Comic Book News & Previews

Graphic novels. Weekly rags. The @$$holes.

Re: Comic Book News & Previews

Postby The Vicar on Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:09 am

burlivesleftnut wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:
It was on the radio earlier wrote:Barack Obama will also take office as U.S. president in print this month, according to Marvel Comics, which is putting him on the cover of its next Spider-Man comic.

The special edition of the weekly Spider-Man comic will feature a six-page story about the superhero saving the day when an impostor tries to take Obama's place as president. It is due on sale in newsagents next week.

Does this mean Obama is part of Secret Invasion?

Well if you read Secret Invasion you would know that his message that of the Skrulls is eerily similar. But Obama wasn't killing people while he expressed his ideals... OR. DID. HE?

Yeah, but they were all bad.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

DC layoffs include Schreck, Sawicki

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:55 pm

Heidi MacDonald wrote:The Beat has confirmed that DC Senior Editor Bob Schreck was laid off yesterday. Other layoffs, expected in the wake of Warner Brothers’ companywide 10 percent reduction, include Subcriptions Manager Christine Sawicki and several MAD Magazine personnel. The magazine-related layoffs certainly reflect the general crumbling of the entire magazine business.

As for Schreck, the layoff is more of a surprise since he is generally considered one of the top editors in the business. Starting at Comico, he also worked at Dark Horse, where he edited SIN CITY and MADMAN, then co-founded Oni Press (with Joe Nozemack) and then moved to DC where he worked on THE DARK KNIGHT STRIKES AGAIN, ALL-STAR SUPERMAN, and ALL-STAR BATMAN AND ROBIN THE BOY WONDER. He moved to Vertigo two years ago, where his office was developing several new graphic novel projects, including THE NOBODY by Jeff Lemire.

Schreck’s departure won’t take effect for several months. Given his track record and long list of friends in the business, it’s unlikely he’ll be gone for long.

Source: The Beat
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

The Umbrella Academy: Dallas #3

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:02 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: DC layoffs include Schreck, Sawicki

Postby DennisMM on Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:56 am

TheButcher wrote:
Heidi MacDonald wrote:The Beat has confirmed that DC Senior Editor Bob Schreck was laid off yesterday. Other layoffs, expected in the wake of Warner Brothers’ companywide 10 percent reduction, include Subcriptions Manager Christine Sawicki and several MAD Magazine personnel. The magazine-related layoffs certainly reflect the general crumbling of the entire magazine business.

As for Schreck, the layoff is more of a surprise since he is generally considered one of the top editors in the business. Starting at Comico, he also worked at Dark Horse, where he edited SIN CITY and MADMAN, then co-founded Oni Press (with Joe Nozemack) and then moved to DC where he worked on THE DARK KNIGHT STRIKES AGAIN, ALL-STAR SUPERMAN, and ALL-STAR BATMAN AND ROBIN THE BOY WONDER. He moved to Vertigo two years ago, where his office was developing several new graphic novel projects, including THE NOBODY by Jeff Lemire.

Schreck’s departure won’t take effect for several months. Given his track record and long list of friends in the business, it’s unlikely he’ll be gone for long.

Source: The Beat

Too bad. Shreck is a talented fellow.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Re: The Umbrella Academy: Dallas #3

Postby Leckomaniac on Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:24 am

Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Re: The Umbrella Academy: Dallas #3

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:19 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:

Um, yes please!

Umbrella should be an ongoing. It's such a rich universe that I want it fleshed out a bit more. The first mini set up a buttload of mysteries and now I feel like i've been Lindelofed.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

The Nobody

Postby TheButcher on Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:43 pm

From Newsarama: Jeff Lemire - New Adventures of an Invisible Man
Chris Arrant wrote:Scheduled for release in July, The Nobody is a modern-day reinterpretation of H.G. Wells' classic novel The Invisible Man, in which the eponymous lead is hiding out in a small fishing village and finding that although he's invisible it's still hard to blend in.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Whatever Happened To Metamorpho

Postby TheButcher on Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:13 pm

From CBR: Gaiman & Allred on Metamorpho

Remy Minnick wrote:With the feature film adaptation of Neil Gaiman’s award-winning novel “Coraline” ready to hit theatres on February 6, CBR News sat down with the venerable author to discuss the movie. However, we discovered quickly a previously unannounced project for DC Comics: alongside fellow comics legend Mike Allred (“Madman,” "X-Statix"), Gaiman will pen a new story starring none other then The Element Man himself, Metamorpho.

Also known as Rex Mason, Metamorpho is familiar subject matter for Gaiman, and for many of his fans as well. The author had a brush with the character when he wrote the death of Element Girl, Metamorpho’s sidekick, in the memorable “The Sandman” chapter called “Façade.” “The Sandman” was also the home of the first pairing between Gaiman and Allred, who drew “The Golden Boy” chapter, telling the story of Prez Rickard, the youngest President of an alternate reality United States.

Neil Gaiman got involved with the Metamorpho story, which is yet untitled, when artist Allred contacted him to find out if Gaiman would be interested in writing something for him. “Allred said, ‘Have you ever wanted to write a Metamorpho comic, and have you ever wanted to write one for me?” Gaiman recalled. “I thought, ‘You know, I have such fondness for those original Bob Haney/Ramona Fradon comics, and I love Mike Allred’s art.”

Of course, Gaiman agreed to Allred’s proposal before his career kicked into an even higher gear and his latest novel, “The Graveyard Book,” won the prestigious Newbery Medal. As such, time is scarce. “I didn’t know I was going to be winning the Newbery Medal [and] I thought, ‘Yeah, I would be able to fit [Metamorpho] in between things,” Gaiman laughed. “Now, of course, I am fitting it in between sleeping and eating. I grab five minutes here and try and write a little bit of Metamorpho.”

At just twelve pages, Gaiman’s Metamorpho story appears to be but one piece of a larger Mike Allred project for DC Comics. “He’s doing this strange wonderful project, the entire nature of which I do not quite understand, save that this thing is going to be published in giant oversized pages,” Gaiman explained. “It’s a twelve page comic; so that’s the thing I’m doing for Mike and you’ll probably here more of that from DC.”

Check back with CBR News next Tuesday, when we continue our chat with Neil Gaiman, including details about his upcoming Batman story, the Newbery Medal, his thoughts on 3D films, and the feature debut of “Coraline.”
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Pacino86845 on Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:20 pm

That's pretty exciting news for me, particularly the Mike Allred part... thanks for the info Bill.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby TheButcher on Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:05 am

Your welcome.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

JERRY ORDWAY ON THE MARVEL FAMILY

Postby TheButcher on Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:35 am

From Wizard: JERRY ORDWAY ON THE MARVEL FAMILY
Jerry Whitworth wrote:The artist and writer, currently teaming with Geoff Johns on 'JSA,' dishes on the current arc and the status of all things Shazam!
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Leckomaniac on Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:51 am

Not sure if this was brought up anywhere else, but the folks behind the NYCC made a major announcement (especially for me).

In 2010, they will launch C2E2, that is, the Chicago Con & Entertainment Expo. Most importantly, instead of Wizard World, which is near O'Hare and away from the action, C2E2 is going to be located at McCormick Place, which is moments away from the heart of downtown Chicago.

C2E2 will also be in APRIL, coming in months before other major Cons (most notably Wizard World).

Not going to lie, I am pretty fucking pumped.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

SMASH = Purple Hulk?

Postby TheButcher on Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:30 pm

SMASH UNLEASHED! (ONE-SHOT)
story JEPH LOEB
art & cover ROB LIEFELD
APRIL 22 32 PAGES / FC$2.99
Who or what is the SMASH! Captured and exiled by the Soviets in 1954, General Jacob Kurtz was transformed into something far greater and more terrifying than anyone ever imagined. His years lost to him, he is now captive of Project:Rebirth. Or is he? SMASH explodes back on the scene in this introductory one-shot that sets the stage for SMASH! to be UNLEASHED!
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Invincible

Postby TheButcher on Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:32 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Matthew Sturges

Postby TheButcher on Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:33 pm

From NEWSARAMA: Behind the Page - Matthew Sturges, Part 1
Vaneta Rogers sits down with Jack of Fables, House of Mystery and the upcoming Justice Society of America writer
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Leckomaniac on Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:20 am

Holy. Balls.

Jonathan Hickman to take over FF after Millar!

For the three of you who regularly read my reviews, etc. you know my love of all things Hickman. But add to that the fact that Marvel STOLE Dale Eaglesham (JSA) from DC to handle the art and I am sold.

I will officially start collecting a Marvel monthly again. Thanks a lot Marvel.

But seriously. Hickamn? Fantastic Four?

So good. But does this spell the end of creator owned stuff from Hickman for a while? That is a shame.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:41 am

HA ha... suckered.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Leckomaniac on Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:04 pm

Oh thank heavens. From the NYCC IDW panel:

In July, IDW launches a monthly Doctor Who series. Writer Tony Lee said that he had “already spoken to the BBC” and presented them with “a massive six thousand word pitch.” The monthly will be like a season of the television series, he said. There will be new companions, because “if you do a new Martha story everybody knows how it ends. With new companions, you can do things people don’t know.” Although there will be “a lot of new stuff,” readers will also be treated to many old races and characters. “Al Davidson, a great artist, is doing the first two issues,” involving 1927 Hollywood and Charlie Chaplin. “Best fun I’ve ever had,” said Lee, who joked that he broke in with IDW by renting “a house opposite their office and watching them with night-vision goggles.”
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:09 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:Oh thank heavens. From the NYCC IDW panel:

In July, IDW launches a monthly Doctor Who series. Writer Tony Lee said that he had “already spoken to the BBC” and presented them with “a massive six thousand word pitch.” The monthly will be like a season of the television series, he said. There will be new companions, because “if you do a new Martha story everybody knows how it ends. With new companions, you can do things people don’t know.” Although there will be “a lot of new stuff,” readers will also be treated to many old races and characters. “Al Davidson, a great artist, is doing the first two issues,” involving 1927 Hollywood and Charlie Chaplin. “Best fun I’ve ever had,” said Lee, who joked that he broke in with IDW by renting “a house opposite their office and watching them with night-vision goggles.”

OSNAP! Now I can ignore Dr. Who in an all new medium!
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Leckomaniac on Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:13 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:
Leckomaniac wrote:Oh thank heavens. From the NYCC IDW panel:

OSNAP! Now I can ignore Dr. Who in an all new medium!

Some days, it's good to be burl. :wink:
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:38 pm

Keith Giffen is going to write a new DOOM PATROL book.

That sound you hear? That is the sound of me losing my mind. It would appear that I am going to be spending a lot of money on comics in the near future.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Vicar on Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:40 pm

Roll in the little good news we do get like a cat in a field of 'nip.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby DennisMM on Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:01 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:Keith Giffen is going to write a new DOOM PATROL book.

That sound you hear? That is the sound of me losing my mind. It would appear that I am going to be spending a lot of money on comics in the near future.

Gods, let it be crazy Keith Giffen and not 52 Keith Giffen. This could be the greatest Doom Patrol since Morrison.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM

Postby Leckomaniac on Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:19 pm

DennisMM wrote:
Leckomaniac wrote:Keith Giffen is going to write a new DOOM PATROL book.

Gods, let it be crazy Keith Giffen and not 52 Keith Giffen. This could be the greatest Doom Patrol since Morrison.

To make it even more sweet, the ENTIRE creative team behind JLI will be re-uniting to provide Metal Men back-ups in the new Doom Patrol series.

Yeah, take that all in.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Re: SMASH = Purple Hulk?

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:20 pm

TheButcher wrote:SMASH UNLEASHED! (ONE-SHOT)
story JEPH LOEB
art & cover ROB LIEFELD
APRIL 22 32 PAGES / FC$2.99
Who or what is the SMASH! Captured and exiled by the Soviets in 1954, General Jacob Kurtz was transformed into something far greater and more terrifying than anyone ever imagined. His years lost to him, he is now captive of Project:Rebirth. Or is he? SMASH explodes back on the scene in this introductory one-shot that sets the stage for SMASH! to be UNLEASHED!

Seriously? And perhaps more importantly, did anyone actually see Liefeld drawing this because I wouldn't be surprised if he just re-colored some Keown Hulk pages.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:46 pm

Jacob Kurtz? The King is now SMASH?
DennisMM

SEAGUY: THE SLAVES OF MICKEY EYE # 1

Postby TheButcher on Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:50 am

From Newsarama:
SEAGUY: THE SLAVES OF MICKEY EYE # 1
Written by Grant Morrison
Art and cover by Cameron Stewart

In 2008 alone, superstar writer Grant Morrison killed Batman, put the entire DC Universe through its FINAL CRISIS and concluded the unanimously beloved ALL-STAR SUPERMAN. But what does a writer who’s written every significant Super Hero do when he can create any Super Hero he wants? The answer, of course, is SEAGUY! Morrison (THE INVISIBLES) rejoins original SEAGUY artist Cameron Stewart (SEVEN SOLDIERS) in an all-new adventure starring the cult-favorite character!

In Seaguy’s cartoon future world, everyone is a Super Hero and no one dies. It’s absolutely perfect...Or is it? In this follow-up to the cult 2004 miniseries, Seaguy resurfaces with a sinister new partner, a hatred of the sea and a rebel restlessness he can’t explain. Why are Doc Hero and his ex-archenemy Silvan Niltoid, the Alien from Planet Earth, whispering strange equations? Why is Death so useless? And can that really be the ghost of Chubby Da Choona mumbling uncanny warnings and dire prophecies of ultimate catastrophe?

When the grotesque powers lurking behind the corporation known as Mickey Eye and the Happy Group attempt to erase Seaguy’s entire existence, can he possibly get it together in time to save a world so far gone it can’t even imagine the horror lying in wait? Find out here in Morrison’s own personal reframing of the Super Hero concept for the 21st century.

On sale April 1 • 1 of 3 • 40 pg, FC, $3.99 US • MATURE READERS

http://superpouvoir.com/~marv/DC-Comics/Vertigo/Solicitations/April_2009/SEAGSM_Cv1.jpg

The cover to Seaguy: the Slave of Mickey Eye was shown.
Berger said that the characters on the cover are three alternate versions of Seaguy, and said the sequel is “better than the original.”

Source: Newsarama NYCC '09 - The Vertigo Panel - $1 Comics and More
Last edited by TheButcher on Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Morrison and Quitely's BATMAN and ROBIN

Postby TheButcher on Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:43 pm

From CBR: LYING IN THE GUTTERS VOLUME 2 COLUMN 197
Rich Johnston wrote:LITG mentioned Grant Morrison working with Frank Quitely on a Batbook a while ago, that title appears to be "Batman And Robin," with rotating artists. Quitely to start for three issues, with more to come. One poster on Funnybook Babylon names Philip Tan for the next three, Doug Mahnke for three more and a final three from Quitely.

Another poster tagged Tony Daniel as the continuing artist for the Batman book. If his “Battle For The Cowl" series is well received, could he be writing it as well? DC have in the past been allergic to writer/artists, but maybe its time is coming again.

This schedule also indicates that these new books may be around for a year. Odds are you’ll see another change then, with some of the old books returning, and some of the new books sticking around.

Rich Johnston wrote:
The above story does throw a vague spotlight onto various chasms within DC Comics. And the antagonism amongst some DC staffers over the very existence of the "All Star Batman And Robin The Boy Wonder" title. They pushed the editor, first to Vertigo then out the door. They diluted Jim Lee's available time. And took full advantage of the Pottymouth Batman issue in terms of internal squabbling. And now? "Batman And Robin" by the "All Star Superman" team.

It's almost as if they're trying to say something.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Mike Carey & Peter Gross on Vertigo's The Unwritten

Postby TheButcher on Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:15 pm

From Newsarama:

Chris Arrant wrote:The story behind The Unwritten is another story.

That is, it's about Tom Taylor, a young man whose claim to fame is being the child star of his father's series of fantasy novels starting a young boy wizard "Tommy Taylor". Think Harry Potter if Harry Potter was real. But he's not the boy in the stories all grown up – he's merely inspiration for the name, but in the fervor over the Tommy Taylor books that makes him a star. All grown up now, he resembles a sort of child actor all grown up and living off his former fame. But he's content with that – making the most of the celebrity status his father inadvertently gave him.

But what if the stories are true? What if the stories described as 'fiction' turn out to be true stories? What if the world of fiction literature – both his books and more --- can somehow be real? Tom Taylor begins asking those questions when a shadowy cabal comes pay a visit and shakes up Tom's life.

The new Vertigo series is a mixture of new and old, both with the story and the storytellers. Writer Mike Carey and artist Peter Gross are no strangers to one another – they previously collaborated on the long-running series Lucifer that was also with Vertigo. The Unwritten is a new collaboration, one that's been building between the two for some time.

With The Unwritten's first issue scheduled to debut on May 13th with a special cover price of $1, Newsarama spoke with both creators to write about The Unwritten.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

CHEW

Postby TheButcher on Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:27 pm

From Newsarama: Wonder Con '09: John Layman on Debuting 'Chew'

Matt Brady wrote:
Newsarama: John - describe Chew for us, big-picture wise. What's the underlying idea, and who's the main character?

John Layman: Chew is the police procedural starring Tony Chu, a federal agent who gets psychic impressions from the things he eats. He’s Cibopathic, which means he can eat an apple, and tell you what tree it was harvested from and what pesticides were used on it. Or eat a hamburger, and feel what the cow felt when it was slaughtered. Or... he can chew on a murder victim, and see the victim’s last moment, and the murderer, and so on.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (Vol III)

Postby TheButcher on Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:24 pm

From Top Shelf Comix:

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (Vol III): Century #1 (of 3)
by Alan Moore & Kevin O'Neill

Co-Published By Top Shelf Productions & Knockabout

Top Shelf is proud to announce the all-new installment in the breathtaking series by Alan Moore and Kevin O'Neill! In The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (Vol III): Century #1 ("1910"), our familiar cast of Victorian literary characters enters the brave new world of the 20th century!

CHAPTER ONE
is set against a backdrop of London, 1910, twelve years after the failed Martian invasion and nine years since England put a man upon the moon. In the bowels of the British Museum, Carnacki the ghost-finder is plagued by visions of a shadowy occult order who are attempting to create something called a Moonchild, while on London's dockside the most notorious serial murderer of the previous century has returned to carry on his grisly trade. Working for Mycroft Holmes' British Intelligence alongside a rejuvenated Allan Quatermain, the reformed thief Anthony Raffles and the eternal warrior Orlando, Miss Murray is drawn into a brutal opera acted out upon the waterfront by players that include the furiously angry Pirate Jenny and the charismatic butcher known as Mac the Knife. This one is not to be missed!

This book will be the first of three deluxe, 80-page, full-color, perfect-bound graphic novellas, written by Alan Moore and illustrated by Kevin O'Neill -- with lettering by Todd Klein, and colors by Ben Dimagmaliw. Each self-contained narrative takes place in three distinct eras, building to an apocalyptic conclusion occurring in our own twenty-first century. -- 6 5/8" x 10 1/8"

SHIPPING APRIL 2009!

Captain Britain By Alan Moore & Alan Davis Omnibus HC Classic Costume Cover (Hardcover)

More on that Captain Britain Omnibus...
Captain Britain By Alan Moore & Alan Davis Omnibus HC (Hardcover) - $99.99/£65.00

by Alan Davis (Artist, Author), Paul Neary (Artist, Author), Alan Moore (Author), Dave Thorpe (Author), Michael Carlin (Author), Steve Craddock (Author), Mike Collins (Author), Jamie Delano (Author), Chris Claremont (Author)

One of the Marvel Universe's most staggering sagas from two of Britain's most remarkable writers, reprinted in total for the first time!

Captain Britain fights to save a universe...and fails! But a single reality is small change in the game Merlyn's playing against Mad Jim Jaspers, who's rewriting reality so he's the center of the universe! Worlds collide, heroes and villains die, and Captain Britain's beside himself - except when he's fighting himself...to the death!

Featuring the first appearances of the metamorphic Meggan, Opal Luna Saturnyne, the Captain Britain Corps, and more! Plus: Psylocke joins the X-Men, and the X-Men join Captain Britain on a cosmic quest into the secrets of life and death! The fiendish Fury, the horrific Horde, and the malevolent Mojo are only a few of the adversaries who await within! Also guest-starring the New Mutants and Captain America!

Collects Marvel Super-Heroes (UK) #377-388, The Daredevils (UK) #1-11, Captain America #305-306, Mighty World of Marvel (UK) #7-16, Captain Britain (UK) #1-14, New Mutants Annual #2, and Uncanny X-Men Annual #11.

Hardcover: 672 pages Publisher: Marvel Comics (April 1 2009)
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Pacino86845 on Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:50 pm

Can't friggin' wait for the League of Extraordinary gentlemen!!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby burlivesleftnut on Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:08 am

That Captain Britain Omnibus sounds all kinds of awesome.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:07 pm

No longer rumor. It is official.

Grant Morrison/Frank Quitely: Batman & Robin

Art can be seen in the link.

Sign me up twice.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:04 pm

Wow.

You remember how it was announced that DOOM PATROL would feature a Metal Men back-up? Well it looks like DC isn't finished announcing back-features. Dan Didio announced today that Booster Gold will be featuring a Blue Beetle (!!!) back-up, while Teen Titans would feature a Ravager back-up. Now, these stories will be IN ADDITION to the normal pages of story within the book so the series with back-up features will see a price increase (2.99 to 3.99). But I at least feel this is better than what Marvel did, which is just increasing the price with no added material. I love this idea.

I, for one, will now be buying Booster Gold. Jamie lives on!

Link here
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:06 am

Leckomaniac wrote:No longer rumor. It is official.

Grant Morrison/Frank Quitely: Batman & Robin

Art can be seen in the link.

Sign me up twice.

I can get behind that. What's the setting, I wonder, or, rather, the continuity?
DennisMM

Postby Leckomaniac on Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:01 am

It is in continuity. It stars the new batman and the new robin.

12 issues, four 3 issue arcs that tell a larger tale.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:00 pm

Gotcha. Thanks. Man, I'm so out of touch with Batman I didn't know there was a new Robin, also.
DennisMM

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:27 am

DennisMM wrote:Gotcha. Thanks. Man, I'm so out of touch with Batman I didn't know there was a new Robin, also.

No one knows who it is, but judging by the art, I am guessing Bruce's son Damien with Dick as Batman.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby instant_karma on Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:41 am

DennisMM wrote:Gotcha. Thanks. Man, I'm so out of touch with Batman I didn't know there was a new Robin, also.

You didn't know?!? Dude, you're missing out on some really cool stuff. The new Robin is actually Bruce Wayne!!! See, at the end of Final Crisis, after killing Darkseid Bruce falls backwards through time. leaving him stranded back in the prehistoric era. In a cool comic book coincidence, he discovers a Lazarus Pit in a cave. Deciding that he can't save Gotham whilst stuck in Olden Times, he decides to take a gamble and drown himself in the pit by weighing himself down with rocks. His hope is that he will be discovered in the future and retrieved alive from the pit. He then spends six months fashioning crude chemistry tools with which he can make enough explosives to blow up the cave and seal him in.

Flash forward to present day and the pit sits in the middle of some high tech facility. A figure who we don't see, yanks Bruce out of the pit. But it's not the Bruce who drowned himself! Having spent thousands of years in the pit, the aging process has actually reversed, so Bruce now appears to be about 13 years old. The other side effect of being in the pit is that he has no memory of who he is and he is slightly insane (although all his skills seem to be intact Jason Bourne style!). The mysterious figure that pulled him out of the pit drugs Bruce, who wakes up in Gotham in Crime Alley. Wandering streets that he finds madeningly familier it doesn't take him long before he comes accross some punks that want to mess with him. Watching the gang cirlce the kid, Batman is about to swoop down from the rooftops and intervene, but stops in surprise as the kids kicks the punks asses.

Uh, this started out as a quick joke, but I now realise that I have a whole story arc in mind and am now writing fan fiction :oops: . So I'm stopping now.

The bit about falling back through time after killing Darkseid is true thought, hence the spoiler tag.
instant_karma
Comes in 4 exciting flavours

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:30 am

haha, that sounds pretty fun! I will claim the idea as my own and write to DC right now. sucka.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby instant_karma on Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:08 am

burlivesleftnut wrote:haha, that sounds pretty fun! I will claim the idea as my own and write to DC right now. sucka.

Good luck with with! They sent back my idea for a 'Mazing Man reboot where he finds one of the Dial H for Hero dials back unopened...
instant_karma
Comes in 4 exciting flavours

Postby DennisMM on Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:49 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:

No one knows who it is, but judging by the art, I am guessing Bruce's son Damien with Dick as Batman.

Thanks, burl. I knew there would be a new Batman, but I hadn't heard about Robin at all. Makes sense, as I wouldn't expect Tim to go back to being Robin after he'd battled for the cowl (or whatever it was).
DennisMM

Buck Rogers

Postby TheButcher on Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:47 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Keith Giffen's Authority

Postby TheButcher on Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:56 pm

From Newsarama: Keith Giffen on Finishing Morrison's Authority

Vaneta Rogers wrote:It's been a long time coming.

The Authority story that was started by Grant Morrison over two years ago is being finished by writer Keith Giffen, who will be on the comic for a 12-issue run.

Wildstorm confirmed last week at the ComicsPRO summit in Memphis that Keith Giffen is taking over The Authority beginning with issue #3 to complete the already-started run by Morrison. Although an artist and start date for the next issue have not been announced, Hank Kanalz of WildStorm indicated that the third issue wouldn't be released until the story is finished, to avoid any more delays.

Newsarama: So you're taking over the Authority where Grant Morrison left off?

Keith Giffen: That's the plan. I think Grant got two issues out before things got in the way, and [Wildstorm editor] Scott Peterson called up and asked me if I'd be interested in continuing the book. He knows that I've got a real soft spot for the Authority. I like the characters and I like the concept. And once I talked to Grant and made sure he was OK with it – and got a little bit of his feedback, especially with the first story, as to where he pictured it going – I just took it and ran with it. So I'll run it through to the end of a 12-issue run.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Buck Rogers

Postby Fried Gold on Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:56 pm

TheButcher wrote:A CBR EXCLUSIVE: Buck Rogers #1 Covers by Ross & Cassaday

Had a look at the #0 issue in the shop. Looks quite nice, but I'm not sure why the Tron-like style was chosen.

Dynamite's titles have tended to be of quality recently. They're even making a new Judge Dredd book with John Wagner and Garth Ennis.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Re: Keith Giffen's Authority

Postby DennisMM on Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:30 pm

TheButcher wrote:From Newsarama: Keith Giffen on Finishing Morrison's Authority

As much as Grant Morrison drives his work down into the dullness of opacity at times, I liked those two teaser issues and wanted him to come back to finish them. I don't know about Giffen, whose work I respect generally, being able to handle the tone.
DennisMM

Postby ministrybase on Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:05 am

What was everyone's take on Watchman?
ministrybase
GLIB

Postby ministrybase on Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:33 am

[IMG]http://i735.photobucket.com/albums/ww355/ministrybase/ministrywallpaper.jpg[/IMG]

Check out the Ministry comic. You can find it at www.indyplanet.com
ministrybase
GLIB

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:25 pm

Apparently Detective Comics #853, originally listed for a late February release, has been pushed back again. Now scheduled for end of this month (or possibly even start of May.) Seems a bit silly for a two parter. Is it delayed production or a story telling reshuffle?

And what are all these "After Watchmen, What's Next?" comics around at the moment?
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

PreviousNext

Return to Comic Books