Comic Book News & Previews

Graphic novels. Weekly rags. The @$$holes.

Re: Comic Book News & Previews

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:13 pm

Fried Gold wrote:Apparently Detective Comics #853, originally listed for a late February release, has been pushed back again. Now scheduled for end of this month (or possibly even start of May.) Seems a bit silly for a two parter. Is it delayed production or a story telling reshuffle?

And what are all these "After Watchmen, What's Next?" comics around at the moment?

I explained this to burl in the New Comic thread, but basically DC/Vertigo/Wildstorm are trying to capitalize on any fans that may wonder their way due to the WATCHMEN film. Therefore, they are re-released books that may attract the same audience for $1. So far, they have done the first issue of Moore's Swamp Thing, Planetary #1, Preacher #1, and a few more.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Whatever Happened To Metamorpho

Postby TheButcher on Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:29 am

From twitter:
Neil Gaiman wrote:Catching up continues. Metamorpho, introductions and speeches all getting written, concurrently and a bit at a time.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby ministrybase on Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:15 am

I'm a fan of both writers, Morrision more than Griffen. However, I feel that since Wildstorm changed hands, Authority has been handled properly and this is just another example of mismanagement. In it's heydays, I followed Authority with great pleasure and yes, it was a huge influence of my own work, Ministry. However, I now feel that it lack the bite it once had and the controversial Midnighter/Apollo relationship has never been fully explored nor treated with respect since the days of Warren Ellis.
ministrybase
GLIB

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (Vol III)

Postby TheButcher on Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:00 pm

From TopShelf: Preview of League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (Vol III): Century #1

From CBR:
Greg Burgas wrote:Leigh Walton of Top Shelf was kind enough to send me an “advance uncorrected black-and-white galley” of some new comics periodical called The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Century: 1910 by some guys named Alan Moore and Kevin O’Neill. Man, they’re never going to become stars if they keep the titles that long! I’d like to thank Mr. Walton for sending it over to me. It’s coming out next month, but now is a fine time to review it, right?
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby DennisMM on Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:05 am

When does the damned thing ship, for all the gods' sake? Seems as if it was solicited last fall!
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby Gerald Fried on Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:14 am

DennisMM wrote:When does the damned thing ship, for all the gods' sake? Seems as if it was solicited last fall!

"The first two installments of this volume are set to be released in April & October 2009, the third following in 2010."
- http://www.topshelfcomix.com/catalog.php?type=13

But I believe comic distribution months don't sync with the normal calendar. So April actually means June/July/August.
Gerald Fried
STEAK-A-BABY

Darwyn Cooke's PARKER

Postby TheButcher on Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:44 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (Vol III)

Postby TheButcher on Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:50 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Dark Reign: The Sinister Spider-Man

Postby TheButcher on Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:52 pm

From CBR: THE OSBORN SUPREMACY: Venom

Paul Webster's lyrics to the theme from the 1967 “Spider-Man” cartoon famously proclaimed, “Wealth and fame he's ignored. Action is his reward.” Now that Norman Osborn's Dark Reign has begun, that’s no longer the case. Indeed, Osborn has given the Marvel Universe a new, very public web-slinger. This Spider-Man is hungry for riches, acclaim, and occasionally-- human flesh! His name is Mac Gargan and he's the star of “Dark Reign: The Sinister Spider-Man,” a four-issue miniseries by writer Brian Reed and artist Chris Bachalo, which begins this June. CBR News spoke with Reed about the series.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Mulitiversity by Grant Morrison

Postby TheButcher on Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:57 am

From The ComicBloc Forums:
Mulitiversity by Grant Morrison
joesmallville wrote:The new Wizard (in shops Wednesday) has an interview with Grant Morrison and he reveals that his Multiverse project is called Multiversity

It is a seven issue series (more like seven one-shots, since all the issues will be #1) that will showcase the major superhero group of 7 Earths. Each issue will focus on 1 group and also have a series "bible", that provides the back story to that particular Earth. The issues will tie together to tell a single story "that reimagines the relationship between the DCU and the Multiverse"

He talked about the Charlton Universe specifically saying that he is writing it as if Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons had pitched Watchmen today, using the contemporary political climate but with the actual Charlton characters.

He also hinted at a "Marvel Family" from Earth 5 issue intended as an all-ages book.

He said that he wants this to be his best story ever so he is going to take all the time he needs to write the seven issues.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:39 pm

Free Comic Book Day is this Saturday apparently.

Blackest Night #0 is one of the free issues.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

FCBD 2009

Postby TheButcher on Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:33 pm

From the FCBD website:

Gold Comics:

AVENGERS
BLACKEST NIGHT #0
BONGO COMICS FREE-FOR-ALL!
DISNEY/PIXAR'S CARS #1
RESURRECTION #0
SAVAGE DRAGON #148
SHONEN JUMP PRESENTS: ULTIMO
STAR WARS: THE CLONE WARS/DH ALL-AGES
ARCHIE PRESENTS: THE MIGHTY ARCHIE ART PLAYERS
TRANSFORMERS ANIMATED/G.I. JOE

Silver Comics:

ALIENS/PREDATOR
APE CARTOONAPALOOZA #2
ARCANA STUDIO PRESENTS
ATOMIC ROBO AND FRIENDS
ATTACK OF THE ALTERNA-ZOMBIES!
COMICS FESTIVAL! 2009 VOLUME 3
CONTRACT #1
CYBERFORCE/HUNTER-KILLER PREVIEW
DABEL BROS. SHOWCASE
DC KIDS MEGA SAMPLER
FCHS
FIST OF JUSTICE #1
GOLD DIGGER #101/PRINCE OF HEROES
IMPACT UNIVERSITY VOLUME 5
LOVE & CAPES
LOVE & ROCKETS SAMPLER
MERCY SPARX: UNDER NEW MANAGEMENT
NANCY & MELVIN MONSTER
NASCAR HEROES: ORIGINS #1
OWLY AND FRIENDS
RADICAL 2009 PREVIEW
SONIC THE HEDGEHOG: EVOLUTION OF A HERO
STUDIO 407 SAMPLER
The Stuff of Legend
THE WIZARD HOT LIST
TMNT #1 25TH ANNIVERSARY REPRINT
WARHAMMER FANTASY
WILLIAM SHATNER PRESENTS
WOLVERINE: ORIGIN OF AN X-MAN
WORLDS OF ASPEN #4
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

The Umbrella Academy: Dallas #6

Postby TheButcher on Fri May 01, 2009 3:55 pm

CBR has a 4 page preview of issue #6.
Release Date: Wed, May 13th, 2009
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

CHEW

Postby TheButcher on Fri May 01, 2009 4:00 pm

From Newsarama: Wonder Con '09: John Layman on Debuting 'Chew'

Matt Brady wrote:
Newsarama: John - describe Chew for us, big-picture wise. What's the underlying idea, and who's the main character?

John Layman: Chew is the police procedural starring Tony Chu, a federal agent who gets psychic impressions from the things he eats. He’s Cibopathic, which means he can eat an apple, and tell you what tree it was harvested from and what pesticides were used on it. Or eat a hamburger, and feel what the cow felt when it was slaughtered. Or... he can chew on a murder victim, and see the victim’s last moment, and the murderer, and so on.

From CBR:
John Layman Bites Back in "Chew"
Rob Guillory: The Art Of "Chew"
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: FCBD 2009

Postby Fried Gold on Fri May 01, 2009 5:13 pm

TheButcher wrote:From the FCBD website:

Gold Comics:

AVENGERS
BLACKEST NIGHT #0
BONGO COMICS FREE-FOR-ALL!
DISNEY/PIXAR'S CARS #1
RESURRECTION #0
SAVAGE DRAGON #148
SHONEN JUMP PRESENTS: ULTIMO
STAR WARS: THE CLONE WARS/DH ALL-AGES
ARCHIE PRESENTS: THE MIGHTY ARCHIE ART PLAYERS
TRANSFORMERS ANIMATED/G.I. JOE

Silver Comics:

ALIENS/PREDATOR
APE CARTOONAPALOOZA #2
ARCANA STUDIO PRESENTS
ATOMIC ROBO AND FRIENDS
ATTACK OF THE ALTERNA-ZOMBIES!
COMICS FESTIVAL! 2009 VOLUME 3
CONTRACT #1
CYBERFORCE/HUNTER-KILLER PREVIEW
DABEL BROS. SHOWCASE
DC KIDS MEGA SAMPLER
FCHS
FIST OF JUSTICE #1
GOLD DIGGER #101/PRINCE OF HEROES
IMPACT UNIVERSITY VOLUME 5
LOVE & CAPES
LOVE & ROCKETS SAMPLER
MERCY SPARX: UNDER NEW MANAGEMENT
NANCY & MELVIN MONSTER
NASCAR HEROES: ORIGINS #1
OWLY AND FRIENDS
RADICAL 2009 PREVIEW
SONIC THE HEDGEHOG: EVOLUTION OF A HERO
STUDIO 407 SAMPLER
The Stuff of Legend
THE WIZARD HOT LIST
TMNT #1 25TH ANNIVERSARY REPRINT
WARHAMMER FANTASY
WILLIAM SHATNER PRESENTS
WOLVERINE: ORIGIN OF AN X-MAN
WORLDS OF ASPEN #4

What's the difference between the "gold" and "silver" comics? (Why the classification?)
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Fri May 01, 2009 7:20 pm

Gold Sponsors are selected by the FCBD selection committee and are limited to 10 publishers. There are some publisher requirements (must be color, standard size, 32 pages, etc). Retailers are required to buy at least $5 worth of all Gold Sponsor comics.

Silver sponsors have less requirements for the publisher (it can be less pages or B&W). Retailers also get to pick and choose their order numbers for these. As far as I know, there is no minimum order requirement.

The distinction has nothing to do with quality. Just publishing and order requirements.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Sat May 02, 2009 11:48 am

Leckomaniac wrote:Gold Sponsors are selected by the FCBD selection committee and are limited to 10 publishers. There are some publisher requirements (must be color, standard size, 32 pages, etc). Retailers are required to buy at least $5 worth of all Gold Sponsor comics.

Silver sponsors have less requirements for the publisher (it can be less pages or B&W). Retailers also get to pick and choose their order numbers for these. As far as I know, there is no minimum order requirement.

The distinction has nothing to do with quality. Just publishing and order requirements.

It was a bit of a waste of time. My local comic shop had 3....yes 3...copies of the Green Lantern comic. And they were already gone by the time I got there. The guys in there were disappointed it seems with what the distributors had sent them.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Wed May 06, 2009 2:17 pm

Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheButcher on Fri May 08, 2009 7:40 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Invincible

Postby TheButcher on Tue May 12, 2009 6:45 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Geoff Johns: On Returns and Rebirths

Postby TheButcher on Thu May 14, 2009 6:25 am

Last edited by TheButcher on Fri May 15, 2009 3:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Olympus

Postby TheButcher on Fri May 15, 2009 3:45 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Warlord of Io

Postby TheButcher on Fri May 15, 2009 3:50 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Deadpool: Merc with a Mouth

Postby TheButcher on Fri May 15, 2009 3:50 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

The Green Hornet

Postby TheButcher on Fri May 15, 2009 3:52 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Justice League: Cry for Justice

Postby TheButcher on Sat May 16, 2009 2:46 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck

Postby TheButcher on Tue May 26, 2009 8:02 pm

From CBR: LYING IN THE GUTTERS VOLUME 2 COLUMN 211
Rich Johnston wrote:I understand that Boom Studios has won the comic book license for "Walt Disney Comics And Stories," "Mickey Mouse And Friends," "Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck," "Donald Duck" and more.

Boom has recently shown much promise with its well received Disney Pixar and "Muppet Show" comic books, and this seems reward for its efforts,

Both titles were previously published by Steve Geppi's Gemstone, a publisher that has been seen to be suffering of late.

Expect to see this reflected in solicitations shortly.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue May 26, 2009 9:55 pm

More importantly...

LITG is coming to an end! Wow. Crazy.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

BleedingCool.com

Postby TheButcher on Tue May 26, 2009 11:38 pm

Never fear my friend.
Rich Johnston wrote:Next Monday. A new blogsite begins. BleedingCool.com. Imagine LITG four times a day, seven days a week. Bookmark the site... and please feel free to pass it on.

Cheers all. You don't get rid of me that easily.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed May 27, 2009 12:07 am

Boo-Yah!

From the transcript it seems that CBR is going to have a new gossip columnist? Interesting to see who that is and how it all plays out.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu May 28, 2009 11:22 pm

Rich Johnston strikes from beyond the (proverbial) grave!

If you follow the column regularly, you will know that recently Rich highlighted two plus years worth of DC message board posts from Dwayne McDuffie. In those posts, McDuffie is very honest about the difficulties he has faced writing the JLA book. He is frank about editorial interference and their withholding of certain characters from him. Well, McDuffie has now posted that Rich's highlighting of those posts brought them to the attention of DC who have now fired McDuffie.

As he himself puts it:

“I’m told my removal had nothing to with either the quality of my work or the level of sales, rather with my revelation of behind-the-scenes creative discussions.”

Pretty fucking shitty if you ask me. I haven't liked McDuffie's work, but it is obvious to anyone with a brain that the problem has been that McDuffie hasn't been given any level of creative control. And to be fired for speaking openly and honestly with the fans is not the right signal for DC to send.

Links to all this stuff can be found following the link I posted.

EDIT: Here is McDuffie's full comment on the subject.

I was fired when "Lying in the Gutters" ran a compilation of two years or so of my answers to fans' questions on the DC Comics discussion boards. I'm told my removal had nothing to with either the quality of my work or the level of sales, rather with my revelation of behind-the-scenes creative discussions.

I have to say I'm a bit disappointed, because next summer was planned to feature a JLA-driven crossover, where my book's story line would have been the driving force. I'm distressed by where I left Black Canary, as my intention was to use the current subplot to strengthen her character and relationships with the new membership, and instead I'm leaving her at the bottom of a hole I'd intended to rebuild her from. I was also just about to get a regular artist for the first time since I've been on the book, which would have been nice. That said, I'm sure DC's going to put together a creative team that will generate major excitement around JLA, which is as it should be.

As for me, I'm still busy story-editing both Ben 10: Alien Force (just nominated for 3 Emmys!) and the upcoming new Ben 10 series "Ben 10: Evolutions." As far as comic-related stuff, the all-new "Milestone Forever," is still on track for late this year/early next year, and the Milestone trade paperback program is in full swing, with Static Shock, Icon and Hardware volumes already on the way. I've also recently completed a console video game script that I can't talk about yet, but that will be of interest to anyone reading this thread. I'm currently writing a Direct-To-Video animated feature for Warner Animation, the second of two I've taken on this year. Again, I can't say what they are until they're officially announced, but they're likely of interest to superhero fans, and one of them I can't help looking at as what-could-have-been. You'll see what I mean.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

MAGOG

Postby TheButcher on Fri May 29, 2009 7:13 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: MAGOG

Postby Fried Gold on Fri May 29, 2009 7:56 pm

I found the recent JSA story with Magog to be a bit dull. It just involved a bunch of hippies walking around in the jungle, moping about their lives.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Sat May 30, 2009 1:01 am

Yeah the story in JSA was not very good, but I just dig Giffen's approach to the DCU at this point. The pledge the create all new characters? Count me in. He, Morrison, and (sometimes) Johns are the only ones who seem to get it. Create something new. Give back to the communal pool. If he makes good on his promise, than this book and Doom Patrol should be an interesting addition to the current DCU line-up.

I will give this a shot based purely on my desire for NEW material in the DCU and the strength of his relaunch of Blue Beetle.

"I think that's critical in comics right now," he said. "The old communal well has been plundered to the point of depletion. Time to restock it."

Amen.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sat May 30, 2009 2:46 am

Lecko I have mixed feelings about MacDuffie getting fired. It probably was because oh his belly aching, but smart people know not to bite the hand that feeds you. But also, MacDuffie is just a crap writer. Even with a bunch of editorial mandates, if he's talented enough he could still write great stories around it. I just don't think he has the creative chops to do it... at least not with JLA.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Mark Millar And Dave Gibbons

Postby TheButcher on Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:19 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Mark Millar And Dave Gibbons

Postby Leckomaniac on Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:57 pm

Fixed.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Batman and Robin

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:52 am

Leckomaniac wrote:

Fixed.

From IGN: Batman and Robin #1 Preview
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Darwin Cooke's Parker: The Hunter

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:49 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Batman and Robin

Postby Pacino86845 on Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:21 am

TheButcher wrote:From IGN: Batman and Robin #1 Preview

Cannot wait!!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Re: Batman and Robin

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:32 am

Pacino86845 wrote:
TheButcher wrote:From IGN: Batman and Robin #1 Preview

Cannot wait!!

Indeed.

I also like this idea of "The Network" from the Battle for the Cowl series, which appears to be continued on in this.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:32 pm

Yeah the whole network idea is great. Worked great with Birds of Prey, but now taking it city wide... just an excellent idea. In fact, I would love to see a Gotham Team Up book come out of this.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Fried Gold on Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:40 am

burlivesleftnut wrote:Yeah the whole network idea is great. Worked great with Birds of Prey, but now taking it city wide... just an excellent idea. In fact, I would love to see a Gotham Team Up book come out of this.

Definitely. I was wondering if the Battle for the Cowl: The Network issue was something of a pilot for a proper series.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

PLANETARY

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:38 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: PLANETARY

Postby DennisMM on Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:07 pm

TheButcher wrote:From Bleeding Cool: Planetary #27 to ship from DC/Wildstorm in October.

WHOO HOO!

'bout fucking time.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM

Postby burlivesleftnut on Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:23 pm

I thought planetary was finished anyway?
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Predator #1

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:20 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby DennisMM on Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:45 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:I thought planetary was finished anyway?

Planetary #26 wrapped up the main conflict with The Four, but #27 is an epilogue that supposedly will wrap up the series as a whole. Exactly what that will involve remains confidential.
DennisMM

MAGOG

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:52 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Trick ‘r Treat

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:13 am

A /film First Look: Trick ‘r Treat Graphic Novel
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

PreviousNext