics
Frank Quitely | ALL-STAR SUPERMAN | DC Comics
William Van Horn | WALT DISNEY COMICS & STORIES | Gemstone Publishing

BEST COVER ARTIST

John Cassaday | ASTONISHING X-MEN | Marvel Comics
James Jean | FABLES | DC/Vertigo
J.G. Jones | 52 | DC Comics
Marc Silvestri | HUNTER-KILLER | Top Cow / Image

BEST NEW SERIES

CIVIL WAR | Marvel Comics
52 | DC Comics
NECROMANCER | Top Cow / Image
THE SPIRIT | DC Comics
WASTELAND | Oni Press

BEST CONTINUING OR LIMITED SERIES

DAREDEVIL | Marvel Comics
LOCAL | Oni Press
THE SPIRIT | DC Comics
UMBRA | Image Comics
WALT DISNEY COMICS & STORIES | Gemstone Publishing

The complete list can be found here
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Evil Hobbit on Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:42 am

Don Rosa is the King and I also hope Pride of Baghdad sweeps some awards.
Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

Postby Leckomaniac on Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:46 am

Uncle Scrooge must be amazing. It is nominated for best writer, artist, and cover artist. That is pretty impressive.

LOCAL better win BEST CONTINUING OR LIMITED SERIES. If it doesn't I will be pissed.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Evil Hobbit on Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:16 am

Uncle Scrooge is indeed great stuff. The Life and Time of Scrooge McDuck is among the best I've read. I still wonder why Disney doesn't adept that story for the screen. The story is suited for a great hand drawn animated film.
Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

Postby DennisMM on Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:27 pm

Don Rosa and William Van Horn are incredible. Best Duck stuff since prime Barks, better I think.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby doglips on Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:02 am

I forgot to say that the preview of Drafted I picked up last week was really cool.

For centuries, humanity has questioned the existence of life on other worlds. When we finally meet extraterrestrial life, it isn't exactly as we may have hoped... An alien race known as The Benefactors has come to help mankind fend off an invasion by another, more malevolent alien race. Throughout history the things that divide us have taken us to war with each other- now we find ourselves with one thing in common that will unite us like never before: As of today, WE HAVE BEEN DRAFTED.

I'm pretty excited about this book, seems like an old school sci fi idea - the dialogue is excellent and the art is really fresh. Grab a copy if you see it, there are loads of neat extras.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Leckomaniac on Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:32 pm

HOLY SHIT!!!! TODAY BRINGS SOME KICK ASS NEWS FROM THE TWO CONS!!!!!

MARK WAID IS BACK ON FLASH!!!!!!

Oh dear am I excited. Plus, it looks like the new series will be canceled with issue #13 and the title will return to the old numbering (next up is #231).

This has to have been one of the best kept secrets in recent memory. Not a single website caught hold of this rumor. What an amazing surprise.

As if THAT wasn't enough...

TERRY MOORE IS THE NEW SPIDEY LOVES MJ WRITER!!!.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Sat Jun 16, 2007 4:17 pm

The news just keeps getting better and better:

BENDIS TO TELL THE ORIGIN OF THE ULTIMATE UNIVERSE!

J. TORRES TO WRITE WONDER GIRL MINI!

GREEN ARROW/BLACK CANARY WEDDING SPECIALS!

DWAYNE MCDUFFIE NAMED NEW JLA WRITER!!!!

PETER DAVID NAMED NEW WRITER OF SHE-HULK!

Got all of that? Well good because there are still some amazing write-ups to be found over at NEWSARAMA regarding the X-Men crossover, World War Hulk, and the DCU panel. Check it out.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:54 pm

Mark Waid returns to creator-owned work! Check out POTTER'S FIELD. The artist is a relative unknown, Paul Azaceta, but his work looks fabulous. I have a feeling this guy is going to be a household name soon.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:16 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:HOLY SHIT!!!! TODAY BRINGS SOME KICK ASS NEWS FROM THE TWO CONS!!!!!

Oh dear am I excited. Plus, it looks like the new series will be canceled with issue #13 and the title will return to the old numbering (next up is #231).

Some days the universe just seems to love us, eh?
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:20 pm

DennisMM wrote:
Leckomaniac wrote:HOLY SHIT!!!! TODAY BRINGS SOME KICK ASS NEWS FROM THE TWO CONS!!!!!

Some days the universe just seems to love us, eh?

This is oh-so-true. Wally returning was exciting...Wally returning AND being written by Mark Waid. Well that is just so good I can taste it.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:38 pm

Behold! A 6 page preview of Mark Waid's glorious return to The Flash!
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:58 am

Excellent interview with Gillen and Mckelvie, creators of Phonogram over at CBR.

Great as an introduction to the TPB and as a glossary for those too young to recognise Luke Haines et al in their drawn comic forms.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Fried Gold on Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:44 am

Anyone know if The Boys is back in publication yet?
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby magicmonkey on Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:56 am

Cheers Dog, will have to look into this one.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby doglips on Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:06 pm

Fried Gold wrote:Anyone know if The Boys is back in publication yet?

Yeah, Dynamite have the rights, issue 7 sold out in the states and is up for a reprint I reckon you'll get a copy over here though.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby DennisMM on Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:15 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:Behold! A 6 page preview of Mark Waid's glorious return to The Flash!

I don't have an emoticon for this ... but it's a warm, happy smile tinged with good memories.

All Flash #1. For that, there's an emoticon: :D
DennisMM

Postby DennisMM on Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:55 pm

Last Friday, Leckomaniac told us that Mark Waid is writing Wally West again and I replied, half-jokingly but with great affection, "Some days the universe just seems to love us."

Through the run of 52, as DC slowly killed Vic Sage -- The Question -- with lung cancer, I remarked on the excellence of the 1980s series written by Dennis O'Neil and drawn largely by Denys Cowan. A student of Zen philosophy and a martial artist, respectively, they brought to their work personal experience with the themes of the book. I also remarked, with sorrow, on how little-known their version of the character is today.

On October 3 The Question is back in print.

Today I'm not joking when I say it. Some days the universe just seems to love us. Or, this week, me at least. :D
DennisMM

Postby Leckomaniac on Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:11 pm

I will be picking up the Question as quickly as I possibly can. Oh and check this out. It is the second Countdown teaser.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:24 pm

Sometimes...the universe toys with us. From Lying In The Gutters:

I'm told Mark Waid is only writing four issues of the Flash series. Possibly before taking over some nice big studly exec role at DC.

Now this is only a "yellow light" rumor, but still. I hope it is not true.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:28 pm

Dennis, I remember fondly that Question run. It was not like any comic I had read. So sophisticated and cerebral. I didn't understand ANY of it, but I devoured it all the same. It will be nice to pick up that collection and connect to it as an adult.

Okay, you guys need to help me out here. I have never been a BIG Flash fan. But I started to gain more interest because of Justice League Unlimited. I thought their rendition of the Flash was tits. But since the only Flash I have read since the initial 12 or so issues after Crisis on Infinite Earths was Flash: Fastest Man Alive (which started out lamely and then got REALLY good), I don't know why Mark Waid is such a cool thing.

Please enlighten me so I can be dorked about it too. And please don't tell me to go an pick up a bunch of trades. I won't.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:08 am

burlivesleftnut wrote:Dennis, I remember fondly that Question run. It was not like any comic I had read. So sophisticated and cerebral. I didn't understand ANY of it, but I devoured it all the same. It will be nice to pick up that collection and connect to it as an adult.

Okay, you guys need to help me out here. I have never been a BIG Flash fan. But I started to gain more interest because of Justice League Unlimited. I thought their rendition of the Flash was tits. But since the only Flash I have read since the initial 12 or so issues after Crisis on Infinite Earths was Flash: Fastest Man Alive (which started out lamely and then got REALLY good), I don't know why Mark Waid is such a cool thing.

Please enlighten me so I can be dorked about it too. And please don't tell me to go an pick up a bunch of trades. I won't.

In a nutshell, Mark Waid turned Wally West from an unlikable dude, into a fan favorite. His run was extremely long (and it had its ups and downs) but it was something ultimately something special. I think a lot of Wally West fans really connected to him the most during Waid's run.

I am not as familiar with it as Dennis is, so if you'd like you should read this.

Mark Waid, whose long run was ultimately followed by Geoff Johns' long run, built Wally up and allowed people a chance to like him.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:35 am

Wally went from being a troubled teenager to an asshole in the early issues or so of Flash, burl. They wanted a superhero who wasn't particularly likeable, apparently, and Mike Baron delievered that. Beginning in the 30s Bill Messner-Loebs pushed Wally in a more grown-up direction. Waid made the book not just a superhero comic about The Flash but a book about Wally learning to be a better hero (becoming, to me, THE Flash in spite of my long association with Barry Allen) and a better person. It was, though not deep, an excellent examination of what happens to someone who thinks he has nothing, learns he has everything he really needs and has to deal with losing it all.

Thanks for the reference, Lecko. I've gotta do some cleanup work on that. Typos, typos, typos.

I really hope the rumor about Waid writing four issues is just that. Marvel disappointed me badly by having Peter David write only one short Incredible Hulk arc during "House of M." Having Waid do such a short stint would truly bother me.
DennisMM

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:56 am

burlivesleftnut wrote:Okay, you guys need to help me out here. I have never been a BIG Flash fan. But I started to gain more interest because of Justice League Unlimited. I thought their rendition of the Flash was tits.

you won't find that goofy, endearingly chock-full of himself Wally in either the Waid or Johns runs tho', the characterization of Wally from JLU was Timm & Co.'s own spin on the character.

i was a tad annoyed at first, having been a huge fan of Geoff Johns run, but they did need some comic relief from the uber-seriousness of Bats, GL, WW, Shiera (especially Shiera) and eventually the character really grew on me.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:51 am

Hmmm. That blows. I guess I won't be reading.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Fawst on Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:08 am

Anyone here care about the story on the main page about Valiant reprinting Harbinger issues 0 through 7 in a hardcover book for $24.95? :) I am so thrilled about it, I was a major Valiant fan back in the day (before all the "lame" Valiant's showed up, like HARD Corps, Ninjak, Armorines...)
Prince of the Land of Stench!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:10 am

burlivesleftnut wrote:Hmmm. That blows. I guess I won't be reading.

Sorry to hear that. I've never seen JLU, as I don't watch much television, and didn't know how they characterize Wally. DCU Wally doesn't do much goofy. Oh, well.
DennisMM

Postby burlivesleftnut on Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:29 pm

He wasn't goofy... just youthful and witty. And a tad impulsive, but a REAL hero.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby DennisMM on Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:08 pm

I was working from kc's description above.
DennisMM

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:11 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:He wasn't goofy... just youthful and witty. And a tad impulsive, but a REAL hero.

well, "goofy" compared to all previous incarnations of The Flash I had come across...actually, fuck it, he was kinda goofy. But, yes indeedy, truly heroic.

DennisMM wrote:I was working from kc's description above.

you should check out JUSTICE LEAGUE and JLUNLIMITED on DVD if you get a chance DsM. It's far from perfect, there are some really weak episodes, but amid the duds and clunkers, every season without fail had at least 4-5 brilliant episodes. They even did a take on "FOR THE MAN WHO HAS EVERYTHING" that wasn't too awful.

Some really choice and exemplary voice work to boot, always fun to guess who some villain might be in real life.

As I said above, I found The Flash to be a bit goofy, but it was a welcome take on Speedy. The couple of episodes when he truly got to shine were some of the best the show had.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:35 pm

Yeah the single greatest moment of the series, I think, is when Wally almost gets sucked away by the Speed Force. I was biting back tears.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby DennisMM on Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:08 pm

Thanks for the recommendations! I've heard good things about JLU, especially.
DennisMM

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:24 pm

Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:43 pm

I agree. I saw that and got an immediately and long lasting boner. I am excited to see more about the Black Terror... his costume is one of the bestest ever.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Leckomaniac on Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:05 am

Well this may very well be the whackiest rumor I have ever heard. Beware this may contain spoilers for ANNIHILATION: CONQUEST, but its highly unlikely. This is coming from Silverbulletcomicbooks 'All The Rage' column.

[size=42][quote]I’ve been hearing for a little bit some people out there speculating that Marvel’s Wraith may be Rom, everyone’s favourite Space Knight. The latest place I saw this pop up is over at the excellent Occasional Superheroine blog.

So, what do I know? Well, I know that there are a few gifted writers out there that want a crack at Rom. To my knowledge, there has been / would be difficulty with the rights and everything, what with Hasbro owning them, et cetera. However, Marvel and Hasbro have been “working togetherâ€
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:11 am

Oh man, I wish ROM would come back and save us all. :-\
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:02 pm

An excellent interview with Gerard Way, lead singer of My Chemical Romance and author of the forthcoming "Umbrella Academy" courtesy of Dark Horse Comics.

You will also find a couple of preview pages that are incredible. Ba's art looks stunning as usual and James Jean on cover duty has my heart a fluttering.

Check it out
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:12 am

I read the Umbrella Academy free-comicbook day issue last week, and whilst the art from Ba is great the script seems forced into pretension - it's Fraction-lite dialogue and I was not too impressed.

However, the origin plot seems pretty quirky from those preview pages, so I'll definitely be picking this up, I just hope Way doesn't make it too quirky.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:56 am

Check out Jeff Smith's new project, RASL, and read an interview with the man himself right here.

Still haven't gotten around to reading BONE yet. It is on my list of things to do.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:18 am

Did anyone happen to read the first edition of DARK HORSE COMICS PRESENTS? It is online and it is free. I believe you have to be a myspace member to read it though. The stories are:

Sugarshock - Writer: Joss Whedon Art: Fabio Moon
The Umbrella Academy: Safe and Sound - Writer: Gerard Way Art: Gabriel Ba
Samurai: Heaven and Earth - Writer: Ron Marz Art: Luke Ross
The Comic-Con Murder Case - Writer + Art: Rick Geary

CHECK IT OUT
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

PreviousNext

Return to Comic Books