Comic Book News & Previews

Graphic novels. Weekly rags. The @$$holes.

Tom Strong and the Robots of Doom

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:58 pm

From SprouseNet: A Quick Comics Update

Chris Sprouse wrote:As of this week, there are currently three new books on the racks at your local comic book shop featuring my work: WildC.A.T.S. #11, Authority #11, and a new trade paperback edition of Ocean featuring a new sketchbook section and a few new character design sheets that didn't make the first edition.

I am currently still hard at work on Tom Strong and the Robots of Doom. I'm also spending some time tonight and this weekend compiling previously unpublished art for inclusion in the three forthcoming Tom Strong deluxe hardcover collections. That's right--good news for the SprouseNet readers wondering about the content and format of these slightly over-sized books: I can now tell everyone that Wildstorm is planning to collect the entire series in three volumes, with lots of extras and new cover art. I can't wait to see these things myself!

The PlanktonPod has a new playlist now. It's currently loaded with a Jason Falkner playlist. Falkner is a criminally underrated power pop artist whose work is maddeningly difficult to find in U.S. stores, but it's almost all available on iTunes or at Amazon.com--go check it out!

--C
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

FINAL CRISIS AFTERMATH: DANCE #2

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:01 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Batman: Streets of Gotham

Postby TheButcher on Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:45 am

From The Source: Mr. Zsasz
And Mark Chiarello knows this. So, as is our habit, we cornered the DC Art Director to pick out some covers from our coming September books to show them off here. Less talk. More art. Happy Friday.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Comic Book News & Previews

Postby thefraze on Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:22 pm

Heroes-Con is this weekend in Charlotte, NC. Bendis and Claremont will be there, among others.

Anyone going?

http://www.heroesonline.com/heroescon.html
"I've seen "The Exorcist" about a hundred and sixty-seven times, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT... "
thefraze
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Fievel on Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:56 pm

Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Captain America

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:03 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Captain America

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:29 am

Man, fuck Marvel for over-hyping this shit. It was totally fucking ridiculous. OMG we're releasing it on MONDAY I wonder what it will be?

And it was the most OBVIOUS.FUCKING.THING.EVER.

EPIC FAIL
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Re: Captain America vs INVINCIBLE #63

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:58 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:

Man, fuck Marvel for over-hyping this shit. It was totally fucking ridiculous. OMG we're releasing it on MONDAY I wonder what it will be?

And it was the most OBVIOUS.FUCKING.THING.EVER.

EPIC FAIL

I think Robert Kirkman feels the same way.

"All I'm saying is INVINCIBLE #63 reorders should be double or triple over all retailer's orders combined plus fifty thousand," Kirkman stated. "I even heard President Barack Obama might call a press conference to discuss the contents of this very special issue, because there may be something of national interest in there. Also, every newspaper ever could possibly make it a front page story. Who knows?! All I can say for sure is every single human being on the planet, regardless of whether they read comics or even know what they are, will definitely be extremely interested in this issue, maybe even enough to buy a copy!"

INVINCIBLE #63 might even possibly be the biggest comic book event of all time, up there with The Death of Superman, The Death of Captain America, The Entirety of the Early Nineties and Action Comics #1! The only certainty is everyone must place a ridiculously massive order for a non-returnable product they may or may not make a profit on sometime in the near future. Or never. Don't ask - just buy it! You trust us, right?

Added Image Comics Publisher ericstephenson, "There's a chance this could very possibly an event of undetermined importance, both for comics fans and people of all walks of life, with only the most passing familiarity with comic books, or even books, period. We can't really say what happens in this issue, but trust, something does happen. And it might even be something interesting. Best not to jinx it, though, so let's just go with, 'Something happens.' It's somewhat likely a number of people we have yet to identify will want one. "

source: CBR
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:02 am

HA! I read that and thought it was HILARIOUS and a perfect send up of the over zealous PR machine that Marvel had running.

Kirkman may be one of the more unique voices in comics at the moment. Not so much in his WORK but in his PHILOSOPHY and position in the industry.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:47 pm

Die Hard: Year One. I'm in. Sounds fun.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

The Marvelous Land of Oz

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:53 am

Last edited by TheButcher on Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Batman and Robin #2

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:33 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:47 am

From MySpace Comics: An exclusive preview of Greek Street!
http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuse ... =493842779
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:06 pm

TheButcher wrote:From MySpace Comics: An exclusive preview of Greek Street!
http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuse ... =493842779

This preview was in the back of most Vertigo books this month. Looks good. I'll be checking out the first issue. It is only $1, so why not?
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

JMS To Leave Thor

Postby TheButcher on Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:08 pm

From BleedingCool:
JMS To Leave Thor

From CBR:
JMS Confirms "Thor" Exit
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: JMS To Leave Thor

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:32 am

TheButcher wrote:From BleedingCool:
JMS To Leave Thor

From CBR:
JMS Confirms "Thor" Exit

From the sounds of it, since Changeling happened, he's attached as screenwriter to hundreds of different films so probably doesn't have the time.

He's gone from some annoyance to the system (post-Babylon5), to being massively in demand for everything.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

JMS & Superman

Postby TheButcher on Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:38 am

From SciFiScoop: ‘Lensman’: J. Michael Straczynski’s Next Big Sci-Fi Project

From CBR July 1st, 2008: REFLECTIONS: J. Michael Straczynski, Part II
If you could only write one comic for the rest of your career, what would it be?

“Superman.”

JMS Confirms "Thor" Exit
Jeffrey Renaud wrote:Can fans expect to see you take more work at DC Comics?

Before getting to DC, one of the things that will be facilitated by the time and space previously occupied by “Thor” is the deal I made with Image Comics to do two creator-owned titles for them. We made the deal almost a year ago, but I felt guilty about doing something of my own that would take away time from my obligations on “Thor.” So I can now address that deal with, as Balzac said, “clean hands and composure” and get those two books on the rails.

The DC work has gone and is going extremely well. We’re about six scripts deep into “The Brave and The Bold,” believe it or not. I just wrote Batman
and Brother Power, the Geek, and it may be the best of the bunch, so we're way ahead since the first issue doesn't ship until September. All four Red Circle scripts are in and drawn, and I'm working on a secret project for DC that I hope we can discuss at San Diego Comic-Con. Suffice to say: anyone who knows me knows that there's something I've wanted to do for my entire creative life, something that I'd give my right arm to write...something I've been actively chasing for over ten years. There's one character, one property, that if George Lucas said "Here's a million dollars, go write whatever you want and I'll shoot it, but you'll have to drop that book," I would say no and never, ever look back.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby burlivesleftnut on Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:45 pm

Well considering Robinson is leaving to do JLA, it makes sense for him to pick up Superman. I am not a huge JMS fan, but his Thor run has made me less wary.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Leckomaniac on Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:33 pm

JMS on Supes would make me happy. Lets hope he has enough pull to tell DC editorial to go scratch.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:14 pm

I just wish he'd finish The Twelve, for heaven's sake!
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby burlivesleftnut on Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:16 pm

DennisMM wrote:I just wish he'd finish The Twelve, for heaven's sake!

Why? It's so fucking dull. I wish he would unwrite it from my brain somehow.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby mkriner1970 on Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:08 am

OK everyone is talking about the new books but I have yet to see one person mention anything from Zenescope......I just read issue one of Salems Daughter this book by far has a lot going on and is a fantastic read, artwork is beatiful and draws you in. I have always been a fan of non mainstream books and this book is by far the best book to come out in the last few weeks.If you enjoy fantastic story tell and beatiful artwork pick this book up before it goes to a second print.
mkriner1970
GLIB

Postby Leckomaniac on Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:53 pm

Holy shit!!! Marvel announced today that they now own the rights to Marvelman!!! could we finLly see a proper reprint of Alan Moore's Miracleman?? Methinks so!
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:03 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:

It's my second favorite Marvel title, after X-Factor. But you dislike that, too, so there's not much point discussing.
DennisMM

Postby DennisMM on Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:04 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:Holy shit!!! Marvel announced today that they now own the rights to Marvelman!!! could we finLly see a proper reprint of Alan Moore's Miracleman?? Methinks so!

Quite possibly, but we'll never get the rest of "The Silver Age." Just won't happen, even if Gaiman does write for Marvel sometimes. I just don't think he'll be interested.
DennisMM

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:17 am

DennisMM wrote:
burlivesleftnut wrote:

It's my second favorite Marvel title, after X-Factor. But you dislike that, too, so there's not much point discussing.

Actually, So-Quick-To-Judge, I have been enjoying X-Factor of late. So nyahhh!
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Marvelman/Miracleman

Postby TheButcher on Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:34 pm

From CBR:
SDCC ‘09 | Robot 6’s Marvelman 101 guide
Lying In The Gutters Mon, November 18th, 2002
THE NEW RETURN OF 'MARVELMAN'

[Green Light]So from whom? Todd McFarlane? Neil Gaiman and Marvel? Or could they be just be squabbling over a husk of a property? So Dez Skinn then? Garry Leach? Alan Moore? But did they own it in the first place? Did Dez Skinn's Warrior just pick it up from the supposedly public domain gutter, before it was renamed "Miracleman" for the US market?

But "Marvelman" was originally created, or rather recreated by Mick Anglo for the UK market from the ashes of "Captain Marvel," no longer allowed to be published after the DC/Fawcett legal case over similarities to Superman.

From TheBeat 11/16/06 : Does Mick Anglo own Miracleman?

From CBR: LYING IN THE GUTTERS VOLUME 2 COLUMN 211
Rich Johnston wrote:One of the most returned-to stories over the history of this column, and the ones that preceded it, concern Marvelman/Miracleman. I spent ages tracking down contracts, working out who had percentage of what, who handed what percentage of their own percentage to whom, what contracts were valid, who screwed over who, before it turned out that everybody owned the rights to their own work they created for the comic series, but the only one who actually owned the rights to Marvelman/Miracleman was original creator Mick Anglo.

What was once thought a bankruptcy of the original publisher Miller, turns out to have been the winding up and closing down of the company,

John Campbell and his brother of Emotiv Records in Glasgow formed a relationship with Mick Anglo, and currently represent his rights in the matter.

And Moore recently stated that he was happy for his work to be used to help Mick Anglo out in that respect, whether that be in reprints, a cartoon series or whatever.

It's this "whatever" that is causing some concern, however.

One proposal, to circumvent a number of rights issues, would be to take Moore's original scripts for the series and offer them to other artists to draw, And as the current state of play have none of the Marvelman/Miracleman artists owning any rights to the series as a whole, this proposed "remake" would see them without a penny in royalties.

And this wouldn't cover the Neil Gaiman/Mark Buckingham issues either.

Expect to see a number of possibilities, and versions of the series in the near future. though not necessarily the version you actually want. As Steve Bissette said, if you want this series, find the cheapest way to buy the issues of the original series - and do it now.

From CBR: CCI: Mark Buckingham on Marvelman
From NEWSARAMA:
UPDATED: SDCC 09: MARVELMAN Belongs to Marvel
Dial H for History — Marvelman Edition!

Neil Gaiman says he's delighted that Marvel Comics has bought Marvelman rights
Last edited by TheButcher on Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

The Umbrella Academy: Hotel Oblivion

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:11 am

From MySpace: The Umbrella Academy MySpace Blog
Gerard Way's panel at SDCC

Gerard Way hosted a panel today at the San Diego Comic Con, along with editor Scott Allie and special guest Mikey Way.

They mostly talked about the new Umbrella Academy Comic, and Gerards new comic Killjoys before taking questions from the crowd. Here are some notes gathered from the panel.

-The new Umbrella Academy series will be named "Hotel Oblivion".

-The release date is still to be determined, but the series should be out by the end of the year.

-Concerning the tone of the series, Gerard said "It's now the point where we can start having a lot more fun with the Umbrella Academy."

-This series will show us "how extra sadistic and badass Hargreeves was".

-We will also see what became of many of the Umbrella Academy's rogues gallery, including the Murder Magician!

A few details were given about Gerard's new comic, featuring art by Becky Cloonan.

-The full title will be "The Fabulous True Lives of the Killjoys"

-It was concieved with old friend Shaun Simon, while on tour years ago. During a time when they were "just eating raw life".

-The series "focuses on a guy who just wants his Ramones records back".
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:44 am

My heavens, does that all sound amazing.

Gerard Way continues to impress me. I will undoubtedly be purchasing anything he writes until he proves himsel capable of writing a boring comic. Because he hasn't done it, yet.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

JMS & Superman

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:15 pm

From CBR:
CCI: J. Michael Straczynski
Straczynski also said that he is "doing another book which I've been told I can't talk about. So I can't say a word of what this book is until we get a proper announcement." Straczynski then started to shuffle papers at the dais while humming the theme to Richard Donner's "Superman". The audience cheered in response.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

God help us.

Postby BuckyO'harre on Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:17 pm

Jennifer Love Hewitt is making her own comic.

Hewitt is set to release a ten-issue anthology thriller/horror comic book series called "The Music Box"
which involves a mysterious music box that causes strange things to happen.
Hewitt says, "The chance to create my very own comic, and a horror/thriller at that, is like a very fun nightmare come true.I've always been fascinated by the notion that an inanimate object can hold as much malevolent energy as a human being can. And when the two meet, or are at cross purposes, very bad things can happen."

In all fairness, the comic might not be THAT bad considering Scott Lobdell has signed on to write, who has written for the Fantastic Four, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and other Marvel Comics.

In any event, the first issue of "Jennifer Love Hewitt's The Music Box" (yes, that's the formal title) comes
out in November.
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:20 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:My heavens, does that all sound amazing.

Gerard Way continues to impress me. I will undoubtedly be purchasing anything he writes until he proves himsel capable of writing a boring comic. Because he hasn't done it, yet.

cosign. The dude is full of surprises.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby DennisMM on Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:50 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:
DennisMM wrote:
burlivesleftnut wrote:

Actually, So-Quick-To-Judge, I have been enjoying X-Factor of late. So nyahhh!

Oh, snap on me.

I'm sorry.
DennisMM

Marvelman

Postby TheButcher on Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:29 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Comicnerd on Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:06 pm

Check it out: http://www.semantink.com/page3/page4/page4.html

Artist: Jed Soriano
Writer: James Ninness

Had a good time at Comic-Con...

*updated with pic. Sorry guys, I wasn't at my home comp so I couldn't post a pic the first time around. Check out the first four pages online at the link above...
Less flash, more substance.
Comicnerd
GLIB

Postby burlivesleftnut on Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:02 pm

What's it about?
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Comicnerd on Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:50 pm

The idea for Mythoi came from a deep-seeded love I have for Mythology, but then twisted and warped into its own form... It started with the idea: What if every single mythology were true, and what would the world look like today, if that were the case?

From there, I built five characters, whose base-mythologies fascinate me. Vito, a child vampire. Yuki, a Japanese spirit, Taros, the son of Ares, Wiglaf, the son of Abel, and Touch, our cyborg character upon whom the moral dilemma is centered: What is a "soul"? It's been a blast to write because I get to nerd out by having a vampire fight Medusa, or by having a cyborg fight ancient, elemental, Japanese dragons, or maybe even pitting the son of the Greek God of War against the various children of Grendel's mother... I mean, I really get to go nuts, which is awesome! But at the heart of it all is this tale about gods, forgotten by man, and hurt by their abandonment (among other things...).

So, I wrote a 60 issue summary, in five major (12 issue) arcs and started pitching them around. I got some bites, but found that the best deal for me as a writer from Semantink Publishing, a new San Diego based publishing house. I hooked up with an amazing artist named Jed Soriano, who loved the story as much as I do, and the two of us have been going crazy on this for the last three months.

Now, we just need to sell some pre-orders so Semantink keeps us around after they get more properties... We've been nervous, but the Comic-Con response was pretty positive, so, we're hoping people enjoy it as much as we do.

I realize that I gave you more on the process than the plot, so sorry... I geek out when I get a chance to talk about it.

When you look at the poster, the characters are: Wiglaf (top left), Touch (right), Taros (bottom), Yuki (left), and Vito (in the center).
Comicnerd
GLIB

Postby burlivesleftnut on Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:58 pm

It sounds great. I am no position to pre-order shit, but I will definitely read if I see it on comic shelves.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Comicnerd on Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:49 pm

Sweet! Thanks man, that's all I can ask. Anything is appreciated.
Comicnerd
GLIB

Dark Horse Acquires Gold Key/Valiant Heroes

Postby TheButcher on Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:08 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Frankencastle wtf?

Postby TheButcher on Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:10 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Comicnerd on Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:42 pm

Frankencastle, eh? I dunno about that one... I feel like we've played the whole Frank-Castle-is-more-than-human game before, and we (the reader) lost... But I guess I will reserve my judgment until I read it...
Comicnerd
GLIB

Postby DennisMM on Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:33 pm

Back in the '90s, Castle died and came back as a tool of heaven's vengeance or some such. Fortunately, somebody had him blow away the angels that controlled him. That's plenty of supernatural Punisher for me.
DennisMM

Postby Comicnerd on Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:52 pm

Thanks Dennis.

I couldn't agree more.
Comicnerd
GLIB

Re: Marvelman

Postby TheButcher on Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:20 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Pacino86845 on Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:29 am

Very interesting interview, as Alan Moore interviews often are. I've never read any Marvelman but as an Alan Moore whore I can't wait to have a look. It's cool that Mick Anglo's getting his share of the money.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby DennisMM on Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:59 pm

Books one and two are interesting and impressive especially if you remember the time in which they were written and drawn. The art is highly variable, especially on book two. Book three, "Olympus," is stunning.
DennisMM

Postby Pacino86845 on Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:30 pm

Thanks Dennis, I will temper my expectations but I can look at "older" (dodgier?) comic art and still appreciate it... in many cases it looks a lot better than most modern stuff, especially that damned "Americanime" look I've seen on the shelves.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby DennisMM on Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:09 pm

Excellent attitude. The problem isn't so much the age, because the earliest artists - Alan Davis and Garry Leach - are very good by the standards of any period of comics. The problems arrive when inappropriate artists (Rich Veitch) or simply incompetent artists (Chuck Beckum) take over. Beckum was terribly disappointing and Veitch just doesn't handle certain kinds of work very well. Fortunately, book three is illustrated in wondrous pointillist style by Steve Bissette.
DennisMM

PreviousNext

Return to Comic Books