Comic Book News & Previews

Graphic novels. Weekly rags. The @$$holes.

Postby Mighty Manfred on Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:11 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:CBRs Rich Johnston reported a rumor he heard in his colum Lying Gutters. The rumor is, apparently, that Bruce Wayne is going to be killed sometime next year and that one of the Robins (Jason Todd, Tim Drake, Dick Grayson) will take over as Batman.

Wha????????

I mean seriously....WHA?!?!?!?!?!

Methinks DC was jealous of Marvel because of the Cap America death coverage.

I can believe it. The current Earth-1 universe is getting cut to pieces in Countdown to Final Crisis, and the Final Crisis is still six months away! The latest teaser shows Batman's cape on the ground, which Didio says indicates death. Also, when Donna, Jason and Kyle visited the one very peaceful Earth, Jason was Batman and much was made of Earth-1 Jason's failure to get past sidekick.
Hey, kids! Draw right on your computer screen!
Mighty Manfred
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby darkjedijaina on Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:46 pm

freddy vs. jason vs. ash is coming to the comic world. the first issue is out right now. here's a loverly pic of the interlocking covers.

darkjedijaina
BAD ASH

Postby vicious_bastard on Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:34 am

http://books.guardian.co.uk/news/articles/0,,2210276,00.html

I'm not a huge comic book fan (in fact I think this is my first post ever in this forum), but thought this article might interest some folks.
Marvel is putting some of its older comics online, in the hope that the move will reintroduce young people to the X-Men and Fantastic Four by showcasing the original issues in which such characters appeared.

It is a tentative foray onto the internet: comics can only be viewed in a browser, not downloaded, and new issues will only go online at least six months after they first appear in print.

Though most comic fans are collectors, some simply want to catch up on the backstory of their favorite characters and will no longer have to pay collector's prices to do so. About 2,500 issues will be available at the launch of Marvel Digital Comics, with 20 more being released each week.
vicious_bastard
AIRWOLF

Postby darkjedijaina on Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:42 pm

some scans from Freddy vs. Jason vs. Ash are here

i love how they put the CH CH CH AH AH AH in there.... *squee*
darkjedijaina
BAD ASH

Postby King Of Nowhere on Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:51 pm

darkjedijaina wrote:some scans from Freddy vs. Jason vs. Ash are here

That looks kickass.

few bad jokes, but kickass none the less.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby darkjedijaina on Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:52 pm

king_of_nowhere wrote:
darkjedijaina wrote:some scans from Freddy vs. Jason vs. Ash are here

That looks kickass.

few bad jokes, but kickass none the less.

i knoes! the bad jokes are what make it superrrrr, though. boy, oh boy, i'm gonna pick that up as soon as i have $$.
darkjedijaina
BAD ASH

Postby King Of Nowhere on Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:54 pm

I wish the local Forbidden Planet store sold shit like that.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

WILD CARDS

Postby TheButcher on Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:56 pm

George R.R. Martin's WILD CARDS is back.
Thanks to the Dabel Brothers.

Comics Continuum & Dabel Bros.
In spring 2008 the popular literary comic book publisher will launch comic book adaptations of three major properties: New York Times bestselling author Dean Koontz’s Frankenstein: Prodigal Son; Jim Butcher’s bestselling The Dresden Files; and George R.R. Martin’s Wild Cards. The graphic novel versions, to be distributed by Del Rey, will go on sale in summer/fall 2008.
Last edited by TheButcher on Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby DennisMM on Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:31 pm

I hope it's better than Marvel/Epic's miniseries from the '90s. That was dull.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby instant_karma on Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:58 pm

DennisMM wrote:I hope it's better than Marvel/Epic's miniseries from the '90s. That was dull.

God, was it ever. I think reading that miniseries actually put me off the whole Wild Cards thing. I'd read the first 5 books and then after reading the miniseries I never read another one.

Now I totally want to re-read them and the ones I didn't get to.
instant_karma
Comes in 4 exciting flavours

Postby DennisMM on Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:10 pm

I read all of the first series and the first two books of the second series. Don't know how they wrapped it up.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM

Postby darkjedijaina on Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:09 pm

here's a preview for issue two of Freddy Vs. Jason Vs. Ash. Issue #1 is on sale Nov. 28

darkjedijaina
BAD ASH

Postby unikrunk on Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:50 am

OH HELLS YES

From the mothersite; apparently this five issue outing is all new stories...FUCK YEAH!

/unikrunk is very excitable
He can't' love you back...
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby LaDracul on Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:44 pm

I personally can't wait for this one-
Japan Ai: A Tall Girl's Adventures in Japan

It's an account of Aimee Major Steinberger (A girl who worked on episodes of "The Simpsons" and "Futurama" at Rough Draft in Korea while she was in college and frequent Ball Jointed Doll columnist in "Haute Doll" magazine), a 6 ft. tall girl and her friends A.J. and Judy traveling in Japan. The highlights involve-

*Dressing as a Geisha
*Seeing a Takarazuka show
*Getting her Dolfie
*Cosplaying in Harajuku

This is definitely something that speaks to me, and maybe to some of the gals/sisters/girlfriends/wives/etc. you know...

It does sound like a nice companion piece to Patrick Macias's "Cruising the Anime City: An Otaku's Guide to Neo-Tokyo".
LaDracul
AIRWOLF

Postby Fievel on Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:43 am

unikrunk wrote:OH HELLS YES

From the mothersite; apparently this five issue outing is all new stories...FUCK YEAH!

/unikrunk is very excitable

I love Roland's demon eyes. Cool shit there!!!
But yeah, the fact that we're getting NEW and ORIGINAL stories is the best part of this new arc.

Can.

Not.

Wait.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby burlivesleftnut on Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:34 pm

What the--? Chloe finally makes DCU Continuity. Yeah!
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Chilli on Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:39 pm

Fantastic stuff.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby Spifftacular SquirrelGirl on Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:29 pm

I remember reading that they were going to bring Chloe in years ago but it never happened. Nice to see it finally going through now though.
Spifftacular SquirrelGirl
AIRWOLF

Postby Spifftacular SquirrelGirl on Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:22 am

Here's a weird news story... Joe Carnahan writing a Taskmaster miniseries for Marvel...

http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=141794
AIRWOLF

Postby burlivesleftnut on Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:38 am

That is weird. Maybe he has some stellar new idea, but wtf.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Leckomaniac on Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:47 pm

Um...

From Rich Johnston's LITG:

Frenzied old school DC fans may be placated by another series. What I hear is... Geoff Johns, Ethan Van Sciver, “Barry Allen: Rebirth."
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:26 pm

Haha, DC is so fuckered. BRING BACK ALL THE FLASHEZ!
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby buster00 on Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:16 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:Um...

Frenzied old school DC fans may be placated by another series. What I hear is... Geoff Johns, Ethan Van Sciver, “Barry Allen: Rebirth."

Make. It. So.

Earlier in that link, it's mentioned that they might kill off the current Aquaman or the current Martian Manhunter.

The good ideas just keep on coming, all of a sudden.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

WILD CARDS

Postby TheButcher on Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:14 pm

George R. R. Martin's Wild Cards: The Hard Call is a six issue miniseries launching in April, which will tell an entirely new story set in the Wild Cards universe. The story is set in the present day and begins when the Wild Card virus strikes again at a high school in Colorado. Dabel Brothers description for the story reads:

The survivors are rushed to New York City's clinic for those affected by the virus. And while one student has drawn the joker, two more have discovered that they are Aces – one with the power to release electricity from his body, and another with the ability to travel through mirrors. Meanwhile, Croyd Crenson, the ace known as "The Sleeper," has been framed for murder in the New York City slum known as Jokertown... and he's not going to rest until he clears his name.

source : newsarama

Croyd Crenson is back!
Last edited by TheButcher on Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Spifftacular SquirrelGirl on Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:17 pm

Does this mean that it's going to now be Barry Allen for the Flash movie?

Anyways, I just don't know... to me, Wally is the Flash.
AIRWOLF

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:20 pm

Spifftacular SquirrelGirl wrote:

Wally is The Flash for a lot of folks. Dennis and I were discussing this the other night. I still say that the last few issues of Bart Allen's run as Flash proved he could be a viable Flash as well. Like most, I was upset when they got rid of Wally, but if you are going to make a choice...stick by it. And if the plan was always to bring Wally back...have an organized plan in place....not the shit we saw.

Now, if they have decided to bring Barry Allen back...that would mean we would have three Flashes (Jay, Wally, and Barry). Boy am I concerned...even with the creative team in place.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Spifftacular SquirrelGirl on Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:22 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:
Spifftacular SquirrelGirl wrote:

Wally is The Flash for a lot of folks. Dennis and I were discussing this the other night. I still say that the last few issues of Bart Allen's run as Flash proved he could be a viable Flash as well. Like most, I was upset when they got rid of Wally, but if you are going to make a choice...stick by it. And if the plan was always to bring Wally back...have an organized plan in place....not the shit we saw.

Now, if they have decided to bring Barry Allen back...that would mean we would have three Flashes (Jay, Wally, and Barry). Boy am I concerned...even with the creative team in place.

The more I think about it didn't Alex Ross mention that the Kingdom Come Flash was actually Jay, Wally, and Barry all working together as one Flash? Is this just DC inching closer to the whole Kingdom Come universe a little more?
AIRWOLF

Postby DennisMM on Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:29 pm

I believe it was simply meant to be Wally, which is why Iris referred to The Flash as "Dad" in The Kingdom. He supposedly was moving so fast that he was everywhere in Keystone at once and many other places in the world, if he wished. That's why he was blurry; he was only occupying approximately the same space over any given fraction of a second.

I grew up with Barry. I lived with Barry through his manslaughter trial and death. I don't want Barry back. Wally is THE Flash.
DennisMM

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:30 pm

Spifftacular SquirrelGirl wrote:The more I think about it didn't Alex Ross mention that the Kingdom Come Flash was actually Jay, Wally, and Barry all working together as one Flash? Is this just DC inching closer to the whole Kingdom Come universe a little more?

Interesting. I haven't read KC in about a year so I am not certain about that...but with Johns writing the KC Superman in JSA I wouldn't doubt it. Perhaps this Flash: Rebirth is taking place on a different Earth? The KC Earth?

I don't know. With the exception of Final Crisis, All-Star Superman and All-New Atom...there is very little I am looking forward too from DC at this point.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:15 am

Sigh.

Marvel has cancelled Matt Fraction's The Order. Issue #10 will be the last of the series.

You can hear all about it and Matt's other Marvel work here.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:54 pm

What a drag. That was really turning into a favorite of mine.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby burlivesleftnut on Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:57 am

[quote="Marvel April Solits"]NOVA #12
Written by ANDY LANNING & DAN ABNETT
Penciled by PAUL PELLETIER
Cover by ALEX MALEEV
The New Mutant Warlock returns in an issue that propels Nova back into ANNIHILATION: CONQUEST! Still threatened by his deadly Phalanx virus, Richard Rider finally reaches Kvch, the never-before-seen Technarchy homeworld. But are the “parentsâ€
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby DennisMM on Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:09 pm

But only Sienkiewicz ever knew how to draw him, though Arthur Adams really tried.
DennisMM

Postby burlivesleftnut on Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:49 pm

I think Adams version was definitive.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Leckomaniac on Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:22 pm

So it was just recently announced that James Robinson would take over for Kurt Busiek writing Superman. I have yet to read any of his Starman stuff, but I know that tons of folks love it. Hopefully, we're in for some good Supes stories in 2008.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Spifftacular SquirrelGirl on Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:44 pm

[quote="burlivesleftnut"][quote="Marvel April Solits"]NOVA #12
Written by ANDY LANNING & DAN ABNETT
Penciled by PAUL PELLETIER
Cover by ALEX MALEEV
The New Mutant Warlock returns in an issue that propels Nova back into ANNIHILATION: CONQUEST! Still threatened by his deadly Phalanx virus, Richard Rider finally reaches Kvch, the never-before-seen Technarchy homeworld. But are the “parentsâ€
AIRWOLF

Postby burlivesleftnut on Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:47 pm

Cover for the Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull adaptation... kind of spoilery.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby burlivesleftnut on Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:53 pm

Spifftacular SquirrelGirl wrote:Are they going to let him keep that name or is there going to be two Warlocks around in Marvel Universe space? (Adam Warlock being the other one..)

Good point. Will be interesting to see how this is handled.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby DennisMM on Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:24 am

Interesting question. Warlock was destroyed in 1990. They brought back Adam in 1991, so they just missed having overlap. I wonder if Warlock was taken out of the game to allow Adam's return without confusion?

DC has had two Flashes running around on the same Earth, regularly, for more than 15 years now. Perhaps two Warlocks won't be considered an issue so long as they are clear about which Warlock is involved in a story. They might call Adam "Adam Warlock" whenever it seems reasonable.
DennisMM

Postby burlivesleftnut on Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:34 am

With the resergence of Adam Warlock, they should just change his name to Adam, considering that I am dubious that he is the real warlock (The High Evolutionary calls him "son", and refers to him as the "perfect human"). But who knows how it's all going to shake out. Warlock could be dead by the end of the series as could Adam Warlock.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:41 am

Didn't Warlock somehow merge with and reanimate Cypher's corpse and they became known as Douglock? I wasn't regularly reading the X books then so the details are fuzzy for me and I don't feel like looking it up.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:51 am

He abandoned the Douglock name and just became Warlock again. According to the wiki anyway.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:58 pm

Interesting news about DC and late artists. This comes from CBR's Lying In The Gutters:

There's been a lot of fuss of late about late comics. How they damage publishers, retailers, brands and consumer loyalty. Well, DC are taking a stand and it's gong to be brutal for some.

Sources close to freelancers inform me that DC Comics has a new in house policy for pencillers. Aside from very specific contracted creators (such as Jim Lee), any penciller contracted to work on a monthly book must deliver complete turnaround of 22 pages of work in four weeks. Not a month, four weeks. If that schedule isn't maintained, they'll pull pages and assign them to other creators. And you may run short of future work. A reduction in quality is more acceptable than a reduction in quantity.

Specific examples I've been given include the recent issue of "Wonder Woman" was half Dodson and half Ron Randall. Also why Koi Turnball was dropped from "Jack Hawksmoor." And it has been pointed out that there are already three fill-ins on the new "Legion" schedule.

Creators are also being dropped from exclusive contracts over this new regime. Expect certain publishing vultures to swarm.

So what do you folks think? Is this too harsh? Or is it about time?

EDIT:

DC's May Solicits

Marvel's May Solicits

Looks like Shadowpact is getting axed.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:18 pm

If an artist signs on for a monthly comic s/he should be prepared to live up to that commitment. Writers should be prepared as well - Heinberg is an excellent example of a writer who overreached, and my much-enjoyed Warren Ellis does it all the time. Occasional problems are almost unavoidable, but any artist who fails to deliver consistently should not expect to get the assignments.

Fill-in issues and split issues don't look so nice, and art pushed out in 28 days may not look quite as good as art pushed out in 30 or 31. It shouldn't look significantly different from a comic drawn in 31 days, though. Iif an artist can't pencil a page a day consistently, s/he shouldn't be drawing a monthly comic.

I once knew a young man who was touted as Marvel's hot new find. They decided he was a good match for Nomad, the version that was a Lone Wolf and Cub swipe. Clarke and Marvel both knew he couldn't handle a monthly book, so they decided he would draw eight or nine issues each year (if memory serves). He did well for the first few months, then the flow of art shrank to a trickle and after a while it came so slowly they had to take him off the book. He never had another assignment from a major publisher, to my knowledge, though he did some penciling for Neal Adams's Continuity line. That made sense, as he was a self-taught Neal Adams clone, anyway.

ETA: It also made sense because the Contuinity books tended to come out two or three times a year, often with no issues at all in some years.

Image Image
Last edited by DennisMM on Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:37 am, edited 3 times in total.
DennisMM

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:43 pm

Its good to see that DC is taking a stand against lateness. I wonder if Marvel is going to follow. Dennis sums it up perfectly, if you are paid to deliver content monthly...you should deliver. If you can't do that, you shouldn't take the gig or be punished for being late.

You know, kind of like how things operate in the real world.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:17 pm

JMS no longer exclusive to Marvel!

Must say, I'd love to see him play in the DCU sand box for a bit.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:37 pm

And to add on to my above post:

JMS was at the DC Universe panel at WonderCon and announced he will be writing some stuff for them. Didio said that JMS has his pick of anything he wants to write.

Interesting to see what he decides.

Would love to see him on Blue Beetle now that Rogers is leaving the title.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:20 pm

I'd like to see him stop writing comics for a long time. Like until after I die.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby buster00 on Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:26 pm

DennisMM wrote:I once knew a young man who was touted as Marvel's hot new find. They decided he was a good match for Nomad, the version that was a Lone Wolf and Cub swipe.

I kinda liked that series.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:39 am

Paul Pope pencils a portion of Lone Ranger #11!

I frakkin love Paul Pope. Might have to pick this issue up.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

PreviousNext

Return to Comic Books